NelsonX

Re: Raspbmc Distribution now in Beta

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi all,
Just want to say I`m loving the Raspbmc I have been using XBMC on an old XBOX for the last 4 years and I always said I would NEVER get rid of it. However, I`m beginning to lean towards this distro simply because the xbox can`t do HD and has limited memmory.

I can see straight away that this beta release is almost perfect. A few issues with downloads sitting at 0% and sometimes hangs. Being able to FTP in to specific folders and dump addons doesn`t seem to be as easy though, but that`s just a learning issue for me.

I`m sure as the kernels progress and the builds progress all those things will be ironed out.

Will there be any plans on adding the Karaoke support to this build.? XBMC Karaoke function on my Xbox is really good. Especially for house parties.

Im using a 2.4Ghz micro keyboard with built in mouse pad. Works on all distros Debian Arch raspbmc etc...

cost me £18. but Im thinking of upgrading to this for £22.

aperry

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:37 pm

I just got the latest beta up and running and I can see that Lirc is showing signs of life. My MCE remote can navigate left/right/up/down, but the select button doesn't work and sometimes it's registering double-presses in the directional buttons.

I tried adding swapping the mceusb config settings into /etc/lirc/lircd.conf and restarted lirc but that isn't working. Does anyone know how to point raspbmc to a specific lircd config file?

Thanks!
Aaron

Gnibbel2000

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:11 am

Hello @ all!

I am waiting for my Raspberry-Pi.
I want to use it with XBMC, so I need a small keyboard!

@ NelsonX:
The postet Keyboards are nice, where can I buy it? Here in Germany, all ebay-sellers just wont to send them to me for over 60€!

Thanks!

Ogoshi

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Has anyone else had any problems with getting video/music from a media server on Raspbmc? I've got a box running minidlna, samba and ftp which I can see on windows media player, ps3 and android samsung allshare no problem. However on Raspbmc I can browse the shared directories using any of the services above, except I can see no files within them! I'm guessing I'm missimg some sort of setting or permission somewhere but can't work it out!

Has anybody been able to stream from upnp/ftp/samba? Anything I can try and change?! Thanks.

Ogoshi

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:57 am

Ogoshi wrote:Has anyone else had any problems with getting video/music from a media server on Raspbmc? I've got a box running minidlna, samba and ftp which I can see on windows media player, ps3 and android samsung allshare no problem. However on Raspbmc I can browse the shared directories using any of the services above, except I can see no files within them! I'm guessing I'm missimg some sort of setting or permission somewhere but can't work it out!

Has anybody been able to stream from upnp/ftp/samba? Anything I can try and change?! Thanks.
A-ha, fixed it. Had to add it by typing the link smb://...
Then it let me see the files no problem :-)

Lastb0isct

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:09 pm

How do i install this Raspbmc beta? I just got my Raspberry Pi and want to test it out with Raspbmc! Any help would be great, thanks!

Paul Webster

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:13 pm

There is a Raspbmc site that has an essential wiki.
There has been a recent update - so read this new blog entry for more info and installation link.
http://www.raspbmc.com/2012/06/raspbmc- ... candidate/

Lastb0isct

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Paul Webster wrote:There is a Raspbmc site that has an essential wiki.
There has been a recent update - so read this new blog entry for more info and installation link.
http://www.raspbmc.com/2012/06/raspbmc- ... candidate/
Great, I must have missed that entry. I'll be testing it out soon! Thanks for helping me locate it.

Lastb0isct

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:57 pm

I got a kernel panic when booting into the system for the first time. How do you go about restarting the machine correctly when it's in a kernel panic?! Just unplug? I guess my wireless keyboard & mouse aren't working properly with this setup...woops. I'll have to get a normal usb mouse/keyboard.

syntax_erorr

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:04 am

Hi all,
I have gotten it to install and drop me to the xbmc interface! Eventually I even got it to play back a 720p mp4 with %33 CPU and %35 memory usage. Kinda funny for me sitting at the xbmc interface uses more CPU than video playback, about %80.

The install process is fairly straight forward.

Now I had issues with my keyboard and mouse randomly stop working with xbmc. Not sure what the problem was. But I could still ssh into the box and kill xbmc and it would auto restart and I could use the kb and mouse again. My SD card needs to be upgraded. I have what is now a really old 2 gb card which I think can only read/write somewhere around 1.6 mb/sec. This could be causing some of my issues i suspect as so the Logitech BT keyboard and mouse, that is in a fallback mode where the computer sees it as a HUB + usb keyboard + mouse.

I'm only listing my problem here in case anyone else has a keyboard or mouse that stops working while in xbmc. I didn't look into what or why it stopped yet, only how to get it working again.

1. ssh into the raspberry pi.
2. use top to find the xbmc program, should be at top of list, find its PID number.
3. sudo skill PID number
eg: sudo skill 1511
4. xbmc will auto start again, and hopefully have a working mouse.

I am happy to see very smooth video playback at 720p with the pi! Big time thanks to Sam Nazarko for making this available, and I can't wait to see where it will go.

EDIT: just wanted to add what the video format was I tested, because it is listed as 720, but the video container I guess is

only 544. I'm pretty sure it was playing back at 24 fps, hdmi audio also worked.

1280×544 (720p), 23.967 FPS, CE-High profile (PS3 and Xbox 360 compatible)
Audio Type: AAC LC Stereo

Fantastic Four trailer downloaded form here:
http://www.h264info.com/clips.html

walleee

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Lastb0isct wrote:How do i install this Raspbmc beta? I just got my Raspberry Pi and want to test it out with Raspbmc! Any help would be great, thanks!
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=501

Return to “Media centres”