dimmer01

Odroid vs RPi/I2S

Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:27 pm

Thomas,
Can you explain why you recommend Odroid as server and RPi/I2S for players?
Why not Odroid for all? The specs of the onboard DAC on the Odroid seem to be high-end.
I would expect that having a faster processor would be a benefit for the player also (ex. less chance of sync issues).
If anyone else has an opinion, please chime in.

Gerhardc

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:28 pm

The most advantage for picoreplayer is:

1. iI is not necessary to power down the system, unplug and all is ok if you dont use it. Start after power off is very fast.
2. A lot of I2C DAC available and supported (i have very good experience with HiFiBerry)

truehl

Re: Odroid vs RPi/I2S

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:44 pm

dimmer01 wrote:Thomas,
Can you explain why you recommend Odroid as server and RPi/I2S for players?
Why not Odroid for all? The specs of the onboard DAC on the Odroid seem to be high-end.
I would expect that having a faster processor would be a benefit for the player also (ex. less chance of sync issues).
If anyone else has an opinion, please chime in.
Odroid is an option for server and player, sure. I'm not an HiFi expert, so I can't say much about the sound quality of Odroid, maybe it's close to the Raspberry Pi sound cards, but let's decide this from people who know a bit more about HiFi or audiophile. I like the combination, because a Raspberry Pi as a Player is absolutely great and less expensive than an Odroid. The performance is only needed on the server, not on the player. If you run server and player on one device, Odroid performs much better, but Raspberry Pi is also o.k., if you accept a bit less performance of the server. The web-interface of LMS is much more reliable on Odroid and so are the remote control reactions.

Hope that helps,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

truehl

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Gerhardc wrote:The most advantage for picoreplayer is:

1. iI is not necessary to power down the system, unplug and all is ok if you dont use it. Start after power off is very fast.
2. A lot of I2C DAC available and supported (i have very good experience with HiFiBerry)
I don't understand this post. Is this an answer to a question? SqueezePlug supports HiFiBerry (analogue and digital), IQaudIO and the Wolfson card as I2C devices and a lot of USB DACs, like PiCorePlayer. I think that the Wolfson card is not supported by piCore jet. SqueezePlug is server and player, PiCore is a player. Don't get me wrong, I like PiCorePlayer very much, so Steen and me have integrated an option to burn a piCore SD-card directly from SqueezePlug. But please don't compare apples and a pears. This post is only for clarification! :P

Thomas
truehl

Gerhardc

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:19 pm

My answer was for dimmer01 question about sound from Odroid. My server for example runs 24/7. Most players are running only from time to time. If they are unused for sound, it's only necessary to cut the power. That is my argument to run the player on picoplayer.

dimmer01

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:19 pm

Some good discussions here ... thanks for the replies.
The Odroid is still fairly new and feedback as to its audio quality is sparse.
For the most part, I'm happy with RPi as players ... except when syncing multiple zones. Sometimes I can hear that the zones are out of sync or I hear slight skips when it syncs one of the players.
I can't help but think that a multicore cpu would help with syncing (ie. network and audio playback can be executed in parallel ).
Also, I suppose if the Odroid can handle multiple USB DACs, it might actually be cheaper to implement for a multizone setup. Right now I have 4 RPi players; 1 per zone. Maybe I can service the same 4 zones with only 2 Odroids (each with 2 usb DACs) ... maybe one Odroid it can handle all 4 zones??
It's interesting to see how all of this has been developing ... it's only getting better!

Paul Webster

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Paul Webster wrote:My IQaudIO board arrived today.
Will be practicing soldering skills over Easter - also plan to add an infrared remote.
Infrared remote via GPIO now added (I already had a USB IR control working via Soundblaster USB audio device but plan is to replace with IQaudIO to save space so needed new IR remote).
Soldering over Easter hopefully.

truehl

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:54 pm

Paul Webster wrote:
Will be practicing soldering skills over Easter - also plan to add an infrared remote.
Infrared remote via GPIO now added (I already had a USB IR control working via Soundblaster USB audio device but plan is to replace with IQaudIO to save space so needed new IR remote).
Good Luck!!! Maybe try to solder a hole in an easter egg first before you toast the Pi :P

Thomas
truehl

DexterBelgium

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:21 am

I've been trying to get a very specific set up going via squeezeplug, and have been having failures due to unknown reasons... Maybe you guys could help?

