Outstanding work, Thomas!
I've set up my Pi with the Logitech Media Server and Squeezslave, and I have to say, I'm amazed how good it is. I knew the Pi had the potential to do some cool stuff, but I never expected that something this stable and mature would be available this early. Setup couldn't have gone more smoothly, and usage has been a breeze too. This will definitely be a permanent fixture in my system. I have been considering a Squeezebox for quite a while now, but I could never justify the expense on top of all my other gear. Now I don't have to. Massive thanks to everyone involved in the development.
Since you asked for feedback...
Testing set up:
500GB 2.5" 5400 HDD (in powered dock)
phone charger for Pi
analogue output to Sony Amp (DA1200ES).
HDMI output to Sony TV (KDL-EX40...?)
- As others have noted, analogue audio isn't fantastic, everything is a bit "murky" or "dark" IMO. It doesn't sound bad by any means, but it isn't quite up to par either.
- I'm getting audio pops on start, stop, and manual track changes when using analogue audio. I've noticed this with Raspbmc and Debian also though.
- I'm also getting the occasional audio interuptions, but they are so few and far between, I haven't managed to spot what's going on exactly.
- HDMI tested only very briefly, but I like it. Audio is clean, no more popping audio when skipping tracks etc. Once I get hold of an optical adaptor to hook up to my amp, I expect the sound will be fine 99% of the time.
Aside from the usual Android controller apps, I've also done some quick testing with BubbleUPnP.
- Playing from the Pi to my phone worked without issue.
- Bubble also picks up squeezeslave as a network player, and I can stream mp3 from my phone to the Pi. Only one track at a time though, the Bubble playlist doesn't load in the server.
- I get an "Illegal MIME-type (code:714)" error when trying to stream FLAC audio from my phone to the Pi. I have disabled MIME type checks in Bubble, but it makes no difference if it is on or off, the error is the same. I wasn't really expecting this to work to begin with, but it would be a very handy feature if it did.
- Using Bubble as a controller doesn't seem to work either. Again, I wasn't expecting it to, but it would have been nice. If I choose the Pi as the source, and squeezeslave as the player, I just get an action timeout when trying to start playback.
Wishlist (just throwing ideas in the ring):
- DLNA audio renderer. Something simple like Private Dancer on Android would be awesome.
- Airplay support. I don't need it, but I'm sure others would find it useful.