LastSilmaril

Re: Raspbmc Distribution now in Beta

Mon May 21, 2012 5:04 pm

milhouse wrote: ', but it's also exhibiting the same "sepia" colours in thumbnails, and the missing thumbnails/fanart problem (OMX timeouts), also browsing by thumbnails beyond the first 10-15 movies is almost impossible (GUI hangs/freezes, the missing thumbs/fanart etc.) so using it for any length of time in anger is next to impossible (just saying, I know it's only a beta!)'
So it seems like this stuff is an issue with xbmc, partially to do with the myvideos63 db and partially to do with some new image related stuff. I've still got a good working image of r10995, which uses myvideos61 and doesn't move thumbnail url storage into myvideos and worked fine with pathsubstitution for thumbnails.
As for Raspbmc, I like that the startup sequences actually tells us what's going on, but don't really know what's fly structurally - it would be nice to know where the xbmc settings and such are.

rey

Mon May 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Settings are /.xbmc/

sam nazarko

Mon May 21, 2012 6:47 pm

From the technical side, all OS details are here:

http://raspbmc.com/wiki/technical

milhouse

Mon May 21, 2012 8:11 pm

sam nazarko wrote:@milhouse - Raspbmc doesn't use old firmware, the installer does. That is why you will notice that after install, all the issues are gone. If that's the case, then it means I just need to update the installer firmware in time for release.
Thanks for the clarification, Sam. You're correct that I haven't noticed any mmc0 issues once the system is installed.

abishur

Mon May 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Is there a way to install this apart from the installer? I get a ton of mmc0 errors while it's installing, and then as a result it kernel panics after installing, I've tried multiple times now. I'd like to give it a shot though.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

LastSilmaril

Mon May 21, 2012 10:10 pm

rey wrote:Settings are /.xbmc/
Aha, I didn't see it before because it wasn't created yet; right right right

Anyway, one update on SD issues - I'm still getting this:

Code: Select all

mmc0: final write to SD card still running
mmc0:Timeout wating for hardware interrupt - cmd12.
mmcblk0: error - 110 sending stop command, original cmd response 0x900, card status -0x900
Over and over again. However, the blank screen I thought was there after the blue installer screen, actually wasn't - I hit a key on the keyboard and all the messages showed up, along with a progressive line for something (writing the swap file? installing stuff? not sure). It's at 95% now (turned it on over an hour ago) so let's see if I'll get to a usable environment!

EDIT: LOL, now 'installing root filesystem', let's see how long that one'll take.
This is all on a Kingston 8GB card that many people here are actually recommending:
http://goo.gl/wNRis (amazon)
I suppose I'll try testing on more cards as they come in; the firmware team is working on it:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... ues#p80028
Good deal today, no idea if it'll work:
http://goo.gl/HC0gz

LastSilmaril

Mon May 21, 2012 10:51 pm

No joy with the Kingston. On reboot (after a blue screen having declared the installation process successful) it gets stuck on file system errors. Asks me for root password so I could shell in and maybe fix things but both 'root' and 'raspberrypi' don't work. The other option is to do CTRL+D to continue, but that ends up in INIT making all sorts of complaints and nothing interesting happening. I guess it's back to waiting/trying out other cards...

LastSilmaril

Mon May 21, 2012 11:35 pm

LastSilmaril wrote: but that ends up in INIT making all sorts of complaints and nothing interesting happening
In particular those complaints are a whole bunch of
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/getty"
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
at which point it pauses for five minutes before filling up with the /sbin/getty messages and then pausing for another 5 minutes.

Ogoshi

Tue May 22, 2012 5:29 am

For those in the UK, I have rasbmc installed on this.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electro ... oduct.html

It's actually a class 6 that turned up, but it works perfectly fine. First boot took about 5 minutes including the updates.

Not bad for £3.29!

Hansel

Tue May 22, 2012 6:24 am

Right, has anyone got the MySQL stuff working on this yet?

I've just worked out where to copy the advancedsettings.xml (/opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/share/xbmc/userdata), but after a reboot it doesn't seem to have picked anything up.

milhouse

Tue May 22, 2012 6:28 am

Hansel wrote:Right, has anyone got the MySQL stuff working on this yet?

I've just worked out where to copy the advancedsettings.xml, but after a reboot it doesn't seem to have picked anything up.
Worked for me - picked up the metadata I'd previously created with OpenELEC (a myvideos63 database), then Raspbmc automatically grabbed whatever thumbnails it required from the internet (to build its texture cache).

Have you got any errors in your log (/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log)?

Hansel

Tue May 22, 2012 6:36 am

milhouse wrote:
Hansel wrote:Right, has anyone got the MySQL stuff working on this yet?