I'm trying to realize a setup with four squeezelite clients in total running on the same Pi, each driving a separate PCM2704 usb Dac (for separate zones in the house).

Steps taken so far:
- burn Squeezeplug image to SD, insert into Pi, connect power and Dacs (all on a single USB Hub which is also providing the power to the Pi)
- setup the first Squeezelite instance using "setup" (giving it a name that refers to the zone and telling it to use sysdefault:CARD=DAC (for information the audio devices listed are that one, followed by the "front" "40", "41" "51" etc that you would expect to see for a DAC with 5.1 digital out, and the same for DAC_1 through DAC_3 for the other ones).
- I can then exit setup to comandline and test the client. It proceeds to produce shitty sound, which is fixed by adding

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.speed=1
to commandline.txt.
- I can then start the second client without problem with

squeezelite -z -o sysdefault:CARD=DAC_1 -n Kitchen -m 00:00:00:00:00:02
(it should be noted that this works, no matter which DAC I pick (DAC_1, DAC_2 or DAC_3)
- When I try starting the third client

squeezelite -z -o sysdefault:CARD=DAC_2 -n Lounge -m 00:00:00:00:00:03
it fails. If I do it without the -z, it gives me an error that it cannot open the audio device (errors 124 and 35 - broken pipe). I get the same error when trying to address the remaining two DACS with speaker-test, suggesting that the first two squeezelite daemons are actually preventing access to the other two DACS.

I've been messing about with ALSA settings and such, but not really getting anywhere.

Does anyone have any pointer for me as to debugging steps to take to sort this out?

truehl

Future Strategy Of SquuzePlug

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:13 am

Hi folks, a lot of you guys asked, so let me give you a brief explanation of my future strategy of SqueezePlug.

Supported hardware for SqueezePlug now and in future will be Raspberry Pi and Odroid U3. Both will support server and player functionality. Activities around the Wandboard devices will be dropped, I like the Odriod U3 device much more, they are less expensive and more powerful!

The main use for Raspberry Pi should be a low end alternative for LMS server and a low end player without a I2C DAC. With a I2C DAC (HiFiBerry, IQaudIO, Wolfson) it's a high end audiophile player alternative. Odroid should be used as a high end server alternative and as well as a player. A combination of both devices makes sense, Odroid as server and Raspberry Pi as players for a multi room setup.

SqueezePlug will concentrate on the SqueezeBox (LMS) ecosystem so it will mainly support SqueezeBox Server and SqueezeLite Player. Some additional server and player products will also be supported, but this is not the focus. Shairplay will also be supported. AccesPoint functionality on all device is a goal, Raspberry already supports this, Odroid will follow.

SqueezePlug will also cooperate with PiCorePlayer (Steen) to make it easy to use SqueezePlug and piCorePlayer components together.

The installation and setup will stay as it is, using dialog for an easy and intuitive step by step setup. An alternative will be a Web-based installation and configuration. I'll cooperate with the guys from max2play in future.

The guys from max2play will also sell products around the SqueezePlug software like the Odroid devices. Maybe they will also sell "ready to use" products like complete tailored servers and players. Shipping all over Europe will be possible, maybe as well a worldwide shipping is possible.

I hope you agree with this strategy, comments are welcome in the known forums.

Thomas
truehl

Han963

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:18 am

Hello Thomas

did you find the time to,look at the installation problem of the MPD server ?

With kind regards Han

truehl

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:24 am

Han963 wrote:Hello Thomas

With kind regards Han
I'll take a look today!

Thomas
truehl

truehl

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:19 am

truehl wrote:
Han963 wrote:Hello Thomas

With kind regards Han
I'll take a look today!

