Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:00 pm

SqueezePlug Version 7.05 released:

Minor patch from 16.03.2014
piCorePlayer preparation functionality added

Changelog:
- picoreplayer.sh add an option to prepare the piCorePlayer installation
- player_menu.sh add an entry for piCorePlayer
- squeezelite.sh add an option for new versions of C-Media USB Sound Cards

Please update your SqueezePlug from the setup menu: Type "setup" from the console and choose <Basic Configuration> and then <Update_SP>.
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

DStu

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Thomas,
I'm having an issue with SqueezePlug running on wifi.
Ordinarily everything works great, but if the connection is dropped between SqueezePlug and my router, the SqueezePlug will not pick it up again.

My router reboots itself if it doesn't have a live internet connection, so this can happen quite often. And it means I cannot log on to the Raspi at all, and have to resort to a hard reboot :cry:

Is there a setting I'm overlooking? Or will SqueezePlug really only look for a wifi network at boot?

Thanks

truehl

Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:04 pm

DStu wrote:Thomas,
I'm having an issue with SqueezePlug running on wifi.
Ordinarily everything works great, but if the connection is dropped between SqueezePlug and my router, the SqueezePlug will not pick it up again.

My router reboots itself if it doesn't have a live internet connection, so this can happen quite often. And it means I cannot log on to the Raspi at all, and have to resort to a hard reboot :cry:

Is there a setting I'm overlooking? Or will SqueezePlug really only look for a wifi network at boot?

Thanks
Hm, sounds strange, why does your router cut the internal connection? That can not be an specific problem of SqueezePlug, cause I'm using the "normal" Raspbian WiFi setup. To be sure you could try if a "normal" Raspbian shows the same behaviour!

Thomas
truehl

sbp

Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi thomas, great that you include picoreplayer as an option, i haven't tried it, as im away from home.
Therefore, we have missed our Skype conversation.
Steen
piCorePlayer webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

DStu

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:08 pm

truehl wrote: why does your router cut the internal connection?
Oh don't ask! Sometimes it just drops the broadband connection, and the only solution I've come to is to reboot the router. I've battled with it many times to try and figure out the issue. In the end, the reboot script has largely solved it, and I often don't notice the short downtime.
truehl wrote: I'm using the "normal" Raspbian WiFi setup
Thanks! You reminded me...I'd had issues in the past setting up Wifi through Raspbian command line, and had to resort to the doing it in the GUI.
Lo and behold, if I revert back to the "Default" network settings in SqueezePlug, then enter startx and set up Wifi from the GUI it works and has no problems reconnecting itself either.

This also solved the one (minor) gripe I had with the SqueezePlug network settings also, in that you could only select wifi OR Lan. It did make switching between the two a bit cumbersome. But it now accepts both at the same time.
But to be honest, I don't know if that was just my own problem due to my Wifi dongle or something? Either way, not a criticism just pointing it out. Love your work! :D

truehl

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Today I like to inform you about what's going on with SqueezePlug development:

The lasts weeks I did a lot of testing with new hardware devices. I've tested sound cards and new server platforms. As sound cards I tried to test the HiFiBerry and the Wolfson sound cards. You may ask why "tried". That's because the Wolfson card was defective at arrival and the HiFiBerry got defective after my soldering attempts. I'm not a pro in soldering so maybe I did something stupid. Both devices will go back to the store and I hope I'll get a replacement soon. Then testing will go on. I'll inform you. As new server devices I'm still testing with Wandboard and Odroid. Both device are looking very promising and I got LMS and SqueeszeLite working on both devices. The devices have a lot of power for LMS and I saw some massive performance improvements. I think I like the Odroid more, it's less expensive , but you still have to order in Korea! Shipping works, but you will pay tax. The next time I'll try to get SqueezePlug running on Odroid, but it will last a while.

I hope you will get more information soon.

Thomas
truehl

CommanderROR

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:59 am

Thanks for your hard work!

