NedTheNerd

Re: Use Pi as a Plex Media Server

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:19 am

Addikt wrote:Hi all! I figured we might re-visit this thread as the Raspberry Pi 2 just came out.

SO, now we've got a new quad-core processor, whatcha reckon the odds are of getting it to work now?

Failing that, what are the alternatives in terms of remote streaming? One of Plex's fun features is the ability to stream media to my phone. I get transcoding video is/was perhaps too intensive but what about MP3?
Not much chance, still way too underpowered to support transcoding, too slow on the shared USB ports to support external drive throughput required, probably wouldn't support more the one streaming Plex client even without transcoding. I suspect that someone will try to create a version, doubt that it will be Plex Inc.

Regards
Hardware: 1xRPi B 256Mb running Musicbox, 2 x RPi2's running Rasplex, RPi B+ running mail and web services, RPi2 running Plex Media Server

ghans

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:22 pm

Huh ? The only problem with the Plex media server is the transcoding feature. I have a Pi1 (256 MB RAM !) based media server happily dishing out
full HD content from a USB harddisk without problem. Of course i'm not using PMS or any kind of transcoding , though.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

karma007

Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:57 pm

Hello, someone posted this : I have PMS running on Raspberry PI 2!
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/ ... erry-pi-2/

mrgreaper

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:50 pm

I confess a big reason for getting the pi 2 was to have it sit at home, grab any media i want and serve it up via plex server.

That way when im at work i just load up plex theater and resume watching my shows, at home? well just fire up plex theater on my pc and away i go..... seems this is not possible (unless i have misread this thread)

so what are our alternatives to plex server?
just need something that will allow me to access and play any media stored on my pi's hard drive from where ever i am (ok so its quite a big request but im sure there is something out thier) be great if it also organised it like plex does and remebers what you have watched.
I have seen references to xbmc but looking it up it seems to be a media center for xbox 1's O.o and not a media server.

NedTheNerd

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:56 pm

Use the Plex iOS/Android tablet/phone apps.

Regards
Hardware: 1xRPi B 256Mb running Musicbox, 2 x RPi2's running Rasplex, RPi B+ running mail and web services, RPi2 running Plex Media Server

mrgreaper

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:21 pm

NedTheNerd wrote:Use the Plex iOS/Android tablet/phone apps.

Regards
no i mean an alternative to plex server (since the pi cant run the server program)

with out the server the plex clients will not be able to see the media on the pi

karma007

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:39 pm

pi 2 CAN run the server program

mrgreaper

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:10 pm

karma007 wrote:pi 2 CAN run the server program

How? everything i have read tells me its not possible, im willing to admit i may be wrong (hope im wrong)
If you have a way to make it work please share chap

mrgreaper

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:40 pm

ah found it https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/ ... erry-pi-2/

karma007 a link would of been useful chap

karma007

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:30 pm

I already posted the link :)
by karma007 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:57 pm

mrgreaper

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:31 pm

karma007 wrote:I already posted the link :)
by karma007 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:57 pm
my bad clearly old age is getting to me

NedTheNerd

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:53 am

Perfectly possible to get PMS running on Raspberry Pi 2, I have it running, however, it will only serve local clients and will not support transcoding, similar to installing PMS on ARM7 NAS devices. Content is stored on USB attached SSD.

Needs more oomph to make it a viable PMS server for multiple clients.

Regards

blindpet

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:09 pm

You can now use the Pi 2 as a Plex Media Server by following this guide, no chroot required!

bobbydriver

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:14 am

Wow - this was ridiculously easy to set up on the Pi2, and the Plex app on my Smart TV seems pretty swish

The build of my music library (80,000 tracks) is taking looooong though. 10 hours so far and still going

richsmif

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:08 pm

Hey guys,

If your interested, I put together an install guide for Plex Media Server running on a Pi 2, using full raspbian (not minibian). Shows you how to install start to finish and some stream testing to a IPAD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVEmTPZomI

Any comments, let me know. Im going to be stress testing the Pi 2's transcoding performance later today.

Enjoy :D

Rich

bobbydriver

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:49 am

Cheers - I'm a bit baffled by the length of time it takes to scan music.

Using the Last.fm scanner to download metadata took nearly a week on my 80,000+ tracks. So I started again and chose Personal Media Library, which is supposed to just use the local cover.jpg files, but it still takes days.

Compared to LMS Squeezebox Server which does a full library scan in less than 3 hours on my Pi 2

KeithSloan

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:09 pm

Anybody got PMS on Raspberry Pi2 with the non chroot install working with music art work displaying on the client. I have it working but get no Artwork.
Works okay on my Ubuntu PMS server.

richsmif

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:02 pm

I'd check the pms server can see the meta data providers online
Check the ordering. ...

KeithSloan

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:22 am

richsmif wrote:I'd check the pms server can see the meta data providers online
Check the ordering. ...
The Pi has internet access okay. Where do I find the URL's for the metadata providers and how do I kick off a metadata check. Where is the ordering? I access my settings for agents but that just gives me a tickbox its not like with Movies where there are more agents,

jalirious

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:33 pm

arch runs the plex media server on my pi2, 4TB fast & stable.

Installed it with
pacman -S plex-media-server

Really liking arch after a few bumps initially.

r.lorenzoni

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:40 pm

Justo to share a little bit of experience.
Just got Plex working flawlessly with raspibian on RPi 2, Including transcoding to my Chromecast via plex.tv site (didnt had to touch js files).
Some tips:
- running root on external disk
- It showed on practive very important to run on ETH and not WIFI adapter (really seams that high speed wifi is consuming a lot of CPU. (over ETH I can Keep Deluge working, transfer files over samba and cast transcoding 720p at the same time smoothly - WITH SUBTITLES)
other info
My deluged runs without webgui

*(the one and only drawback is that from android app it still shows error in some videos that should be transcoding... but that is not RPi fault once from web app it is working)
I can share a little bit more information with you guys latter but I am very happy with the current solution.

emulatronic

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:37 pm

How did you do it?

I had a Plex server in my RPi2, but transcoding was killing it. I could make the subtitles work on an AppleTV or Xbox client.

Kevvo

Sun May 08, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi.

Yes, the raspberrypi 3 works nicely as a Plex Media Server and even with WiFi enhancements, mkv transcoding is OK, also, if you use MP4 all is good for direct streaming.

Pi Plex Media Servers (pre built images) and streaming performance demonstrations are available here:
http://www.iiot.co.za/Image_Raspberry_P ... dia_Server
Just select the most recent version as these guys update the versions soon after every new release from Plex.tv

Check it out.... Will save you an ENOURMOUS amount of hassle.

Cheers.

Kevvo

Tue May 10, 2016 4:06 am

Hi All.

Using my Pi 3 for a Plex Media Server, handles MP4 and mkv files like a dream.
Streaming content from a NAS as well.

These guys produce how to eBooks and pre-made images with everything done for you, no more hassle over disparate instructions and opinions.

http://www.iiot.co.za/Image_Raspberry_P ... dia_Server

Enjoy......

Tinko

Wed May 25, 2016 10:06 pm

I just received my RPI3 today and installed Plex Server via this manual https://www.element14.com/community/com ... berry-pi-3.

Have it up and running. Its connected via ethernet to my router, which also connects to my library on a WD NAS 1T via ethernet. I used the apple TV G3 Plex App as well as the browser on my macbook to watch media but did not have much luck.

Most of the files won't start playing. I just get a spinning wheel. Is that a matter of transcoding?
Any ideas what I could check out to narrow down the cause?

Tinko

Return to “Media centres”