aboomer

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi Thomas,

I installed SqueezePlug Version 7.06 last night with a Wolfson Audio Card. It all went smoothly, so thank you for a great piece of software!

One minor thing that I noticed is that the Wolfson scripts add audio functions without removing previously created functions. For example, running playback to lineout after running playback to headset will result in both being enabled at the same time. It looks like there is another script called "Reset_paths.sh" that is provided to help deal with this. Could this reset script be added to a future version of SqueezePlug?

Thanks,
Alastair

bradypus

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:16 pm

truehl wrote:Today I like to inform you about what's going on with SqueezePlug development:

The lasts weeks I did a lot of testing with new hardware devices. I've tested sound cards and new server platforms. As sound cards I tried to test the HiFiBerry and the Wolfson sound cards. You may ask why "tried". That's because the Wolfson card was defective at arrival and the HiFiBerry got defective after my soldering attempts. I'm not a pro in soldering so maybe I did something stupid.
Thomas,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the sound cards. I've added a HiFiBerry to my Pi running LMS and also installed squeezelite so that it is now a player as well as a server - I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting from it. I wish my coding skills were as good as my soldering ;)

I've also added a wifi adapter and configured it as an access point with a DHCP server so that the whole device can now function, playing music stored on its local drive and controlling it from a tablet (or smartphone or whatever) without any additional network components.

I'd be interested to hear how the HiFiBerry compares to the Wolfson card when you get them working.

Anecdotal history, current status and pictures of my Pi-Fi here:
http://www.ian-nic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/PiFi/

Zster

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:14 pm

I have used the squeezeplug for some time but my experience is that after a couple of days i can't connect to the LMS.
If i reboot the device (by unplugging the power) it works fine again for X days whereafter i have to do it again.

It is connected via Wifi. Both Server and Player are installed on the same Pi.
Is it a DHCP Lease that is my problem or what can it be?

Totalcommitment

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum ( and Linux), so not sure if I'm posting in the correct place. Please bare with me.
I have only started recently using Squeezeplug to stream music from my NAS to AV receiver using the Pi HDMI output. All is well streaming CD 16bit 44.1KHz audio and internet radio using the Squeezelite program after a minor tweak to the ALSA buffer setting. However, I want to take the audio a stage further and stream 24bit audio. I found that I could not do this, despite altering the buffer setting.
I saw a player called PiCorePlayer also based on Squeezelite and I downloaded this to a separate SD card and tried that. I find that this can stream 24bit/96KHz audio without a problem. I guess that the buffer settings and perhaps other elements within the PiCorePlayer are different.
I don't know what or how to change the settings in Squeezeplug to make it stream like PiCorePlayer or even if it's possible.
I note that in Squeezeplug ver 7.05 there is an option to set up PiCorePlayer, but Is there an intention to integrate PicorePlayer within Squeezeplug? Or if not, can anyone help me change my settings in the Squeezeplug Squeezelite player?
Thanks in advance.
Ken.

TheD6Bel

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:45 am

Zster wrote:I have used the squeezeplug for some time but my experience is that after a couple of days i can't connect to the LMS.
If i reboot the device (by unplugging the power) it works fine again for X days whereafter i have to do it again.

It is connected via Wifi. Both Server and Player are installed on the same Pi.
Is it a DHCP Lease that is my problem or what can it be?

hello the best is reboot you rpi every day ;)

nano /etc/crontab
you need add:

45 03 * * * root /sbin/reboot

and every days at 3:45 you rpi reboot :D

Zster

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:06 am

TheD6Bel wrote: hello the best is reboot you rpi every day ;)

nano /etc/crontab
you need add:

45 03 * * * root /sbin/reboot

and every days at 3:45 you rpi reboot :D
That is a very good idea.
Can you maybe help me a little more. I am still a 100% newbie. I found out how to use SSH to control my pi via. network.

I just login and enter "nano /etc/crontab" in the terminal?
And then somewhere in that file i enter exactly what you entered?

My crontab files now looks like this:

Code: Select all

root@sp:~# nano /etc/crontab

GNU nano 2.2.6             File: /etc/crontab                       Modified  

# /etc/crontab: system-wide crontab
# Unlike any other crontab you don't have to run the `crontab'
# command to install the new version when you edit this file
# and files in /etc/cron.d. These files also have username fields,
# that none of the other crontabs do.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# m h dom mon dow user  command
17 *    * * *   root    cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
25 6    * * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --repo$
47 6    * * 7   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --repo$
52 6    1 * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --repo$
45 3    * * *   root    /sbin/reboot
#