The HifiBerry cards are great, I can only recommend them! Soldering is not that easy, but it's manageable. I'm looking forward to using the HifiBerry Digi when I can get my hands on one. The normal HifiBerry works fine with Squeezeplug.
Using the Odroid as a Server might be a neat idea, I'm not sure how it's sound quality compares to the Pi though. I have one (Odroid X2) lying here, but don't really know what to do with it because the Software development is a lot less active than on the Pi.

Can you elaborate a bit what the PiCorePlayer implementation is all about? I'm using Squeezeplug as Server and 2 PicorePlayers as Clients, but I don't really understand how you would combine the two on one Pi???

Murlock7

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Hello,

First of all : great work on squeezeplug. I used to have the version 6 and it works great with squeezeslave even with the 3.5 audio output of the raspberry. A couple days ago I see your new release so I have tried to install squeezelite.

Everything works fine but I have some synchronization problems (i have a server and player on my computer) i tried to change the buffer size but the sound went awful (even if i come back on the default values). so I have installed the squeezeslave player but I still have this synchronization problems...

I see you have tested a lot of soundcard, could you recommend me one of them which works fine (cheap and on USB) that I could use with squeezelite without sync issues?

Thanks

wouterel

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Thomas,

Great work indeed. I used your scripts to learn how to configure my current LMS+squeezelite setup that uses a HifiBerry for output (and used the full squeezeplug for my previous setup which had a Behringer UCA-202).
In my experience they HifiBerry works great. It seems to have better signal to noise than the Behringer, which I already liked a lot and is incredible value for money.

One thing you may want to look at is the following that I discovered last week: Hi Res flac files didn't play properly on this setup. It sounded as if fast forwarding through a cd. Not sure if the problem is essentially due to alsa, to squeezelite or to hifiberry, but I found that reducing my squeezelite alsa output buffer settings from 400:4 to 100:4 got rid of it. In fact I'm now using 100:4:24 for the -a option of squeezelite and everything sounds perfect. Experimenting a bit could probably narrow down the cause but I haven't found the time for it yet.

-Wouter

castalla

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:16 pm

@truehl

having real problems trying to set up a media libray link to a Apple time capsule drive ....

Got it working using a mount command but fstab equivalent command doesn't work

Can you tell me where the setup media library entries are saved - in fstab or elsewhere?

truehl

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:14 am

castalla wrote:@truehl

having real problems trying to set up a media libray link to a Apple time capsule drive ....

Can you tell me where the setup media library entries are saved - in fstab or elsewhere?
Hi castalla,
I saw "your" thread in the LMS forum! The only place we store the media storage information is fstab. I have no idea, why it works from the console and not from fstab. Thanks a lot for helping the guy out with his problem and I hope you will find the solution soon. I never thought it could be such difficult to get mounting to work! Maybe my setup script for mounting the media lib needs an improvement. I think you are now a professional in mounting and maybe we could work together in making my script more intuitive?! There is only one problem left: The SqueezePlug thread in the LMS forum is now unusable. Maybe it's an idea to solve such individual problems in an other way?! :D

I would be happy, if we could take a look at improving the script together!

Thomas
truehl

truehl

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:25 am

CommanderROR wrote:Can you elaborate a bit what the PiCorePlayer implementation is all about? I'm using Squeezeplug as Server and 2 PicorePlayers as Clients, but I don't really understand how you would combine the two on one Pi???
It's not a real integration. The function is to download piCorePlayer from SqueezePlug, burn the image from here and publish the image in a SAMBA share for further burning from a Windows PC. I will work together with Steen on further improvements. It should be possible to store different configurations for different players (e.g. Living room, kitchen ...) on SqueezePlug to burn images later if they get defective.

Thomas
truehl

castalla

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:38 pm

truehl wrote:
castalla wrote:@truehl

Hi castalla,
I saw "your" thread in the LMS forum! The only place we store the media storage information is fstab. I have no idea, why it works from the console and not from fstab. Thanks a lot for helping the guy out with his problem and I hope you will find the solution soon. I never thought it could be such difficult to get mounting to work! Maybe my setup script for mounting the media lib needs an improvement. I think you are now a professional in mounting and maybe we could work together in making my script more intuitive?! There is only one problem left: The SqueezePlug thread in the LMS forum is now unusable. Maybe it's an idea to solve such individual problems in an other way?! :D

I would be happy, if we could take a look at improving the script together!

