CommanderROR

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Hmmm...I just equipped my Squeezeplug Pi with a Hifiberry DAC, sadly it does not seem to work.
aplay -l and squeezelite -l both don't list the DAC.

It works out of the box with PiCorePlayer, something here must be different.

UPDATE: I fixed it by manually re-adding the entries in the modules file. Maybe there was a typo there somewhere?

ozcam

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:01 pm

I have installed squeezeplug 7 and the squeezelite player but cannot get audio to play through the usb dac. The usb dac is recognized but there is no option to select it when configuring sqeezelite. The only options available are headphones, hdmi or automatic. How can I select the usb dac as the default audio output device?
Thanks

truehl

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:21 am

CommanderROR wrote:Hmmm...I just equipped my Squeezeplug Pi with a Hifiberry DAC, sadly it does not seem to work.
aplay -l and squeezelite -l both don't list the DAC.

It works out of the box with PiCorePlayer, something here must be different.

UPDATE: I fixed it by manually re-adding the entries in the modules file. Maybe there was a typo there somewhere?
Could you paste the right commands here, please?

Thanks Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

truehl

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:22 am

ozcam wrote:I have installed squeezeplug 7 and the squeezelite player but cannot get audio to play through the usb dac. The usb dac is recognized but there is no option to select it when configuring sqeezelite. The only options available are headphones, hdmi or automatic. How can I select the usb dac as the default audio output device?
Thanks
Which DAC do you use?
truehl

CommanderROR

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:19 am

Actually they looked correct, I just pasted them in from where I had found them via Google.
Also, I set up another Squeezeplug Pi yesterday and the DAC worked right away, so it must have been something on my first installation.

ozcam

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:31 am

The DAC used is a C-Media.. I can get audio to play through the DAC by entering this command
aplay /usr/share/scratch/Media/Sounds/Animal/Bird.wav
SO I know the Dac is working. But not when I try to play audio through squeezelite..
A mystery to me at this stage..
Just an update.. I get audio out from the USB DAC when using squeezeplug , but not squeezelite

matteegee

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:14 am

.helge wrote:@those who have issues with crackling sound
try rpi-update to incorporate the fix from latest commit (only 3 hours old, https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/ ... 4b969f2caf)
maybe it helps

brgds,
Helge
So close! I updated and thought for the first few minutes of listening that it was all fixed but alas, it is not to be. It certainly is not as bad as before the update, its just the odd pop/crackle every few seconds, sometimes up to a couple of minutes between them.

An improvement yes, usable no.

ikke4

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:35 am

hi,

i'm qiuet new to this thread and i'm wondering if i can use this squeezeplug to host my music for the logitech ue smart radio.

greetingz

truehl

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:42 pm

ozcam wrote:The DAC used is a C-Media.. I can get audio to play through the DAC by entering this command
SO I know the Dac is working. But not when I try to play audio through squeezelite..
Just an update.. I get audio out from the USB DAC when using squeezeplug , but not squeezelite
Could you please paste the output of the command: /sp/scripts/squeezelite -L

Thomas
truehl

truehl

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:45 pm

ikke4 wrote:hi,

i'm qiuet new to this thread and i'm wondering if i can use this squeezeplug to host my music for the logitech ue smart radio.

greetingz
Yes, it can. But you have to downgrade the radio to use the LMS functionality. You can chose the option from the menu of the radio!

Thomas
truehl

ozcam

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:33 am

truehl wrote:
ozcam wrote:The DAC used is a C-Media.. I can get audio to play through the DAC by entering this command
Could you please paste the output of the command: /sp/scripts/squeezelite -L

Thomas
Hi..
Here is the output
Output devices:
null - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
sysdefault:CARD=Device - USB PnP Sound Device, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Device - USB PnP Sound Device, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB PnP Sound Device, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB PnP Sound Device, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB PnP Sound Device, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB PnP Sound Device, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB PnP Sound Device, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - USB PnP Sound Device, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
sysdefault:CARD=ALSA - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
front:CARD=ALSA - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device

ikke4

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:21 pm

truehl wrote:
ikke4 wrote:hi,

greetingz
Yes, it can. But you have to downgrade the radio to use the LMS functionality. You can chose the option from the menu of the radio!

Thomas
thanx, i "downgraded" mij radio en installed your latest version of sqeeuzePlug... the only thing that i miss is a forked-daapd server .... for my airplay friends...

keep up the good work....

matteegee

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:05 pm

HifiBerry received and installed. Very very impressed. The SQ is amazing.

