shaggy

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:31 am

truehl wrote:
shaggy wrote:Hi
Sorry for a newbie question -:(

My setup:
TwonkyServer on a NAS
I want to use raspberry as a musicplayer only without a screen that could be controlled by a android device.

So I installed the image, went to misc and setup squeezeslave. It asked for serveradress and I told it the adress to my NAS.

So now what -:)
Will this work or did I misunderstand this completely. Can I use this with my Twonkyserver or do I need to install a server aswell on the raspberry?
How do I controll squeezslave? I tried squeezedroid but it wont connect.

Please help

Thanks in advance
Lasse
Hi Shaggy,
SqueezeSlave only works as a player for SqueezeBox or Logitech Media Server. Not as a player for Twonky. Till today I did not found a player for Twonky or a DLNA aware player for RPi. I'm still searching for! The only alternative for Server and Player on RPi is MPD. MPD works great on RPi and will be included in the upcoming new SqueezePlug image. An other alternative is to run two RPi's. One with SqueezePlug for the Server and the other with XBMC as a player.

Hope that helps,
Thomas
Thanks for the info
I installed the server and now all is working -:) I guess I can have to dlna servers on my local network.
My prob with samba is gone to. I edited the fstab directly and now it mounts my nas share.

thanks for all the help.

truehl

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:44 pm

castalla wrote:An update on the Music Library issue:

I installed webmin. This let's me see what's set up under Disk and Network Fle Systems

/music is labelled as smbfs with the correct location (the \\192.168.1.1 fileserver) and the correct path to the files

However ./music is indicated as Not In Use

I am uncertain what this actually tells me! How can I change it to in use.?

The Mount Options section for \music shows blank LoginName and blank Password.
User files are owned by Blank, and Group files are owned by Blank.
Pleasse install cifs-utils "apt-get install cifs-utils" and do the command you did on your Ubuntu machine: mount -t cifs //192.168.1.1/share/usb1_1 /music
Please tell me the result. Mounting from SqueezePlug should work like on Ubuntu if you install cifs.

Have fun, Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

markysoft

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Should this play WMA files?

When I try nothing plays and I get the following error in the server.log:

[12-08-03 19:27:22.8936] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for wma playback for [file:///music/somesong.wma]

truehl

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:06 pm

markysoft wrote:Should this play WMA files?

When I try nothing plays and I get the following error in the server.log:

[12-08-03 19:27:22.8936] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for wma playback for [file:///music/somesong.wma]
No!
truehl

shaggy

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:16 am

Hi
Using lms is there and option NOT to scan on startup. Takes several hours to scan and cpu is very high when it does. I just want to set scan to manually. Anyone knows?

Lasse

truehl

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:25 am

shaggy wrote:Hi
Using lms is there and option NOT to scan on startup. Takes several hours to scan and cpu is very high when it does. I just want to set scan to manually. Anyone knows?

Lasse
You can stop scanning manually from the GUI if you like and start again when you like, very easy!
truehl

shaggy

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Well...its set to clear database and scan on poweron. So if I stop it I do not have my music. I just do not want it to scan on poweron. This is cause its only powered on during daytime :-)

Lasse

truehl

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:16 am

shaggy wrote:Well...its set to clear database and scan on poweron. So if I stop it I do not have my music. I just do not want it to scan on poweron. This is cause its only powered on during daytime :-)

Lasse
Only the first full scan takes a long time! After an initial full scan LMS does not scan on startup. You can configure a schedule time from the GUI. So I can't see a problem here.
truehl

castalla

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:55 pm

truehl wrote:
castalla wrote:An update on the Music Library issue:

I installed webmin. This let's me see what's set up under Disk and Network Fle Systems

/music is labelled as smbfs with the correct location (the \\192.168.1.1 fileserver) and the correct path to the files

However ./music is indicated as Not In Use

I am uncertain what this actually tells me! How can I change it to in use.?

The Mount Options section for \music shows blank LoginName and blank Password.
User files are owned by Blank, and Group files are owned by Blank.
Pleasse install cifs-utils "apt-get install cifs-utils" and do the command you did on your Ubuntu machine: mount -t cifs //192.168.1.1/share/usb1_1 /music
Please tell me the result. Mounting from SqueezePlug should work like on Ubuntu if you install cifs.

Have fun, Thomas
Sorry, late in replying - my internet went down for 4 days!

The direct cif command works to load the /music library with the correct file listing from the server.

