mantekka

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:57 pm

I don't know the WDCloud drive, but you probably need to configure nfs access on it. Maybe an exports file, that's what I needed to setup on my NAS. You might find it in a configuration interface if you have one.
e.g. https://access.redhat.com/site/document ... ports.html

For the cifs command, did you insert the correct IP and drive address according to your own network?

Pete6

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:39 pm

I fixed it. Here's the command that works from the command line.

Code: Select all

mount -w -t cifs -o username=pete,password=,_netdev,sec=ntlm //192.168.1.20/public/ /mnt/samba/
This is what you put in to /etc/fstab
Edit fstab on squeezeplug with

pico /etc/fstab

//192.168.1.20/public /mnt/samba/ cifs username=yourusername,password=yourpassword,sec=ntlm
I tried to do this with squeezeplug's setup script and noticed that the entry the script put into fstab was missing the "/" between the IP address and the word public

192.168.1.20public
. Not good.

I have not yet made this work with NFS. I will keep going until I do.

Also worth noting that "Public" is the valid WDMyCloud share name and this must be used. Do not use the full Linux directory path as I initially tried to do.

The pi is now doing a faster job of running LMS than the WDMyCloud did. Time will tell if it is actually better.

Thanks for your help. You put me ion the right track.
My favorite programming language is a soldering iron.

Bieka

Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Hello,

I usw squeezeplug now for over a year and it is simply great. Thanks for that.
Last Werk i decided to upgrade my V6 to a V7 and i am impressed about how fluid this works. Only one thing. Sometimes devices leave the list andust be rebooted by cutting power and plug it in again. Is there any Chance to solve this or can i read somewhere Why they stuck?! My first opinion was to let Thema reboot by system task every nicht on 4 am so this is solved by doing that. Vor -if possible- when they leave the Server connection automatically reboot till reconnect. Maximum 5 times and then again in an hour vor a half. Is this possible. Sorry but i'm noob for scripts and Linux so i habe to ask you Pros ;-)

denis_hr

Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi everyone - my first post here.
I have a couple of RasPis that I use for various tinkering, and one is used as an XBMC media center (watching movies).
I already tried to make a hi-fi player out of RasPi, but none of the previous iterations were satisfactory - because I used USB external DACs.

It all changed with the arrival of Wolfson audio card and squeezeplug... I must say I'm very happy with it: I use MPD instead of squeezebox (LMS) server - LMS interface was rather slow, although the sound quality was excellent.
Big thanks, Thomas! - and I made a donation, too :)

Now, with MPD server , lighttpd and web control (phpmp), it works quite nicely, the sound is excellent, no issues there.

However, I'll try to put everything into a nice enclosure for a "proper" audio server (most likely together with a TPA3116 amp board, which is quite good). But, I'd like to add also a 20x4 LCD for displaying song info etc., and an IR remote for simple control (play/stop, next/previous song, etc. - without the need to fiddle with the tablet or a mobile phone).

Since Wolfson card "occupies" all the GPIO pins, I'm at a loss how to handle LCD connection. Luckily, I have an I2C LCD interface, and could try that. For IR remote, I'll probably just use a Chinese USB remote (MCE clone), no need for GPIO pins there...

In short and to the point: has anyone implemented I2C LCD display together with the Wolfson card on RasPi yet?

Also, how could one implement a power-off/reset button, since GPIOS are occupied?
I intend to have a power on/off button for shutting everything down. Powering up is not a problem - but I need to do a "proper" shutdown before cutting power to the RasPi.... Any ideas?

Thanks,
Denis

DougieLawson

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:59 pm

denis_hr wrote: In short and to the point: has anyone implemented I2C LCD display together with the Wolfson card on RasPi yet?
The Wolfson card doesn't pass the SPI or I2C buses out to the external connectors. You get 5V0, 3V3, GND, TXD (pin8/GPIO14) and RXD (pin10/GPIO15). You can disable the serial console and do your own thing with those two GPIO pins.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

denis_hr

Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:10 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
You can disable the serial console and do your own thing with those two GPIO pins.
Thanks - that's what I thought... It could be used for I2C connection.