TheD6Bel

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:41 pm

Perfect :D

You save and reboot, no more problem ;)

truehl

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Totalcommitment wrote:Hi, I'm new to the forum ( and Linux), so not sure if I'm posting in the correct place. Please bare with me.
I have only started recently using Squeezeplug to stream music from my NAS to AV receiver using the Pi HDMI output. All is well streaming CD 16bit 44.1KHz audio and internet radio using the Squeezelite program after a minor tweak to the ALSA buffer setting. However, I want to take the audio a stage further and stream 24bit audio. I found that I could not do this, despite altering the buffer setting.
I saw a player called PiCorePlayer also based on Squeezelite and I downloaded this to a separate SD card and tried that. I find that this can stream 24bit/96KHz audio without a problem. I guess that the buffer settings and perhaps other elements within the PiCorePlayer are different.
I don't know what or how to change the settings in Squeezeplug to make it stream like PiCorePlayer or even if it's possible.
I note that in Squeezeplug ver 7.05 there is an option to set up PiCorePlayer, but Is there an intention to integrate PicorePlayer within Squeezeplug? Or if not, can anyone help me change my settings in the Squeezeplug Squeezelite player?
Thanks in advance.
Ken.
SqueezePlug and PiCorePlayer both use the same version of SqueezeLite. So if you use the same settings, SqueezeLite should run equal on both platforms. You should find out the settings in PiCorePlayer and edit the SqueezeLite config manually on SqueezePlug.

There will be no real integration of PiCorePlayer in SqueezeLite cause there is nothing to integrate. As I said we both use SqueezeLite. The difference between SqueezePlug and PiCorePlayer is, SqueezePlug is a platform for different servers and players and PiCore is a something like an embedded system or a appliance SqueezeLite player. The advantage of PiCorePlayer is that it's a minimal OS, running complete in RAM and boots very fast. The configuration can be easily done from an awe interface. A combination of SqueezePlug as a server and player and additional PiCorePlayers can make sense. Therefore I've added a function to download PiCorePlayer and burn it directly from SqueezePlug. There will be more improvement in next future!

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Paul Webster

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:04 pm

I recently updated Squeezelite to version 1.6 (to see if I get less lock-ups when playing through USB DAC).
As a result the /etc/init.d/squeezelite script needs a small change.
This is because the server IP address needs a "-s " in front of it.
Easy fix is to put it on the line that generates the command line (not in the /etc/default/squeezelite file).

Regarding the lock-ups - I am running the the latest FIQ handler and do not see errors in dmesg - so not sure what it could be and am simply hoping that with 1.6 it works better....

myxomatosis

Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Thomas,

I installed squeezeplug to my pi and found the wolfson audio card was visible but I decided to reinstalll due to some other problems.
When I re-installed I upgraded the firmware..impulse I guess!

version 971028d3d656de279fcef4f502bc867b8a91cf22 (clean) (release)

Now after re-installing squeezeplug the wolfson is not recognised.
I have the Wolfson card connected to the pi and with the wolfson img it is detected so it is not a physical connection problem.

I assume this has broken your squeezeplug 7.6 update?

truehl

Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:10 am

myxomatosis wrote:Thomas,

I installed squeezeplug to my pi and found the wolfson audio card was visible but I decided to reinstalll due to some other problems.
When I re-installed I upgraded the firmware..impulse I guess!

version 971028d3d656de279fcef4f502bc867b8a91cf22 (clean) (release)

Now after re-installing squeezeplug the wolfson is not recognised.
I have the Wolfson card connected to the pi and with the wolfson img it is detected so it is not a physical connection problem.

I assume this has broken your squeezeplug 7.6 update?
The installation of the Wolfson Card changes the kernel to an older version. So if you update the firmware after the Wolfson installation a new kernel without the Wolfson patches will be installed. You have to install the Wolfson patch again! SqueezePlug gives you a hint during the installation!

I hope the Wolfson kernel patches will be integrated in the official kernel soon, so we don't have this problem anymore.

Thomas
truehl

truehl

SqueezePlug Version 7.07 released

Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:40 pm

SqueezePlug Version 7.07 released:

Minor patch from 30.03.2014
HiFiBerry Digital Soundcard support added and more

Changelog:
- squeezelite.sh add HiFiBerry digital support and more improvements
- squeezelite new SqueezeLite Version 1.6
- picoreplayer.sh new download link (directly to Steens site)
- newconfig.cfg config file for piCorePlayer to edit from SqueezePlug

Please update your SqueezePlug from the setup menu: Type "setup" from the console and choose <Basic Configuration> and then <Update_SP>.
truehl

Totalcommitment

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your reply regarding PiCorePlayer settings. I did as you suggested and manually copied the settings. Internet radio, 16bit/44 and 24bit up to 192KHz play to my AVR via HDMI. Excellent. However, on closer listening and a bit of research, I have found that the RPI output appears to be downsampling to 16bit/48. I think this may be a limitation in the ALSA code. Is it possible for it to be modified to handle 24bit 192KHz or is that asking a bit too much of the RPI?
Cheers,
Ken.

