User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:50 am

Hi folks,

GREAT NEWS!

I'm very happy to tell you that SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi version 7 is now ready for download. SqueezePlug version 7 is a completely new version, nearly every script is renewed! The new version is based on the latest Raspbian version 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian so it should work on every hardware version of raspberry Pi.

There is only one version available, the Debian Wheezy HF version. There is no need for other versions any more, because every software package is running on the hard-float version.

A lot of unnecessary thinks are removed in version 7, it's focussed on the important things, but they are much better implemented as before.

SqueezePlug version 7 is much easier for users and a lot of bugs from version 6 are removed. Every software package now comes in an actual version.

There is no update from version 6 is available!


What is SqueezePlug?
SqueezePlug is a platform for different Media-Servers:
- Logitech Media Server (f.k.a. Slimserver, SqueezeBox Server) in the latest version
- MiniDLNA
- MPD

And SqueezePlug is a platform for different Media-clients or players:
- SqueezeLite
- SqueezeSlave
- Shairport


And SqueezePlug offers some other services:
- VNC Server

All these servers and players are ready to install by just a click.

Included features are:
- Scripts for all SqueezePlug configurations
- Expand RootFS automatically
- Change Timezone, Hostname, Password, SSH-Keys,
- Configure Network Settings incl. WiFi support
- Network configuration files are now available on the /boot (FAT) partition so you can change them from you Windows PC
- Change Overclocking and Memory Spilt
- Handling of external drives
- Cloning SD-Cards
- Samba Server already included
- HD-Idle included
- Update functions included
- Test and Change audio settings

All official Raspbian / Wheezy features like X-Server are available, nothing is purged by default.

How to install SqueezePlug?
The Image fits on every 4 GB SD-Card! You should expand the SD-Card to it's full size during the initial setup.

1. Download, unzip and burn the sd-card
2. Start the Pi and find out the IP-Address (e.g. from an attached monitor, from your router or a tools like Advanced IP Scanner v2).
3. login with user: root and pw: nosoup4u
4. Follow the initial steps
a. Update SqueezePlug
b. Expand the Root-Filesystem to the maximum SD-Card size
5. type "setup" and choose the options you need and the scripts will do the rest for you.

Please visit my blog to download the new image: http:/squeezeplug.de
Look for:
squeezeplug_rpi_700.img

Have fun,
Greetings,
Thomas

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... M49ARYWK6C
thanks a lot!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

CommanderROR
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:58 am

Thanks,

Will install after work!

sydsfloyd67
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 pm

2 questions - Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Hello

Outstanding. I just built this last night (6) after years of considering the potential. ('Just worked').

Two questions then:

1. What is the largest SDHC card that that 6 or 7 is known to work with? (The reason I ask is that Cyanogen mods for Android 'crumble(d)' in my experience when using SD cards larger than 8 MB. I built 6 on an 8 MB SanDisk Ultra SDHC 008G-U45 yesterday, but would like to host my music library directly on the Squeezeplug /media folder and go up to 16 or 32 Mb.

2. Maybe a wired ethernet connection is best, but I wanted to explore the wifi Network setup option with a known compatible wifi usb plug. Setup went fine, but I cannot get wifi working with a 'blank' password on an open wifi network (no password). The 'Activate' option shows the correctly configured SSID, but the password gives a string of asterices when leaving the password field blank in the configuration box. (A monitor on the Squeezeplug indicates that the password string is 'unexpected' in length, and 'no network' when running on wifi only.----- Can one manually modify this string to a blank password somewhere?

Great work! With the usual Logitech server 'Christmas outage' on mysqueezebox.com over here, I want to go forward with the potential to be entirely self-contained with my whole-house squeezebox rig. Thanks!!

alexandali
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks Thomas - guess I'm one of the first to try out your new release today.
The installation went fine, no problems. I'm using the audio out on the pi to drive my sound system and wi-fi on a Edimax EW-7811Un to connect to the network, squeezelite player and LMS 7.7.2 running on a QNAP NAS..
With 7.0 when playing music I get distortion - a constant clicking or popping like a scratchy vinyl record along with the sound. No clicks when there's nothing playing.
I went back to the previous version at 6.02 which I have been running since last year - and that works fine with no distortion. Any ideas?
Alex Geller

CommanderROR
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:03 pm

Running fine here. I haven't tested the player right on the squeezeplug pi yet, but my two picoreplayer clients work well so far!
Installation was easy and the new menu is nice.