That still leaves me with a practical problem of shutting down the whole shebang using a hardware button - which seems to be quite a can of worms :(

The only easy solution I can think of is to use USB remote control to initiate shutdown, wait about 30 seconds until RPi shuts down, and then use the hardware power switch to cut the power completely. Not very practical (always requires the remote to do a proper shutdown first), but everything else is way too complicated (relays, etc.) and again requires at least GPIO 14, GND and Vcc, from what I understand...
Any ideas about how I could solve hardware button shutdown (without the need for USB remote or ssh or web access first?)

bencat

Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Sorry if this is not the right thread but wonder if I could ask for a little help. I use a Raspberry Pi as headless LMS server connected to a powered hub with USB HD . This now works very well and does all that I want . I bought a second Pi and now have the Wolfson Dac card. Installed Squeezplug and intend to use this as a plyer only using the digital out of the Wolfson .

Installation went okay and everything seemed to load. I can access the Squeezelite player via Putty and can also see the Squeezelite player on the network section on my Laptop so it is there .However when I look at the LMS interface on 9000 there is not Squeezlite player to view to control .

Tried loading the Squeezeslave player and this was found by LMS but you can not use the Wolfson with this program . Can anyone identify why the player is not being recognised ? Any suggestions welcome but if you need information from my Pi player then please can you be clear telling me were and how to get it as I have no skills at all only able to follow instructions such as those by Thomas for Squeezeplug.

Anderson69s

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:17 pm

Hi, all how are you?

I add a wolfson sound card today to my squeezeplug 7.0.9, change the kernel after installing squeezelite...

Try uname -a : 3.10.25+
try aplay -l : wolfson recognize in position 0

But I use squeezeplug only for shairport and I can't find a way to play the sound I stream from my iphone to the wolfson card... Shairport only working on standard jack... Even after I desintall squeezelite to allow alsa to output on wolfson card... Even after I modify /etc/modules to shut down the on board audio card...

Am I the only one having this issue? Is it possible to output shairport on wolfson sound card?
Raspberry Pi Model B3+ 512Mo
Raspberry Pi Model B2+ 512Mo
Raspberry Pi Model B+ 512Mo
Raspberry Pi Model B 512Mo
Raspberry Pi Model A 256Mo
Raspberry Pi Model Compte Module
Raspberry Sense HAT
RaspiCam

denis_hr

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:10 pm

DougieLawson wrote: The Wolfson card doesn't pass the SPI or I2C buses out to the external connectors. You get 5V0, 3V3, GND, TXD (pin8/GPIO14) and RXD (pin10/GPIO15). You can disable the serial console and do your own thing with those two GPIO pins.
I'd appreciate some more help, if possible, being a newbie with RasPi and I2C... :(

I've done the required changes (disabled serial console), and also added remapping of GPIO 14 and 15 to /etc/rc.local, as found here:
http://www.element14.com/community/mess ... ess#107087
Installed the i2c, etc., as per Adafruit instructions (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-16- ... pi-for-i2c).

So, I connected SDA to TX pin, and SCL to RX pin, but after running i2cdetect, I'm getting this:

# i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- 
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --    
My I2C LCD is powered on, initial "image" (two rows of squares) is shown, with good contrast, but seems like RPi isn't detecting it?

Anything else I should do?

TIA,

Denis

denis_hr

Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:50 pm

Regarding my issues with I2C LCD, I've solved it by simply soldering two short leads to the pins on the Wolfson card (SDA0 and SCL0, i.e. RasPi GPIO2 and GPIO3), and got my I2C LCD recognised, and can now work with it....

Which means that I2C devices can be "chained" off the same pins - at least in this case, with Wolfson audio card and I2C LCD...

So, got the USB IR remote working, plus the LCD.
Not bad :)

bobbydriver

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:22 am

I'm planning to get on Odroid U3 to run Squeezeplug - does the Odroid power a 2.5" USB HDD connected via the USB (without external power)?

mantekka

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Odroid only works with external power. You can't power via USB only.
I found this out after mine arrived!
It's much faster though and working well!

bobbydriver

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks - I suspected as much. The Odroid page is a bit misleading as they state here:

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5585
Re: Maximum power over USB ?

