sam nazarko

Re: Raspbmc Distribution now in Beta

Tue May 22, 2012 4:01 pm

tomassp wrote:Hi guys

been trialling both raspbmc and openelec, raspbmc does seem faster. the gui is quicker and using the iplayer plugin seem to get through the levels quicker.

Both have about the same boot time from cold for me about 46/47 seconds. I have no media added.

I have two problems with both builds though. I cant open any iplayer streams or 40d/demand5/itv either. Ive tried adjusting the stream settings on the iplayer addon to no avail. Has anyone got this working and if so how?

My second issue seems to be being experience by quite a few. The edimax ew-7811 usb dongle with realtek chip. The drivers dont seem to be included in either build. oh and as an aside how do you set up wifi settings in raspbmc?
can probably take 46 secs to 35 with some update system optimisation.

wifi is not confirmed atm I don't remember the kernel confs I used for Wifi.

I can tell you I have made the UI a fair amount faster than it is.

HDMI blanking might be fixed in new start.elf blobs, otherwise its an EDID issue, try a different TV (not a solution I know, but it can show us where the cause might be)

Cheers

conoro

Tue May 22, 2012 6:50 pm

I tried 720p and 1080p files on a Samsung LCD TV (FullHD). It blanked once after about a minute on both of them but that seemed to be it. I didn't notice it again. A big improvement over the LG Monitor :)

gingernator

Tue May 22, 2012 10:18 pm

http://www.element14.com/community/docs ... er-modules

I'm liking the performance of this release so well done matey.

Would it be possible to include the staging driver modules like Fedora and Arch, this would make the distro more usb wifi friendly? I have a Asus N10 which uses the RTL8188SU chip and getting to work under debian is tedious to say the least.

aperry

Wed May 23, 2012 1:01 am

I have two MCE infrared receivers (USB Based) and neither seems to be registering with raspbmc. According to the Wiki this should work out of the box, but I can't seem to get it to work at all. I can see that the receiver is powered and receiving the signal (red light blinks when it receives a signal) but it doesn't do anything in the UI. Any ideas? Is there any further configuration that I need to do?

Thanks,
Aaron

abishur

Wed May 23, 2012 1:22 am

aperry wrote:I have two MCE infrared receivers (USB Based) and neither seems to be registering with raspbmc. According to the Wiki this should work out of the box, but I can't seem to get it to work at all. I can see that the receiver is powered and receiving the signal (red light blinks when it receives a signal) but it doesn't do anything in the UI. Any ideas? Is there any further configuration that I need to do?

Thanks,
Aaron
I had this same issue with regular XBMC, the issue at hand is that they took support for the MCE receiver out of LIRC and moved it into the linux kernel, but the R-pi uses a streamlined kernel of which the USBMCE module is not a part of. I *believe* the solution is to recompile the kernel with MCE support... or at least that would be where to start for the solution ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

aperry

Wed May 23, 2012 1:35 am

abishur wrote:
I had this same issue with regular XBMC, the issue at hand is that they took support for the MCE receiver out of LIRC and moved it into the linux kernel, but the R-pi uses a streamlined kernel of which the USBMCE module is not a part of. I *believe* the solution is to recompile the kernel with MCE support... or at least that would be where to start for the solution ;-)
Interesting, thanks for this info. I'm surprised that it would be stated as "works out of the box" in the raspbmc wiki if it's a fundamental issue with the kernel that's provided. Or maybe I'm not understanding this correctly? (or maybe I should be more patient since it's still beta!)

I know that these work with openelec, FWIW. I'm hoping to test drive the speed improvements with raspbmc, but can't really use a regular mouse because of the way my home theater is configured.

Any idea if there an XML entry I can manually add using SSH that will enable the web server remote control setting (which enables the smartphone apps)?

Thanks!
Aaron

milhouse

Wed May 23, 2012 3:24 am

I would warn against anyone following the instructions for the Hama MCE Remote (<--link) as it totally stopped mine from working until I reverted the changes ("sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/hama_mce.rules" and rebooting is sufficient).

abishur

Wed May 23, 2012 3:26 am

aperry wrote:
abishur wrote:
Interesting, thanks for this info. I'm surprised that it would be stated as "works out of the box" in the raspbmc wiki if it's a fundamental issue with the kernel that's provided. Or maybe I'm not understanding this correctly? (or maybe I should be more patient since it's still beta!)

I know that these work with openelec, FWIW. I'm hoping to test drive the speed improvements with raspbmc, but can't really use a regular mouse because of the way my home theater is configured.

Any idea if there an XML entry I can manually add using SSH that will enable the web server remote control setting (which enables the smartphone apps)?

Thanks!
Aaron
To be fair, for all I know they're using a specially compiled kernel that has that built into it and there's a secondary reason for the failure ;-) All I can tell you is the issues I ran into when trying to get my MCE remote and usb receiver to work correctly with the pi
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

rbn

Wed May 23, 2012 8:24 am

RussIT wrote:I tried a few , two of them stayed on 0% but the youtube one worked fine and played youtube videos quite well. I'd like to know if theres a bbc iplayer /itv /ch4 plugin available?
I had this too. The iPlyaer.zip installed OK and works well, but I can't get other zips to install and show in XBMC, and loading stays at 0% when loading via XBMC.
Otherwise works well, and install was no problem on a PNY 8GB 20Mb/s card

conoro

Wed May 23, 2012 9:09 am

aperry wrote:I have two MCE infrared receivers (USB Based) and neither seems to be registering with raspbmc. According to the Wiki this should work out of the box, but I can't seem to get it to work at all. I can see that the receiver is powered and receiving the signal (red light blinks when it receives a signal) but it doesn't do anything in the UI. Any ideas? Is there any further configuration that I need to do?

