User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:20 am

xburchartz wrote:First of all, thanks for this awesome project!.
I just installed the squeezeplug version 0.6.0 and installed Logitech Mediaserver and squeeslave. I have some issues with squeezeslave. When I start a music file, I hear a loud click. The music starts playing but it doesn't sound very clear. It's like if I have very bad speakers. (My normal squeezebox duet sounds fine with these speakers). The speakers are connected via analog output.
After one minute or so, I hear another loud click, and then the music stops. I have to kill the squeezeplay proces and restart it in order to hear something again. But it won't last for long.... The same happens again.

Do you have enough information to figure out what this could be?

Another question: why do you use squeezeslave? Isn't squeezeplay a better option?

Kind regards, Xander
Yes, there are issues with playing sound from RPi if you use the analogue output. As far as I can see or hear, these issues are not solved, but sound will be better with the new upcoming version of SqueezePlug and the new version of SqueeezeSlave. These issues have nothing to do with SqueezeSlave, every project on the Pi dealing with analogue sound output have the same issues. For me it's not clear if it is a hardware problem or a problem with the USB drivers. I hope it's not a hardware problem and it can be fixed. There are people telling that sound with external USB sound cards works fine, others tell it does not work better. I haven't tested these things extensively, but from what I saw and hear, sound via HDMI and external USB sound cards works fine with the new version of SqueezePlug. This means: Raspbian (Debian hf), up to date firmware, and new version of Squeezeslave compiled for Debian hf.

This version is in development and will take some time to finish. If you are interested I can make a preview version with only SqueezeSlave installed for testing. Tell me if you are interested.

SqueezePlay may be an option, but I'm not sure if we can run it headless and it will need some more packages like java to install. I also think it will need more resources on RPi. Maybe someone likes to test SqueezePlay, that would be helpful!

I'm also interessted in your experiences with HDMI and external USB sound output. Could you tell how this works for you?

Thanks a lot,
Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

halfabiscuit
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:55 am

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks for the feedback Thomas - I have a USB soundcard that I will try tonight to see if that is any better. I would be interested in trialling any new versions of code you have.
By the way - can you tell me how squeezeslave is invoked on boot on the squeezeplug? I assume it is in a startup script somewhere?

andy100
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:30 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi Thomas

I've been following this thread and your project pretty closely over the last week or so: My intention is to use several PIs as a headless squeezeslaves. It all works (in theory) pretty well however with audio issues.

I have tried pretty much every combination: - Squeezeplug, debian squeeze (and setting/installing squeezeslave manually - various builds up on SF) etc all using either HDMI, onboard audio and USB sound card (creative labs).

All of which have failings which have been mentioned in various forums (HDMI sounds the best so far but breaks up after 1hr etc). My goal is to use HDMI and USB sound card (for differing locations around the house) so I would like to help test anything you have if it may be of help to you? I figured that my setup would be a pretty good testing ground!

Let me know I'll be happy to help.

Cheers
Andy

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:10 pm

I'll just mention that I had sound issues with LMS feeding my Logitech Touch.

I ran rpi-update and the problems I had disappeared.

moi1985
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Without wanting to appear thick, I am having issues getting any sound out of my Pi. I have followed to instructions for Squeezeplug, and have installed squeezeslave on it also. Plugged in my usb hdd to the pi and I can see all my music on my tablet running the LMS app. When I click on a track and it show is as playing there is no output from either the HDMI sound or the headphone socket.

Any ideas?

bjornarm
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:23 am

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:17 pm

truehl wrote:This version is in development and will take some time to finish. If you are interested I can make a preview version with only SqueezeSlave installed for testing. Tell me if you are interested.
Yes, please - that would be perfect!

I'm very impressed by the Squeezeplug for Raspberry Pi and the HDMI output. But the USB/analog output is not so good, So if possble - I would very much like to test a preview version!

Cheers,
--bjørnarM

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Folks,
I'll make a testing image for Logitech Media Server (SqueezeBox Server) including SqueezeSlave based upon Raspbian on Tuesday or on Wednesday next week. With this preview you should be able to test the sound output from analogue and HDMI. I'll tell you when it's ready for download from mi homepage.