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:35 pm

As reported at slimdevices forum, can't get the samba share to work. Uses the same fstab entry as version 6, but in 7 there is no successful mount for the music library.

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:25 pm

castalla wrote:As reported at slimdevices forum, can't get the samba share to work. Uses the same fstab entry as version 6, but in 7 there is no successful mount for the music library.
Hi castalla,
that's odd! Samba is one of the few things I didn't change! I think it must have something to do with the guest account! Could you try to mount a Samba share with a real user?

Please let's discuss things in only one forum, not in two.

Thanks a lot,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Agreed! But which one?!

Posted a workaround at the other place!

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:24 pm

alexandali wrote:Thanks Thomas - guess I'm one of the first to try out your new release today.
The installation went fine, no problems. I'm using the audio out on the pi to drive my sound system and wi-fi on a Edimax EW-7811Un to connect to the network, squeezelite player and LMS 7.7.2 running on a QNAP NAS..
With 7.0 when playing music I get distortion - a constant clicking or popping like a scratchy vinyl record along with the sound. No clicks when there's nothing playing.
I went back to the previous version at 6.02 which I have been running since last year - and that works fine with no distortion. Any ideas?
Alex Geller
Please try to adjust the buffer size of SqueezeLite. You can do it from the SqueezeLite install menu. Increase the buffer size step by step. I'm having a very clean sound output with the 200:4 option. If this does not help, try to overclock the plug, do this also step by step, a reboot is needed after each test! Please inform us!

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: 2 questions - Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:33 pm

sydsfloyd67 wrote: 1. What is the largest SDHC card that that 6 or 7 is known to work with? (The reason I ask is that Cyanogen mods for Android 'crumble(d)' in my experience when using SD cards larger than 8 MB. I built 6 on an 8 MB SanDisk Ultra SDHC 008G-U45 yesterday, but would like to host my music library directly on the Squeezeplug /media folder and go up to 16 or 32 Mb.
I don't know any limitations.
sydsfloyd67 wrote:2. Maybe a wired ethernet connection is best, but I wanted to explore the wifi Network setup option with a known compatible wifi usb plug. Setup went fine, but I cannot get wifi working with a 'blank' password on an open wifi network (no password). The 'Activate' option shows the correctly configured SSID, but the password gives a string of asterices when leaving the password field blank in the configuration box. (A monitor on the Squeezeplug indicates that the password string is 'unexpected' in length, and 'no network' when running on wifi only.----- Can one manually modify this string to a blank password somewhere?
Try to configure the wireless LAN over the x-server and the wpa_gui. You can do this if you have a keyboard, a monitor and a mouse attached to the pi, or use the tightvnc server coming with SqueezePlug!

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

sydsfloyd67
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Re: 2 questions - Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:36 pm

truehl wrote:
sydsfloyd67 wrote: 1. What is the largest SDHC card that that 6 or 7 is known to work with?

I don't know any limitations.
sydsfloyd67 wrote:2. Maybe a wired ethernet connection is best, but I wanted to explore the wifi Network setup option with a known compatible wifi usb plug. Setup went fine, but I cannot get wifi working with a 'blank' password on an open wifi network (no password). The 'Activate' option shows the correctly configured SSID, but the password gives a string of asterices when leaving the password field blank in the configuration box. (A monitor on the Squeezeplug indicates that the password string is 'unexpected' in length, and 'no network' when running on wifi only.----- Can one manually modify this string to a blank password somewhere?
Try to configure the wireless LAN over the x-server and the wpa_gui. You can do this if you have a keyboard, a monitor and a mouse attached to the pi, or use the tightvnc server coming with SqueezePlug!