Thanks,
Aaron
I've tried a generic MCE remote on both Raspbmc and OpenElec.

In the latter case it worked but had disastrous problems with key presses being detected multiple times etc, so it was unusable. On Raspbmc, the basic mouse keys and play/pause work but when I toggle the mouse keys to up/down/left/right/ok mode (my preferred method of using XMBC), it stops working.

rey

Wed May 23, 2012 10:22 am

My remote works fine on OpenElec but not on Raspbmc Sam's aware of the issues.

aperry

Wed May 23, 2012 11:14 am

Hi guys, thanks for all the help and info regarding the MCE remote. At least it sounds like I'm not alone!

I'll just wait for the next build and try again. This looks like a promising project. Thanks to the contributors for all their hard work!

Aaron

s7mx1

Feedback

Wed May 23, 2012 11:27 am

Generally very happy with raspbmc especially the much faster python addon speed which is lacking in openelec.

Some suggestions:
* swap partition is too large. This can cause substantial delay at boot time when it try to add swap. I would suggest reduce swap partition from 500MB to 128MB and increase the boot partition (this is very important if you want to have multi-distribution on one sd card)
* a proper start/stop script should be written for xbmc instead of putting in /etc/rc.local. I have written one and if you want I can upload somewhere. HOME variable is not set and this caused user data to be saved in /.xbmc and you will find some addon may not work without HOME variable set.

jochemin

Thu May 24, 2012 6:30 am

I've installed Raspbmc and everything seems to be ok, but when the main screen appears and I try to move, the keyboard doesn't respond well. When I press --> in the screen appear several symbols but I can't move anything... :x

felix123

Thu May 24, 2012 6:41 am

Quite good!
I do have a problem with Chinese fonts missing though.
Eg the youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/FTVCP
The place where the title is supposed to be is empty

felix123

Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 am

There's a pop in the analog audio output each time I pause/play

thelini

Fri May 25, 2012 12:32 pm

Having the MMC errors on 2 cards (Sandisk 2gb class 2 and and samsung 8gb class 4 microsd in adapter). Both cards work great with debian

Should have another card tonight to try it on.

aperry

Fri May 25, 2012 3:54 pm

I get the SD card errors almost every time I restart. Eventually they stop and it seems to work normally after that.

My biggest issue is still Lirc, which I cannot get to start. It definitely seems related to missing modules (including lirc-dev, and lirc-mceusb). Unfortunately you need the kernel headers to compile these modules and they don't seem to be available.

I've been controlling raspbmc with my iPhone, which generally works great. I'm impressed with the performance and beginning to feel that the raspi could be a legitimate replacement for my Boxee Box (which warms my house with its 20 watts).

Aaron

BenHarris90

Sat May 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi all,

I successfully managed to get the beta installed on my PNY Optima 16GB SD card, although had the mmc errors during installation.

It all seems to be running smoothly on my 23" Samsung monitor. Just a few comments:
1) When I unplug my keyboard/mouse from the USB port and plug it back in, it is not recognised (it is on my Debian install).
2) I don't seem to be able to use my WiFi adapter. Not sure if the driver is installed by default (RTL8187L Chipset)

Ben

DJ_Enigma

Sat May 26, 2012 11:32 pm

Hiya,

This is quality :)

One thing I would really like to be able to do is to have it work with my Rii Mini Bluetooth KeyBoard.

That would be absolutely brilliant! Any idea if this is possible? I wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks,

DJ

sam nazarko

Sun May 27, 2012 4:15 am

Just dropping in to say

Updated installer and release kernel to hopefully fix mmc issues, also deploying headers in the new kernel which will auto installer if you reboot your beta install. This will let us get some remotes and wifi dongles going.

BenHarris90

Sun May 27, 2012 8:14 am

Hi Sam

Great work! Will this be pushed through as an auto update or should we re-install?

I also ran into another few issues last night:
1) without modifying my config.txt, xbmc was just showing a black screen after the boot output but before the Raspbmc logo. It's a 42" 1080p Panasonic Viera.

2) after modifying the overscan in the config, the boot text displayed perfectly, and so did xbmc after the video calibration, but it basically added overscan over xbmc after playing a video clip.

3) after a while fiddling with the video, the audio stopped working. I'm pretty sure a reboot fixed it

Cheers

milhouse

Sun May 27, 2012 11:16 am

BenHarris90 wrote:Hi Sam

Great work! Will this be pushed through as an auto update or should we re-install?
No auto update. You can download the Raspbmc beta with updated installer from the link in this thread which may reduce or eliminate the mmc timeouts (they seemed reduced on my Transcend 4GB Class 10). Note however that only the installer has been updated - the XBMC Beta is otherwise the same so if you've successfully installed Raspbmc there's little point testing this updated installer (unless you want to).

flipz0r

Sun May 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Hey!

Just a quick question for u lads.
When I want to turn off my Pi with raspbmc on, should i just pull out the powercable or is there a better way of doing it? SSH?

Cheers

milhouse

Sun May 27, 2012 5:04 pm

flipz0r wrote:Hey!

Just a quick question for u lads.
When I want to turn off my Pi with raspbmc on, should i just pull out the powercable or is there a better way of doing it? SSH?

Cheers
Power off via the GUI (power button bottom left in main menu), wait until the system has halted then yank the power cable. If you're using a remote control that has an On/Off button, you might be able to power off via the remote (depending on configuration).

Return to “Media centres”