Marky89

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:55 pm

Have just installed and tried this, and unless you turn off the squeezelite player then shairport won't work. I wonder if it's possible to write some kind of script which will listen for a connection to shairport and automatically turn off squeezelite, then once the connection leaves it turns it back on.

Also I went to edit my default soundcard for shairport in /etc/init.d/shairport which then told me to go to /etc/default/shairport but this was empty?

wcsuther

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:18 pm

FWIW, I am having the same problem. Although my shairport audio is coming out of HDMI...not sure how to change it..

-Craig

bobbydriver

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:07 am

Hi Thomas

I've been happily running Squeezeplug 5 for well over a year, and I've had no major issues.

Is it worth me getting a new SD card and trying Version 7?

I don't run any of the client stuff (Squeezelite etc), just LMS and MiniDLNA (because the LMS DLNA server is useless for videos and photos on my Smart TV)

Squeeze Plug 5 has my LMS on Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.2 - r33893

What benefits will I get on SPlug 7?

I'd mainly be interested in performance improvement (browse times on the Logitech clients and scan times) but maybe this can be done by overclocking? I've not ventured into the realms of overclocking yet

Thanks

TheD6Bel

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:47 pm

Hello,

Is it possible to control the volume with button connected on gpio?

or something else?

may be this product (normaly for xbmc)
http://www.audiophonics.fr/audiophonics ... -8435.html

tomriddle

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:13 am

quick question.. is spotify working at all?? ive tried v6 and v7 and audio is either in slowmotion or not playing at all.. been playing with it all weekend.. tried installing lame but no luck..
thanks!!

bantammenace2012

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Up until today I've been successfully getting sound using HDMI into a splitter box which extracts the audio and sends it via SPDIF to my HiFi. It works very well but requires an external powered splitter box.
Today I got a Wolfson Audio Card that sits directly on the GPIO of my RPi (it uses the P5 header and at least one of the normal header pins) . It has SPDIF output so hopefully I will no longer need the splitter box. The question I have is how do I configure Squeezeplug to use the Wolfson audio card's SPDIF out ?

truehl

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:52 am

bantammenace2012 wrote:Up until today I've been successfully getting sound using HDMI into a splitter box which extracts the audio and sends it via SPDIF to my HiFi. It works very well but requires an external powered splitter box.
Today I got a Wolfson Audio Card that sits directly on the GPIO of my RPi (it uses the P5 header and at least one of the normal header pins) . It has SPDIF output so hopefully I will no longer need the splitter box. The question I have is how do I configure Squeezeplug to use the Wolfson audio card's SPDIF out ?
First we need the output of "squeezelite -l", then we can see which parameters we will need to start SqueezeLite. Pleas post this output here!

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

truehl

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:54 am

tomriddle wrote:quick question.. is spotify working at all?? ive tried v6 and v7 and audio is either in slowmotion or not playing at all.. been playing with it all weekend.. tried installing lame but no luck..
thanks!!
It works, but it will need a paid Spotify account!

Thomas
truehl

truehl

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:58 am

bobbydriver wrote:Hi Thomas

I've been happily running Squeezeplug 5 for well over a year, and I've had no major issues.

Is it worth me getting a new SD card and trying Version 7?

I don't run any of the client stuff (Squeezelite etc), just LMS and MiniDLNA (because the LMS DLNA server is useless for videos and photos on my Smart TV)

Squeeze Plug 5 has my LMS on Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.2 - r33893

What benefits will I get on SPlug 7?

I'd mainly be interested in performance improvement (browse times on the Logitech clients and scan times) but maybe this can be done by overclocking? I've not ventured into the realms of overclocking yet

Thanks
Never touch a running system! There is no relevant performance improvement, as far as I know! I've eliminated a lot of bugs, now use the actual community Rasbbpian image and so on! If the old image is running well for you, keep it as it is!

Thomas
truehl

bobbydriver

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:36 am

truehl wrote: Never touch a running system! There is no relevant performance improvement, as far as I know! I've eliminated a lot of bugs, now use the actual community Rasbbpian image and so on! If the old image is running well for you, keep it as it is!
Thomas
Good advice, but I picked up a cheap Class 10 4GB SD card and had a play at the weekend. It seems to work fine. To be honest I had loaded so many additional packages on my Pi since I started with Squeezeplug 5 that I was glad of the chance to tidy up and get a newer Raspbian image.

