User avatar
mantekka
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:36 am

mantekka wrote:Hi i'm back trying to get my DAC working!
OK I finally found a solution. I ran squeezeplug instead of squeezelite and it worked straight away!
Delighted to have it working again. Should I continue trying to get squeezelite working, it seems it is the better player to be using...

CommanderROR
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Just a brief question truehl:

Does your build of Raspbian support the Hifiberry DAC out of the box? It's just abour the Best thing that has happend to the audio on the Pi since it'a launch...it works on PiCorePlayer and is supposed to be built into latest Pi firmware, but some modules need to be activated apparently, is that the case on Squeezeplug 7.02?

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:15 am

CommanderROR wrote:Just a brief question truehl:

Does your build of Raspbian support the Hifiberry DAC out of the box? It's just abour the Best thing that has happend to the audio on the Pi since it'a launch...it works on PiCorePlayer and is supposed to be built into latest Pi firmware, but some modules need to be activated apparently, is that the case on Squeezeplug 7.02?
Yes it should work since patch 7.01. I can't test it, because I don't own one. If it will not work, we will make it working!

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:19 pm

truehl wrote:
CommanderROR wrote:Just a brief question truehl:

Does your build of Raspbian support the Hifiberry DAC out of the box? It's just abour the Best thing that has happend to the audio on the Pi since it'a launch...it works on PiCorePlayer and is supposed to be built into latest Pi firmware, but some modules need to be activated apparently, is that the case on Squeezeplug 7.02?
Yes it should work since patch 7.01. I can't test it, because I don't own one. If it will not work, we will make it working!

Thomas
Just bought a HiFi Berry Digi. It should be delivered in the middle of February! Sounds very interesting!

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

llv95dno
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi - has anyone got the WiFi USB with a Ralink RT5370 chip working on the latest releases of Squeezeplug?

It seems to work well with Rasbian and the topic has been discussed in earlier, but I can not find any info on if there is a working solution. Maybe its a dead end, and I would be grateful to any info on the subject.

/Daniel

SirToby
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Yes, after playing some hours around I've managed it to set up an AP using a Chinese WiFi Ralink RT5370 with SP 7.02.
Useful links for me: elinux.org and some Google hints for solving the problems setting up a fixed IP for the WLAN.
But now it's working very well!

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:09 am

llv95dno wrote:Hi - has anyone got the WiFi USB with a Ralink RT5370 chip working on the latest releases of Squeezeplug?

It seems to work well with Rasbian and the topic has been discussed in earlier, but I can not find any info on if there is a working solution. Maybe its a dead end, and I would be grateful to any info on the subject.

/Daniel
If it's not working with my scripts, configure it from the wpa_gui. I've not changed anything regarding WiFi, it's still the original Raspbian setup. So configure it from x. Therefor use startx from the console or the VNC server from my setup!

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

User avatar
Trixster
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:01 pm

Hello Thomas,

Even with 500:4 set as the ALSA buffer I'm getting occasional annoying clicks and pops with a pcm2704 dac and SqueezeLite. As another poster mentioned earlier on in this thread, this did not occur with earlier versions of SqueezePlug which were running SqueezeLite1.5.

500:4 is better than default, but the occasional click is still there.

Any ideas on a fix? This is on a 900Mhz overclocked Pi by the way.

Top shows a consistent 34-37% cpu usage when playing a FLAC.

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:30 pm

Trixster wrote:Hello Thomas,

Even with 500:4 set as the ALSA buffer I'm getting occasional annoying clicks and pops with a pcm2704 dac and SqueezeLite. As another poster mentioned earlier on in this thread, this did not occur with earlier versions of SqueezePlug which were running SqueezeLite1.5.

500:4 is better than default, but the occasional click is still there.

Any ideas on a fix? This is on a 900Mhz overclocked Pi by the way.

Top shows a consistent 34-37% cpu usage when playing a FLAC.
I have no idea! The only reason I could mention is that it depends on the different firmware. Did you try with a firmware update? And could you try with SqueezeSlave?

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

CommanderROR
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:10 am

I'm very happy with Squeezeplug 7 and just finally made a small donation.

There is something I've been wondering about...would it be possible to control a LMS Pi with an IRDA remote? There is the FLIRC Usb stick out now, but it's geared more towards XBMC...but xould this theoretically be done? I'm ok with smartphone apps, but my parents might be happier if they could control the basic radio functions via "normal" remote...

User avatar
mantekka
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:52 pm

Yes I think so, I was looking into it today. Inspired by flirc too, but now see that you can just use lirc. Get a cheap IR receiver (http://www.adafruit.com/products/157) and install LIRC. I hope to try this soon. A few tutorials on the web like this one: http://marks-space.com/2013/10/24/how-t ... ir-remote/

matteegee
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:30 pm

First of all, thank you for all your hard work Thomas. You've done a great job with Squeezeplug.

My use of it is just for Squeezelite and I've been happily using version 6 on 3 Pi's for a while now. Each one is connected to a Behringer UCA202 DAC and the sound quality has been good.

On moving up to v7 and specifically v7.02 I've now got sound issues. It's an almost inaudible popping that is very random and only happens every few seconds or minutes. It can take 5 mins to manifest itself sometimes but when it does, if I stop the music it can be heard on its own. However, it will stop after a few minutes while the music is stopped.

I've upgraded mainly for the benefit of using Spotify which is now supported but this is a show stopper so I've reverted back to 6.

As an aside, I tried PicorePlayer a few months ago and that exhibited the exact same issue.

I'd love to be able to get to the bottom of this. I've tried various settings on the command line but it always happens.

