IDunbar

Sandisk cruzer fit & Filmon performance

Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:58 am

Hey, I've got a couple of questions, let's start with the easiest. I'm running raspbmc on my 512mb pi and watch all my media using plex. I'm looking to improve the performance by reinstalling raspbmc this time using a USB to run the OS on. After a little look around, the USB that stood out for obvious reasons is the tiny Sandisk Cruzer Fit. It seems to run at about 25mb/sec read and 10mb/sec write. So the question is has anyone had or know of any reason I should avoid this USB stick? And will the read/write speed actually improve the performance?

So on to the next. I'm an Englishman who has moved to Sweden so I was happy to find Filmon as an add-on to quell my thirst for UK tv, specifically the sport. I run the standard definition, I don't pay for HD. Unfortunately it cuts out a lot, it can be ok for maybe 5-10mins but once it cuts out once your lucky to get more than a few seconds when you pick the channel again. Is this a Filmon issue or raspberry pi issue? i.e is there something I can do to improve this (maybe using the USB stick to run raspbmc will improve matters?) or is this add-on just not meant to run on a pi!?! Could I run Filmon on my PC and stream to my pi?

Here's hoping someone out there knows the answer!

Thanks in advance.

castalla

Re: Sandisk cruzer fit & Filmon performance

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 am

Do you use a vpn or dns redirect? Filmon works okay on my Pi - that's the usual UK channels. Maybe it's related to the sport stream only?

IDunbar

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:41 pm

Its using a DSN server. I dont think it is sport specific as I've had the same problem with normal BBC shows as well as on Dave and ITV.

castalla

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:48 pm

Which version number of Filmon do you have?

Also, I've found Openelec better than Raspbmc.

IDunbar

Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:24 pm

I believe it's V.1.2.

Can I run plex on Openelec? Is it suggested to run that on a USB like it's suggested for Raspbmc?

Any advice on the USB front? Is the Sandisk Cruzer Fit any good!?! The physical size is perfect at least!

neilf

Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:50 pm

IDunbar wrote:I believe it's V.1.2.

Any advice on the USB front? Is the Sandisk Cruzer Fit any good!?! The physical size is perfect at least!
I use a bunch of these drives with my pi's running Risc OS. They seem brisk enough to me but I don't have much to compare them with and haven't done any speed tests.

Their small size is impressive but it can also be a pain as they can be tricky to remove from recessed sockets. They're OK if you intend to fit and forget, but if you need to remove them regularly to use the socket for something else (as I do) I'd go with a slightly larger body that's easier to grip.

One last point. USB pen drives use a deceptively large amount of power to write data, despite their tiny size. This may show up your power supply and things may get a bit flakey if its current capacity is at all borderline. I now fit the drive in my monitor's built-in hub, which solves all the problems for me power-wise.

castalla

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Openelec - all plugins work as it's XBMC.

There are routines to install to usb - but there's debate about how much real difference it makes.

There are current problems with Filmon - you might want to search out mikey1234's repo which will give you some options - pm me if you want more info.

IDunbar

Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:11 am

Cheers guys, I'll have a look up mikey1234. Then subsequently have a play around and see how I can improve stuff!

Cheers again!

masterluke

Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:10 am

A usb install is only worthwhile if...

1) You have a sdcard with less than about 20mb /sec read speed

or

2) You wish to overclock to a high level and are experiencing sdcard corruption

Return to “Media centres”