George Reid

XBMC DVB T2

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:27 am

I am UK based and have been looking into XBMC as a PVR and iPlayer terminal. We have very poor broadband connection but good Freeview reception. I was looking at USB tuners and found a number of DVB T examples and almost bought one before finding out this would only receive Standard Definition programs and not HD programs. Will raspbmc support DVB T2 USB sticks and has anyone got any advice on which one?

Oakham

Re: XBMC DVB T2

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

tvjon

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:05 am

George Reid wrote:I am UK based and have been looking into XBMC as a PVR and iPlayer terminal. We have very poor broadband connection but good Freeview reception. ...........
has anyone got any advice on which one?
I use, or rather experiment with, a PCTV "Nano 290e". It's over twice the price of a RPi, but naturally is usable on other computers for which there are drivers. I initially tried it on Openelec, & Raspbmc etc. via "TVHeadend", but abandoned that.

Since then I just use a basic "record this stream" command, using one of several DVB applications. The longest glitch-free recording I've had is about 20 minutes.

See:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=53832

specifically:

"Known issues (all of which are being worked on):

- High-speed high-bandwidth Isochronous is subject to data loss.
Typical symptoms include corrupted video from webcams that transmit uncompressed data, and corruption on HD video streams from DVB dongles.
This is mainly due to interrupt latency preventing isochronous packets from being requested (or transmitted) at the desired rate by the USB core. Isochronous is also particularly demanding of the dwc_otg driver, which may cause less responsiveness when lots of isochronous traffic is active."

All usb transfers on a 290e are Isochronous, but I'm hopeful that "Known issues (all of which are being worked on)" produces an eventual fix!

So I can't really advise other than to say if you're really keen to experiment & have an alternative machine to fall back on, then it could one day be very good. The quality of recordings are first rate, on par with our Technisat HDFS, & easy to use on RPi (I don't use ms win, but have tried the tuner on a friend's box, & the supplied pctv software leaves a lot to be desired!)

I believe Dom from the Foundation, has an "August" tuner, but don't know if it's T2, essential for Northern Europe HDTV, as you're aware.

HTH.

George Reid

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Thank you tvjon I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the PCTV "Nano 290e" was the only verified T2 stick and since it was only a single channel it didn't meet my requirement for a PVR. From you comments I gather it dosen't work too well either, at least for the moment.

Thanks GR

Return to “Media centres”