startreksteve

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:43 pm

I've installed Get_Iplayer the BBC radio downloader onto Squeezeplug, but its downloading audio as FLV or M4a, Im having trouble converting to mp3, any ideas? Cant seem to find the lamemp3 converter for SP.

truehl

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:40 pm

startreksteve wrote:I've installed Get_Iplayer the BBC radio downloader onto Squeezeplug, but its downloading audio as FLV or M4a, Im having trouble converting to mp3, any ideas? Cant seem to find the lamemp3 converter for SP.
Please try: <apt-get install lame> from the console and please report back the result.
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

truehl

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi Folks,
I like to give you a short update on what's going on in the SqueezePlug project:

I'm still working on a final SqueezePlug image for Raspberry Pi and things are going very well here. The final image will have a lot of improvements and cool features compared to the beta version. I don't want to go into details here but believe me, it will be a big step ahead!

Yesterday the foundation released it's new Debian image ARMhf based. First I was a bit skeptic about the new image, because I've tested Raspbian before and had some trouble with that. Yesterday I've downloaded the new official image and got things working. I'm still testing, but all seems to run quite well. I made some tests with Logitech Media Server and that test looks very promising (thanks to alltingpi for the patch). The performance looks much better than with the old Squeeze version. The CPU payload is very low and everything runs much more fluent. So I'll decided to switch SqueezePlug to the new Raspbian image if things run as smooth as it seems right now.

So please be a little patient, the final release will come.

If you like to test the new image you can send me a PM.

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl

alexandali

Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Thomas - very impressed with your squeezeplug distro - got my Pi this morning and had squeezeslave up and running on it this afternoon having watched your video first. I already have a QNAP nas running squeezebox and various logitech players, I've been looking for a low cost squeeze player solution for some while. I'd be happy to test your latest beta for you - but I can't PM you as I've only just registered this on the forum today and it's restricted.
Couple of points I've noticed with the current distro on squeezeplay - I get the 'clicks and pops' problems sometimes using the analogue audio out - particularly if I try a command on the Pi whilst it's playing. I also get the "PortAudio error7: No output devices found" from the squeezeslave -L command even though it's playing fine through the analogue. It works better with all the other ports disconnected with just power and ethernet connected.
Regards Alex

truehl

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:52 pm

alexandali wrote:Thomas - very impressed with your squeezeplug distro - got my Pi this morning and had squeezeslave up and running on it this afternoon having watched your video first. I already have a QNAP nas running squeezebox and various logitech players, I've been looking for a low cost squeeze player solution for some while. I'd be happy to test your latest beta for you - but I can't PM you as I've only just registered this on the forum today and it's restricted.
Couple of points I've noticed with the current distro on squeezeplay - I get the 'clicks and pops' problems sometimes using the analogue audio out - particularly if I try a command on the Pi whilst it's playing. I also get the "PortAudio error7: No output devices found" from the squeezeslave -L command even though it's playing fine through the analogue. It works better with all the other ports disconnected with just power and ethernet connected.
Regards Alex
I'll make a public image for the Raspbian distro the next days. I'll tell here where you can get this!

The last two days I worked with the developer of SqueezeSlave on a version for Debian armhf (Raspbian). We just finished a working version, all looks very good!

The clicks and the "dirt" in playback has nothing to do with SqueezeSlave. It's a problem of the firmware or of the hardware! But it seems to get better with each new version! HDMI and analogue with an external USB soundcard works without these issues.

The "PortAudio error7: No output devices found" error is fine! You will get it if SqueezeSlave is already running. Kill the SqueezeSlave process and try squeezeslave -L again and you will see it works!
truehl

smckay

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:56 am

truehl,

Apologies if you have answered this already;

I have a 16gb SD card, is it possible to store my music on the card, either in a dir or a partition or does it have to be via USB, SAMBA etc?

thanks

truehl

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:39 am

smckay wrote:I have a 16gb SD card, is it possible to store my music on the card, either in a dir or a partition or does it have to be via USB, SAMBA etc?
Yes, it is! You can store you data wherever you like. /music is a mount point. You can mount an external device here or you can store your data here directly.
truehl

.helge

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi truehl,

that great news!! I was testing the new official raspberry os release and liked the speed. Unfortunately I was not able to install LMS successfuly. :(
some googling, told me that you and allthingspi are trying to get things working. I'm looking forward to your next squeezeplug release!!!

Thank you very much in advance!! :)))

cheers, helge

P.s.: if you still need a tester for the release, I'd be happy to do that.

truehl

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:19 pm

.helge wrote:... Unfortunately I was not able to install LMS successfuly. :( some googling, told me that you and allthingspi are trying to get things working.
Yes allthingspi got LMS running on Raspbian. That was his job and it works very well. Duane, the developer of SqueezeSlave compiled a new version of SqueezeSlave for Raspbian. That's a different version as allthingspi posts on his website I think. I will put this all together in the new version of SqueezePlug. SqueezePlug will be based on Raspbian and will be the first complete renewed version of SqueezePlug. Versions for the other devices (SheevaPlug, Dockstar, GoFlex Net an VM) will follow. Developing still makes very good progress but will last some more days. A few things are still open tasks, I hope I will find a solution for that. Maybe there will be some functions not working from the beginning, but I'll implement an update mechanism to be able to fix some things later or implement some functions later.