Is anybody else using the UCA202 DAC? What has changed since v6 that could cause this? How should I start to try to diagnose this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Matt

P.S just read a post above mine and it sounds like I've got a similar issue to Trixster. Maybe there has been some changes in the o/s that is causing this. Something with Alsa maybe?

CommanderROR
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:33 am

Hmmm...tweaming the alsa buffer settings can help, apart from that I don't know.
If you work with the -a setting, make sure to use the
-o sysdefault:CARD***
Options, because the buffers apparently get ignored if you use front or hw as output....at least I read about that.

matteegee
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:16 pm

CommanderROR wrote:Hmmm...tweaming the alsa buffer settings can help, apart from that I don't know.
If you work with the -a setting, make sure to use the
-o sysdefault:CARD***
Options, because the buffers apparently get ignored if you use front or hw as output....at least I read about that.
Thanks for the info. I just tried it with sysdefault:CARD.... (I normally use hw:) and it makes no difference. Incidentally, if I bump up the buffer to say 200 it gets worse.

Listening closely, it's more of a crackle than a pop... I sound like an advert for Rice Krispies here :D

User avatar
Trixster
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:22 pm

truehl wrote:
Trixster wrote:Hello Thomas,

Even with 500:4 set as the ALSA buffer I'm getting occasional annoying clicks and pops with a pcm2704 dac and SqueezeLite. As another poster mentioned earlier on in this thread, this did not occur with earlier versions of SqueezePlug which were running SqueezeLite1.5.

500:4 is better than default, but the occasional click is still there.

Any ideas on a fix? This is on a 900Mhz overclocked Pi by the way.

Top shows a consistent 34-37% cpu usage when playing a FLAC.
I have no idea! The only reason I could mention is that it depends on the different firmware. Did you try with a firmware update? And could you try with SqueezeSlave?

Thomas
Thomas, upgrading the firmware makes no difference. I haven't had chance to try squeezeslave unfortunately.

CommanderROR
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:15 pm

Weird...the USB sound issues were supposed to be fixed a long time ago. Usually the -a options fixed the occasional popping noises...
Highest I ever had to use was -a 160:4

Can you perhaps try switching to wireless instead of LAN? Or try a cheap USB sound stick?
I'm running Squeezeplug 7.02 with a cmedia usb soundstick and have occasional plops, my other Pis are running with HiFiBerry DACs and PiCorePlayer, no problems at all there with the
-o option set for the i2s DAC with "hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry"
No -a settings needed in that setup either. I'll soon upgrade my Squeezeplug server pi with a hifiberry as well, that will get rid of the last sound issues...

I'm also using upsampling on the PiCorePlayer units, my 44.1KHz run at 176KHz and CPU load stays at about 20%.
Not sure I hearing any difference though... ;-)

matteegee
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:37 pm

CommanderROR wrote:Weird...the USB sound issues were supposed to be fixed a long time ago.
That's the thing, in Squeezeplug v6 I have no issues at all but in v7 it's a different story.

Btw, I've just ordered a hifiberry. I am after the best sound quality I can get and these sound like they might improve on the Behringer... popping and cracking aside. If so, I'll switch all the Pi's to hifiberry's and put the Behringers on fleebay but it's a cost I wanted to avoid.

User avatar
Trixster
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Just to clarify, I'm using wifi with an edimax usb dongle, not wired LAN. Wired is not an option for me in this instance.

CommanderROR
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:00 am

@matteegee

I think you won't regret it. HiFiBerry is really great.

@Trixster

Then I'm out of ideas. Maybe it's something about the recent Squeezelite builds? I don't think it is Squeezeplug related...and you said you tried PiCorePlayer as well, right?
Maybe give Volumio a go, just to be sure. It can't compete with Squeezeplug or PiCorePlayer, but you can test sound output quality with it I guess...

User avatar
Trixster
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:51 pm

I haven't tried piccoreplayer, but I had no issue with SqueezeLite iterations pre 1.0 right through to 1.5 with squeezeplug 5. I never got squeezeplug 6 to work properly with my edimax usb dongle. It's not an issue with LMS 7.8 because I had that running alongside SqueezeLite fine under squeezeplug 5. Annoyingly I do not have an easily option of running a wired LAN up into the loft where the pi lives, I do not have a long enough run of cable. I think it's a problem with the edimax usb causing interference but I cannot test that easily.

I'm going to try and rig something together in the lounge this afternoon to test this.

CommanderROR
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Well, my edimax works fine with PiCorePlayer and rhe hifiberry dac...
About the LAN connection...have you considered Powerline? I used that for a while and it works very well. It does cost though...

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:10 pm

To the guys having problems with SqueezeLite:
Could you try to use the alsa config files from version 6 and the SqueezeLite version from version 6 which are running well for you? You have simply to copy the old files over the new ones, reboot an test! I think that would bring us more forward to a solution!

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

User avatar
.helge
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:55 pm

@those who have issues with crackling sound
try rpi-update to incorporate the fix from latest commit (only 3 hours old, https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/ ... 4b969f2caf)
maybe it helps

brgds,
Helge

CommanderROR
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:34 pm

Nice find. It seems to have fixed most of the noises on my cmedia usb audio stick. I did not have really serious problems though...

What about the USB Dac problems? Did it help you there?

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:29 am

CommanderROR wrote:Nice find. It seems to have fixed most of the noises on my cmedia usb audio stick. I did not have really serious problems though...

What about the USB Dac problems? Did it help you there?
Sounds promising! I hope the issues will be fixed! If so I'll include a firmware update in the upcoming 7.03 patch. An other issue with SqueezeLite will also be addressed: If you run more than one SqueezeLite player, only one will be recognised, cause they both get the same MAC-address! I don't have access to my Pi's the next days, so it will be next weekend to work on it! Please inform me if the firmware update helps!

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Return to “Media centres”