truehl

Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:08 pm

Totalcommitment wrote:Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your reply regarding PiCorePlayer settings. I did as you suggested and manually copied the settings. Internet radio, 16bit/44 and 24bit up to 192KHz play to my AVR via HDMI. Excellent. However, on closer listening and a bit of research, I have found that the RPI output appears to be downsampling to 16bit/48. I think this may be a limitation in the ALSA code. Is it possible for it to be modified to handle 24bit 192KHz or is that asking a bit too much of the RPI?
Cheers,
Ken.
You said before, that PiCorePlayer runs with 24Bit. PiCorePlayer and SqueezePlug both uses SqueezeLite as player. So there should be no difference. Do you have a DAC attached, that supports 24Bit?

Thomas
truehl

sbp

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:27 pm

Totalcommitment wrote:Hi Thomas,
Cheers,
Ken.
Hi. It is correct that raspberry will downsample everything to 48kHz through the HDMI.
piCorePlayer was previously able to stream up to 192kHz via HDMI (piCorePlayer1.06 was the last version able to do that). I had to change some settings in the HDMI sound module before compiling the module - but somehow this is not working anymore.
So despite my changes to the module later piCorePlayer versions are also unable to stream more that 48 kHz via HDMI.

If it is important for you - then stick to piCorePlayer version 1.06.

You could also go to the github and ask if it would be possible to allow for higher streaming through the HDMI:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/494
and possible here as well, where the possibility to passthrough DTS audio via HDMI is discussed:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/528

/Steen
piCorePlayer webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

truehl

SqueezePlug goes audiophile

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:00 am

Hi folks,
I'm very happy to inform you, that the last showstopper for SqueezePlug, the bad sound out of the Raspberry Pi and the problems with some USB DAC now belongs to the past. There are sound cards available for the Raspberry Pi, which makes SqueezePlug a really good sound device with support for up to 192 KHz/24 Bit audio files. The sound is amazing, without any pops or cracks!

The now available two soundcards are fully supported with SqueezePlug now!

I would highly recommend one of this cards, if you like to get a good sound out of your Raspberry Pi. To help you with a decision I've listed my pros and cons for the two devices. There may be other points, that's my subjective experience. For me there is no real winner, decide your self:

Wolfson Card
= Price about 40 €
= 192 KHz/24 Bit
+ no soldering required
+ Case available
- Patched kernel needed
+ World wide shipping without extra toll
+ Multiple In - and Output options
= SqueezePlug supported
- piCorePlayer not supported

HiFiBerry
= Price about 40 €
= 192 KHz/24 Bit
- soldering required
- no Case available
+ no Patched kernel needed
- shipping from Swiss with extra toll
- no Input options
= SqueezePlug supported
= piCorePlayer supported

The HiFiBerry card comes in two versions, analogue and digital. The digital version has an optical and an koax output connector. At the analogue version you can choose between RCA or headphone connector.

The Wolfson card comes with various output connectors, analogue and digital. Analogue output is a headphone adaptor, digital is a koax output connector. There are also input connectors, I don't think you can use them with SqueezePlug.

All in all, there are pros and cons for each Card.

The main pro for the HiFiBerry cards is that you don't need a special kernel, it runs out of the box. Only some modules have to be loaded and on the digital card a blacklisted driver has to be commented out. The con is, that shipping of this card is probably not so easy, depends on the country to ship to. e.g. to Germany it took 2 Weeks.

The main pro for the Wolfson card is the world wide an very quick shipping. Shipping for this card is easy, no toll, and no special tax in the EU. e.G. Farnell shipping from England to Germany last only 18 hours! Meantime it's also possible to order this card at Amazon Germany. The con for this card, that you will need a patched kernel. This is already included in SqueezePlug. There is also an announcement of Wolfson, that drivers will be included in Raspbian soon.

So make up your mind and order a card!

Thomas
truehl

BruTTus83

Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:58 am

Hi!

First it all, thanks for your amazing job. Now the problem :P, I don't know why after finished a clean installation with fs expanded and all tools upgraded I can't start squeezelite automaticly at boot, simply doesn't start but if I get into the command line and put "squeezelite" all start to work!, anyone knows what could it be?

Thanks in advance.

++++update 1++++
When I started squeezelite manualy the music its a little choppy even if I configure the buffer option on "500"

++++update 2++++
If I install squeezeslave, starts at boot OK, music is not choppy but I noticed that Spotify plugin seems not work.

truehl

Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:10 am

BruTTus83 wrote:Hi!

First it all, thanks for your amazing job. Now the problem :P, I don't know why after finished a clean installation with fs expanded and all tools upgraded I can't start squeezelite automaticly at boot, simply doesn't start but if I get into the command line and put "squeezelite" all start to work!, anyone knows what could it be?

Thanks in advance.