Thomas
Great!! Thanks again.
SF

Lugie
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:29 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi Thomas,

I installed this new version and everything went ok in the setup, including my new wifi adaptor. Unfortunately, squeezelite refuses to run. When I do a 'status' command it says it's not running. When I do an audio test in your setup program I don't see my sound card there even though it is supported as before (hifi diy sabre). Version 6 of squeeze plug was working well for me. How do I log what's happening to squeezelite?

Thanks.

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Lugie wrote:Hi Thomas,

I installed this new version and everything went ok in the setup, including my new wifi adaptor. Unfortunately, squeezelite refuses to run. When I do a 'status' command it says it's not running. When I do an audio test in your setup program I don't see my sound card there even though it is supported as before (hifi diy sabre). Version 6 of squeeze plug was working well for me. How do I log what's happening to squeezelite?

Thanks.
Can You please paste the output of: /sp/scripts/squeezelite -l
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Lugie
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:29 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Here it is:

Code: Select all

Output devices:
  null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
  sysdefault:CARD=DAC            - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
  front:CARD=DAC                 - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
  surround40:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
  surround41:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround50:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
  surround51:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround71:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
  iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0          - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
  sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
  front:CARD=ALSA                - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
I noticed there was a trailing space in the config file as a result of the setup script:
"-n RasPi -o CARD=DAC "
But I tried removing it and it didn't help.
Thanks.

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Lugie wrote:Here it is:

Code: Select all

Output devices:
  null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
  sysdefault:CARD=DAC            - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
  front:CARD=DAC                 - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
  surround40:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
  surround41:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround50:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
  surround51:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround71:CARD=DAC,DEV=0      - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
  iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0          - HiFimeDIY DAC, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
  sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
  front:CARD=ALSA                - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
I noticed there was a trailing space in the config file as a result of the setup script:
"-n RasPi -o CARD=DAC "
But I tried removing it and it didn't help.
Thanks.
Could you please check this:
killall squeezelite
/sp/scripts/squeezelite -l

then look up each line and try all possibilities, one after the other
/sp/scripts/squeezelite -a :::0 -o front:CARD=ALSA

change the last term behind "-o" (front:CARD=ALSA)

try with every output device listed with (/sp/scripts/squeezelite -l)

at one of the options there should be sound, I hope! That's the option we need! Please tell the result here.

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

sydsfloyd67
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:41 pm

T.,

For setup of the media library, I followed the v6 video tutorial exactly, and /mnt/hd2 now appears to be a mirror of the root file system directory, rather than an empty directory containing one folder of mp3 (as on the USB stick attached). If I delete something from the root file system, it is deleted at /mnt/hd2.

What could cause that, and how can I correct it?

Thanks!
SF

Lugie
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:29 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:26 pm

truehl wrote: Could you please check this:
killall squeezelite
/sp/scripts/squeezelite -l

then look up each line and try all possibilities, one after the other
/sp/scripts/squeezelite -a :::0 -o front:CARD=ALSA

change the last term behind "-o" (front:CARD=ALSA)

try with every output device listed with (/sp/scripts/squeezelite -l)

at one of the options there should be sound, I hope! That's the option we need! Please tell the result here.

Thomas
Thank you, Thomas! This worked for me - "front:CARD=DAC"
I don't recall if the "front" prefix was necessary in earlier versions of squeezelite, but it is now. Anyway, I edited the config file, rebooted and everything is back to normal.

Did you build squeezelite with the -DFFMPEG option? Just curious because there is a small glitch when playing back my ALAC files (transcoded to FLAC) at the beginning of each song. I assume it's due to the conversion so it would be nice for squeezelite to play ALAC natively.

Thanks again,
Lugie.

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:03 pm

sydsfloyd67 wrote:T.,

For setup of the media library, I followed the v6 video tutorial exactly, and /mnt/hd2 now appears to be a mirror of the root file system directory, rather than an empty directory containing one folder of mp3 (as on the USB stick attached). If I delete something from the root file system, it is deleted at /mnt/hd2.

What could cause that, and how can I correct it?

Thanks!
SF
You have a USB-Stick attached to the Pi? Which format is the USB stick. Please tell more details and I'll check this out! What does "blkid" give you and what "mount"?

