truehl

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi Folks,
I'm still troubleshooting the soundproblems with the Raspberry Pi and I think I've found the reason for ugly sounds coming out of the headphone jack of the Pi. I tried a lot of different power supplies and found some without causing soundproblems and other causing ugly sounds coming out of the Pi. As far as I can see, it has nothing to do with the amount of power coming out of the supply. Some works others don't.

Maybe you can try it yourselves and give back some feedback about working supplies and non working!

For me the RS-Online supply coming with the Pi is working without any ugly noise. It has 1200 mA. Here the link: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-i...upply/7263053/

Please try and tell me your results.

Thanks a lot,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

ikke4

Forked-daapd

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi,

i'm new to squeezeplug and installed version 7 a couple of weeks ago.. before that i had forked-daapd running on raspbian because i've some apple Airport Express in the house connected to my stereo.

so installed forked-daapd http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=49928 on Squeezeplug and it kind of worked the first time... but after a update/upgrade it stopped.. i'm not a linux goeroe so who else has this combination and can help me....

grt ikke

Eradicatore

Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi,
I'm having an awful time with crackling audio (pops and clicks). I just tried this rpi-update, did a reboot, and reinstalled squeezelite but still have the issue. My setup is:

- rev B RPI setup with wifi usb dongle
- 1amp charger (Kodak K20)
- Behringer UCA202
- Sonic Impact 5066 15-Watt Portable Class-T Digital Audio Amplifier (amazon)
(I've also tried the Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset but results are the same)
- squeezecommander app on android phone

I've been debugging the issue and this is what I've found so far:
* audio pops and clicks only happen when squeezelite squeezebox is in the "ON" state
* audio pops and clicks happen randomly but frequently
* There is a small burst of noice each time a song is started or stopped
* I play both mp3 and spotify music and it happens on all of them
* I tried play a wav file and it's clean (other than the start and stop pop presumably from amps in usb dongle turning on and off?), using "aplay --device=front:CARD=CODEC piano2.wav"
* I've tried as I said above two different usb audio adapters and both have the issue.
* I've looked at the logs using "-d all=debug" with squeezelite and I can't see any major issues
* I've tried "-a 160" and "-a 300" on squeezelite and absolutely no difference
* I just tried this rpi-update and still no imrprovement
* the pops and clicks happen EVEN when not playing music on squeezelite, but as mentioned above the squeezelite SB is in the "ON" position.

I'm running out of ideas, but I would really like this to work. Does anyone recommend trying a USB DAC like this?

http://www.amazon.com/PCM2704-Optical-C ... B0093KZTEA

Why would that be different than a usb audio card? To me it seems like the pops/clicks come from the squeezelite software itself since aplay of a wav file seemed much more clean during playback.

Just to be clear, the pops and clicks are not all the time. They are just enough to be annoying and especially since they happen when not even playing music but the squeezelite SB is "ON" as mentioned above.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. I saw the hifiberry but wish to avoid that cost and shipping time.

UPDATE: I tried using an ipad usb charger, in case it was noise from the charger. That didn't improve things either. I also noticed that I can get the audio crackling to happen pretty regularly any time I hit next song on playing my own mp3 files, just FYI.

Justin

The actual update status of your Raspberry Pi is:
│ -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
│ Kernel Version:
│ Linux MasterBedRoomRpi 3.10.32+ #648 PREEMPT Fri Feb 28 16:29:56 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
│ -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
│ Firmware Version:
│ Feb 28 2014 16:40:49
│ Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
│ version a9ba6435869933cdfd1ad5631b6b9a97affd8806 (clean) (release)

jrgarrett

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:45 am

gabevr wrote:Does anyone know how to change the audio output of Shairport? I'm using a UCA202 DAC and squeezeslave works great through it but Shairport is still going through the analog out. I've changed the alsa sound card to usb and I've looked through what I think is the config file in /etc/init.d/shairport, but I'm just not sure what settings to change if any.

Any help is much appreciated!
Had this same problem (am using Squeezelite rather than Squeezeslave). Instructions are here:
http://drewlustro.com/hi-fi-audio-via-a ... spberry-pi

asound.conf was set for ALSA. When I changed it to my USB device identifier (in my case "DAC") Shairport output to the usb DAC. Hope this helps.

truehl

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:48 pm

SqueezePlug Version 7.03 released:

Minor patch from 03.03.2014

Changelog:
- squeezelite.sh Fix for using LMS-Server if located on different device
- rpi-config.txt New rpi-config file with lots of new settings
- Firmware update Firmware update to resolve some sound problems

Please update your SqueezePlug from the setup menu: Type "setup" from the console and choose <Basic Configuration> and then <Update_SP>.

Thomas
truehl

CommanderROR

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanks for the Update.

I've been having strange issues with my Squeezeplug Pi over the last 7-10 Days.

While it used to run fine and never crashed or hung, it now dies about once a day. I already set it up again from scratch, but that did not help. The Pi appears to be running fine, all the lights are on, and if I unplug the network cable the lights go off and the back on when I plug the ethernet back. So it's still partially alive.
However, despite my Router claiming that the Pi is still attached to the network, I can't SSH into it.