I've just worked out where to copy the advancedsettings.xml, but after a reboot it doesn't seem to have picked anything up.
Worked for me - picked up the metadata I'd previously created with OpenELEC (a myvideos63 database), then Raspbmc automatically grabbed whatever thumbnails it required from the internet (to build its texture cache).

Have you got any errors in your log (/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log)?
Haven't checked the log, I'll do that in a sec, but it seems I have a myvideos61, not 63. Perhaps I'll try renaming it.

Hansel

Tue May 22, 2012 6:40 am

Ok, checked the log and found this:

NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml)

Have I copied it to the wrong location?

EDIT: Yup :)
Last edited by Hansel on Tue May 22, 2012 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

milhouse

Tue May 22, 2012 6:43 am

Hansel wrote:Ok, checked the log and found this:

Location should /.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml - in the same directory as guisettings.xml.

Hansel

Tue May 22, 2012 6:47 am

milhouse wrote:
Hansel wrote:Ok, checked the log and found this:

Location should /.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml - in the same directory as guisettings.xml.
Yep, that did it :)

Thanks ;)

Theladdie

Tue May 22, 2012 7:14 am

I am a little confused on installing using mac osx...

I have an SD card and I ran the command but I am not getting anywhere?

Dangelus

Tue May 22, 2012 7:46 am

I am very optimistic about Raspbmc. Fantastic job so far, very responsive and performance is good. :D

tomassp

Tue May 22, 2012 9:25 am

Hi guys

been trialling both raspbmc and openelec, raspbmc does seem faster. the gui is quicker and using the iplayer plugin seem to get through the levels quicker.

Both have about the same boot time from cold for me about 46/47 seconds. I have no media added.

I have two problems with both builds though. I cant open any iplayer streams or 40d/demand5/itv either. Ive tried adjusting the stream settings on the iplayer addon to no avail. Has anyone got this working and if so how?

My second issue seems to be being experience by quite a few. The edimax ew-7811 usb dongle with realtek chip. The drivers dont seem to be included in either build. oh and as an aside how do you set up wifi settings in raspbmc?

Dapa

Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 am

How reliable are people finding the latest beta? I'm finding it crashes frequently and on every occasion when trying to change the region.

rey

Tue May 22, 2012 10:58 am

No issues here! Only crash I've had so far is when I overclocked my Pi too much.

Hansel

Tue May 22, 2012 11:01 am

I've had a few crashes, plus a lot of my thumbs/fan art is missing or scrambled.

Plan on reinstalling tomorrow.

pedley

Tue May 22, 2012 11:01 am

rey wrote:No issues here! Only crash I've had so far is when I overclocked my Pi too much.
How far did you manage to overclock without crashing?

abishur

Tue May 22, 2012 11:55 am

I had crashing problems too. It crashed when I tried to look at system info and it crashed again after a random amount of time just idling. But it also took me 4 tries for it to install on my SD card so maybe that's related.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

welshblob

Tue May 22, 2012 11:59 am

Dapa wrote:How reliable are people finding the latest beta? I'm finding it crashes frequently and on every occasion when trying to change the region.
Isn't this the only beta released so far ;-)

I've had various crashes / hangs / odd things resulting in ...

Black screen - xbmc process has crashed and reboot requireed: I believe this happened intermittently when using the Vevo addon
Error and dumped back to command prompt : Once again Vevo addon but when in the middle of streaming a video. (error for this logged at home)
GUI Hang - this might not actually be a hang but I have noticed this when moving around my music folders. xbmc bin is still running and using 90 - 95% CPU so it could be scanning the media (~10 mp3s) but it was taking ages so I rebooted the times this happened. I might try leaving it for a while.
At times when coming to the end of a video it will take a good 10 - 20 secs to return to the menu .... defo seen on Vevo addon but think its happened on other vids too.
mp3 playback is buggy in that some tracks will just mute themselves and then scan through the track very quickly onto the next one.

My experiences so far.

Rob

I've got some logs / errors at home that I'll post up later and probably put this on Sam's forum too.

conoro

Tue May 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Fantastic work! I found OpenElec unusably slow in the GUI but this is quite snappy. Running on a 16GB Class 10. I had all those card errors during install but it seems fine now.

Tried a variety of sources. Most work fine (AVI, 480p MP4 etc). All streamed over SMB on wired network and played on a HDMI 1080p monitor.

However I am seeing the issue of the screen blanking every 20 seconds or so on 720p MKVs which was in some of the first RPi XBMC builds that people created in other threads a few weeks back. I've never seen this on Windows/Ubuntu XBMC. Any setting I can tweak to avoid this?

Return to “Media centres”