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi folks,
the test-image for Logitech Media Server including SqueezeSlave based on Raspbian is ready and uploaded to my blog. If you like give that a try: http://www.squeezeplug.eu/?page_id=52 .

After downloading unzip and burn the image to a 4 GB SD-Card.
login user "root" password "nosoup4u"
cd /sp/scripts
chmod 777 *.sh
./lms.sh
./squeezeslave
alsamixer
adjust volume

Please report back your experiences!

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

StephenR
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the great app Squeezeplug. I want to use it as a wireless music streamer. So far I've got Squeezeplayer working via a wired network connection very easily. I can't however get the wireless bit to work.

From the post below I thought it would be fairly painless as I have the same WiFi USB device but for some reason, I can't get the WiFi part working. I have read a lot but not sure what I should do in terms of fault finding or running suggested scripts.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Stephen


fifthQ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:48 pm
Thought I'd update my test results in case anyone was curious.

New test setup:
Logitech Media server
Squeezeslave player
WiFi connection (Asus USB-N10)
500GB 2.5" 5400 HDD (in powered dock)
Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB audio output to Sony Amp (DA1200ES)
Belkin mini powered USB hub powering the Pi, WiFi & USB Audio (sorry, don't know exactly which hub, I've had it for years and it has nothing written on it other than Belkin)

- WiFi. Setup was fairly painless. I downloaded/installed the driver, ran the Squeezeplug Network Setup, rebooted. All's well. It does take 2-3 minutes after start up before I can connect, this is consistent though, so once you know about it, it's not an issue.

jojojojojojo
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:14 am

Hi,
I use squeezeplug with a USB soundcard. Is there a setting somewhere in the sound driver, that will increase audio volume? I have to boost up the amplifier quite a bit to get enough volume..
Thank you already in advance.
Regards,
Johannes

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:30 am

jojojojojojo wrote:Hi,
I use squeezeplug with a USB soundcard. Is there a setting somewhere in the sound driver, that will increase audio volume? I have to boost up the amplifier quite a bit to get enough volume..
Thank you already in advance.
Regards,
Johannes
Yes, run alsamixer and slide up volume by pressing the curser key up.
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

StephenR
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:59 am

Looking further at my WiFi problem, I guess there may be a power issue as the power supply is only 850mA and this may well be limiting the USB power. Will try a more powerful supply.

cheers,

Stephen

clovis
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:52 pm

hi truehl,

I have installed the new squeezeplug test image, mounted the usb drive which contains my music and installed a wifi adapter. All seems to be working but I can't get a sound out of the pi, either via the hdmi port or the analogue sound port.

Have I missed something?

clovis
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:18 pm

truehl wrote:Hi folks,
the test-image for Logitech Media Server including SqueezeSlave based on Raspbian is ready and uploaded to my blog. If you like give that a try: http://www.squeezeplug.eu/?page_id=52 .

After downloading unzip and burn the image to a 4 GB SD-Card.
login user "root" password "nosoup4u"
cd /sp/scripts
chmod 777 *.sh
./lms.sh
./squeezeslave
alsamixer
adjust volume

Please report back your experiences!

Have fun,
Thomas
Hi Thomas,

I followed your instructions and also installed my wifi adapter and mounted a usb disk drive. lms server and squeeze slave seem to be working but I can't get any sound out of the pi, from either the hdmi port or the headphone socket.

Have I missed something?

Thanks

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:18 am

Sorry folks,
I think I forgot this in the testing Image:

Code: Select all

echo "snd-bcm2835" >> /etc/modules
Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:28 am

Hi folks,
the test-image for Logitech Media Server including SqueezeSlave based on Raspbian is ready and uploaded to my blog. If you like give that a try: http://www.squeezeplug.eu/?page_id=52 .

After downloading unzip and burn the image to a 4 GB SD-Card.
login user "root" password "nosoup4u"

Code: Select all

cd /sp/scripts
chmod 777 *.sh
echo "snd-bcm2835" >> /etc/modules
./lms.sh
./squeezeslave
alsamixer
adjust volume

Please report back your experiences!