The only way to revive it is to pull the power. I have not found anything interesting in the Squeezebox Logs so far, it suddenly starts to pop out messages that it can't communicate with Players...

Any ideas? The only changes are updates to the Spotify Plugin and maybe some minor changes in the Settings for Last.fm and smart mix plugins.

alex_rasp

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:32 am

Hi Thomas,

thanks of all thank you for the great work you did on your SqueezePlug project - it's simply magic!

After fiddling around a long time with my Dreamplug as a Linux newbie I finally got it running Squeezeboxserver as AccessPoint - ready to go for travelling with my own local plug-and-play mediaserver.
When I found your solution which is so much more with a device even smaller! USB DAC support out-of-the box and so much more.. Unfortunately the AP functionality is no longer in .(

I could think that most of us longing for AP functionality in SqueezePlug would be fine if you'd support the standard Wifi dongle(s) such as e.g. the Edimax EW-7811UN.

Having a possibility to easily switch between Wifi and AP mode with your setup UI would be the most user-friendly approach I can think of.

Keep up your great work!

Best regards,
Alex

ikke4

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:41 pm

hi Thomas,

is it possible to get forked-daapd back in the squeezeplug.

i installed forked-daapd over your squeezeplug.. and after a update it's not working anymore.. and i'm no linux goeroe

thanx

ikke

DStu

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi guys,
Just wanted to share some recent experience/issues/solutions with SqueezePlug. I did notice some others were having similar issues.
I installed this purely for the dual ShairPort and SqueezeLite functionality. To be used with my C-Media USB audio card.

First of all, after installing SqueezeLite and selecting the C-Media as output: I was getting nothing. I soon realised SqueezeLite wasn't actually running, nor could I get it run. Neither with a reboot, or a manual sudo service squeezelite start. sudo service squeezelite status kept showing fail.
I eventually fixed this by uninstalling, and re-installing SqueezeLite, BUT selecting the default Raspi audio output. I then changed the audio output manually in /etc/default/squeezelite
Where it was:

Code: Select all

SLOPTIONS=“-n NameOfPlayer -o sysdefault:CARD=ALSA "
Changed to:

SLOPTIONS=“-n NameOfPlayer -o front:CARD=Set "
Secondly, I was also having difficulties getting ShairPort to play out of the USB C-Media (it was playing out of the poor Raspi headphone port instead).
@jrgarrett earlier post helped me out with this one. (Thanks)
I amended /etc/asound.conf
Where it was:

pcm.!default front:ALSA
Changed to:

pcm.!default front:Set
Now I have SqueezeLite and ShairPort happily running side by side on one Raspi :D
They will even output different streams at the same time (not that that's really of any use!)

Thanks to the devs, and I hope this helps someone else.
Please note: Your audio device may be named different to mine ("Set"), run aplay -L to find it

monkmandolins

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:04 am

That fixed my audio output. I am grateful. You guys are amazing!

bobbydriver

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:45 am

Thanks for the tip on the latest update Thomas. I will try that later today.

As I mentioned in my earlier post I have been looking at the database performance on the PI, and seen a few suggestions that I could look at. However, I thought it might be worth asking Thomas first if he has ever considered these. If he has already tried and failed then there is no point me trying!

1) Some suggestions that the newer versions of SQLite have better performance. I know this is bundled with LMS but should not be hard to upgrade separately? Current 3.7.7.1 and the latest version is 3.8.3.1

2) Some suggestions that putting the LMS db on to a mounted RAM disk rather than on the SD Card is quicker. I guess this is down to space. My db might fit in RAM - others with larger dbs might not.

truehl

SqueezePlug Version 7.04 released

Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:32 pm

SqueezePlug Version 7.04 released:

Minor patch from 09.03.2014
AccessPoint functionality added

Changelog:
- adv_menu.sh Menu entry added for Access-Point functionality
- ap.default Default Configuration for the Access Point
- ap.sh Script for the Access Point installation functionality added
- hostapd.conf.default Default Configuration for the Access Point
- udhcpd.conf.default Default Configuration for the DHCP-Server

Please update your SqueezePlug from the setup menu: Type "setup" from the console and choose <Basic Configuration> and then <Update_SP>.
truehl

Trixster

Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:09 pm

Version 704 and the latest firmware updates with the FIQ patch enabled still do not fix the clicking and popping issues with SqueezeLite and pcm2704 usb DACs. Annoying.

truehl

Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:17 pm

Trixster wrote:Version 704 and the latest firmware updates with the FIQ patch enabled still do not fix the clicking and popping issues with SqueezeLite and pcm2704 usb DACs. Annoying.
Sorry for that, my experiences with the new firmware and a compatible power supply are great! I don't have any issues. Did you try the PiCorePlayer? It would be interesting if this works for you!