If you like SqueezePlug as it is now, you will love the new version. So be patient. The weather report for Germany is getting bad, so that's a good chance for working! :mrgreen:
truehl

.helge

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:18 pm

truehl wrote:
If you like SqueezePlug as it is now, you will love the new version. So be patient. The weather report for Germany is getting bad, so that's a good chance for working!
Thanks again! I know I will love it ;) Regarding the weather I dont't mind low temperatures, but if you have the power, please don't let it rain on Borkum this Weekend, there is a volleyball turnament!! :mrgreen:

EJ22

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Loving the current Squeezeplug. Using miniDLNA and samba to stream around the house and access the drive via the network is brilliant.

I was wondering though in the next version could we get miniDLNA webmin included in the misc so we have an easier way or rescanning and configuring the media folders. Haven't tried to install it via terminal in current Squeezeplug as have been busy lately so not sure if it works by downloading from the repository etc.

Thanks in advance.

castalla

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm getting my Pi next week!

The new squeezeplug sounds excellent - hope it emerges soon!

Thanks for all your hard work.

drgeoff

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:26 pm

castalla wrote:I'm getting my Pi next week!
Hi castalla. Welcome to the party. Better late than never :) .
(Paul Webster looks in here too from time to time.)

preki

Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:52 am

truehl wrote: The clicks and the "dirt" in playback has nothing to do with SqueezeSlave. It's a problem of the firmware or of the hardware! But it seems to get better with each new version! HDMI and analogue with an external USB soundcard works without these issues.
truehl, I downloaded your new squeezeslave binaries for Raspbian and, with the help of Paul Webster's blog post (http://dabdig.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/ru ... ry-pi.html), have things working well - thanks for these things. However, I also get the pops and cracks in playback when using the analogue headphone jack. Is this a problem for all audio playback through the jack? I wondered if this is worth raising elsewhere on the forum. (I have seen posts about pops at the start and end of audio playback but not anything about pops in the middle.)

The symptoms are strange. Sometimes it works fine with no pops at all. Other times there are pops every few second. Often this can be fixed by pausing then unpausing. It seems the pop "type" (i.e. its pitch) and frequency stays fixed when the "play" button is pressed. Does this give a clue to the cause? Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this?

Audio through HDMI seems fine, but I'm not sure how I can use this - is there a simple/cheap way of extracting the audio from an HDMI socket and sending it to speakers? Or can someone recommend a cheap and compatible USB sound card?

truehl

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:53 am

preki wrote:
truehl wrote: The clicks and the "dirt" in playback has nothing to do with SqueezeSlave. It's a problem of the firmware or of the hardware! But it seems to get better with each new version! HDMI and analogue with an external USB soundcard works without these issues.
truehl, I downloaded your new squeezeslave binaries for Raspbian and, with the help of Paul Webster's blog post (http://dabdig.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/ru ... ry-pi.html), have things working well - thanks for these things. However, I also get the pops and cracks in playback when using the analogue headphone jack. Is this a problem for all audio playback through the jack? I wondered if this is worth raising elsewhere on the forum. (I have seen posts about pops at the start and end of audio playback but not anything about pops in the middle.)

The symptoms are strange. Sometimes it works fine with no pops at all. Other times there are pops every few second. Often this can be fixed by pausing then unpausing. It seems the pop "type" (i.e. its pitch) and frequency stays fixed when the "play" button is pressed. Does this give a clue to the cause? Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this?

Audio through HDMI seems fine, but I'm not sure how I can use this - is there a simple/cheap way of extracting the audio from an HDMI socket and sending it to speakers? Or can someone recommend a cheap and compatible USB sound card?
Hi preki,
from what I saw, the "dirt" has something to do with the activities of RPi, if you have only small activity on the board, the "dirt" is gone and you have only "plops" between the songs. I think all players on RPi have similar problems. This issue also depends on the firmware version, but I can't say it's always getting better with newer version. HDMI input to an audio receiver is only possible with an AV receiver. I don't know a solution for converting HDMI to analogue. There are tons of cheap USB sound cards on the market working very well and costs less than 10 $. I have no experience with USB sound cards with Toslink, but I'm sure some will also run. Maybe someone can tell us about working digital devices.

Hope that helps,
Greetings, Thomas
truehl

castalla

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:46 pm

I currently run LMs on an arm tablet under ubuntu 9.04.

I have the music library on a home server on my Huawei router.

I'm using the following command to set up the music library for LMS:

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.1/share/usb1_1 /home/user/SQUEEZE

I will be switching to Pi in the coming week.

I note that there is a music library setup in the squeezeplug install.

Could a clever user advise what I will need to enter under that section?

Thanks.

castalla

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:29 am

As I suspected, I am completely stumped about how to specify my music library.

During the setup I selected Samba - specified the ip and directory. I was asked for a username and password - I simply left these blank (as in the ubuntu setup using the mount procedure).

