tbar

Re: OpenELEC Testbuilds

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:46 pm

Obviously OpenELEC/XBMC needs some work on the RPi to be considered stable. I'm just wondering how far you guys think it is before it can get this status? Are we miles away or is it just tweaking?

The "official" OpenELEC distribution -- which have reached Beta 4 -- doesn't seem to include the RPi so I'm guessing there is still a lot of work left...

sraue

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:48 pm

tbar wrote:Obviously OpenELEC/XBMC needs some work on the RPi to be considered stable. I'm just wondering how far you guys think it is before it can get this status? Are we miles away or is it just tweaking?

The "official" OpenELEC distribution -- which have reached Beta 4 -- doesn't seem to include the RPi so I'm guessing there is still a lot of work left...
no one said XBMC for RPi is stable, its based on XBMC's alphas and still not merged to master. it will be not stable until the next XBMC release (Frodo) - with luck, if its merged before. OpenELEC for RPi is not part of OpenELEC's beta/release cycle and will not be before XBMC releases a stable XBMC build with RPi support. Until then we provide devel releases so you can help to find and report issues and help making XBMC/OpenELEC better and stable.

milhouse

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Nodge wrote:Tried R11394 but still having problems with TV Series banners. In fact it seems to be 1 step forward and 2 back. After scraping the TV Database the artwork for "recently uploaded" episodes which appear above the "TV Series" in the main menu all appear ok and unscrambled. But if I actually select "TV Series" and get a list of the tv series then only 3 or 4 out of 13 have banners against them. Previously they were all there but some got scrambled if viewed more than once. If I go through the various views then it eventually locks up. With R11392 I found that if I rebooted then another 2 or 3 banners would appear but not all of them. The worst thing is that on both builds I couldn't play any of the files I selected. Just got the "Working" message with nothing happening and then when I select "Stop" it all locks up again.
I haven't tried r11394, but with r11392 it certainly seems like the scrambling problem is now fixed (thanks, Gimli!) however I'm yet to scroll all the way through my 500 movie media library as it's basically impossible - it sounds like it's (again) a similar problem to the one you are experiencing, with thumbnails not appearing (at all, or alternatively as black rectangles) and then eventually the GUI will lock up completely. I posted some DEBUG details in post #... damn this forum doesn't support post numbers... previously in this thread, 4 posts above yours. I would be surprised if it's not the same problem.

milhouse

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:13 pm

Still major problems with NFS in r11392, with NFS often failing to stat the remote share. Maybe 1 boot in 3 will result in NFS working as expected. NFS problems also reported in Raspbmc, so most likely a core XBMC issue.

b0x

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 pm

I've had the same copy of 394 running for two days now. Being used by myself, wife and the kids to watch numerous things. That's pretty stable :P

And I am using analog sound and do have menu sounds. As long as I turn up the xbmc volume.

Updating to version - r11410 and some tests
Everything tested via an nfs mount over wired network - unless noted.
Class 4 SD Card. Class 10 due this week.

As others have mentioned there is the same white noise as the normal xbmc version I used to run on a laptop. Keeping the volume down on the tv helps. When playing videos white noise either unnoticeable or gone completely. Don't play a lot of silent pictures to test this on, but does seem like it is gone on the quiet moments.

Popping in and out of videos still present.

SD tv show - Works fine as it has for many versions.

720p tv show (ac3) - Plays great. Voice channel still a bit squashed sounding and voices get lost in the background noise often.

720p movie (ac3) - No hiccups or pauses five minutes in.

720p movie (dts) - Popping audio on occasion which results in pause of video as well, seems to be getting better as the movie plays. Originally started it 13 minutes in and the pauses would happen constantly, playing from beginning gives best results. Unlike previous versions cache is maintaining 98-100% full consistently. Here's what I'm getting in the logs.

12:53:08 T:1205363808 WARNING: Unknown sort method 0
12:53:11 T:1292194912 WARNING: Previous line repeats 3 times.
12:53:11 T:1292194912 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for flip to complete
12:53:12 T:1205363808 WARNING: Unknown sort method 0
12:53:14 T:1292194912 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
12:53:14 T:1292194912 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for flip to complete
12:53:14 T:1205363808 WARNING: Unknown sort method 0
12:53:21 T:1292194912 WARNING: Previous line repeats 5 times.
12:53:21 T:1292194912 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for flip to complete
12:53:21 T:1205363808 WARNING: Unknown sort method 0

1080p movie (ac3) - playing perfectly until I jumped ahead 10 minutes, then started popping and pausing every 5+ seconds. Playing from beginning and just letting it play seems to work best, had a single pop/pause a couple minutes in. Very watchable. Occasional pauses continue, but far and few between.

