Warble

VNC Gaming Client

Fri May 25, 2012 9:38 am

I've been looking for a solution to connecting my desktop machine to the television in the living room for the purposes of gaming. The obvious choice to simply connect the two together with a HDMI cable, and while both television and computer are in the same room, the wife wouldn't appreciate the 5 - 10 meter cable required in plain sight.

Now I have my Raspberry Pi, I think I have the solution; a VNC client. The main issue I can think of is the response time over the network. Input latency can be removed by simply using a keyboard-mouse / gamepad connected the computer rather than the Pi.

I have little experience with VNC so it might be that it simply isn't suitable for what I require (a low response time). Does anyone have any thoughts / experiences on this topic? This is my project for this weekend so I will post my successes / failures.

nadnerb

Re: VNC Gaming Client

Fri May 25, 2012 12:22 pm

From the few times I've used VNC I don't think I'd even want to play Tetris remotely as it's just not quick enough.

Perhaps look at wireless HDMI setups?

frying_fish

Re: VNC Gaming Client

Fri May 25, 2012 1:20 pm

You would definitely struggle with latency and lack of screen updates using VNC. I think wireless HDMI would be a better option. Or, purchase a long HDMI cable and put it behind some trunking or on the skirting boards.

Return to “Media centres”