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

fifthQ
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:09 am

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:29 pm

StephenR wrote:Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the great app Squeezeplug. I want to use it as a wireless music streamer. So far I've got Squeezeplayer working via a wired network connection very easily. I can't however get the wireless bit to work.

From the post below I thought it would be fairly painless as I have the same WiFi USB device but for some reason, I can't get the WiFi part working. I have read a lot but not sure what I should do in terms of fault finding or running suggested scripts.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

It sounds like you may have found the source of your problem (underpowered PSU). Once you have a good PSU, try again and see how you go. Also, I'm not sure if you're aware, but most usb wifi adapters won't work properly when plugged directly into the Raspi's USB ports, they need to be connected to a powered hub. There are some that people have reported to work without a hub, but in my experience with the Asus USB-N10, it needs one.

mba
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:51 pm

truehl wrote:
xburchartz wrote:First of all, thanks for this awesome project!.
I just installed the squeezeplug version 0.6.0 and installed Logitech Mediaserver and squeeslave. I have some issues with squeezeslave. When I start a music file, I hear a loud click. The music starts playing but it doesn't sound very clear. It's like if I have very bad speakers. (My normal squeezebox duet sounds fine with these speakers). The speakers are connected via analog output.
After one minute or so, I hear another loud click, and then the music stops. I have to kill the squeezeplay proces and restart it in order to hear something again. But it won't last for long.... The same happens again.

Do you have enough information to figure out what this could be?

Another question: why do you use squeezeslave? Isn't squeezeplay a better option?

Kind regards, Xander
Yes, there are issues with playing sound from RPi if you use the analogue output. As far as I can see or hear, these issues are not solved, but sound will be better with the new upcoming version of SqueezePlug and the new version of SqueeezeSlave. These issues have nothing to do with SqueezeSlave, every project on the Pi dealing with analogue sound output have the same issues. For me it's not clear if it is a hardware problem or a problem with the USB drivers. I hope it's not a hardware problem and it can be fixed. There are people telling that sound with external USB sound cards works fine, others tell it does not work better. I haven't tested these things extensively, but from what I saw and hear, sound via HDMI and external USB sound cards works fine with the new version of SqueezePlug. This means: Raspbian (Debian hf), up to date firmware, and new version of Squeezeslave compiled for Debian hf.

This version is in development and will take some time to finish. If you are interested I can make a preview version with only SqueezeSlave installed for testing. Tell me if you are interested.

SqueezePlay may be an option, but I'm not sure if we can run it headless and it will need some more packages like java to install. I also think it will need more resources on RPi. Maybe someone likes to test SqueezePlay, that would be helpful!

I'm also interessted in your experiences with HDMI and external USB sound output. Could you tell how this works for you?

Thanks a lot,
Greetings,
Thomas
I compiled SqueezePlay the other day, it doesn't need java (maybe you are thinking of SoftSqueeze?), but a couple of other packages are required though, see my description here.
I Haven't found a way to run it headless, but for me it doesn't matter having X running on it. And it gives the possibility to configure it through the GUI.
One huge benefit of SqueezePlay over SqueezeSlave is the possibility to use the Spotify plugin from Triode, but (as I describe in my howto) if you need to have LMS running on the RPi you need to use the armel based debian distro instead of armhf, as the Spotify plugin compiled against armel (maybe Triode could be pursuaded to compile it for armhf?).

Best regards
Martin
AMOTE - a LIRC client for Android. Build your own Android-based universal remote.

bradypus
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:36 pm

[quote="truehl"]Hi folks,
the test-image for Logitech Media Server including SqueezeSlave based on Raspbian is ready and uploaded to my blog. If you like give that a try: http://www.squeezeplug.eu/?page_id=52


Hello, Thomas,

Thanks, I've got that running now and it's definitely an improvement over the squeeze version. I'm still getting momentary interruptions with squeezeslave but not nearly so often. Scanning the music library was noticeably quicker and performance with a squeezebox receiver is still faultless.