1080p movie (dts) - definite improvement over past versions. pop/pause happens less... every 10 sec vs 5 or less before. Heavier the video demand the worse the pop/pausing gets.

Basically DTS continues to be a blight.

When the new cards arrive I'll do some new dts tests and see if that helps at all.

b0x

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Forgot about the mp3s...

still not working - nfs mount, smb mount nor directly from the sd card.

13:33:47 T:1103097856 ERROR: CAudioDecoder: Unable to Init Codec while loading file
13:33:47 T:1103097856 ERROR: MP3Codec: Unable to open file

jasjeet

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:41 pm

I seemed to get more stability after disabling Menu button sounds.

Music MP3 playback is fine.
Videos, 720p/1080p AC3 and DTS 5.1 also fine for me. HDMI Audio Passthrough enabled.

DancingMan

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:27 am

No menu sounds or music on Analog for me either. (r11392)

DancingMan

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:28 am

No menu sounds or music for me on Analog either (r11392)

Pygar

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:14 am

I just dl'ed the raspbmc win32 version and installed. No matter how often I try, the login shows incorrect. I've tried pi/raspberry at least 20 times, and the reverse at least five. Any ideas?
"Mean kitty, bad kitty
Vicious ball of fur!
Fighty kitty, bitey kitty!
Grrr! Grrr! Grrr!"

milhouse

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:17 am

Pygar wrote:I just dl'ed the raspbmc win32 version and installed. No matter how often I try, the login shows incorrect. I've tried pi/raspberry at least 20 times, and the reverse at least five. Any ideas?
root/openelec

Pygar

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:55 am

Thanks, that wasn't it either. I'm not quite sure why an entertainment center needs a password, anyway- my TV and cable box don't- but I will keep trying!
"Mean kitty, bad kitty
Vicious ball of fur!
Fighty kitty, bitey kitty!
Grrr! Grrr! Grrr!"

marb

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:53 am

@Pygar

You are installing Raspbmc?
If so, I'm not surprised root/openelec combo didn't work. It's for OpenELEC not for Raspbmc, as is this topic.

Doesn't Raspbmc use installation script where you can setup your login/pass during first boot? You would have better chance figuring it out if you ask on raspbmc forum or at least on raspbmc topics here.

sparky0815

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 am

r11410 images

check: http://sparky0815.de

:geek:
Twitter: @Sparky0815
Facebook Gruppe (RaspberryPi - Deutschland): http://on.fb.me/PnYE99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

arqcan

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:28 pm

I'm using the most recent build, and when I try to play a video through a MySQL library (shared through smb ) I get the working spinning symbol and then nothing, it just seems to spend forever loading. I've seen it do this for 20 mins before it locks up but the process works on r11372, anyone else had anything similar?

en5ads

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm using the most recent build, and when I try to play a video through a MySQL library (shared through smb ) I get the working spinning symbol and then nothing, it just seems to spend forever loading. I've seen it do this for 20 mins before it locks up but the process works on r11372, anyone else had anything similar?
Hi,
Yes I get this problem. I have gone back to a build from June 14th, 11312? which seems better.

Anthony

podly

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:34 pm

11410 - I found out, that analog audio on 3,5mm jack is available only, when I turn on rasp without connected HDMI to my TV. Putting "hdmi_drive=1" into config.txt didn't help.

I didn't notice any NFS problems.
Last edited by podly on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

milhouse

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:35 pm

marb wrote: You are installing Raspbmc?
If so, I'm not surprised root/openelec combo didn't work. It's for OpenELEC not for Raspbmc, as is this topic.
Ah yes - good point... pygar posting in the OpenELEC thread is what threw me. :)

IvanG

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi all,

I tired couple builds, at the moment it is r11410 image by sparky0815
and with all OpenELEC builds I tried I have the same problem: it seems that it uses software decoder for h264 stream I try to open and only see a slideshow of 1 frame per couple seconds instead of smooth playback. (raspbmc plays the same stream with hw decoding and without any problems).
playing other h264 files over smb/nas works fine I have only problem with flv/h264 stream I'm trying to play.

