ADAMPOKE111

XBMC on Raspbian?

Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:54 pm

So I've got my raspberry pi all up and running and everything's going well.

Then I thought "Ah! YouTube on the RPi!" so I watched some tutorials on omxplayey, mplayer and what not. But i never got either of them to work. VLC is laggy as hell in the desktop interface and can't be run from the console with out load LXDE desktop :P.

So then I thought "Even better! XBMC!" and so I set about researching and I came accross one problem...

Is it possible to install XBMC inside of the Raspbian distro?
Last edited by ADAMPOKE111 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeJay

Re: XBMC on Raspbian?

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:16 pm

ADAMPOKE111 wrote: (Bonus Question: *cough* How do I get codecs for free? *cough* )
Possibly a little tactless to ask questions about 'sidestepping' the very small cost of a product of the Raspberry Pi Foundation on their own website?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

ADAMPOKE111

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:24 pm

DeeJay wrote:
ADAMPOKE111 wrote: (Bonus Question: *cough* How do I get codecs for free? *cough* )
Possibly a little tactless to ask questions about 'sidestepping' the very small cost of a product of the Raspberry Pi Foundation on their own website?
So you don't know if installing XBMC on Raspbian is possible?

Phill Rymer

Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:13 am

ADAMPOKE111 wrote:So I've got my raspberry pi all up and running and everything's going well.

Then I thought "Ah! YouTube on the RPi!" so I watched some tutorials on omxplayey, mplayer and what not. But i never got either of them to work. VLC is laggy as hell in the desktop interface and can't be run from the console with out load LXDE desktop :P.

So then I thought "Even better! XBMC!" and so I set about researching and I came accross one problem...

raspbian xbmc is in noobs package ready compiled

ADAMPOKE111

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:31 am

Phill Rymer wrote:
ADAMPOKE111 wrote:So I've got my raspberry pi all up and running and everything's going well.

raspbian xbmc is in noobs package ready compiled
I *don't* want a XBMC distro. I want to install XBMC inside the raspbian distro.

MoosePi

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:53 am

The version of XBMC in the Raspbian Wheezy Repositories is out-of-date and I believe has various issues with dependicies.

I found this but have not personally tried this method: http://michael.gorven.za.net/raspberrypi/xbmc
Pi Forum Search and Google yields answers to many questions

Return to “Media centres”