BakaOsaka

Re: Got get_iplayer downloading from BBC iPlayer

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi all,

I've tried get-iplayer following the instructions posted on LetsHopeItsSnowing's blog, and can run it. The download begins, however a random percentage into the video I get "ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet body. len: 67060" or a similar error. I have all the dependancies installed, is there any way to fix this? As it makes it impossible to download any videos.

Thanks!

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 pm

I had various issues with it too and ended up joining the get_iplayer mailing list and getting some awesome advice how to get hold of the latest versions of rtmpdump and ffmpeg. I ended up writing an "end to end" tutorial on my blog about how to do the complete install. Then I did another version when the debian wheezy beta came out. :lol:

Click here for Debian Squeeze version

Click here for Debian Wheezy beta version
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

BakaOsaka

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:50 am

Thanks a lot! I'll check it out.

japester36

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Big thanks to alexeames, I followed the instructions to the letter, mounted a big USB disk and set about downloading.

The instructions for Debian were flawless and with a fast broadband connection it's really painless to download and convert to h-264 for future viewing.

Next project will be to set this up on a RaspBMC RC4 when it comes out then I can just ssh in and set it off to be stored on the USB disk ready for viewing.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:00 pm

japester36 wrote:Big thanks to alexeames, I followed the instructions to the letter, mounted a big USB disk and set about downloading.

The instructions for Debian were flawless and with a fast broadband connection it's really painless to download and convert to h-264 for future viewing.

Next project will be to set this up on a RaspBMC RC4 when it comes out then I can just ssh in and set it off to be stored on the USB disk ready for viewing.
You're welcome :) Someone left a comment a couple of days ago on the blog that they'd installed Get_iplayer on a RaspBMC distro. So it must be possible (I think it's a modified debian, so would be quite similar).

japester36

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Anyone tried this on the new Raspbian release?

I might have a go later if I get the time. I guess I just follow the Wheezy instructions and see if anything is missing from the new repo?

redhawk

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Get_iplayer is a great tool but I remember a while back I had to modify the scripts on my PC because it would randomly abort downloading HD content.

Is this still the case or the does get_iplayer tool work successfully every time??

Richard S.

redhawk

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Oops silly me I should have read that "however a random percentage into the video I get "ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet body."
I guess not :)

Richard S.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:15 pm

redhawk wrote:Oops silly me I should have read that "however a random percentage into the video I get "ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet body."
I guess not :)

Richard S.
I don't get that when using latest RTMPdump compiled natively on the Pi.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 pm

japester36 wrote:Anyone tried this on the new Raspbian release?

I might have a go later if I get the time. I guess I just follow the Wheezy instructions and see if anything is missing from the new repo?
I'm looking forward to trying that, but for the moment I can't get Raspbian online :cry:

redhawk

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Try the following patch it may work it may not but I've never had a drop out since on my PC.
Open get_iplayer.pl and find the following: bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf?revision=18269_21576
Change this to: bbc.co.uk/emp/revisions/18269_21576_10player.swf?revision=18269_21576

Richard S.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:56 pm

I've got get_iplayer working on Raspbian. The good news is it's easier. No need for FFMPEG compile as the hard float version has been done for us. :D

I've done a third version of the full instructions, specifically for Raspbian. You can find it here...
http://raspi.tv/2012/get_iplayer-instal ... h-raspbian

Enjoy :D

drgeoff

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:25 pm

alexeames wrote:I've got get_iplayer working on Raspbian. The good news is it's easier. No need for FFMPEG compile as the hard float version has been done for us. :D

I've done a third version of the full instructions, specifically for Raspbian. You can find it here...
http://raspi.tv/2012/get_iplayer-instal ... h-raspbian

Enjoy :D
Unfortunately this third version doesn't work properly for me. I had previous success with the second version on Debian-wheezy but following these instructions on a fresh raspian-wheezy gives an error, at least on radio programmes. It downloads the flv file OK:
Download complete
INFO: Command exit code 2 (raw code =4)
WARNING: flv conversion failed - retaining flv file
INFO: Recorded /home/get_iplayer?BBC_Proms_-2012 ...... _default.partial.aac.flv

I had used the second version earlier in the afternoon to successfully get the first and second parts of all the first five Proms. I then followed the third version instructions on a non-pristine installation of Raspian-wheezy that I already had on a different but identical 8 Gbyte SD card. When it failed on the first use, to get Prom 6 Part 1, I tried Part 2 with the same result. I then re-imaged the SD card and installed get_iplayer again as per version three instructions. Same failure.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

japester36

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:05 am

I'm getting similar as drgeoff, except mine just stops after the successful download of a program .flv file.

I think it's something to do with a bad install of ffmpeg as sudo apt-get install ffmpeg reported the following towards the end of the install

Code: Select all

Unpacking libavdevice54:armhf (from .../libavdevice54_7%3a0.11.1-dmo3_armhf.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package ffmpeg.
Unpacking ffmpeg (from .../ffmpeg_7%3a0.11.1-dmo3_armhf.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/ffmpeg_7%3a0.11.1-dmo3_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive
dpkg-deb (subprocess): data: internal bzip2 read error: 'DATA_ERROR'
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libavcodec54_7%3a0.11.1-dmo3_armhf.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/ffmpeg_7%3a0.11.1-dmo3_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Is this where the problem is?

japester36

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:44 am

OK, I finally got ffmpeg installed properly!

Now getting exactly the same problem as drgeoff, finishes after the download and fails to convert the .flv.