Googling around I seen couple posts mentioning that ffmpeg is used instead of omx-h264, but I didn't found why it happens and how to change the codec used and why it happens in OpenELEC and not in raspbmc.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Nodge

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Tried both r11410 & 11412 today. Both have the same problem for me with TV Series. Each time with a new install I just boot up and then scrape the TV Database. Then when I select "TV Series" to view them I get the first 3 banners showing and then no more. If I try and play an episode it just displays the "working" spinning graphic and then locks up if I try to escape out or press stop on the video controls. On 11410 I found that if I rebooted (usually takes 2 attempts for some reason) then it gets past the point where it stopped loading banners before and loads another couple before it gets stuck again. After rebooting about 5 times I managed to get 10 out of 13 banners displayed. But still locks up if I try and play an episode.

I've given a link to a logfile. This includes scraping the TV Database and is up to the point where it only loaded the first 3 banners and then I tried to play an episode. Hope it means something to someone.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2903701/xbmc.log

John

RasPiATV

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:26 pm

OpenElec running 06-23-2012 r11410.
I have a basic keyboard, and ethernet cable plugged in, and i amd using composite video and 3.5mm analog audio.

For some reason openelec believes i need passwords for all my samba shares on my computer (win xp), which are shared with permissions set for "Everyone" - Read/Write/FullControl. No other machine asks for passwords except openelec. Strangely enough openelec has no problem with samba shares coming from ubuntu.

Any ideas? it worked in the last version,.

(so if i enable "guest" account and add permissions for it to the share, it will share just fine) and once i delete the permissions after it's made the connection it's fine to browse as"everyone" without a password. :s I wonder why it wont just work to start with.

RasPiATV

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:04 pm

I am also now having a problem where, after watching any video, i come back to a menu and a permanently cropped screen and i lose the tops and bottom of the screen, and they cant be re-calibrated in the options. Only fix is to reboot.

lefizz

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi,

First post since I got my pi 6 hrs ago. Anyway i have been using XBMC for donkeys years all the way back to the original xbox version. I have also been using xbmc on windows and openelec booted from sd for a couple of years on an ion platform. So to cut the crap I am pretty experienced using the system but an utter noob on the pi.

Still in the first 20 mins i had it up and running r11410 and pulling files of the usb connected Drobo I use to store my media. Basiclly its working but there are a obviously issues.

My main issue is that when playing back hd .mkvs , will check what codecs but seems all files are played are the same, the screen goes blank every couple of minutes. weirdly it will then go ages fine and then the picture and sound drop out totally ( screen goes blank). Then when it reappears the Tv (samsung middle level 47" LCD from last year) show the res and refresh.
Almost looks like an issue i had with HDMI handshaking on an older LCD tv 5 years ago with the PS3.

Also i cant change res in the system panel, wanted to try 720p the native res of the couple of .mkvs I was watching. It changes in the panel but does nothing even on reboot.

Its about 38c here near Madrid but i am sure the heat was nothing to do with any of this.

Anyway keep up the good work

keenan

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:06 pm

Is there any way of removing the letterboxing? It seems that no matter what aspect I select, nothing changes...

I always prefer stretched 16:9 aspect to letterboxed!

On my PC, setting the viewing aspect to 16:9 and saving it as "default for all movies" makes all movies stretch to a 16:9 fullscreen view, but on the pie it does'nt..

b0x

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:15 pm

Change of tv -

Hooked up the pi to my Samsung LN52A850 last night to see how it did on a proper tv. Came up at 1080p rez, but was bleeding off on all the edges. Dropping it to 1600x1200 put the screen back in the right spot, but the colors seemed off. I ended up going back to the 1920x1080@60hz and manually adjusting the screen calibration. None of the other refresh rates made a difference on getting the screen size right.

After switching the sound to hdmi (btw it actually was outputing sound via hdmi when on analog mode).

I did some testing.

My receiver is a bit old (pre-hdmi) so I hook all the hdmi devices to the tv and then use an optical audio cable to run to the receiver. Works well as I never have to change the receiver - it is set to tv and auto adjusts to whatever the sound type is. Apparently something is getting lost in translation on this feature with the pi however. Everything was in PCM, the menu sounds were detected as PCM 44.1 and all movies, no matter the audio type, came through as PCM 48 (stereo). Never had an issues passing audio this way in the past with any devices so guessing issue lies with the pi itself. Anyone else have a similar setup? Yes, I turned on and off all the hdmi pass-throughs several times, rebooted, etc to make sure they took. I am tempted to try going back to a pre alsa version and see what they does.

My set top dvd player passes audio perfectly in the same setup. Wii, vcr, etc all work as planned.

Return to “Media centres”