I need a while to reset my network before I continue with this .... I'll post again with more details.

ps: the internet went down just as I completed the mount command on the RaspPi - did it kill my connection????!!!!

Rnotap

Twonky Server

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi folks

This is my first post. :mrgreen:

I have the Squeezebox Raspberry Pi image installed with firmware version:

Linux RaspberryPi 3.1.9+ #202 PREEMPT Wed Jul 25 22:11:06 BST 2012 armv6l

LMS server, which I have a lot of experience with, is up and running fine.

I have installed Twonky Server and entered my licence. Everything appears to operate fine and I have managed to stream some films over my home network. However a problem occurs when the Pi is shutdown and then restarted. I get this error message on the boot up screen:

/etc/rc.local: 48:Syntax error: ”(“ unexpected
startpar: service(s) returned failure: rc.local … failed

Twonky Server fails to start. Entering, via putty, this command gets it restarted:

/etc/init.d/twonky_start.sh start

I have examined the file /etc/rc.local and can see no missing bracket in the code. Is this a known problem and is there a solution? Finally can anyone explain how to update to Twonky Server version 6.0.39?

Regards

Jayrcee

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:51 pm

Will squeezeplug recognize an external USB drive formatted as Mac OS Extended? I currently have my music library on a 2tb one.

castalla

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:50 am

Follow-up notes on cifs mount:

I worked around the fileserver mount issue by reinstalling the image and not specifying a Music Library. Set the library from within LMS itself.

I used cifs to mount the server - added the mount to fstab manually.

All working OK ....

However, when an album is first played then the first track always starts with a small 'plop, crackle' noise. This only happens on the very first track when I choose an album to play. If I switch to another album, then there's no connecting plop.

I need to test this against a Windows LMS - I'm pretty sure there's no plop there!

More later ....

Thanks, Thomas, for your work and help.

giladgaron

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Hey truehl,

Thank you very much!
I Installed the image, Squeezebox Server and SqueezeSlave and it works like a charm,
very stable so far and very responsive. indexed 3900 tracks over wifi (with samba share) in 1:30 hours.

I'm trying to use the YouTube plugin but with no success, there is no audio output, is the Pi up for the job? or am I just pushing it?

Anyway,
Thank you for your work, the installation & setup process is very simple.

Gilad

truehl

Re: Twonky Server

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Rnotap wrote:Hi folks

I have installed Twonky Server and entered my licence. Everything appears to operate fine and I have managed to stream some films over my home network. However a problem occurs when the Pi is shutdown and then restarted. I get this error message on the boot up screen:

Twonky Server fails to start. Entering, via putty, this command gets it restarted:

AI have examined the file /etc/rc.local and can see no missing bracket in the code. Is this a known problem and is there a solution? Finally can anyone explain how to update to Twonky Server version 6.0.39?

Regards
There is a bug in my twonky setup! This bug makes a wrong entry in the rc.local. Please take a look at this file: the "exit 0" command shall only occur once at the very end of the file. If you see it before this line, comment this line out with a "#". The twonky start command should also only occur once at the end before the "exit 0" command.

I'm searching for an updated version of twonky since weeks and could not find one till today. I would be thankful if someone gets a new version running on the RPi. I'm searching for a Debian hf version, because I like to switch to this version (Raspbian) soon.

Hope that helps,
Thomas
truehl

castalla

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:34 pm

Update on Plop issue!

The plop has gone!

Either, because I ran

1) rpi-update

or

2) rebooted Touch player

Whatever .... I'm delighted, and currently enjoying the theme music from the Wallander series. Brilliant!

Looking forward to the new LMS image!

preki

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:30 pm

truehl wrote:[ There are tons of cheap USB sound cards on the market working very well and costs less than 10 $. I have no experience with USB sound cards with Toslink, but I'm sure some will also run. Maybe someone can tell us about working digital devices.
Hi truehl,

Thanks for your reply. For info, and in case it is useful to others, I have tried the following two USB soundcards, both of which are plug-and-play (i.e. no drivers needed) and seem to work perfectly on the current Raspian.

Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Beach-Ad ... -1-catcorr
Dynamode 7 Channel USB 2.0 Sound Card http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamode-Channe ... 547&sr=8-1

Rnotap

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:18 am

by truehl » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Rnotap wrote:Hi folks

AI have examined the file /etc/rc.local and can see no missing bracket in the code. Is this a known problem and is there a solution? Finally can anyone explain how to update to Twonky Server version 6.0.39?

