jbyoung

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Mon May 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Any one want to post a download to a recent build and tell me how to install it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

numan1617

Mon May 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Builds here: http://www.numan1617.com/rpi/openelec/builds/

The instructions are found hereand here.

If you get stuck just give us a shout and we should be able to help :)
Last edited by numan1617 on Mon May 14, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funnel

Mon May 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Try forcing the correct HDMI group/mode setting in config.txt.
I think I tried everything in config.txt (framebuffer_size, overscan_left_right_...,hdmi_mode) to fix the overscan issue, nothing worked.

Seems to me it's something going on later in the xbmc boot process, like xbmc changing resolution at first for UI then a second time for the background and video overlay. Maybe it's applying the calibration values two times on top of each other.

I'm not sure but to me looks like it could be an issue only on 1368x768 resolution displays.

welshblob

Mon May 14, 2012 4:37 pm

aperry wrote:
welshblob wrote: 1. I have experienced with all builds is that when booting initially the picture will overscan the size of the screen which is running at 720p. I then "fix" that with the calibration within xbmc which works fine for that session. Upon reboot the menu screen then shrinks to so that it has black borders on all sides. When then playing videos the black borders remain but at the very extremes you can just about see the video playing behind it as if its overscanning.
First, big thanks to everyone contributing here. I received my Raspi on Friday and had OpenElec up and running shortly thereafter. It's a very cool combination!

I'm running 10950 and so far it's been pretty good. The biggest issue I have is what's quoted above from another user. I've searched around this thread and haven't been able to determine whether there's a good fix for this.

Anyone else struggling with overscan and/or underscan issues? Do you have fix or workaround? I'm connected via HDMI to a 42" TV, running at 1980x1280 at 60Hz. The calibration tool in system settings seems to produce exactly the effect described above.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron
Hi, although I don't have a fix for this one thing I noticed to correct the underscan was to halve the values for the 2 corners when doing the calibration i.e. say the value was 50,30 with the blue lines at the corner of the screen, then set them to 25,15. Escape from the calibration and reboot and magically it will be the right size for the screen! However at some random point later the config file reverts to the default and the overscan is back!

I've also noticed that most 16:9 videos will play overscanned regardless of what the calibration states or the menus are displaying. The config.txt options for overscan do not appear to get used although I know the config.txt is being picked up as I've tried forcing the hdmi_hotplug setting which changes the behaviour when not selecting the hdmi input on the tv the pi is connected to. The behaviour is incorrect with it just displaying a blank screen with a mouse cursor but at least it proves its reading config.txt.

One thing I'm slightly confused about is where to raise issues/bugs about xbmc and openelec. I'm appreciative of what has been produced and want to help in making this better so where should these be raised and how do you know whether to raise it against openelec or xbmc?

I can see this https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues might the correct place for openelec?

Cheers
Rob

artesea

Mon May 14, 2012 4:40 pm

numan1617 wrote:Builds here: http://www.numan1617.com/rpi/openelec/builds/

Problem I have is that I've not got a linux box to do part 2 (assuming that everything in part 1 is what you've offered on the builds), only a Win 7 machine.
Now wondering if I format my spare SD card, dump the build files to USB stick and use the Debian Squeeze on the other SD I could use the Pi to create the OpenELEC SD?

welshblob

Mon May 14, 2012 5:13 pm

artesea wrote:
numan1617 wrote:Builds here: http://www.numan1617.com/rpi/openelec/builds/

Problem I have is that I've not got a linux box to do part 2 (assuming that everything in part 1 is what you've offered on the builds), only a Win 7 machine.
Now wondering if I format my spare SD card, dump the build files to USB stick and use the Debian Squeeze on the other SD I could use the Pi to create the OpenELEC SD?
I think I used 10870 (it might have been a newer build actually) from this thread as my original base 4GB SD image written to the SD card in Windows using Win32DiskImager as stated in these instructions -> http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

Then I've just downloaded and unpacked the other builds that have been listed in this thread and just copied the SYSTEM and kernel.img files (and sometimes the elf file too) over to the visible partition that is mounted on Windows when the SD card is plugged in.

Rob

artesea

Mon May 14, 2012 5:26 pm

welshblob wrote:I think I used 10870 (it might have been a newer build actually) from this thread as my original base 4GB SD image written to the SD card in Windows using Win32DiskImager as stated in these instructions -> http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

Then I've just downloaded and unpacked the other builds that have been listed in this thread and just copied the SYSTEM and kernel.img files (and sometimes the elf file too) over to the visible partition that is mounted on Windows when the SD card is plugged in.

