normal

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi ready for download

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 pm

More feedback: I installed hplip to it over ssh and it works fine as a print server as well. Just as I [email protected]

Argon

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:43 am

I use it 3 days now and it works very good !

The only thing i got sometimes is:
After that the Rpi was idle for a couple of houres and I want to play a Local Internet Radio station the sounds is a bit weird. I is like a voice with helium. If you stop the stream and directly press on the "play" button again, it goes all perfect ! So it is not a big problem (maybe just a problem with that stream).

At this moment, no other things to report expect that I Love this project ! :-)

truehl

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi folks,
I've tested the HDMI sound output from SqueezeSlave, because someone reported that it don't run stable. I can not confirm this. It's running great for me the last 4 hours and the sound is incredible. I've tested mp3 and even FLAC without any problem!

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

truehl

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:18 pm

Paul Webster wrote:FYI - I ran rpi-update on SD card that I was using with Squeezeplug ... and afterwards I could not get the local SqueezeSlave to play (via headphone socket in this case) any more (alsa error message
Hi Paul,
I've tried rpi-update it everything works fine after it. I now run kernel #122 without issues. SqueezeSlave runs fine! Maybe it was a problem with one specific version?!

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

truehl

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi folks,
I like to inform you, that scanning the music library with Squeezebox has been very slow first time I've tried it. I did an "rpi-update" and run kernel #122 now. You will get the kernel version when you type "uname -a". Scanning for me is 4 times quicker now as before and works as fast as on my other devices. I think that's good news and has something to do with a new kernel version, it seems it handles access to SD-Card much faster! Doing a full scan while playing music is still a problem and I think it will be. Updating the database is no problem, so that's not a big thing. Normally you will create the complete database only once. You should keep this in mind when you test SqueezePlug. Scan the first once and than play music.

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

bradypus

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:46 pm

truehl wrote:Hi folks,
I've tested the HDMI sound output from SqueezeSlave, because someone reported that it don't run stable. I can not confirm this. It's running great for me the last 4 hours and the sound is incredible. I've tested mp3 and even FLAC without any problem!
Thomas,

I've now tried using squeezeslave with the sound output through the headphone socket. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that the sound quality was much better than I'd expected from other reports I've read. Quality was better through the TV (then fed to my hi-fi preamp) via HDMI though. However, I'm still getting interruptions to the sound. This seems to happen mostly if I'm browsing the library and modifying the playlist whilst it is playing. If I just leave it playing then interruptions are rare.

I've now also updated to kernel 122 and find that the symptoms persist. Haven't tried rescanning the library yet though, so I can't report if I get the speed improvement you do.

As I said earlier, this isn't a serious issue for me since I'll be using a Squeezebox Duet reciever for the conversion to analogue audio, I'm just reporting what I find.

Regards

Ian

Paul Webster

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:50 pm

I also get interruptions - usually coinciding with SD card activity.
Perhaps my SD card is slow.

Thomas - are you using sD for everything (except the music) or do you have some pieces stored on USB disk?

truehl

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Paul Webster wrote:I also get interruptions - usually coinciding with SD card activity.
Perhaps my SD card is slow.

Thomas - are you using sD for everything (except the music) or do you have some pieces stored on USB disk?
In my tests I used a samba connection to the music. The music is stored on a USB disk connected to an other SqueezePlug device (on a Dockstar in my net). But the server an the player are installed on the same RPi.

Maybe running server and player on one RPi is bit to much for one device. We should try to run server and player on two different RPi's. This would also be a nice and cheap configuration. I can try this the next days, because I have to RPi's.

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl

fifthQ

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:20 am

Outstanding work, Thomas!

I've set up my Pi with the Logitech Media Server and Squeezslave, and I have to say, I'm amazed how good it is. I knew the Pi had the potential to do some cool stuff, but I never expected that something this stable and mature would be available this early. Setup couldn't have gone more smoothly, and usage has been a breeze too. This will definitely be a permanent fixture in my system. I have been considering a Squeezebox for quite a while now, but I could never justify the expense on top of all my other gear. Now I don't have to. Massive thanks to everyone involved in the development.

Since you asked for feedback...

Testing set up:
Wired connection
500GB 2.5" 5400 HDD (in powered dock)
phone charger for Pi
squeezeslave player
analogue output to Sony Amp (DA1200ES).
HDMI output to Sony TV (KDL-EX40...?)

- As others have noted, analogue audio isn't fantastic, everything is a bit "murky" or "dark" IMO. It doesn't sound bad by any means, but it isn't quite up to par either.
- I'm getting audio pops on start, stop, and manual track changes when using analogue audio. I've noticed this with Raspbmc and Debian also though.
- I'm also getting the occasional audio interuptions, but they are so few and far between, I haven't managed to spot what's going on exactly.
- HDMI tested only very briefly, but I like it. Audio is clean, no more popping audio when skipping tracks etc. Once I get hold of an optical adaptor to hook up to my amp, I expect the sound will be fine 99% of the time.

