b455x

RasPi as Audio Player

Sat May 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Hey there everyone,

since I'm waiting to get a Raspberry Pi for a long time now, I could think a lot about all the cool things I would like to do with it.

I wanted to share my ideas and would like to know, whether my expectations are too high?

Basically, I want to use my Pi as an Audio Player!
I thought about installing a small music programme, like for example Rhythmbox.Then I wanted to try to use my Android Phone and control the audio player via WiFi. I'm already doing so with my windows notebook and the programmes foobar2000 (including TouchRemote DACP Server) and an android-app called TunesRemote+. I thought it might be possible to use this android app also for controlling an audio player on the Pi, using the DACP protocoll and a WiFi-Stick. Like that I could play all of my music to my hifi system without having to connect my notebook.

Hopefully, I can make my external USB-Audio-Interface work, too. Like that I could get excellent sound quality.
Awesome :-)

The next thing I wanted to use it for is a Bluetooth Audio receiver. There are some cheap receivers from logitech or belkin, but I wanted the same function on my Pi (less devices = less power consumption).
So I think it shouldn't be too hard to install a bluetooth dongle and make it work like one of the receivers. Like that I could connect any Bluetooth-Device and use the Pi as a Bluetooth headphone or on my hifi system!
Awesome again :-)

Then I would install a simple print server, so I could do wireless printing. I think many of you will do so.

If all of the above should work perfectly, I would propably try to get a fileserver working for some backups. But I do have concerns whether the Pi will be able to do all this.

Of course, the Pi would be turned on 24/7 and be a very low cost home server / audio player.

What do you think?

javaboyuk

Re: RasPi as Audio Player

Tue May 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Yes I want to do nearly the same thing!

I hope to push the audio out over HDMI so it plays through my
AV AMP, it has very high quailty DACs (24bit high sample rates etc)
and can take MP3, DTS etc and decode them on the AMP!

I just don't have a my PI yet to see if it will even put the audio out
over the HDMI as expected?

So... Anyone tried streaming/playing audio files over HDMI is passthorough
mode say with VideoLAN yet and seen the AV AMP detect and conver the
stream?

JB

error404

Wed May 23, 2012 4:29 am

http://musicpd.org/ for all your music server needs. There are good clients for most platforms and it has good format and library support and works well on small machines.

Bluetooth unfortunately is pretty much out unless you're willing to spend a bit of money. It is much like USB in that there are peripherals and hosts. The cheap dongles are hosts, they cannot be peripherals, so other hosts (like a phone or whatever) can't associate with them to send audio. Maybe some of them are hackable though.

b455x

Wed May 23, 2012 8:49 am

@javaboyuk:

I only found this in the FAQ:
"AUDIO
Is sound over HDMI supported?

Yes."
So I'm pretty shure you won't have a problem with that?

@error404:

Thanks a lot! That's some interesting information and I wouldn't have thought that there would occur problems...
Actually, on my notebook (Lenovo x121e) it's very easy to stream music via Bluetooth from my phone to the speakers of the notebook...I just have to activate the option in Windows 7.

What kind of Bluetooth Device could be working? Does this have something to do with HFS (Hands-Free-Profile)? or A2DP?

error404

Wed May 23, 2012 9:30 am

Actually you might be right, I think I'm the one being stupid here. The phone is the device, the Pi is the host and everything should work.

You definitely want A2DP for music. The code exists for this in Linux; you will need the Bluez stack. See here for example: http://ceworkbench.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... udio-sink/

b455x

Wed May 23, 2012 11:13 am

@error404:
Okay, I'm glad to hear that :-)
I think I will buy a dongle at our local store and try if it will work, and if not I can still get my money back. The Link you posted seems to be a good Tutorial.

For all the others who are interested in Streaming audio from their bluetooth device to the Pi (e.g. phone or laptop) I also found to other links:
They are for ubuntu, but perhaps they will help anyway...? Couldn't try yet without a pi :-P
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1259424
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... A2DP+audio

And the Music Server error404 proposed is easier to find via
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon_Wiki

akameswaran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:16 pm

If you are using the Pi as an audio player as opposed to audio server, I can't really recommend it, especially if you are sending audio over HDMI to an AVR. Gapless is not supported in OMXPlayer. I've pretty much given up on the Pi as an audio player, but it does make a mean movie player (if you can live without DTS-MA or Dolby TrueDigital - and have an AVR that can take the DTS/Dolby Passthrough. Otherwise, the Pi struggles a bit with 1080p and dts/DD decoding.

Also, from following the github, I would not expect there to be a gapless OMXPlayer any time soon. I've spent a lot of time researching this and can find no options that would seem to work well unless I add a USB sound card. Perhaps if I ditched XBMC all together and tried to piece together a sound system from the base debian it would work gapless, but the only hardware accelerated player is not capable at this time.

Return to “Media centres”