Thomas - FYI - When I built v7 of Squeezeplug I updated it to 7.02 and later did a firmware update. After installing the HifiBerry I checked /etc/modules and the new modules were not there:

Code: Select all

root@squeeze-office:~# cat /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
# Parameters can be specified after the module name.

snd-bcm2835
I added the modules manually:

snd_soc_bcm2708
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_pcm5102a
snd_soc_hifiberry_dac
and changed /etc/default/squeezelite :

SLOPTIONS="-n SqLiteOffice -o sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry"
and it works flawlessly!

For those who may be interested I'm using a RasPi Model B 512MB with a HifiBerry DAC attached to a Lepai LP-202A+ T-amp attached to Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 speakers. It's in a small room so the T-amp is more than adequate SPL wise and sounds phenomenal considering the total cost of the system. I highly recommend it as a budget setup.

Matt

wrc

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Firstly I would like to thank you Thomas for a very cool media server. I have a couple of Squeezeboxes and they work flawlessly with LMS on Squeezeplug.

Before I installed Squeezeplug I ran RaspBMC on my pi. I loved the ability to watch movies on the TV upstairs simply through DLNA (or perhaps it's upnp, not sure). Pretty much every file format played flawlessly on my Samsung smart TV.

With Squeezeplug 7 I have installed MiniDLNA to serve media files to the smart TV upstairs but most files do not play. I understand this is a file format limitation of MiniDLNA. I have also pointed LMS to the videos folder and the scan was successful, but again, most file formats do not play on the TV.

I miss the flexibility of being able to watch movies on the upstairs TV so was wondering if I could install RaspBMC on top of Squeezeplug purely for this functionality. Do you know if this would work on the 256MB model?

The other alternative would be to go back to running RaspBMC and install LMS on top of that.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Trixster

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Right, after hours of messing about I cannot get SqueezeLite under squeezeplug 7 to play without crackles and pops. I've tried wired and wireless networking, changing the alsa buffer, updating to the latest firmware, putting in the alsa configs from v5, different versions of squeezelite, different DACs, all to no avail.

For me, squeezeplug 7 just isn't working at the moment, much like v6 never worked with my edimax WLAN dongle. Back to v5 I go.

davsch

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:37 pm

Great project, Thomas! I too am getting crackles and pops that I didn't get with v6. The noise, which sounds like a dirty LP in poor condition, always happens during the first five seconds and last five seconds of each track, whereas the middle of each track is fairly clean. I don't know if it's v7, or if it's the latest version of Squeezelite, since that was also updated at the same time. And I actually did used to have the same problem with v6 while using the onboard audio, but when I bought a small USB DAC (generic, c-media type), it went away. Now it's back.

I notice the settings in /etc/default/squeezelite are a little different. The SLOPTIONS line reads as follows:

v6: SLOPTIONS="-n Raspberry -o front:CARD=Device, DEV=0 "
v7: SLOPTIONS="-n Raspnerry -o front:CARD=Device -a 20:4 "

First thing I tried was changing that line back to the v6 version, but Squeezelite no longer likes that at all. I think I've tried everything suggested on this thread (increase buffer, update firmware, change "front:" to "sysdefault:") and haven't noticed any change at all in the noise. Not sure what else I can try... and considering going back to 6, except 7 did solve one problem I've always had, of my player disconnecting itself when the LMS server (on a Win box, not on the PI) goes to sleep, and having to be restarted to reconnect.

CommanderROR

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Something new for a change... ;)

I've got one Squeezeplug Pi running on WiFi, and the problem is, that once it loses connection (which can happen...) then it won't automatically reconnect. Is there a way to fix this?

It's an Edimax Nano Wifi stick.

Thanks.

Marky89

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:31 pm

I've got Shairport and Squeezelite running on Debian Wheezy, I've got a problem that I can only run one or the other at a time to output sound to my USB DAC, would using Squeezeplug fix this?

wcsuther

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:46 pm

I posted a few pages back about not being able to get shairport and Squeezeslave to work together through my DAC on a fresh install of SqueezePlug 7.0.2. I just realized that the shairport audio is actually coming through HDMI. (I hadn't had it hooked up before..) In fact, I am able to run Squeezeslave and shairport simultaneously, which is interesting, but not all that useful to me. What I am trying to do is to get shairport audio through my DAC. Any thoughts? (I'm basically a Linux hack, but am not afraid of digging into some files to make changes, if someone has an idea of what needs to be changed...)

Thanks in advance..I definitely will be donating once I get it up and running!

