milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:55 pm

The issue with images and the vertical black bar on right hand side also seems to be present with cover art (it's easier to see by enabling the webserver and pointing a browser at the R-Pi, then clicking on Movies in the browser).

Example attached, notice the 10 pixel wide black bar on the right hand side - in the original image the white background is from edge to edge. Actually it doesn't appear that the image has been cropped, rather the original image has been resized to include the additional 10 pixel black bar on the right hand side. Not all cover art has been resized to include the black bar, although most has.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (54.66 KiB) Viewed 6152 times

sraue
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:01 pm

milhouse wrote:The issue with images and the vertical black bar on right hand side also seems to be present with cover art (it's easier to see by enabling the webserver and pointing a browser at the R-Pi, then clicking on Movies in the browser).
check /usr/share/xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml which contains our default values we setup... maybe some are not optimal, you can override this values with a own advancedsettings.xml in /storage/.xbmc/userdata

jasjeet
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 6:00 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:07 pm

milhouse wrote:
sraue wrote:Hi,

Another short update (r11315):
SD card performance (Transcend 8GB Class 10) is better than in previous builds (I've been following the SD card thread - very interesting!). Testing with "hdparm -tT /dev/mmcblk0" (non-destructive so safe for anyone else to try!) results in the following:

Code: Select all

Before (r 11286):
 Timing cached reads:    52 MB in  2.02 seconds =  25.77 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  26 MB in  3.11 seconds =   8.37 MB/sec

After (r 11315):
 Timing cached reads:    66 MB in  2.05 seconds =  32.13 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  54 MB in  3.05 seconds =  17.72 MB/sec
So double the performance - probably due to the clock doubling from 25MHz to 50MHz as the default in this new build. Excellent work all concerned! :)

One immediately obvious regression is the CPU load while the GUI is idle - it's pegged at 80% in this build, when previously it would tick over at 3-5%. All I've done is boot this build, then let it sit at the opening menu for 5 minutes but still the CPU is hammering away and I don't know why. I briefly enabled Debugging to confirm there is nothing being logged so it doesn't look as though it's busy doing work.

If you SSH in, run command: top
Then youll see true CPU usage, the GUI one is inaccurate i think.

Also for people building OpenELEC, just run these commands to update your build
git pull
PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make

There is no need to run 'make clean' unless you have problems, running the update the above method will take a lot less time to complete too.

milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:11 pm

sraue wrote: check /usr/share/xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml which contains our default values we setup... maybe some are not optimal, you can override this values with a own advancedsettings.xml in /storage/.xbmc/userdata
I've got nothing relevant to images in my advancedsettings.xml, so presumably I'm generating thumbnails with default XBMC settings:

Code: Select all

<advancedsettings>
  <splash>false</splash>
  <showexitbutton>false</showexitbutton>
  <cputempcommand>cputemp</cputempcommand>
  <gputempcommand>gputemp</gputempcommand>

  <videodatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>192.168.0.6</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>xbmc</user>
    <pass>xbmc</pass>
  </videodatabase>

  <musicdatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>192.168.0.6</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>xbmc</user>
    <pass>xbmc</pass>
  </musicdatabase>

  <gui>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
    <nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
    <visualizedirtyregions>off</visualizedirtyregions>
  </gui>

  <samba>
    <clienttimeout>30</clienttimeout>
  </samba>

</advancedsettings>

milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:13 pm

jasjeet wrote:If you SSH in, run command: top
Then youll see true CPU usage, the GUI one is inaccurate i think.
Yep, that's what I'm using to determine idle CPU load - I only enabled Debugging to briefly monitor the log and see if there were any background processes running wild (there didn't appear to be).

sraue
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:26 pm

milhouse wrote:
sraue wrote: check /usr/share/xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml which contains our default values we setup... maybe some are not optimal, you can override this values with a own advancedsettings.xml in /storage/.xbmc/userdata
I've got nothing relevant to images in my advancedsettings.xml, so presumably I'm generating thumbnails with default XBMC settings:

Code: Select all

<advancedsettings>
...
</advancedsettings>
thats yours in /storage/.xbmc/userdata ? XBMC supports more then one in different locations, we provide a default one /usr/share/xbmc/system/ which is used too, together with yours. All values from ours are overridden by yours *if* you setup the same values byself (you can see also in xbmc.log)

milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:40 pm

sraue wrote: thats yours in /storage/.xbmc/userdata ? XBMC supports more then one in different locations, we provide a default one /usr/share/xbmc/system/ which is used too, together with yours. All values from ours are overridden by yours *if* you setup the same values byself (you can see also in xbmc.log)
Ah right, gotcha - sorry.