Thomas
@Thomas

Thanks I'm baffled too!

Will try to find a solution ... I agree that the thread has become too big and confused - I'll switch to a new thread to continue.

castalla

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:15 pm

@Truehl

Unbaffled! Was a simple error - OP edited the wrong file!

TheD6Bel

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Hello, now a use my S4 for stream music to squeezeslave and it's work fine

but i search a solution to stream music from my pc (with vlc or other) to squeezeslave, do you know who make that?

thanks ;)

truehl

SqueezePlug Version 7.06 released

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:32 pm

SqueezePlug Version 7.06 released:

Minor patch from 23.03.2014
Wolfson Soundcard support added

Changelog:
- squeezelite.sh add support for the Wolfson Soundcard
- wolfson-kernel-140311.tgz patched kernel to support the Wolfson Soundcard
- wolfson-udev-140311.tgz patched UDEV-Rules to support the Wolfson Soundcard

Please update your SqueezePlug from the setup menu: Type "setup" from the console and choose <Basic Configuration> and then <Update_SP>.
truehl

CommanderROR

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks for the new version!

Btw...could you perhaps work with Steen and help him build an update script into PiCorePlayer? I have several around the house, and updating them by hand and then redoing all the settings is a pretty annoying hassle. An update mechanism like on Squeezeplug would be really appreciated. I know that steens said he doesn't know how to implement it....just a suggestion...

Argon

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:51 pm

If I try to update I receive an error like:
I seems you don't have a working internet connection or .... Squeezeplug.de is unreachable

If I ping to squeezeplug.de then this works. An error in the script or ... ?

Edit: Tried to expand my root fs:
It seems that your root-device is not stored on /dev/mmcblk0. Automatic expansion is only possible if you stored the root-filesystem....

What's wrong in here ? :-)

truehl

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:00 pm

Argon wrote:If I try to update I receive an error like:
I seems you don't have a working internet connection or .... Squeezeplug.de is unreachable

If I ping to squeezeplug.de then this works. An error in the script or ... ?

Edit: Tried to expand my root fs:
It seems that your root-device is not stored on /dev/mmcblk0. Automatic expansion is only possible if you stored the root-filesystem....

What's wrong in here ? :-)
Hm, strange, from which version did you update?

Thomas
truehl

Argon

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Hello,

I downloaded your 7.0 image from squeezeplug.de and used win32diskimager to write the image to the SD card.
Then I booted the image on the Raspberry Pi and entered "setup". If I click on update SP I receive that error.

Edit: Write again the image to the SD card, same problem.

truehl

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Argon wrote:Hello,

I downloaded your 7.0 image from squeezeplug.de and used win32diskimager to write the image to the SD card.
Then I booted the image on the Raspberry Pi and entered "setup". If I click on update SP I receive that error.

Edit: Write again the image to the SD card, same problem.
You said you've entered setup! Did you do it manually? The update process starts directly, without entering setup manually on a fresh image. Did you connect from SSH? Did you logon as root?

Thomas
truehl

Argon

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:34 am

Yes, I did it manually because it doesn't open when I'm logged in to the SSH console.
I logged in as the user "Pi" "raspberry". Is that a problem?

castalla

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58 am

Argon wrote:Yes, I did it manually because it doesn't open when I'm logged in to the SSH console.
Yes! It's root + nosoup4u

truehl

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:21 am

castalla wrote:
Argon wrote:Yes, I did it manually because it doesn't open when I'm logged in to the SSH console.
Yes! It's root + nosoup4u
Castalla, yes, you are right, that what I thought it might be the problem!

Thanks,
Thomas
truehl

Argon

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Perfect! Works now :-)

Return to “Media centres”