After downloading unzip and burn the image to a 4 GB SD-Card.
login user "root" password "nosoup4u"
cd /sp/scripts
chmod 777 *.sh
./lms.sh
./squeezeslave


Oops, I think that last line should be "./squeezeslave.sh" . That's what worked for me ;)

Incidentally, and this may be a factor in overall performance, I've replaced the USB HD with a pair of 64GB USB flash drives, one in each USB port. They had to be taken out of their casings to fit side by side, but work perfectly with the 5V 2A power supply which I'm using with the power routed through an external fuse directly to the supply decoupling capacitor. Plus I've made a plastic case, of sorts, for it.which you can see here:

http://ian-nic.blogspot.co.uk/

clovis
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:29 am

bradypus wrote:
truehl wrote:Hi folks,
the test-image for Logitech Media Server including SqueezeSlave based on Raspbian is ready and uploaded to my blog. If you like give that a try: http://www.squeezeplug.eu/?page_id=52


Hello, Thomas,

Thanks, I've got that running now and it's definitely an improvement over the squeeze version. I'm still getting momentary interruptions with squeezeslave but not nearly so often. Scanning the music library was noticeably quicker and performance with a squeezebox receiver is still faultless.

After downloading unzip and burn the image to a 4 GB SD-Card.
login user "root" password "nosoup4u"
cd /sp/scripts
chmod 777 *.sh
./lms.sh
./squeezeslave


Oops, I think that last line should be "./squeezeslave.sh" . That's what worked for me ;)

Incidentally, and this may be a factor in overall performance, I've replaced the USB HD with a pair of 64GB USB flash drives, one in each USB port. They had to be taken out of their casings to fit side by side, but work perfectly with the 5V 2A power supply which I'm using with the power routed through an external fuse directly to the supply decoupling capacitor. Plus I've made a plastic case, of sorts, for it.which you can see here:

http://ian-nic.blogspot.co.uk/
Hi Bradypus,

Are they the exact steps you carried out? I did the same, but used a 8 GB SD-card. The server comes up, play list scanned etc, but I can't get a sound out of the rpi, either via the headphone socket or the HDMI connector. The old version of squeezeplug worked fine.

bradypus
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:33 am

clovis wrote: Hi Bradypus,

Are they the exact steps you carried out? I did the same, but used a 8 GB SD-card. The server comes up, play list scanned etc, but I can't get a sound out of the rpi, either via the headphone socket or the HDMI connector. The old version of squeezeplug worked fine.
Not quite - The first time I did this, I tried expanding the image to fit the (16GB) SD card after installing LMS & squeezeslave and messed up (my fault, used the wrong partition number to resize). So I started again, copied the image, resized to fit, then installed lms & squeezeslave.

I can't see that doing these in a different sequence would change the sound driver settings though.

clovis
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:02 am

Hi Thomas,

I've reinstalled the test image (third time) and this time I resized the root partition just in case that made a difference. Still no sound out of the rpi.

Essentially I have the same configuration as the old version and that works fine.

In a few days time I'll try the test image with a usb sound card, but so far I've had no luck with the new image.


Regards,

Clovis

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:25 am

Hi,
seems there is a problem with the sound output in the test-image! If you don't get sound out of the Pi, please be sure you did these commands (there was a bug in the old description)

Code: Select all

cd /sp/scripts
chmod 777 *.sh
echo "snd-bcm2835" >> /etc/modules
./lms.sh
./squeezeslave.sh
alsamixer
Please be sure you adjust volume from alsamixer! If it's mooted here, there will be no sound. If this does not help, I will take a closer look on the image in a few days! Right now I have no access to my Pi's.

Greetings, Thomas

clovis
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:07 am

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply.

I followed your installation instructions to the letter and also adjusted the volume with alsamixer, but still no sound.

I can however get sound by using aplay.

Regards,

Clovis

clovis
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:11 am

.....all my music files are wav. Could that make a difference? When I have time I'll try an mp3 file.

Return to “Media centres”