-Craig

matteegee

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:33 pm

wcsuther wrote:I posted a few pages back about not being able to get shairport and Squeezeslave to work together through my DAC on a fresh install of SqueezePlug 7.0.2. I just realized that the shairport audio is actually coming through HDMI. (I hadn't had it hooked up before..) In fact, I am able to run Squeezeslave and shairport simultaneously, which is interesting, but not all that useful to me. What I am trying to do is to get shairport audio through my DAC. Any thoughts? (I'm basically a Linux hack, but am not afraid of digging into some files to make changes, if someone has an idea of what needs to be changed...)

Thanks in advance..I definitely will be donating once I get it up and running!

-Craig
Afaik this can not be done. I did try it a while ago and I think the issue is the Squeezeplug components (Squeezelite and Shairport in this case) are using ALSA directly. You need to get it all working through PulseAudio I believe so that ALSA can be shared. Thomas will know more than me on this though. Not sure if anybody has actually managed to get that working.

What I did was to shutdown the Squeeze Player (through my Squeezebox app) whenever I wanted to use Airplay but that became a PITA so I stopped using Airplay.

wcsuther

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:56 pm

I had it working in 6.0.2 with a tweak to /etc/init.d/shairport as described here http://tinyurl.com/kawxbzh:

start() {
echo -n "Starting shairport: "
start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile "$PIDFILE" \
--exec "$DAEMON" -b --oknodo -- $DAEMON_ARGS \
--apname="AirPi" --play_prog="/etc/init.d/squeezeslave stop" \
--stop_prog="/etc/init.d/squeezeslave start"
log_end_msg $?
}
But now when I try the same thing in 6.0.2, not the same result..

truehl

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:39 pm

Trixster wrote:Right, after hours of messing about I cannot get SqueezeLite under squeezeplug 7 to play without crackles and pops. I've tried wired and wireless networking, changing the alsa buffer, updating to the latest firmware, putting in the alsa configs from v5, different versions of squeezelite, different DACs, all to no avail.

For me, squeezeplug 7 just isn't working at the moment, much like v6 never worked with my edimax WLAN dongle. Back to v5 I go.
Hi Trixter, sorry about that, it seems to be a problem with the firmware and some DACs. PiCorePlayer has similar problems! I think we have to wait for an firmware update! I'll do some more tests when I have time to do this and I'll inform you if I've found a solution!

Thomas
truehl

truehl

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:43 pm

davsch wrote:Great project, Thomas! I too am getting crackles and pops that I didn't get with v6. The noise, which sounds like a dirty LP in poor condition, always happens during the first five seconds and last five seconds of each track, whereas the middle of each track is fairly clean. I don't know if it's v7, or if it's the latest version of Squeezelite, since that was also updated at the same time. And I actually did used to have the same problem with v6 while using the onboard audio, but when I bought a small USB DAC (generic, c-media type), it went away. Now it's back.

I notice the settings in /etc/default/squeezelite are a little different. The SLOPTIONS line reads as follows:

v6: SLOPTIONS="-n Raspberry -o front:CARD=Device, DEV=0 "
v7: SLOPTIONS="-n Raspnerry -o front:CARD=Device -a 20:4 "

First thing I tried was changing that line back to the v6 version, but Squeezelite no longer likes that at all. I think I've tried everything suggested on this thread (increase buffer, update firmware, change "front:" to "sysdefault:") and haven't noticed any change at all in the noise. Not sure what else I can try... and considering going back to 6, except 7 did solve one problem I've always had, of my player disconnecting itself when the LMS server (on a Win box, not on the PI) goes to sleep, and having to be restarted to reconnect.
Please see the post above. One more idea I have is to use the Raspbian version I used in version 6 with the new stuff from version 7. Maybe that's worth a try, what do you think?

Thomas
truehl

truehl

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:47 pm

CommanderROR wrote:Something new for a change... ;)

I've got one Squeezeplug Pi running on WiFi, and the problem is, that once it loses connection (which can happen...) then it won't automatically reconnect. Is there a way to fix this?

It's an Edimax Nano Wifi stick.

Thanks.
Because I haven't changed anything with WiFi from the Raspbian version it must be a problem with every Raspbian based device! So I don't know what to change here in SqueezePlug, sorry! I haven't seen that with my installations!

Thomas
truehl

truehl

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Marky89 wrote:I've got Shairport and Squeezelite running on Debian Wheezy, I've got a problem that I can only run one or the other at a time to output sound to my USB DAC, would using Squeezeplug fix this?
I did a test with SqueezeLite and Shairport installed both and that worked form me if I remember it the right way!

Thomas
truehl

Return to “Media centres”