flipz0r

Re: Raspbmc Distribution now in Beta

Sun May 27, 2012 5:21 pm

milhouse wrote:
flipz0r wrote:Hey!

Just a quick question for u lads.
When I want to turn off my Pi with raspbmc on, should i just pull out the powercable or is there a better way of doing it? SSH?

Cheers
Power off via the GUI (power button bottom left in main menu), wait until the system has halted then yank the power cable. If you're using a remote control that has an On/Off button, you might be able to power off via the remote (depending on configuration).
Thank you!

btw do u know any good n cheap bluetooth remote that works with this build?

milhouse

Sun May 27, 2012 5:26 pm

flipz0r wrote: btw do u know any good n cheap bluetooth remote that works with this build?
I don't know of any that work - the OpenELEC developers have always been anti BT support, claiming Linux support is somewhat flakey, so I was surprised to see it mentioned in the release notes for the Pi build.

As such I've never tried to get a BT remote setup with OpenELEC. As for BT remotes, the cheapest (and most likely to be supported) is the Sony Playstation 3 Blu-Ray remote control. Of course you'll need a BT dongle and there are plenty out there for just a few pounds... which one works though, I've no idea.

If anyone comes across any documentation for configuring a BT remote+dongle in OpenELEC (or Raspbmc) I'd be interested - I have a couple of BT dongles and a spare PS3 remote control sitting here... :)

Xero Xenith

Sun May 27, 2012 11:25 pm

milhouse wrote:
flipz0r wrote: btw do u know any good n cheap bluetooth remote that works with this build?
I don't know of any that work - the OpenELEC developers have always been anti BT support, claiming Linux support is somewhat flakey, so I was surprised to see it mentioned in the release notes for the Pi build.

As such I've never tried to get a BT remote setup with OpenELEC. As for BT remotes, the cheapest (and most likely to be supported) is the Sony Playstation 3 Blu-Ray remote control. Of course you'll need a BT dongle and there are plenty out there for just a few pounds... which one works though, I've no idea.

If anyone comes across any documentation for configuring a BT remote+dongle in OpenELEC (or Raspbmc) I'd be interested - I have a couple of BT dongles and a spare PS3 remote control sitting here... :)
I just got me one of these (←link!). Feedback from other users says they work well for the basics but notably the Volume Down button does not function. (Sorry, it's clearly not Bluetooth :P but it'll do the job for me...)

s7mx1

Mon May 28, 2012 9:03 am

Unless xbmc can integrate bt pairing there will be no bt device support. If you are desperate enough you can use pair bluetooth devices from command line but trust me you don't want go there.

I really hate bluetooth device's power saving "features" and the need to pair before using. Get a decent 2.4G wireless keyboard/mouse/remote will save you a lot frustrations later on.

mce remote is actually very nice and they are not expensive as well.
milhouse wrote:

nadnerb

Mon May 28, 2012 9:59 am

Anyone have issues playing 5.1 AC3 audio?
My setup is Pi to Samsung TV via HDMI and streaming media from NAS. Pass-through AC3/DTS are turned off and output 2.0 to all speakers is on.

When I play a file with 5.1 it freezes every 3-10 seconds for a second and then resumes.
It's not a network issue as I can stream other 720p and 1080p video without issues.
I assume it is struggling to decode the audio quick enough?

Is there anything else I can try besides remuxing all my files?

Also, what dirty region settings do people find best to use with Raspbmc?

nicstoun

Mon May 28, 2012 8:22 pm

I find this today and i think is reorganize how to standard keyboard ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Wireless ... 9858758269

rosietastic

Tue May 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Nadnerb - yes, I have experienced exactly the same from my 1080p 5.1 AC3 audio material with the options you have mentioned.

I tried all dirtyregions settings on raspbmc and saw no improvement.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 29, 2012 2:39 pm

rosietastic wrote:I tried all dirtyregions settings on raspbmc and saw no improvement.
Dirty rectangles don't speed up the GUI. They reduce CPU consumption.
ssh in and run top to see how busy the CPU is. I found it was close to 100% without dirty rectangles and below 50% with dirty rectangles.

The main benefit of lower CPU is backround tasks like scanning your media library, or using a remote app are quicker.

dom

Tue May 29, 2012 2:43 pm

nadnerb wrote:Anyone have issues playing 5.1 AC3 audio?
My setup is Pi to Samsung TV via HDMI and streaming media from NAS. Pass-through AC3/DTS are turned off and output 2.0 to all speakers is on.
The ARM is not really powerful enough to decode multichannel audio.
Using audio passthrough would fix your problem.

I generally find lower bitrate files (e.g. 720p web-dl) are normally okay with ARM decoding 5.1 channel audio, but 1080p is too much.
Overclocking will help (but not enough to play high bitrate 1080p with ARM decoding audio).

Hopefully there will be a codec pack available soon which allows the GPU to decode the audio, and that will be another solution.

rey

Tue May 29, 2012 3:02 pm

Will that coded pack cost money?

nicstoun

Tue May 29, 2012 3:46 pm

i hope have and other solutions about 1080p audio decoding .. Arduino help with DSP chip .... http://www.openmusiclabs.com/projects/codec-shield/

nadnerb

Tue May 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks Dom. Kinda what I was expecting.
I enabled AC3 passthrough as I realised my TV can play these same files natively via it's own media player. This reduced CPU from about 90% to around 60% and playback was fine. But then tried on another video and CPU was still really high and video stuttered.

There's something odd going on though...
Boot raspbmc and leave to idle on homescreen and CPU is about 30-40%
Play a video or browse library then go back to homescreen and leave to idle - CPU stays at about 90% and doesn't drop.