Postby odroid » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:29 pm
Normaly we can use a keyboard, a mouse and a 2.5inch USB-HDD without external power supply.

mantekka

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:25 pm

Hmm I think I misunderstood your original question actually!

You need to power the Odroid by a DC plug. 5V 2A
And with this, I expect the you should have enough power tp be able to power an external HDD by Odroid USB connection.

bobbydriver

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Awesome, that means I could connect my NAS disk directly to Odroid via USB rather than via a SAMBA share on the NAS server.

That should be quicker disk access right? Both NAS and Pi are ethernet hard-wired to my router

noxid8

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm trying to download SqueezePlug V 7.08 for Odroid but it keeps timing out. When I start the download it says it's going to take 12hrs. Is there another source for the download? I did a google search for squeezeplug_odroid_708.zip but only the SqueezePlug site comes up. Any mirror sites or torrent?

Thanks.

drgeoff

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:37 pm

bobbydriver wrote:Awesome, that means I could connect my NAS disk directly to Odroid via USB rather than via a SAMBA share on the NAS server.

That should be quicker disk access right? Both NAS and Pi are ethernet hard-wired to my router
The model B+ RPi has much improved USB facilities. 4 sockets with 1 or 2 of them good for 0.6 Amps each if your PSU is up to it. There is even a command to switch to 1.2 Amps. Should be enough to run a USB HD. And hot-plugging doesn't cause power-dip which would reboot model A or B.

(Total input current through micro-USB power input limited to 2 Amps by uprated polyfuse.)

wikcber

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi, I'm new to the pi-hifi game - but have built lots of other pi, bbone, etc. projects plus have had squeezeboxes for over a decade. IMHO, at least for my music library, squeezeplug (v. 7.09) has been the only workable software library/player sw so far - I've tried a half-dozen others that simply die because they can't handle a library in the 000s of CDs. Both the server and the player - nice. Bravo to Thomas for this! But - there is one catch stopping me from declaring victory, and that's the DAC - I can't get the Dragonfly to work, nor the Wolfson (w/ the kernel patches supplied in the setup for squeezeplug). The Dragonfly seems to need 24 bit/96khz input, perhaps somebody has some hints about how to deal with this - it is recognized everywhere along the audio chain by linux, etc., and I've set the volume, but, output is just crackling noise. With the Wolfson, the startup script complains about not being able to find some wolfon init shell files...and there's zip sound out of it, so perhaps somebody has some insights into that.

Thanks for any help.

noxid8

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:52 pm

wikcber wrote:Hi, I'm new to the pi-hifi game - but have built lots of other pi, bbone, etc. projects plus have had squeezeboxes for over a decade. IMHO, at least for my music library, squeezeplug (v. 7.09) has been the only workable software library/player sw so far - I've tried a half-dozen others that simply die because they can't handle a library in the 000s of CDs. Both the server and the player - nice. Bravo to Thomas for this! But - there is one catch stopping me from declaring victory, and that's the DAC - I can't get the Dragonfly to work, nor the Wolfson (w/ the kernel patches supplied in the setup for squeezeplug). The Dragonfly seems to need 24 bit/96khz input, perhaps somebody has some hints about how to deal with this - it is recognized everywhere along the audio chain by linux, etc., and I've set the volume, but, output is just crackling noise. With the Wolfson, the startup script complains about not being able to find some wolfon init shell files...and there's zip sound out of it, so perhaps somebody has some insights into that.
Thanks for any help.
I'll put a plug for the HiFiBerry. I have had great success with that DAC.