++++update 1++++
When I started squeezelite manualy the music its a little choppy even if I configure the buffer option on "500"

++++update 2++++
If I install squeezeslave, starts at boot OK, music is not choppy but I noticed that Spotify plugin seems not work.
Do you use the internal output or do you use a soundcard or a DAC? What is the last line of /etc/defaults/squeezelite ?

Thomas
truehl

BruTTus83

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:22 pm

I'm using an external DAC - PCM2704 and I not have any squeezelite file

root@squeezeplug:~# cat /etc/defaults/squeezelite
cat: /etc/defaults/squeezelite: No such file or directory

You know what? I noticed that I was choosing the incorrect output during the squeezelite instalation, so now I choose PCM2704 output and now Squeezelite starts automaticly but still not see any file at "etc/defaults/squeezelite"

Thanks for your help and patience.

mantekka

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:48 am

Hi, I just got wolfson audio card :)
I already had squeezeplug up to latest version, and added the wolfson card now.
The pi doesn't seem to be detecting it. And I ran update of squeezeplug just to make sure i'm on latest version which it confirmed.
How can I check that the patched kernel is there?
When I check audio devices:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****                        │
                         │ card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA] │
                         │   Subdevices: 8/8                                                  │
                         │   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #1: subdevice #1                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #2: subdevice #2                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #3: subdevice #3                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #4: subdevice #4                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #5: subdevice #5                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #6: subdevice #6                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #7: subdevice #7   
Thanks

truehl

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:31 pm

mantekka wrote:Hi, I just got wolfson audio card :)
I already had squeezeplug up to latest version, and added the wolfson card now.
The pi doesn't seem to be detecting it. And I ran update of squeezeplug just to make sure i'm on latest version which it confirmed.
How can I check that the patched kernel is there?
When I check audio devices:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****                        │
                         │ card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA] │
                         │   Subdevices: 8/8                                                  │
                         │   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #1: subdevice #1                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #2: subdevice #2                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #3: subdevice #3                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #4: subdevice #4                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #5: subdevice #5                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #6: subdevice #6                                       │
                         │   Subdevice #7: subdevice #7   
Thanks
type:
uname -a

the Pi should give you:
root@squeezeplug:~# uname -a
Linux squeezeplug 3.10.25+ #4 PREEMPT Tue Mar 11 17:35:23 CET 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

Then you have installed the right kernel!

Otherwise you will get:
Linux squeezeplug 3.10.34+ #661 PREEMPT Thu Mar 27 00:36:02 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

Thomas
truehl

truehl

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:34 pm

BruTTus83 wrote:I'm using an external DAC - PCM2704 and I not have any squeezelite file

root@squeezeplug:~# cat /etc/defaults/squeezelite
cat: /etc/defaults/squeezelite: No such file or directory

You know what? I noticed that I was choosing the incorrect output during the squeezelite instalation, so now I choose PCM2704 output and now Squeezelite starts automaticly but still not see any file at "etc/defaults/squeezelite"

Thanks for your help and patience.
Sorry it should be:
cat /etc/default/squeezelite

Thomas
truehl

truehl

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi folks,
I've updated the SqueezePlug image to version 7.07. You will now be able to download the fully patched version 7.07. All patches are now included so that you don't have to start a long lasting patch process if you start from scratch.

If you have started with version 7.00 and you have installed the latest patch, there is no need to do anything. You are already up to date then!

Thomas
truehl

mantekka

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:43 pm

truehl wrote: uname -a

the Pi should give you:
Linux squeezeplug 3.10.25+ #4 PREEMPT Tue Mar 11 17:35:23 CET 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

Otherwise you will get:
Linux squeezeplug 3.10.34+ #661 PREEMPT Thu Mar 27 00:36:02 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

Thomas
edit: ok found that if I uninstall and reinstall squeezelite I see the menu for configuring squeezeplug for wolfson. This takes me back to the right version.
But when I boot up now, I notice errors

failed to execute /home/pi/init-wolfsonpi.sh
and when I check /home/pi that script doesn't exist. I imagine it's important?!

I also tried a fresh SD image of latest squeezeplug and did the same, getting same result.

truehl

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:28 pm

mantekka wrote:
truehl wrote: uname -a

the Pi should give you:

Otherwise you will get:

Thomas
edit: ok found that if I uninstall and reinstall squeezelite I see the menu for configuring squeezeplug for wolfson. This takes me back to the right version.
But when I boot up now, I notice errors

failed to execute /home/pi/init-wolfsonpi.sh
and when I check /home/pi that script doesn't exist. I imagine it's important?!

I also tried a fresh SD image of latest squeezeplug and did the same, getting same result.
Everything is o.k. The scripts are located somewhere else, forget the message. You have to activate the Wolfson card from the player menu!

Thomas
truehl

Return to “Media centres”