I need to do some more experimenting I think.

Also, I'm sure I read on some topic somewhere one of the guys from XBMC said dirty regions doesn't do anything for the Pi yet.

zippity

Tue May 29, 2012 3:56 pm

rey wrote:Will that coded pack cost money?
It would most definitely cost money, unless the RPi Foundation was feeling really generous. Codec licenses are expensive.

s7mx1

Tue May 29, 2012 4:11 pm

Could you try the 1080p "full movie" from the download link below:
http://www.sintel.org/download

I had better luck playing it over NFS share (no digital audio pass-through).
nadnerb wrote:Thanks Dom. Kinda what I was expecting.
I enabled AC3 passthrough as I realised my TV can play these same files natively via it's own media player. This reduced CPU from about 90% to around 60% and playback was fine. But then tried on another video and CPU was still really high and video stuttered.

There's something odd going on though...
Boot raspbmc and leave to idle on homescreen and CPU is about 30-40%
Play a video or browse library then go back to homescreen and leave to idle - CPU stays at about 90% and doesn't drop.

I need to do some more experimenting I think.

Also, I'm sure I read on some topic somewhere one of the guys from XBMC said dirty regions doesn't do anything for the Pi yet.

skooby

Tue May 29, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi all,

Just got my pi and installed raspbmc latest version. At the moment I have attached a usb hard drive with my movie files on it and they play very well. One problem I have (due to my ignorance) is how to get the movie scraper running on those files? I see the scraper is enabled and I also tried the imdb one but still no joy.
Any ideas?

Skooby

nadnerb

Tue May 29, 2012 8:51 pm

s7mx1 wrote:Could you try the 1080p "full movie" from the download link below:
http://www.sintel.org/download

I had better luck playing it over NFS share (no digital audio pass-through).
I just gave that video a try.

1080p streamed via NFS wired from a NAS drive and pass-through off - it paused a few times in the first 30 secs and I think one of them was for buffering since the menu appeared. After that it seemed to play quite well, even when skipping ahead. CPU was in the range of 80-90%

With pass-through on and everything else the same it played without hiccups with CPU ranging from 30-50%

I then tried a 720p video I was having trouble with yesterday with pass-through off and it played fine, no pauses.
The only difference from yesterday AFAIK was there were no peripherals plugged in today, while yesterday there was a wired keyboard and an IR dongle.

Maybe it's very temperamental with its power. I have a 1.2A supply btw.

nadnerb

Tue May 29, 2012 8:56 pm

skooby wrote:Hi all,

Just got my pi and installed raspbmc latest version. At the moment I have attached a usb hard drive with my movie files on it and they play very well. One problem I have (due to my ignorance) is how to get the movie scraper running on those files? I see the scraper is enabled and I also tried the imdb one but still no joy.
Any ideas?

Skooby
Goto the video option on the main menu, then Files and add source.
Add in the path to your hard drive and it will then ask you what is the content type.
Choose your scraper and set the option to automatically scan then press OK.
It should then scan and either Movies or TV Shows menu will appear on the homescreen depending on what you scanned.
It's something along those lines anyway, I dont have XBMC in front of me atm.

robwriter

Tue May 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Just want to add my thanks for this. It works really well - within a few minutes of booting I was watching iPlayer, and with the TVCatchUp plug in, I may just about be able to live with the Pi not decoding MPEG2.

thetechy

Tue May 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Just got Raspbmc up and running in conjunction with the XMBC Android app, just the app haven't tried anything too clever like a vid :) Got to say, very impressed so far.

dom

Wed May 30, 2012 9:26 am

Yes. Not for R-Pi or Broadcom. The money would go to the MPLA for licensing.
I'm hoping for Mpeg2+VC1+AC3+DTS in a pack for under $10.
That should allow DVD and Bluray to be decoded (and will help other files that use these).

welshblob

Wed May 30, 2012 11:55 am

dom wrote:
Yes. Not for R-Pi or Broadcom. The money would go to the MPLA for licensing.
I'm hoping for Mpeg2+VC1+AC3+DTS in a pack for under $10.
That should allow DVD and Bluray to be decoded (and will help other files that use these).
I would really like this to happen but given your knowledge of the Pi would it be possible to stop piracy of that codec pack?

Rob

dom

Wed May 30, 2012 11:45 pm

welshblob wrote: I would really like this to happen but given your knowledge of the Pi would it be possible to stop piracy of that codec pack?
I don't think there's every been an antipiracy measure that hasn't been defeated by a sufficiently motivated foe.
However, the fact the code runs on an obscure GPU means we could make things pretty hard to crack.
Given an app store where the codecs are signed to match your serial number for example.

relentlessgeek

Thu May 31, 2012 7:54 am

skooby wrote:Hi all,

Any ideas?

Skooby
I found this Lifehacker post - http://lifehacker.com/5536963/the-ultim ... dia-center - very useful for setting up XBMC. Just skip over the bits about choosing a platform etc. We already have that :D One of the links is to a separate post - http://lifehacker.com/5505849/how-to-wh ... -and-boxee - that explains how to arrange your media and maintain it using something like Media Companion.

nanolimit

Thu May 31, 2012 10:54 am

Loving the release, finally finished scraping in 14TB of data.

Main purpose of this post was to ask if this build has a built in updater? Or will the sd card need to be wiped and updated for each release?

sam nazarko

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:59 pm

built in but you will need to update for RC and release because we have a different root file system for each release and creating an upgrade path would make maintenance hard

Return to “Media centres”