Performance does indeed not seem to be any different - I've upped the overclock to medium, but it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference, so I think that the bottleneck to performance on the scan must be the samba share that holds my library

fuzzybee

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:32 am

tomriddle wrote:quick question.. is spotify working at all?? ive tried v6 and v7 and audio is either in slowmotion or not playing at all.. been playing with it all weekend.. tried installing lame but no luck..
thanks!!
Unfortunately, *all* music is playing in "slow motion" for me with version 7 :(

fuzzybee

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:02 am

fuzzybee wrote:
thanks!!
Unfortunately, *all* music is playing in "slow motion" for me with version 7 :(
Updating the buffering *while music was playing* seemed to fix this for me.

truehl

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:16 pm

bobbydriver wrote:Performance does indeed not seem to be any different - I've upped the overclock to medium, but it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference, so I think that the bottleneck to performance on the scan must be the samba share that holds my library
I'm pretty sure that it's not a problem with the Samba share! The last days I did some tests with an Odroid U3 device. It's a very promising 1,7 GHz Quad Core, 2GB RAM device. I'm using an eMMC card, coming with the device. Following the vendor, this card is about 6 times faster than an class 10 SD card. Performance of Squeezebox, especially scanning the library runs about six times quicker as with a Raspberry Pi. They both use the same Samba share, so it won't be Samba!

Thomas
truehl

TheD6Bel

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:21 pm

TheD6Bel wrote:Hello,

Is it possible to control the volume with button connected on gpio?

or something else?

may be this product (normaly for xbmc)
http://www.audiophonics.fr/audiophonics ... -8435.html
Hello, i buy the kayboard but don't work over squeezeplug or picoreplayer :evil:

gabevr

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Hello, I am excited to try out the new build but I'm having trouble installing it on an SD card. I have tried a 8GB class 10 Patriot card and a 4GB class 6 Verbatim card with no luck booting. I used USB Image Tool in device mode with the first 2 boxes checked under "options". Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Maybe the install process is different with this new build?

Thank's for any help!

UPDATE: I tried both sd card's in my model b 1st gen (256MB) pi and they booted, but they still won't boot in my 2nd gen (512MB). Seems like a hardware issue but it's beyond me.
Last edited by gabevr on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gabevr

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Marky89 wrote:Have just installed and tried this, and unless you turn off the squeezelite player then shairport won't work. I wonder if it's possible to write some kind of script which will listen for a connection to shairport and automatically turn off squeezelite, then once the connection leaves it turns it back on.

Also I went to edit my default soundcard for shairport in /etc/init.d/shairport which then told me to go to /etc/default/shairport but this was empty?
This bothered me a lot about version 6 and I hoped it would be fixed in v7 but I guess not. It's either one or the other I guess.

truehl

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:02 am

gabevr wrote:Hello, I am excited to try out the new build but I'm having trouble installing it on an SD card. I have tried a 8GB class 10 Patriot card and a 4GB class 6 Verbatim card with no luck booting. I used USB Image Tool in device mode with the first 2 boxes checked under "options". Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Maybe the install process is different with this new build?

Thank's for any help!

UPDATE: I tried both sd card's in my model b 1st gen (256MB) pi and they booted, but they still won't boot in my 2nd gen (512MB). Seems like a hardware issue but it's beyond me.
Sounds strange, but you are the very first reporting boot problems with version 7. So I think it must be an individual problem for you, sorry!

Thomas
truehl

bobbydriver

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:27 am

truehl wrote: I'm pretty sure that it's not a problem with the Samba share! The last days I did some tests with an Odroid U3 device. It's a very promising 1,7 GHz Quad Core, 2GB RAM device. I'm using an eMMC card, coming with the device. Following the vendor, this card is about 6 times faster than an class 10 SD card. Performance of Squeezebox, especially scanning the library runs about six times quicker as with a Raspberry Pi. They both use the same Samba share, so it won't be Samba!

