TheSMJ

Torrent server for Pi

Sat May 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Received my Pi yesterday, got the Debian image installed on my SD card and got everything hooked up. Very pleased so far!

One thing I'd like to do with this little device is use it as a bittorrent server. On my main PC I run Vuze with an RSS reader plugin, and it downloads/seeds everything on its own. I'd like to duplicate this with my RPi, so I got OpenJava installed. Tested it and it seems to be working correctly.

I installed Vuze, but it will not start, rather it just pegs the CPU usage for a minute or so then stops. No GUI or any error message appears. Maybe this has something to do with Vuze not working on ARM systems? I'm still looking into this but if anyone happens to know anything please let me know.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a bittorrent client that has RSS capabilities that will work on the RPi?

jbeale

Re: Torrent server for Pi

Sat May 19, 2012 5:48 pm

rtorrent apparently works, transmission has also been mentioned
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... ent#p79401

I think some of the Arch dist. clients would work on the Pi:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li ... nt_Clients

make sure you have enough free memory space for whatever you're planning. For any extended amount of use, it's probably better to use an external USB HDD rather than rely on the SD card, due to write limitations on flash media.

simonlc

Sat May 19, 2012 6:19 pm

rtorrent or deluge would be much better for this than vuze.

TheSMJ

Sun May 20, 2012 3:37 am

Yes, I started installing rtorrent and getting its webUI set up. I plan on getting an external HDD to use as storage and share with my Windows PCs.

Unfortunately while installing rtorrent my SD card ran out of space (2 GB). I'm gonna go shopping for a 16 GB card next week and expand the partition.

Thanks everyone!

Orionn

Mon May 21, 2012 7:09 am

I got deluge installed. WebUI can be installed with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install deluge-webui
The only problem is that I can figure out how to install deluged, the daemon, I can only run deluge once the gui has run and then run deluge-gtk.

SamuelDebruyn

Tue May 29, 2012 12:02 am

I have Transmission installed. It doesn't use much resources and installation was very easy.
There is a web interface but you can also use Android apps or an ubuntu app etc.

moobsen

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:21 am

I use deluged & deluge-webui. But I did not use the package in the repo, but compiled from source (the stable git tree), as I wanted magnet-link support. I also use flexget as described in here.

When it works, it works fine, but the daemon keeps randomly crashing on me and the web interface loses the connection. That sucks... but maybe it's fixable. Anybody else here with similar problems?

Otherwise I'll give Transmission a try.

moobsen

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:21 pm

moobsen wrote: When it works, it works fine, but the daemon keeps randomly crashing on me and the web interface loses the connection. That sucks... but maybe it's fixable. Anybody else here with similar problems?
OK, the problem was fairly simple: not enough RAM. Using a swapfile now on an external USB HDD and it hasn't crashed once since. Setting it up took a little bit of effort, but totally worth it. Transmission might be leaner though, I still have not tried it.

pepotx

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:57 pm

moobsen wrote:
moobsen wrote: When it works, it works fine, but the daemon keeps randomly crashing on me and the web interface loses the connection. That sucks... but maybe it's fixable. Anybody else here with similar problems?
OK, the problem was fairly simple: not enough RAM. Using a swapfile now on an external USB HDD and it hasn't crashed once since. Setting it up took a little bit of effort, but totally worth it. Transmission might be leaner though, I still have not tried it.
Hi moobsen, same problem here with wheezy and rtorrent.
It seems that works better running rtorrent under nice and the lowest priority:
# nice 19 rtorrent
However, i would like to create a swap file anyway, could you please tell how did you create it?

moobsen

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:41 am

pepotx wrote: Hi moobsen, same problem here with wheezy and rtorrent.
It seems that works better running rtorrent under nice and the lowest priority:
# nice 19 rtorrent
However, i would like to create a swap file anyway, could you please tell how did you create it?
It's pretty easy. Just follow the instructions there: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-add- ... ile-howto/.

The only difference for me was that I created the swapfile on an external HDD, as SD cards tend to "wear out" faster.

Since raspbian and with the swapfile actiated, deluge hasn't crashed once on me.

mcneilm

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi,

Can anyone help me on this topic a bit further? I am running deluged 1.3.5-dev (I need magnet support) and deluge-web on a pi, and deluged just randomly crashes occasionally with absolutely nothing in the logs (despite the logs being at debug level). I am a 512Mb swap file on the hd, but it rarely gets used from what I can see i.e. free -m spits out the following most of the time:

[email protected] ~ $ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           232        220         11          0          1         96
-/+ buffers/cache:        122        110
Swap:          511          0        511
Has anyone else experienced such issues with deluge, and do they know how to fix it? I'm guessing the difference between a swap file on hdd vs the sd card is just a matter of how long your sd card can last for, so I'm stumped, and any advice would be gratefully received! If I can just get this sorted I'll have a power-friendly home server nirvana :)

ps I am using the 256Mb pi, if that helps, and moving to 512mb is an option (if that's the solution!)

Thanks very much in advance!

Matt

mcneilm

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:06 pm

oh and ps I am running the debian wheezy image

[email protected] ~ $ uname -a
Linux homehub 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

Return to “Media centres”