Yes, the OE defaults seem to be generating 352x512 cover art (from 1000x1500), and 912x512 fanart (from 1920x1080) - the vertical black bar on fanart seems to be 8 pixels wide. Will try some different defaults and see what happens...

Edit: Although thinking about this... I can understand the images being resized, but I don't understand why a black bar is being added to the right hand side. The black bar is a part of the resized image - it's not being displayed because the image is too small or the new dimensions don't perfectly fit the display, the black bar has actually been added during the resize process. No matter what value I should use for the fanart or thumbnail settings, I can't understand why anyone would want a black bar added to the generated image - so this must be a bug in the resizing process?

Lightning303
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:16 am

milhouse wrote:
sraue wrote: thats yours in /storage/.xbmc/userdata ? XBMC supports more then one in different locations, we provide a default one /usr/share/xbmc/system/ which is used too, together with yours. All values from ours are overridden by yours *if* you setup the same values byself (you can see also in xbmc.log)
Ah right, gotcha - sorry.

Yes, the OE defaults seem to be generating 352x512 cover art (from 1000x1500), and 912x512 fanart (from 1920x1080) - the vertical black bar on fanart seems to be 8 pixels wide. Will try some different defaults and see what happens...

Edit: Although thinking about this... I can understand the images being resized, but I don't understand why a black bar is being added to the right hand side. The black bar is a part of the resized image - it's not being displayed because the image is too small or the new dimensions don't perfectly fit the display, the black bar has actually been added during the resize process. No matter what value I should use for the fanart or thumbnail settings, I can't understand why anyone would want a black bar added to the generated image - so this must be a bug in the resizing process?
Maybe because the aspect ratios dont fit 100%?
1500/1000 = 1,5
512/352 = 1,4545

So, without stretching the picture, xbmc has 2 options, either cut a bit off, or append a black bar. Well thats at least where my money is at =).

milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:54 am

Lightning303 wrote:Maybe because the aspect ratios dont fit 100%?
1500/1000 = 1,5
512/352 = 1,4545

So, without stretching the picture, xbmc has 2 options, either cut a bit off, or append a black bar. Well thats at least where my money is at =).
Admittedly I'm no expert on this and the maths makes my head hurt, but the R-Pi is obviously squashing (resampling) the images to achieve the new size, so it should be possible to generate the smaller thumbnails without cutting anything off, or adding anything on (it does the latter). It's perfectly possible to resize a 1000x1500 image precisely down to 352x512 without the need to add on a 10 pixel black bar. Adding on the vertical 10 pixel bar means the original image has actually been squashed down to 342x512 - smaller than necessary.

Lightning303
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:22 am

milhouse wrote:
Lightning303 wrote:Maybe because the aspect ratios dont fit 100%?
1500/1000 = 1,5
512/352 = 1,4545

So, without stretching the picture, xbmc has 2 options, either cut a bit off, or append a black bar. Well thats at least where my money is at =).
Admittedly I'm no expert on this and the maths makes my head hurt, but the R-Pi is obviously squashing (resampling) the images to achieve the new size, so it should be possible to generate the smaller thumbnails without cutting anything off, or adding anything on (it does the latter). It's perfectly possible to resize a 1000x1500 image precisely down to 352x512 without the need to add on a 10 pixel black bar. Adding on the vertical 10 pixel bar means the original image has actually been squashed down to 342x512 - smaller than necessary.
Well, when xbmc would make a 352x512 picture out of a 1000x1500 pixture without adding a black bar nor cutting something off, the picture would be streched, which is the least favourable solution.
Instead it makes a 342x512 pciture (as you said) and adds 10px of black bar.

512/342 = 1,49707
which comes pretty near our desired 1,5 aspect ratio :).

LastSilmaril
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 8:16 pm
Location: New York, USA

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:13 am

Build 11312 doesn't load, hangs for 30 secs before complaining that /dev/mmcblk0p1 (e.g. the SYSTEM partition) cannot be read. Tried recopying SYSTEM from that build - nothing. It worked again when I went back to r11298. I'm sure we're way past this by now buildwise but just a head's up all the same.

b0x
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:20 am

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:02 am

11315 is out now, 312 is so... yesterday

komple
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Composit output

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:32 am

With new version 312 I still have a problem with videos, if I play any video through composite cable to my tv or projector.
Is it some sync option, anyone has any ideoa what I can try?


Thanks

Lightning303
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:20 am

LastSilmaril wrote:Build 11312 doesn't load, hangs for 30 secs before complaining that /dev/mmcblk0p1 (e.g. the SYSTEM partition) cannot be read. Tried recopying SYSTEM from that build - nothing. It worked again when I went back to r11298. I'm sure we're way past this by now buildwise but just a head's up all the same.
the changes to the kernel needs updated bootloaderfiles which you can find in the build in the folder 3rdpart/bootloader.
Hope that will help :)

komple
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:24 am

One more question... how to update from files for manual installation. There is img file SYSTEM, do I need to use dd to write it to 3 partition on card?