wikcber

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks...I'll try that tip!
noxid8 wrote:
wikcber wrote:Hi, I'm new to the pi-hifi game - but have built lots of other pi, bbone, etc. projects plus have had squeezeboxes for over a decade. IMHO, at least for my music library, squeezeplug (v. 7.09) has been the only workable software library/player sw so far - I've tried a half-dozen others that simply die because they can't handle a library in the 000s of CDs. Both the server and the player - nice. Bravo to Thomas for this! But - there is one catch stopping me from declaring victory, and that's the DAC - I can't get the Dragonfly to work, nor the Wolfson (w/ the kernel patches supplied in the setup for squeezeplug). The Dragonfly seems to need 24 bit/96khz input, perhaps somebody has some hints about how to deal with this - it is recognized everywhere along the audio chain by linux, etc., and I've set the volume, but, output is just crackling noise. With the Wolfson, the startup script complains about not being able to find some wolfon init shell files...and there's zip sound out of it, so perhaps somebody has some insights into that.
Thanks for any help.
I'll put a plug for the HiFiBerry. I have had great success with that DAC.

rl_jazz

Can I use an NTFS formatted drive as the music library on Od

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:19 am

Hi all,
Just got my Odroid U3 yesterday and started preping it for installing the SqueezePlug.
I'm currently stuck at the Media Library stage.
My music is all located on a USB drive, previously formatted for NTFS (have ~12K music files on it).
But when trying to mount it using the Squeezeplug setup it appears that it doesn't recognize it.
I plugged a FAT32 formatted thumb-drive to the Odroid and repeated the procedure and that actually worked.

So, is NTFS basically not supported? Do I have to reformat to FAT32?

I've seen some previous posts on NTFS and Squeezeplug (ver. 5) but couldn't get to the bottom line.

Thanks,
Ronen.

wikcber

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:41 pm

A self-update re SP & dacs: no luck yet w the Dragonfly, but I did get the wolfson running by setting the alsa buffer to 40 (default is 0). Excellent but not perfect sound compared to running it straight thru eg benchmark or alpha dac. Squeeze lite 1.6 seems to have dropped ffmpeg from its armhf binary, instead is transcoding some codecs on the fly. V 1.4 and 1.5 had ffmpeg built in for native decoding. If somebody could post a link to a working binary for pi that would be helpful. Recompiling doesn't work for armhf due to bugs in some of the support libraries; the fixed versions that do work on armhf have put back ffmpeg but use libraries from much more recent Debian releases, and these break on wheezy-type builds. I will be working my way thru lots of dac testing. So far, beyond DF, Wolfson, just tried the Behringer. IMHO quality a lot worse than wolfson. Note: have to plug it directly into pi USB, even tho I'm using a powered hub; if I plug it into the hub one gets junk. Also, alsa buffer required adjustment from 0 to 59. Hifimediy is next up.

wikcber

Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:34 am

And another self-update: I managed to get squeezelite compiled for armhf w/ ffmpeg support (and also found another user who had done this), so I'm testing out squeezelite w/ alac to alac streaming.... the dragonfly and behringer work -- sort of; still too many drop outs and clicks, and the audio just isn't as clear as it should be. Too many variables and configuration parameters (and hardware variables) to see what's mucking up the sound. So far, the wolfson card seems to be the best, sonically.

aftours

Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:11 pm

Hey guys, i just started to use the newest SqueezePlug on my Raspberr Pi b and it just works fine.
As often mentioned, the 3,5 jack does not have a good. I wanted to know, how i can use my stereo over usb?

It is a philips az 2558 which i attach via usb and with

lsusb
i get this information:

[email protected]:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Bus 001 Device 006: [b]ID 0471:0110 Philips[/b] (or NXP)
Fine, the device is recognized, but i do not know how to configure the audio device.

On Ubuntu 14.04 the device is working, but there is a gui to enable the sound device. Where or how should i do this for the raspberry pi with SueezePlug?

Thanks!

six3323

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi together,

i am new with my raspberry and started with the squeezebplug. Installation and setup with squeezelite works fine - GREAT !!!!

My Raspberry should work as a squeezebox client ... and i would like to connect a TFT to the hdmi an see the Squeezebox Menu with CD Cover etc. (like the original squeezebox touch).

I could not find any tipps or howtos ... for my wish. My Raspberry boots to the squeezeplug login and ich can't find any option in setup to change this.

Pleas help me with a noobie tutorial (i have linux knowledge).

Return to “Media centres”