I completed the LMS install, but I have no idea where the samba files are when choosing the music directory ....

I'd appreciate some advice on how to set this up - I've reimaged the cad and left it at the Music Library setup section.

LMS installed fine apart from this library issue.

Cheers

Paul Webster

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:30 am

From memory .... it sets the mount point as /music
When you first access the LMS web interface it will prompt you to enter the music location ... to do this it presents a browsable list.

shaggy

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:42 am

Hi
Sorry for a newbie question -:(

My setup:
TwonkyServer on a NAS
I want to use raspberry as a musicplayer only without a screen that could be controlled by a android device.

So I installed the image, went to misc and setup squeezeslave. It asked for serveradress and I told it the adress to my NAS.

So now what -:)
Will this work or did I misunderstand this completely. Can I use this with my Twonkyserver or do I need to install a server aswell on the raspberry?
How do I controll squeezslave? I tried squeezedroid but it wont connect.

Please help

Thanks in advance
Lasse

bjornarm

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:08 am

I had some Samba trouble as well. Problably because I don't know Samba too well. But I managed to mount the share manually, like this:

Code: Select all

mount -t smbfs -o username=xxx,password=yyy,domain=ZZZ //192.168.2.1/sambamusic/ /mnt/music-from-samba/
I would say SqueezePlug is perfect for me - for HDMI playback. But I would also like to set it up with minijack/USB playback.So far the USB sound I get is not good enough. Any suggestions for a forum/thread to ask for advice?

Cheers,
--bjørnarM

castalla

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:45 am

Hi Paul!

I tried again specifying /music - no luck I'm afraid.

The problem is just how to specify the setup parameters in the Music Library setup.

There are 3 choices:

local usb
NFS
SAMBA

I am just assuming that because the mount cifs command works in Ubuntu (as in

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.1/share/usb1_1 /home/user/SQUEEZE

that I just needed to enter the server address and share directory

Seems this doesn't work.

I tried a second time by specifying NFS - when I do this the green cursor appears under the setup menu preceeded by a message about no username - it appears locked up. a Ctrl C gets out BUT the end result is that the whole SD then gets corrupted and won't reboot.

I'm pretty much a linux novice so I'm struggling here!

shaggy

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:14 am

I got the same issue as the person above.
Trying to mount samba share but it just times out. If I do it manually it works?
I am not a Linux expert but is samba and cifs the same?
My NAS supports Cifs (netgear Duo) but I am hoping samba is the same -:)

mount.cifs //192.168.1.192/Music /mnt/cifs -o username=htpc,password=xxxxxxxxxxxx

truehl

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:52 am

Hi folks,
right now i have no access to my RPi, but I will try to help you guys having trouble with Samba. Some of you told here that they can't access a Samba share from RPi.

1. All external drives, Samba and NFS will be mounted to /music in the actual image. I'll change this in the upcoming version of SqueezePlug.
2. Samba and Cifs is the same, Cifs protocol replaces smbfs.
3. You can install Cifs by typing: "apt-get install cifs-utils"
4. If you have cifs-utils installed you must replace smbfs with cifs in your /etc/fstab like this: //<ip of your samba server>/<share> /music cifs username=<username>,password=<password> so it will look something like this: //192.168.2.10/samba /music cifs username=root,password=password
5. If you add a line like above in your /etc/fstab you have to do a "mount -a" from the console after changing and saving.

Please tell me whether it's working for you, if not, please tell me and we will have to take a look at your specific problem. I'm sure we will solve it!

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl

truehl

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:01 am

shaggy wrote:Hi
Sorry for a newbie question -:(

My setup:
TwonkyServer on a NAS
I want to use raspberry as a musicplayer only without a screen that could be controlled by a android device.

So I installed the image, went to misc and setup squeezeslave. It asked for serveradress and I told it the adress to my NAS.

So now what -:)
Will this work or did I misunderstand this completely. Can I use this with my Twonkyserver or do I need to install a server aswell on the raspberry?
How do I controll squeezslave? I tried squeezedroid but it wont connect.

Please help

Thanks in advance
Lasse
Hi Shaggy,
SqueezeSlave only works as a player for SqueezeBox or Logitech Media Server. Not as a player for Twonky. Till today I did not found a player for Twonky or a DLNA aware player for RPi. I'm still searching for! The only alternative for Server and Player on RPi is MPD. MPD works great on RPi and will be included in the upcoming new SqueezePlug image. An other alternative is to run two RPi's. One with SqueezePlug for the Server and the other with XBMC as a player.

Hope that helps,
Thomas
truehl

castalla

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:11 am

An update on the Music Library issue:

I installed webmin. This let's me see what's set up under Disk and Network Fle Systems

/music is labelled as smbfs with the correct location (the \\192.168.1.1 fileserver) and the correct path to the files

However ./music is indicated as Not In Use

I am uncertain what this actually tells me! How can I change it to in use.?

The Mount Options section for \music shows blank LoginName and blank Password.
User files are owned by Blank, and Group files are owned by Blank.

Return to “Media centres”