Thomas
Thanks for the info - on that basis I guess the Pi is just going as fast as it can. I have circa 70,000 mp3s and it takes about 20 minutes to do a scan for changes. A full rescan takes about 8 hours

The Odroid U3 sounds awesome but I can't find anywhere that sells them in the UK. Importing one from Korea sounds like a hassle, as you have to deal with UK customs. I'll definitely get one when they become widely available

monkmandolins

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Hello and thanks for your hard work. 2 simple noob questions:

-I want to use my Ubuntu laptop as the server and 3 squeezeplug raspis as clients for simultaneous playback multi-room audio. I would like the laptop server to also output sound to speakers, to have music in 4 rooms. Is this possible?

-Can I capture the output of my Ubuntu laptop soundcard (playing pianobar/pithos/pandora) and broadcast to the squeezeplugs?

Thanks again!

Pete

gabevr

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:39 pm

truehl wrote:
gabevr wrote:Hello, I am excited to try out the new build but I'm having trouble installing it on an SD card. I have tried a 8GB class 10 Patriot card and a 4GB class 6 Verbatim card with no luck booting. I used USB Image Tool in device mode with the first 2 boxes checked under "options". Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Maybe the install process is different with this new build?

Thank's for any help!

Sounds strange, but you are the very first reporting boot problems with version 7. So I think it must be an individual problem for you, sorry!

Thomas
I got it working, I think the image got corrupted during the download/extraction because a fresh download worked first try.

Thanks!

gabevr

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:44 pm

gabevr wrote:
Marky89 wrote:Have just installed and tried this, and unless you turn off the squeezelite player then shairport won't work. I wonder if it's possible to write some kind of script which will listen for a connection to shairport and automatically turn off squeezelite, then once the connection leaves it turns it back on.

This bothered me a lot about version 6 and I hoped it would be fixed in v7 but I guess not. It's either one or the other I guess.
So I tried installing Squeezeslave as a workaround for this issue and seems to have worked. I was able have audio from Squeezeslave and Shairport streaming simultaneously via the Raspi analog out (Haven't tried my DAC yet). I know Squeezelite is the preffered player but Squeezeslave seems fine so far and this is a big enough plus for me to keep using it!

truehl

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:49 pm

bobbydriver wrote:The Odroid U3 sounds awesome but I can't find anywhere that sells them in the UK. Importing one from Korea sounds like a hassle, as you have to deal with UK customs. I'll definitely get one when they become widely available
Right now you have to Order directly in Korea. I was very impressed about the time for shipping! It lasts only one week to deliver it to Germany. Customs was no problem, FedEx did the job and send me the bill a few days later. There was no toll, only 19% VAT.

Thomas
truehl

gabevr

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:30 pm

Does anyone know how to change the audio output of Shairport? I'm using a UCA202 DAC and squeezeslave works great through it but Shairport is still going through the analog out. I've changed the alsa sound card to usb and I've looked through what I think is the config file in /etc/init.d/shairport, but I'm just not sure what settings to change if any.

Any help is much appreciated!

TheD6Bel

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:08 pm

TheD6Bel wrote: Hello, i buy the keyboard but don't work over squeezeplug or picoreplayer :evil:
Hi,

i trie the keyboard with raspbmc and it work perfectly but i need squeezeplug and not xbmc. Is possible to assign the volume keys on squeezeslave ?

I really need to control the volume with the button to make a preamp, thank's for your help ;)

monkmandolins

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi-

I got the system working beautifully on 3 raspi's and an old laptop running Ubuntu.
I wasn't able to get audio out through my usb soundcards (C-Media C119), but for the time being the regular headphone jack on the pi's is serving the purpose.

I had these soundcards working on Raspian before by this:

Change

Code: Select all

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

By commenting out

Code: Select all

options snd-usb-audio index=-2
Restart, and all sound was routed to these great little sound cards.

The current configuration of that file looks very different.
Can you give me some guidance, please?
This soundcard is one of 3 easily found on Amazon in the states, so I doubt I am the only one that will have this issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-A ... +soundcard

Thanks, and AMAZING work!!!

Return to “Media centres”