Thomas
Hi Han,
Checked an found the solution! Packages of MPD are updated, so an "apt-get update" is needed before the installation. I'll integrate it in the next patch, but you can also do it easy by hand, before you run my setup script. Please also remember, that you maybe need to reboot, to force MPD to scan you music library. The path is set to /mnt by default, but you can change it. Please also remember to adjust the sound output to headphone or HDMI, as you like! I'm not sure if MPD runs with I2C DACs, but I'll investigate this!

Hope it helps!

Thomas
truehl

Gerhardc

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Subj.: Squeezeplug for Odroid

Hallo Thomas,

i have enabled xorg to configure the wlan adapter. Ubuntu desktop has been startet with an "exception error" screen and was blocked. It is not so important for me at the moment, but i would like to inform you.
With xorg disabled, Ubuntu logon screen is displayed, but i was not able to login with the Squeezeplug logon user and password. Could you provide this information for me?

truehl

SqueezePlug Version 7.09 released

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:07 am

SqueezePlug Version 7.09 released:

Minor patch from 19.04.2014

Changelog:
- squeezelite.sh add missing firmware update for IQaudIO support
- mpd.sh add missing apt-get update before the installation

Please update your SqueezePlug from the setup menu: Type "setup" from the console and choose <Basic Configuration> and then <Update_SP>.
truehl

Gerhardc

Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:05 am

Squeezeplug Strategie from Thomas.

Hi Thomas,
i'm fully agree with you about your future strategy to develop squeezeplug for Raspi and Odroid U3. I'm also more happy with the Odroide board in comparison to the Wandboard.

Paul Webster

Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Paul Webster wrote:
Soldering done - not beautiful and took a few times to clear up the solder that I had touching between pins (studied under magnifying glass before risking putting power to it) ... and now IQaudIO is up and running with GPIO pins propagated that I needed to power the remote control receiver.

Paul

truehl

Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:44 pm

Paul Webster wrote:
Paul Webster wrote:
Soldering done - not beautiful and took a few times to clear up the solder that I had touching between pins (studied under magnifying glass before risking putting power to it) ... and now IQaudIO is up and running with GPIO pins propagated that I needed to power the remote control receiver.

Paul
Fine, and what about the sound?

Thomas
truehl

Paul Webster

Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:02 am

The sound is fine (sounds the same to me as it was with the Siundblaster USB DAC that I was running before) - but I'm more of a gadget fan than an audiophile.
Real test will be throughout today when we are having a double birthday party and I plan to have it playing music most of the day.

billm555

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Just wanted to say I recently gave a Raspberry Pi a try and wanted specifically to use Squeezeplug for audio streaming. I dont have any Linux expirence, and just followed the instructions and video tutorial and everything is running great. Really wanted to say thanks for the great work.

Unrelated, not a huge fan of the Logitech IOS app, might give Ipeng a shot.

Is Airplay enabled by default? If not is there a way through the setup to enable it?

Bill M

CommanderROR

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:11 pm

@truehl

will your image work on the Odroid X2 as well? Maybe I'll just give it a try... ;)

CommanderROR

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:40 am

Ok, attempt made, but it did not work. I'll give it a more detailed attempt in the coming days.

truehl

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:57 am

CommanderROR wrote:Ok, attempt made, but it did not work. I'll give it a more detailed attempt in the coming days.
I think it should also work with the U2 device, but I can't try.

Thomas
truehl

CommanderROR

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:28 pm

It boots on Odroid X2, but the ethernet does not start. I guess there is a difference there...

Edit: it is strange, the ethernet is displayed in ifconfig and also in the GUI, but it does not work. Maybe some driver is missing.

truehl

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:20 pm

CommanderROR wrote:It boots on Odroid X2, but the ethernet does not start. I guess there is a difference there...

Edit: it is strange, the ethernet is displayed in ifconfig and also in the GUI, but it does not work. Maybe some driver is missing.
Do you have 2 Odriod devices in your net?
truehl

Return to “Media centres”