Michael
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Tue May 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Open Embedded Linux Entertainment Center, or OpenELEC for short, is a small Linux distribution built from scratch as a platform to turn your computer into a complete XBMC media center. OpenELEC is designed to make your system boot as fast as possible and the install is so easy that anyone can turn a blank PC into a media machine in less than 15 minutes.

OpenELEC build 10888 is available from http://www.numan1617.com/rpi/o.....ec/builds/

This is very much a work in progress.  For more info, please go here.

Original announcement here and here.

User avatar
The Architect
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:37 pm
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Thu May 10, 2012 6:15 pm

You guys should really just make each of these distributions their own forum instead of just one topic post if you want to organize it better...
"This will be the sixth time we've deemed the issue to be user related and not a programming error - and we have become exceedingly efficient at it."

milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Sat May 12, 2012 9:28 pm

The Architect wrote:You guys should really just make each of these distributions their own forum instead of just one topic post if you want to organize it better...
Agreed - create sub-forums for the major/popular distributions, plus one more for "Other Distributions".

gruffman
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Mon May 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Anyone having a finished build (.img) for this? I have a slow cpu so don't want to build it my self.
And also, the latest version lacks information in the INTALL file.

/Kind Regards

milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Tue May 15, 2012 12:04 am

gruffman wrote:Anyone having a finished build (.img) for this? I have a slow cpu so don't want to build it my self.
And also, the latest version lacks information in the INTALL file.

/Kind Regards
Have a look in this (<=link) thread.

ttgrules
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 2:00 am

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Tue May 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Just installed it on my 4gb card, and everything looks like it boots fine, but when the screen comes up it kills all usb devices and ethernet connections. I can't get it to do anything because the keyboards and remote access are down. Any ideas why?

ttgrules
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 2:00 am

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Tue May 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Just tried it without the ethernet, and the keyboard seems to work fine for a while. It must be having a problem with my ethernet connection type. I have it running through one of those Signal over Power line things... However, it does keep bugging out after about 20 seconds of using the keyboard. Any reason why it might be doing this? I installed someone else's build... and they don't seem to have any problems with it.

saiforigis
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Tue May 15, 2012 10:21 pm

ttgrules wrote:Just tried it without the ethernet, and the keyboard seems to work fine for a while. It must be having a problem with my ethernet connection type. I have it running through one of those Signal over Power line things... However, it does keep bugging out after about 20 seconds of using the keyboard. Any reason why it might be doing this? I installed someone else's build... and they don't seem to have any problems with it.
I had the same problem and what fixed it was getting a different power supply. The cheap power supplies cannot deliver enough power.

ttgrules
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 2:00 am

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Tue May 15, 2012 11:04 pm

Thanks! That turned out to be the problem... I feel so stupid for that mistake... I decided to build it myself anyways. I'll post an img file when I'm done.

User avatar
Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact: Twitter

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Wed May 16, 2012 10:10 am

Just want to say that Michael and co deserve a lot of praise here. I see they're getting builds out almost daily.
Jolly good work chaps.

greglogan
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Wed May 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Any chance someone could post a complete image for the new build?? I'm having issues with 10783 locking up. My card reader doesn't seem to want to work with any linux system so I'm limited to using windows atm

Greg.

geeday
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Thu May 17, 2012 12:50 pm

I just found this:
http://www.root9.net/2012/05/raspberry- ... -xbmc.html
will try it later.

User avatar
Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact: Twitter

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Thu May 17, 2012 9:45 pm

I have a couple of questions if it's okay...

I've managed to SSH into the box using PuTTY and openelec / openelec.
Is it possible to edit the /etc/sshd_config file? I just want to make it also listen on another port number.
I tried to edit the file using vim but was prevented from saving by read only permissions on the file.

Is it possible to set up winbind to run on it too? Not essential but a nice to have.
Cheers!

Dave

geeday
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Thu May 17, 2012 9:49 pm

did you sudo your edit command???

sudo nano /etc/the file

User avatar
Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact: Twitter

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Thu May 17, 2012 9:59 pm

geeday wrote:did you sudo your edit command???

sudo nano /etc/the file
Sudo and nano are both not available on the command line on this, very cut down, distribution of linux. Vim is though and if you use su root and enter openelec again as the password it drops you into root. But the read only permission still prevents my save despite this.

milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Fri May 18, 2012 5:37 am

Davespice wrote: I've managed to SSH into the box using PuTTY and openelec / openelec.
Is it possible to edit the /etc/sshd_config file? I just want to make it also listen on another port number.
I tried to edit the file using vim but was prevented from saving by read only permissions on the file.
It's not that the /etc/sshd_config file has read-only permission, it's that the entire root (/) filesystem is mounted read-only as it's a "loopback" filesystem - the root filesystem in OpenELEC is actually the contents of the single SYSTEM image file you put on your SD card. Long story short, you can't change anything in the root filesystem unless you roll your own SYSTEM file.

Some services in OpenELEC do have configuration files that may optionally exist in ~/.config (which is a read-write area of your /storage partition) - if you create a config file here (eg. samba.conf) it will take precedence over any equivalent file in /etc. However, sshd isn't one of these.

What you might be able to do is create (as user root) a file called "autostart.sh" in ~/.config and also store your own sshd_config in ~/.config.

It's a hack but it should work, try something like the following in ~/.config/autostart.sh:

Code: Select all

killall sshd
/usr/sbin/sshd -f ~/.config/sshd_config
When OpenELEC boots, it will start sshd normally using it's default settings (/etc/sshd_config) but just as OpenELEC brings up XBMC it will run "sh autostart.sh" (assuming it exists) and using the above lines can be used to kill the running sshd server and restart it with your own configuration and any extra ports/options you require.