Aside from the usual Android controller apps, I've also done some quick testing with BubbleUPnP.
- Playing from the Pi to my phone worked without issue.
- Bubble also picks up squeezeslave as a network player, and I can stream mp3 from my phone to the Pi. Only one track at a time though, the Bubble playlist doesn't load in the server.
- I get an "Illegal MIME-type (code:714)" error when trying to stream FLAC audio from my phone to the Pi. I have disabled MIME type checks in Bubble, but it makes no difference if it is on or off, the error is the same. I wasn't really expecting this to work to begin with, but it would be a very handy feature if it did.
- Using Bubble as a controller doesn't seem to work either. Again, I wasn't expecting it to, but it would have been nice. If I choose the Pi as the source, and squeezeslave as the player, I just get an action timeout when trying to start playback.

Wishlist (just throwing ideas in the ring):
- DLNA audio renderer. Something simple like Private Dancer on Android would be awesome.
- Airplay support. I don't need it, but I'm sure others would find it useful.

jojojojojojo

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:18 am

fifthQ wrote:Outstanding work, Thomas!

I've set up my Pi with the Logitech Media Server and Squeezslave, and I have to say, I'm amazed how good it is.
Hi fifthQ,
did you try to control the Squeezeslave via an Android-Squeezebox-App, and if so, is it something that can be used in every day life (in terms of speed basically: browsing and searching the library..)?
Kind regards,
Johannes

Argon

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:30 am

Yes !

I use an Yarvik Android Tablet and my Nexus One as remote, it works perfect!

bradypus

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:40 am

jojojojojojo wrote:
fifthQ wrote:Outstanding work, Thomas!

I've set up my Pi with the Logitech Media Server and Squeezslave, and I have to say, I'm amazed how good it is.
Hi fifthQ,
did you try to control the Squeezeslave via an Android-Squeezebox-App, and if so, is it something that can be used in every day life (in terms of speed basically: browsing and searching the library..)?
Kind regards,
Johannes
Johannes,

I used squeezeslave with an Android app, Android browser, Windows browser and squeezebox controller. It was quite fast enough, with only a few brief pauses when opening large folders, and updating artwork thumbnails. I've experienced far worse doing basic file management on a windows desktop ;)

Oh yes, another datum to consider: I tried using squeezeslave on the r-pi connected to a library on a desktop PC elsewhere on my network. I still get the sound interruptions, and they seemed to be more frequent. I also tried changing the memory allocation to give the GPU 64MB instead of 32 (I think it's the GPU that's doing the audio decoding, so I thought giving it some more RAM might allow it a larger buffer which might fix the). It made no difference.

fifthQ

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:44 am

jojojojojojo wrote:Hi fifthQ,
Kind regards,
Johannes
Hi Johannes,

Yes, I've tried a couple of different Android controller apps, and yes, I'd say the are definitely usable for every day life. So far, I've only really tested Squeezer and SqueezeDroid, but there doesn't seem to be much between them in terms of performance as far as I can tell. Speed for browsing etc is perfectly adequate on both IMO. As bradypus pointed out, you might see a brief pause every once in a while for artwork updates etc, but it's nothing you wouldn't expect.

=)

jojojojojojo

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:20 pm

Argon, bradypus, fifthQ (what an opener:-)
great! Thanks for the quick and positive answers. Really looking forward to this. Hope the Pi will be around soon..
Regards,
Johannes

gjs

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:23 pm

By way of feedback, here's my experiences so far.

My aim is just to have squeezeslave running via a wireless connection to Squeezeserver for now. I tried to install it on the standard Debian image using the instructions here http://dabdig.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/ru ... ry-pi.html but it would not run reliably, audio output stopping after about half an hour.

So I installed the SqueezePlug image and that ran reliably for several hours using a wired network connection. I then tried to install a Micronet Model No: SP907NS WLAN adaptor (Realtek RTL8188CUS) using the menu items. I don't know if this adaptor is supported as I was not able to find any info on supported devices at http://www.squeezeplug.de. This failed, with the RPi not booting at all with the adaptor plugged in. So I reloaded the squeezeplug image and run the platform selection but before running setup, I ran the script described here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =26&t=6256 which successfully enables the wireless adaptor. I then continued with the squeezeplug setup which went normally, just installing SqueezeSlave.

I've now had a playlist looping for about 13 hrs and it's still running fine.

I also installed SNMPD which works fine.

Many thanks to Thomas for his excellent work. I haven't tried to run a server on the RPi yet but many others have and this is a very impressive feat indeed.

Khan

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Many thanks for this great little tool :D

At first I was skeptic about perfomance or "user-friendliness" but soon I was able to stream my movies effortlessly throught my network ( piece of cake with XBMC in Windows).