Download complete
INFO: Command exit code 2 (raw code = 4)
WARNING: flv conversion failed - retaining flv file
INFO: Recorded /mnt/maxtor/Doctor_Who_Series_6_-_12._Closing_Time_b0156hh8_default.partial.mp4.flv

INFO: Downloaded Thumbnail to '/mnt/maxtor/Doctor_Who_Series_6_-_12._Closing_Time_b0156hh8_default.jpg'
Thought I should let you know before I confused the issue further with my ffmpeg install issue.

redhawk

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:22 am

Why are you transcoding with ffmpeg iPlayer content (ripped with -raw) is already compatible with XBMC??

Richard S.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:51 am

There's one thing I did differently in my notes from that which I put on the blog. It was to do with the editing of the sources.list file. I didn't think it would make a difference but perhaps it does, since at least three people have reported issues. Will document it and report back. :D

Here's my raw notes from the point of starting to edit the sources.list file

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

add
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org wheezy main non-free

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
y
sudo apt-get update

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

comment out deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org wheezy main non-free
then add
deb-src http://www.deb-multimedia.org sid main
ctrl o
ctrl x

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libssl-dev librtmp-dev

it told me that libssl-dev already newest version
but installed a bunch of other dependencies

cd /home
sudo git clone git://git.ffmpeg.org/rtmpdump
cd rtmpdump
sudo make SYS=posix
sudo make install SYS=posix
cd /home

=================
sudo apt-get install libfaac-dev libmp3lame-dev libx264-dev libxvidcore-dev libgsm1-dev libtheora-dev libvorbis-dev
===================
UNABLE TO LOCATE PACKAGE LIBFAAC.DEV STALLED AT THAT POINT.

So, instead tried sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

--------------------
Have edited the blog to reflect exactly what I did from my notes. Hope it works for everyone now :)
Last edited by alexeames on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

drgeoff

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:57 am

redhawk wrote:Why are you transcoding with ffmpeg iPlayer content (ripped with -raw) is already compatible with XBMC??

Richard S.
I'm not transcoding. I want the 320kbit/s AAC file which will be played on various devices which include DLNA/UPnP clients and portable players and do not include XBMC. Just using the command line "./get_iplayer 1xxxxx --get" exactly the same as works on Debian wheezy.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:37 pm

redhawk wrote:Why are you transcoding with ffmpeg iPlayer content (ripped with -raw) is already compatible with XBMC??

Richard S.
Maybe he wants to use it on a different device? I generally let the defaults convert video to .mp4, but I believe that's remuxing rather than transcoding. I might watch my output on three different devices, all of which can do mp4, but only one of which can do .flv The remux is generally much faster than the download - even on a very fast connection - and since the Pi uses so little power, you can leave it on while you do something else. I haven't tried a radio programme yet.

drgeoff

Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:48 pm

alexeames wrote: Have edited the blog to reflect exactly what I did from my notes. Hope it works for everyone now :)
I re-imaged the SD card and followed the revised instructions. Success :) .

The instructions would benefit from a couple of minor tidy-ups where they still reflect the previous situation:

1. There is only one error message, the GPG one and not the duplicate sources one.
2. The third edit of sources.list still refers to commenting out the two added lines even though the first one was commented out during the second editing visit.

Thanks.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:07 pm

drgeoff wrote:
alexeames wrote: Have edited the blog to reflect exactly what I did from my notes. Hope it works for everyone now :)
I re-imaged the SD card and followed the revised instructions. Success :) .

The instructions would benefit from a couple of minor tidy-ups where they still reflect the previous situation:

1. There is only one error message, the GPG one and not the duplicate sources one.
2. The third edit of sources.list still refers to commenting out the two added lines even though the first one was commented out during the second editing visit.

Thanks.
Thank you, I've implemented those changes. :) Very glad it worked this time around. (A bit relieved too :lol: )

It looks as if it might have taken FFMPEG from the wrong source when the sources.list edits were done in the wrong order.

japester36

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Can report that my install is now working well after using the edited instructions for Raspbian.

Just downloaded an HD 90 min programme. Worked flawlessly from start to finish.

Cheers guys.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Looks like the sequence of the sources.list edits is a lot more crucial than I thought. But delighted it's now working as it should on Raspbian. :D I've now backed up my SD card image as I had some issues getting going with Raspbian and I don't want to go there again. :lol:

mikerr

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Yep, thanks alex - installed following your instructions on raspbian, with no problems whatsoever.

I'd held off earlier as I didn't fancy the 3.5hour compile of ffmpeg, but noticed binaries are available now so bit the bullet.

Now downloading a few programmes.

Since these are big files, its best left off the SD card, and since its on the network anyway for downloading, may as well use the windows WHS box:
- I use a samba share on a windows machine to store everything, and get_iplayer uses that for all its downloading and storage, without touching the SD card:

mkdir /tmp/windows
sudo mount -t cifs -o username=administrator,password=secret1  //192.168.1.4/shared /tmp/windows
sudo ./get_iplayer --output=/tmp/windows --get Formula_1 --modes=best
omxplayer /tmp/windows/Formula_1*
secret1 is not actually my password BTW!
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Nice one Mike, thanks for sharing that. I normally use either a flash drive or external HDD, as the SD card is quite small and slow but will look into SAMBA as the whole Pi and get_iplayer experience has interested me in the idea of networked storage ;)

I suspect that the 3.5 hour compile for the latest FFMPEG may not have been absolutely necessary and that the errors I'd experienced may have been due to older versions of RTMPDUMP. But it was an educational experience :lol:

Return to “Media centres”