miryokuteki

Belkin F7D2101 (aka Crap)

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:40 am

I've got a Belkin Surf 'n Share (F7D2101) USB Wifi adapter that has been giving me fits since the first try; To clarify, I am using a model A RPi, a powered USB hub (GearHead, 4 port) and have tried running OpenELEC and Raspbmc (both the network install and offline versions) and still this adapter is causing all kinds of frustration. It works just fine on a Win7/Ubuntu dual-boot box, but when I connect it to either the RPi or a different Ubuntu desktop (my current media center), it just disconnects after a few seconds of use. After reading through GREP (or dmesg, whichever) logs, it seems that the Ubuntu system is running into a "MIC Michael" error and causes the router to perceive that it is under attack, thus triggering the router to kick all wireless connections for 1min. This same thing happens on the RPi, I've just not confirmed the error through the logs (though it behaves the same and causes the exact same symptoms).

I've several other devices that use wifi and work with absolutely no trouble, so as far as I can tell, my router is not the source of the issue. But, noting that the Belkin adapter works just fine on a different system and 2 different OS's, I'm inclined to believe it's a configuration issue causing this. Is it perhaps that the Pi's date not being set from the network is causing the router to panic and throw a security exception? I've tried with the adapter plugged into both the powered hub (as well as a non-powered hub) and the RPi directly (during the Raspbmc installer, as no keyboard was required and I've only the one port), same results.

I'm about ready to pull my hair out over this, as it makes no sense... Should I just get a different Wifi adapter (TRENDA, specifically, at Microcenter) and/or drop the powered hub (exchanging it for the wifi adapter, if it is indeed not necessary for this particular adapter)? I don't want to have to make more than 1 additional trip back to the store, it's a good 30mins away and I'm broke as hell. haha --- I would greatly appreciate any input on this. Thanks for your time and I apologize for the lengthy post. :-D

DougieLawson

Re: Belkin F7D2101 (aka Crap)

Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:37 pm

Do you know what chipset your Belkin badged adapter is using?

What do you get from lsusb?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

miryokuteki

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Problem resolved... I'm not sure what chipset it uses, I just gave in and returned the powered hub for a different wifi adapter (Tenda), which seems to work perfectly fine. Now I'm running into pixelated/laggy images during playback of a non-HD video over USB (to eliminate potential network lags), overclocking only seems to reduce the effect only slightly (in both OpenELEC and Raspbmc). I guess my RPi just can't hack being a media center device, so until I can buy the 512MB model, I guess I'm sticking to my Ubuntu desktop for playback. Alas, thanks for replying!

Forrrge

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:21 am

I've got the original 256 MB model and it works fantastically well. I'm using openELEC through noobs. However instead of using a wifi adapter I'm using a powerline adapter and then my Raspberry Pi is plugged in direct via the ethernet, therefore networks speeds are good and the video is delivered quickly with no pixelation.

It sounds as if you're not getting good speeds using your wifi which will effect video a lot. You could also try copy a video file direct to a USB stick and play it from there to see what the quality is like.

miryokuteki

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:03 am

Thanks for your input, though as mentioned in my previous post, I tried playing a file off of a USB drive specifically to eliminate the possibility of bandwidth issues causing the pixelation... Alas, the videos pixelate whether I play files from a USB drive or stream via wifi. :-(

Return to “Media centres”