Thomas
truehl

TheD6Bel

Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:16 pm

Hello,

I managed to do a command line to a script and be able to control the volume with the buttons. But the command reacts too slowly.

echo "b8:27:eb:53:6f:47 mixer volume +5" | nc -i 1 127.0.0.1 9090

this command takes more than 3 seconds, which is really too long for control, is that there is no other solution without using telnet command?

thanks ;)

Trixster

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:45 pm

Ok, making the pi run usb at 1.1 speed by adding dwc_otg.speed=1 to the start of cmdline.txt completely fixes the clicking and popping issue. Success.

DStu

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:15 pm

It also kills your wifi speed - if you're using a dongle. It's not really ideal.

I'd suggest getting another DAC. The cheapo eBay ones work, but I had to try out a few

Trixster

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:27 pm

The pi I'm using for SqueezeLite isn't used for anything else, so as long as audio streamed off my NAS via the edimax wifi dongle (including flacs) plays without any clicks or pops (which it now does with usb capped to 1.1) then I'm happy. I wouldn't recommend 1.1 on a pi which isn't dedicated to audio playback.

truehl

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:57 am

Trixster wrote:The pi I'm using for SqueezeLite isn't used for anything else, so as long as audio streamed off my NAS via the edimax wifi dongle (including flacs) plays without any clicks or pops (which it now does with usb capped to 1.1) then I'm happy. I wouldn't recommend 1.1 on a pi which isn't dedicated to audio playback.
Could you try to update the firmware to the "actual beta version" by typing "BRANCH=next rpi-update". It would be interesting, if this works for you instead of the USB "downgrade" which causes large performance issues. There is a god chance that the USB issues disappear with this new firmware. With this firmware the faulty USB driver is completely rewritten! Please report back here!

Thomas
truehl

Trixster

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:52 am

Hi Thomas,

That seems to have worked! I removed dwc_otg.speed=1 from cmdline.txt, applied the BRANCH=next rpi-update firmware upgrade and rebooted. Now SqueezeLite plays with zero audio artifacts. This is with no change to the default alsa buffer too. Great stuff!

gabevr

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Trying beta firmware version now. Hopefully it fixes my audio issues as well because yeah it's unusable at the moment.

UPDATE: So I tried updating Squeezeplug to newest version and the r-pi firmware to the beta with no luck. I had terrible continuos crackling and popping. I was running the UCA202 DAC and Edimax wifi adapter of the r-pi's usb ports and thought that it might be a lack of power issue. Low and behold, I plug a powered USB adapter in and connect the DAC and wifi adapter and everything works fine.

Atrejoe

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:44 am

Great work on squeezeplug, just made a (small) donation.

Is there a forum where I can ask specific questions?
I have two:
  • Is is possible to get Squeezeplug working with a TP-LINK TL-WN725N? (mine reboots after activating the Wifi an d doesn't register itself, but does shut off Ethernet, rendering itself inaccesible without a physical keyboard)
  • Are there any DACs recommended?

truehl

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Atrejoe wrote:Great work on squeezeplug, just made a (small) donation.

Is there a forum where I can ask specific questions?
I have two:
  • Is is possible to get Squeezeplug working with a TP-LINK TL-WN725N? (mine reboots after activating the Wifi an d doesn't register itself, but does shut off Ethernet, rendering itself inaccesible without a physical keyboard)
  • Are there any DACs recommended?
SqueezePlug work with every WiFi stick, running with Raspbian! I don't know, whether this stick will run, you should google for this stick and Raspbian. There are a lot of DACs running, I would take a look at HiFiBerry!

Thomas
truehl

SirToby

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:01 am

First of all: Thanks for Squeezeplug, mine are working fine - one as a portable Server for the SB-Radios (but without your AP-functionality Thomas, handmade by me....) and another in the living room as Receiver.
But I had several Problems getting squeezelite started on that one - I'm using a PCM2704-DAC.
Using the scripts out of the box - no Sound. And with editing the Squeezelite-script - no Sound, just only failures. But started on the command-line with some switches (squeezelite -n ... -o iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 and some others) squeezelite runs very well - and Sound over SPDIF. Fine!!
So don't kill me - I started that one in rc.local. Not nice, but helpful.... :D
Today I wanted to get shairport working as well - and the next Problem... how can I enter the DAC in asound.conf? Shairport is starting, but with starting the stream it's shutting down with different failures. Never ever made it to get a Sound to the DAC with shairport. Does anybody know a solution?
Thanks a lot
Tobias

DStu

Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:05 am

SirToby wrote:how can I enter the DAC in asound.conf?
Take a look at my post above. Edit the line "pcm.!default front:ALSA". Replacing ALSA with your DAC name.
truehl wrote:Could you try to update the firmware to the "actual beta version" by typing "BRANCH=next rpi-update". It would be interesting, if this works for you instead of the USB "downgrade" which causes large performance issues. There is a god chance that the USB issues disappear with this new firmware. With this firmware the faulty USB driver is completely rewritten! Please report back here!
Thomas, Just a point to note. I wasn't having any issues with my DAC, but I decided to just update the firmware anyway. But it turns out, this update actually produced sound issues "popping" for me!
Luckily I'm a bit anal with backups, so I just reverted to my previous setup. If it ain't broke - don't try and fix it! :roll:

Return to “Media centres”