My goal is to plug a USB HDD with tons of multimedia content to the RasPi and streaming it over different networks but I´m clueless at this point.

What server-client setup do I need to stablish in order to access my mediatomb server from a remote network?

Thanks a lot ;)

truehl

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi,
just like to inform you about things going on in the project! Right now I'm testing with the new Wheezy Image. That works great forage and I think it will be a performance improvement. The only issue I have is that SqueezeSlave with HDMI runs fine with a perfect sound for some time. But after that, the sound is getting very ugly. After a reboot the sound is normal again. I think I have already seen this bug and it is a problem with the kernel, but I'm not sure about this. I've already informed the developer of SqueezeSlave and I hope we will find a solution for that. Did someone else of you saw this bug?! Maybe with other distros?

Greetings, Thomas
truehl

truehl

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:11 am

SqueezePlug website down because DDos attack!

The provider is working for a solution and I hope it will ne up and running soon!

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl

truehl

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:22 am

Hi folks,
I did some intensive tests with SqueezePlay the last days and I like to inform you about the result:
1. I've tested a lot of other distributions as a platform for SqueezePlug, even Wheezy based. So far everything work well, but after a while I can see sound problems on all these distributions.
2. So I went back to my original image, based on the official Squeeze image from the foundation site.
3. I've updated this distribution with:
rpi-update
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
4. I'm running SqueezeSlave with HDMI output sine 24 hours now, with no issues and a perfect sound.
5. Next days I'll make a new and final image based on Squeeze and some more bug fixes and some more features.
6. The SqueezePlug Wiki also will be finished soon.

I hope you will like it,
Have fun,

Thomas
truehl

truehl

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:30 am

SqueezePlug Web-Site is up and running again!
truehl

Argon

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Perfect! Thanks :)

jojojojojojo

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi guys,

one more question.. Since I'd like to connect the RPi with Squeezeplug to an analog hifi amplifier, I have to use some sort of converter digital to audio (since analog output is not really good, as I read).

HDMI will go to TV, but then there is also a DVI. Can I just connect the DVI to a converter like this?

http://www.amazon.de/Digital-Toslink-An ... d_sxp_f_pt

Hence, is the digital audio out also present at the DVI on the Rpi, similar to HDMI?

Anybody tried this already maybe in a similar setup?

Thank you already in advance!

Regards,

Johannes

jojojojojojo

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Ok, I think I got it all wrong.. Thats not a DVI-Port on the Pi.. So only possibility to get decent sound for analog amp would be either a converter HDMI->VGA/Audio, or a USB-soundcard; the latter one maybe being too hungry on the resources..
Regards,
Johannes

truehl

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:41 am

Hi Folks,
some good news: I will add two more goodies to SqueezePlug:

1. Shairport
Shairport is a AirTunes player. With Shairport you are able to "beam" music from iTunes (on your PC) or from any iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod) to the Raspberry Pi. So you can use RPi as a Player device for iTunes. I'm still testing it it seems to work. It runs as a daemon on RPi with very less CPU load (about 7 % average). Right now Shairport don't run stable for me. Music-playback stops after a while and you have to start again. Did someone else see such problems?

2. forked-daapd
forked-daapd is a iTunes Server which should also be able to run as a player. I could not test the player functionality but server works.

Is there someone out there to help me to get these two programs to work? Please tell me if you got one of those programs working stable. These programs really could improve the project!

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl

fifthQ

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:48 pm

Thought I'd update my test results in case anyone was curious.

New test setup:
Logitech Media server
Squeezeslave player
WiFi connection (Asus USB-N10)
500GB 2.5" 5400 HDD (in powered dock)
Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB audio output to Sony Amp (DA1200ES)
Belkin mini powered USB hub powering the Pi, WiFi & USB Audio (sorry, don't know exactly which hub, I've had it for years and it has nothing written on it other than Belkin)

- WiFi. Setup was fairly painless. I downloaded/installed the driver, ran the Squeezeplug Network Setup, rebooted. All's well. It does take 2-3 minutes after start up before I can connect, this is consistent though, so once you know about it, it's not an issue.

- Turtle Beach USB Audio Advantage Micro (not the micro II currently on the market, again, I've had it a while). Absolutely no setup required. Plugged it in, turned on the Pi, and it worked. Fairly sure it uses ALSA drivers, but since I haven't needed to investigate, I can't be positive. Audio is clean, no pops on start etc. Using the analogue headphone out of the Turtle Beach is an improvement from on board sound, but still less than stellar. Once you add the SPDIF connection, there is a very noticeable improvement yet again, as you'd expect.

- I do seem to get a few more audio interruptions with the Wifi and USB Audio together, but they're still pretty few and far between really. Might need to play with different power supplies and see if it makes any difference.

@ Thomas - I was going to take a look at Shairport this weekend, will let you know if I have any more luck than you (this is extremely unlikely).

=)

Return to “Media centres”