Please if someone knows answer to my previous question....

asherkin
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:26 am

Re: Composit output

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:27 am

komple wrote:With new version 312 I still have a problem with videos, if I play any video through composite cable to my tv or projector.
Is it some sync option, anyone has any ideoa what I can try?
Make sure you've changed the audio output to use analogue instead of HDMI.

Goofy
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:58 am

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 am

komple wrote:One more question... how to update from files for manual installation. There is img file SYSTEM, do I need to use dd to write it to 3 partition on card?

Please if someone knows answer to my previous question....
Just copy SYSTEM and KERNEL files (including md5's) using samba to "Update" share, see
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title ... g_OpenELEC.

You can also use:
scp target/* [email protected]<ipaddress>:/storage/.update/

and for bootloader stuff:
scp 3rdparty/bootloader/* [email protected]<ipaddress>:/flash/

robleady
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:34 am

Hi,

Can anyone explain to me how the various video configuration settings are supposed to work with OpenELEC and XBMC ?

Out of the box (ie no config.txt) XBMC decides to use DMA hdmi_mode=39 1360x768 60Hz whereas the screen is capable of doing 1080i. Forcing things to CEA hdmi_mode=5 1080i 60Hz displays OK, but with overscan (picture bigger than the screen) but regardless of what I use for the overscan_xxx parameters, XBMC appears to ignore them.

Using the video calibration tool within XBMC, I can get the initial GUI to display correctly, however those settings don't seem to be being used when I play full screen video - the screen is still too big. When exiting from full screen, the XBMC GUI becomes smaller than it should be, as if something's doubled up the overscan figures that got used when I did the video calibration previously.

Then, if I reboot, everything appears to be lost and I'm back to the GUI with overscan.

Any pointers ? I've tried various builds of OpenELEC - and have just finished compiling 11315 so will see if that changes things.

Cheers,

Rob

nomasteryoda
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:38 am

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:51 am

Responding to anyone having the "Rainbow screen" on boot up like the post by
by jasjeet » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:40 pm "90% time im using config.txt with any overclock i get this on my TV upon bootup:"

I discovered the fix - replace the SD card with a new card or check the connectors are fully contacting the SD card. I had not placed my card completely into my Rpi and thought I had a bad image. I have not needed to overclock my Rpi and do not really wish to do so and really thought the build I got from Sparky0815 was the cause - I was totally wrong on this one....

Sparky0815 has made the best image (thus far) of OpenELEC. I had to make a couple of mods to the config.txt file to let the bootloader know the screen dimension & was able to boot. Not only that, but the best part - perfectly smooth playback of 1080p Blu-ray quality video of Big Buck Bunny in 1080p.

I recommend check his latest build - http://sparky0815.de/category/raspberry-pi-2/openelec/

You can resize the Storage partition with parted or gparted or even delete and recreate if need be.

Enjoy!!

nomasteryoda

komple
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:04 pm

komple wrote:One more question... how to update from files for manual installation. There is img file SYSTEM, do I need to use dd to write it to 3 partition on card?

Please if someone knows answer to my previous question....

Thanks... that helped :)

komple
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Goofy wrote:
komple wrote:One more question... how to update from files for manual installation. There is img file SYSTEM, do I need to use dd to write it to 3 partition on card?

Please if someone knows answer to my previous question....
Just copy SYSTEM and KERNEL files (including md5's) using samba to "Update" share, see
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title ... g_OpenELEC.

You can also use:
scp target/* [email protected]<ipaddress>:/storage/.update/

and for bootloader stuff:
scp 3rdparty/bootloader/* [email protected]<ipaddress>:/flash/
thanks for answer...
I tried ssh and scp but what is root password.

robleady
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:12 pm

komple wrote: thanks for answer...
I tried ssh and scp but what is root password.
openelec

Cheers
Rob

komple
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:21 pm

robleady wrote:
komple wrote: thanks for answer...
I tried ssh and scp but what is root password.
openelec

Cheers
Rob
I should gues that ... :) thanks

User avatar
sparky0815
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:04 pm

if anyone is interested => r11315 images 2GB / 4GB / FAT-partition files

http://sparky0815.de

:geek:
Twitter: @Sparky0815
Facebook Gruppe (RaspberryPi - Deutschland): http://on.fb.me/PnYE99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goofy
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:58 am

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Can anyone test playing some mp3's (without visualization) and running picture slideshow on top of it?

Usually music playback stops for me after a few songs and slideshow freeze on the current picture. XBMC is freezed as well and I cannot go back to menu. It's possible to kill xbmc process via ssh and than it works with the new xbmc instance executed automatically.

Thanks

Return to “Media centres”