Regards

There is a bug in my twonky setup! This bug makes a wrong entry in the rc.local. Please take a look at this file: the "exit 0" command shall only occur once at the very end of the file. If you see it before this line, comment this line out with a "#". The twonky start command should also only occur once at the end before the "exit 0" command.

I'm searching for an updated version of twonky since weeks and could not find one till today. I would be thankful if someone gets a new version running on the RPi. I'm searching for a Debian hf version, because I like to switch to this version (Raspbian) soon.

Hope that helps,
Thomas
:D
Hi Thomas

Thank you for the prompt reply to my query. I had managed to solve the installation problem by using an alternative routine for the install before I had read your post. I did manage to install version 6.0.39, it works as intended and starts at bootup. Unfortunately it is not linked to your setup menu.
I had too much time on my hands, so I then looked at the problem of getting version 7.0.9 running.
I have succeeded, 7.0.9 is now up and running on your Debian Squeeze image but again it is not tied in to your menu. I understand you going to use a cut down version of Debian Wheezy/Raspbian for you next squeezebox image. When I have time I will see if the install works on Raspbian.
If you want a copy of the code and sources let me know and I will post to you.

Regards

lefizz

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Thomas first thanks a lot for this brilliant distro.

When i first ordered my pi I was a little overenthusiastic and bought a couple. One works fine as a XBMC player and the other i was scratching my head as what to do with it. Now with you excellent work it is going to be a great little media server.

Actually I started writing this with a question, how do you select only a few folders on a drive to scan since there is no option when you select media sources. But I answered my own question , you do it via the Logitech webpage settings panel.

Well done and thanks very much

truehl

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Rnotap wrote: If you want a copy of the code and sources let me know and I will post to you.
Yes, I'm berry much interested in this!!! It would be great if you could post it here, or if you send me a PM.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Thomas
truehl

Rnotap

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Rnotap wrote:If you want a copy of the code and sources let me know and I will post to you.

Yes, I'm berry much interested in this!!! It would be great if you could post it here, or if you send me a PM.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Thomas
Hi Thomas

Instructions are on the way. I have just tested with full blown image of Raspbian and it works!!

Regards
:D :D

lefizz

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi,

Thomas after getting this all setup pretty well sharing my old Drodo usb RAID i started thinking.
Basicly I live in Madrid and it is really hot(40c) now which means the RAID although small spins its fans too fast .

I haven't got wired networking anywhere in the house but wireless would mean i could stick it in the basement. I started playing and eventually got an old Netgear G dongle working. However the performance is terrible. On wired using samba file copies as a guide I get 2-3 Megabytes a sec using this old G adaptor Iget 250 kilobytes. I just wanted to ask if wireless will also be terrible or will a better newer adaptor improve things a lot? From my testing i dont need a huge amount, the wired connections while not fast can easily can stream 3 HD movies at once (as long as they arent very high bit rate)

Any advice or experience in this area would be very gratefully recieved

Phil

castalla

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:33 pm

We're also suffering the Ola de Calor .... just switch it off until it passes ... won't be long before you're shivering at 5 C !!!!

skelter

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks for squeezeplug, truehl. It's awesome! I see that you're working on a new release based on Raspbian. Have you considered including an option to automatically install a bittorrent server and web GUI at all, such as rtorrent and rutorrent?

xburchartz

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 pm

First of all, thanks for this awesome project!.
I just installed the squeezeplug version 0.6.0 and installed Logitech Mediaserver and squeeslave. I have some issues with squeezeslave. When I start a music file, I hear a loud click. The music starts playing but it doesn't sound very clear. It's like if I have very bad speakers. (My normal squeezebox duet sounds fine with these speakers). The speakers are connected via analog output.
After one minute or so, I hear another loud click, and then the music stops. I have to kill the squeezeplay proces and restart it in order to hear something again. But it won't last for long.... The same happens again.

Do you have enough information to figure out what this could be?

Another question: why do you use squeezeslave? Isn't squeezeplay a better option?

Kind regards, Xander

halfabiscuit

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:05 am

Yes I seem to have the same problem. I am running LMS server and squeezeslave on the same pi and I have tried with various different speakers in the 3.5mm socket. I can't hear anything from them. If I plug in some headphones I can hear the music very faintly along with a lot of electrical interference noise.

Return to “Media centres”