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:08 pm

Lugie wrote:
truehl wrote: Could you please check this:
killall squeezelite
/sp/scripts/squeezelite -l

then look up each line and try all possibilities, one after the other
/sp/scripts/squeezelite -a :::0 -o front:CARD=ALSA

change the last term behind "-o" (front:CARD=ALSA)

try with every output device listed with (/sp/scripts/squeezelite -l)

at one of the options there should be sound, I hope! That's the option we need! Please tell the result here.

Thomas
Thank you, Thomas! This worked for me - "front:CARD=DAC"
I don't recall if the "front" prefix was necessary in earlier versions of squeezelite, but it is now. Anyway, I edited the config file, rebooted and everything is back to normal.

Did you build squeezelite with the -DFFMPEG option? Just curious because there is a small glitch when playing back my ALAC files (transcoded to FLAC) at the beginning of each song. I assume it's due to the conversion so it would be nice for squeezelite to play ALAC natively.

Thanks again,
Lugie.
So I'll change this option for your DAC in the setup script. SqueezeLite version 1.4 is installed. I did not build it myself, I used the official version.

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

ianrt
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:47 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:26 am

FYI

Squeezeplug 7 works with hifiberry I2S DAC.

It isn't automatically recognised - you have to follow the instructions on the hifiberry site (see below) to add modules, then modify the squeezeplug script to use sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry

From hifiberry site: to add modules

cat >/etc/modules <<EOF
snd_soc_bcm2708
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_pcm5102a
snd_soc_hifiberry_dac
EOF
sync


Ian

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:19 am

ianrt wrote:FYI

Squeezeplug 7 works with hifiberry I2S DAC.

It isn't automatically recognised - you have to follow the instructions on the hifiberry site (see below) to add modules, then modify the squeezeplug script to use sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry

From hifiberry site: to add modules

cat >/etc/modules <<EOF
snd_soc_bcm2708
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_pcm5102a
snd_soc_hifiberry_dac
EOF
sync


Ian
Very good hint, I'll integrate this in the next update!
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:27 am

truehl wrote:
sydsfloyd67 wrote:T.,

For setup of the media library, I followed the v6 video tutorial exactly, and /mnt/hd2 now appears to be a mirror of the root file system directory, rather than an empty directory containing one folder of mp3 (as on the USB stick attached). If I delete something from the root file system, it is deleted at /mnt/hd2.

What could cause that, and how can I correct it?

Thanks!
SF
You have a USB-Stick attached to the Pi? Which format is the USB stick. Please tell more details and I'll check this out! What does "blkid" give you and what "mount"?

Thomas
I've tested it right now and it's working fine for me! To help you I need more information!


Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

sydsfloyd67
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi

It's a stick 64gb SanDisk cruzer in MS-Dos FAT.

blkid gives
dev/mmcblk0p1: sec_type="msdos" UUID=3312-932F" type="vfat"
dev/mmcblk0p2: label=rootfs" UUID=b7b5dd-ff-ddb4...." type="ext4"

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:29 pm

sydsfloyd67 wrote:Hi

It's a stick 64gb SanDisk cruzer in MS-Dos FAT.

blkid gives
dev/mmcblk0p1: sec_type="msdos" UUID=3312-932F" type="vfat"
dev/mmcblk0p2: label=rootfs" UUID=b7b5dd-ff-ddb4...." type="ext4"
So the USB-Stick is not recognized! You should see /dev/sda1!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

sydsfloyd67
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 7 available

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:44 pm

T.

Not sure that it's not recognized, as it shows something in "vfat" is seen at dev/mmcblk0p1?

The setup option allows me to format something at /mnt/hd2, and reports it 'sucessful'

Does it have anything to do with using a 64gig USB stick? (I was afraid about that, but in terms of SD card size rather than USB sticks. (My initial post mentioned that I saw issues with using cards larger than 6 GB with android cyanogen mods.)

I'll try a more conventional size stick then.

Here is 'mount':
[email protected]:~# mount
/dev/root on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=248820k,nr_inodes=62205,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=49780k,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=99540k)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on /mnt/hd2 type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on /mnt/hd1 type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
[email protected]:~#

-SF

Return to “Media centres”