Mr_Pi
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 11:10 am

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Sat May 19, 2012 11:15 am

Can anyone help me out? I don't know how to put xbmc onto the Pi. I have one sd card with the OS loaded. Do I install xbmc onto this or do I need a separate sd card for xbmc. Using windows do I need to put the image over via flashing?

RTM
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Sat May 19, 2012 1:57 pm

I just installed the system on my RPI, and so far it is working pretty decent.

There is still quite a few bugs, but i guess this is to be expected, given the age of the system.
A question though, do you want us to report bugs? if so, where do we report them?

@Mr_Pi:
I used the instructions from this site: http://openelec.tv/news/item/242-openel ... -pi-part-2, your sd card might be named something like /dev/mmcblk0, rather than /dev/sdb mentioned in the manual, depending on the connection of your card reader
You will need to use a linux system(or an advanced partitioning tool, since Windows can not create ext4 formatted partitions) to partition the SD card accordingly, i used the ubuntu installation cd as a live disk.

EDIT: also you should beware not to delete the contents of the other disks in your computer, so it might not be /dev/sdb even if it is not /dev/mmcblk0.

User avatar
stevepdp
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:41 am

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Sat May 19, 2012 2:20 pm

RTM wrote:A question though, do you want us to report bugs? if so, where do we report them
OpenELEC operate a bug tracker at Github.

Remember to mention that you're running OpenELEC on a Pi and which build you're using etc

LastSilmaril
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 8:16 pm
Location: New York, USA

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Davespice wrote:
geeday wrote:did you sudo your edit command???

sudo nano /etc/the file
Sudo and nano are both not available on the command line on this, very cut down, distribution of linux.
Actually, though vim actually wasn't the nightmare I thought it would be (well, not after the first 5 mins of googling anyway), nano is now available as an addon that you could install via the xbmc ui under programs. Once it's installed, rebooting OpenELEC will allow you to use it.

So I'd like to know how to mount the root as read-write. it would be something like mount -o rw,remount but i don't know what the parameters would be after that. we know what the mountpoint is (root) but not 'where it's coming from'. If you specify /dev/mmcblk0p1 and some folder as the mountpoint, all that does is expose the 128MB system partition (with the bootloader, config files and SYSTEM img). But what we want, to my knowledge, to make the contents of the SYSTEM img writable. Hmm. What if after doing the above we did
mount -o rw /flash/SYSTEM /system
or something? Ugh. I don't remember this stuff well enough

milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Sun May 20, 2012 12:41 am

LastSilmaril wrote: Actually, though vim actually wasn't the nightmare I thought it would be (well, not after the first 5 mins of googling anyway), nano is now available as an addon that you could install via the xbmc ui under programs. Once it's installed, rebooting OpenELEC will allow you to use it.
vi is installed by default - worth learning how to use vi as it's usually available on every distribution as standard.
LastSilmaril wrote: So I'd like to know how to mount the root as read-write.
You can't - see my previous post above.

LastSilmaril
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 8:16 pm
Location: New York, USA

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Sun May 20, 2012 1:53 am

milhouse wrote:
LastSilmaril wrote: Actually, though vim actually wasn't the nightmare I thought it would be (well, not after the first 5 mins of googling anyway), nano is now available as an addon that you could install via the xbmc ui under programs. Once it's installed, rebooting OpenELEC will allow you to use it.
vi is installed by default - worth learning how to use vi as it's usually available on every distribution as standard.
Right, I knew about vi, hence the part about the googling.
LastSilmaril wrote: So I'd like to know how to mount the root as read-write.
You can't - see my previous post above.
Aha, so over there you say
Long story short, you can't change anything in the root filesystem unless you roll your own SYSTEM file.
So do you know what switch in OpenELEC configuration allows for that?

milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Sun May 20, 2012 2:35 am

LastSilmaril wrote:So do you know what switch in OpenELEC configuration allows for that?
There are no switches that would allow you to build a rewritable version of SYSTEM - once it's created by the build system its content remains fixed.

What I mean by rolling your own SYSTEM is that you could patch sshd_config in the build directory (or patch /etc/init.d/51_sshd so that it looks in ~/.config for an alternative sshd_config and uses it if present) - and then keep reapplying your patch every time you update from git - before building your own SYSTEM which would then contain your modified sshd_config.

Though to be honest it would be much easier to go with the hack I suggested above rather than fork OpenELEC, which is essentially what you would be doing by modifying the OpenELEC source.

User avatar
Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact: Twitter

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Mon May 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi guys;
The latest build I have used is the one from the 15th of May. It is actually really impressive and shows off the Pi’s pixel pushing power really well. It did slow down a bit when you use the menus overlaid on top of the playback. But otherwise really good. I used it to stream some episodes over the LAN from a Samba/Windows Server 2003 box.

One thing I have noticed though is that I do not always get sound.
AAC sound seems to always work, but DTS and Dolby 5.1 both don’t. I’m not sure if that is to do with codec royalties or something? If anyone could enlighten me that would be great.

Cheers!

User avatar
nadnerb
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 11:22 am

Re: OpenELEC + XBMC on Raspberry Pi

Mon May 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Davespice wrote: One thing I have noticed though is that I do not always get sound.
AAC sound seems to always work, but DTS and Dolby 5.1 both don’t. I’m not sure if that is to do with codec royalties or something? If anyone could enlighten me that would be great.

Cheers!
Check the audio settings in XBMC.
You're probably passing the DTS and 5.1 audio through HDMI to an incompatible device.
Change the setting and the Pi will decode the audio stream first.

Return to “Media centres”