Rob
Tried that last night and it didn't boot. Although it's a new card which hasn't been tested on the Pi before.
Might give it another try. Have the image of 10855 which goes all tiny on my TV when XBMC loads on another card, so trying that first then seeing how I go with the copy and paste method.

aperry

Mon May 14, 2012 5:29 pm

welshblob wrote:
Hi, although I don't have a fix for this one thing I noticed to correct the underscan was to halve the values for the 2 corners when doing the calibration i.e. say the value was 50,30 with the blue lines at the corner of the screen, then set them to 25,15. Escape from the calibration and reboot and magically it will be the right size for the screen! However at some random point later the config file reverts to the default and the overscan is back!

I've also noticed that most 16:9 videos will play overscanned regardless of what the calibration states or the menus are displaying. The config.txt options for overscan do not appear to get used although I know the config.txt is being picked up as I've tried forcing the hdmi_hotplug setting which changes the behaviour when not selecting the hdmi input on the tv the pi is connected to. The behaviour is incorrect with it just displaying a blank screen with a mouse cursor but at least it proves its reading config.txt.

One thing I'm slightly confused about is where to raise issues/bugs about xbmc and openelec. I'm appreciative of what has been produced and want to help in making this better so where should these be raised and how do you know whether to raise it against openelec or xbmc?

I can see this https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues might the correct place for openelec?

Cheers
Rob
Great info, thanks Rob. Looks like you've been doing a lot of experimenting with this. I'll try the calibration "halving" approach and see how long that sticks for. I did notice the normal calibration tool seems to result in a funky underscanned-looking display. It wasn't strictly underscanned though because parts of the UI skin seemed to extend out past the outer border.

Aaron

welshblob

Mon May 14, 2012 5:51 pm

aperry wrote:
Great info, thanks Rob. Looks like you've been doing a lot of experimenting with this. I'll try the calibration "halving" approach and see how long that sticks for. I did notice the normal calibration tool seems to result in a funky underscanned-looking display. It wasn't strictly underscanned though because parts of the UI skin seemed to extend out past the outer border.

Aaron
I have been playing a bit but generally being quite lazy not having done any builds myself!

Feeling a bit guilty now ;-)

Rob

LastSilmaril

Mon May 14, 2012 6:02 pm

artesea wrote: Problem I have is that I've not got a linux box to do part 2 (assuming that everything in part 1 is what you've offered on the builds), only a Win 7 machine.
My friend, do yourself a favor and set yourself up a VM on your machine. VirtualBox is free (google it)
and this image of Lubuntu, a pretty streamlined version of Ubuntu Linux, is your friend:
http://www.trendsigma.net/vmware/lubuntu1110.html

humla

Mon May 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Has anyone tried and build without some services to see if that makes a difference.

In here:
OpenELEC.tv / projects / RPi / options
We can remove bluetooth support, afp ,samba(both client/ sever), SFTP server, HFS FS util and maybe some other depending on your setup.

Or would it not affect performance too much.

LastSilmaril

Mon May 14, 2012 8:07 pm

humla wrote:Has anyone tried and build without some services to see if that makes a difference.

In here:
OpenELEC.tv / projects / RPi / options
We can remove bluetooth support, afp ,samba(both client/ sever), SFTP server, HFS FS util and maybe some other depending on your setup.

Or would it not affect performance too much.
I'd be interested in doing this just to speed up compilation. I'll keep samba client/server but DVD/CSS support can also go

welshblob

Mon May 14, 2012 8:28 pm

For those of you using the Demand5 and 4od addons I had to hack the following line (towards the bottom) in default.py;

geturllib.SetCacheDir( xbmc.translatePath(os.path.join( "T:"+os.sep,"addon_data", gPluginName,'cache' )) )

To :
geturllib.SetCacheDir( xbmc.translatePath(os.path.join( "special://home"+os.sep,"addon_data", gPluginName,'cache' )) )

Please note however that the 4od plugin still has issues and won't play anything. I have to say that these addons do seem a bit faster at scraping their respective sites than the iPlayer one which is very slow. Also ITV player won't play anything either.

I'm wondering whether it might be useful on these slower systems whether a script that scrapes these sites on a schedule and caches the results might be a better way to go. Of course you could still have an option to use the old method to view the latest programmes added.

Oh also I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm doing other than these are clearly paths that are wrong and T: wasn't mapped properly on the OpenElec build ... not that I'm sure if it should be or how you would do that. I found this fix when trying to fix the 4od addon on my Ubuntu box the other day and as the xbmc.log was showing an error with this line I thought I'd have a go and hack it.

Rob

itsonlyme

Mon May 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Bob

Try these https://github.com/alnicol

I had the 4OD one working fine this afternoon, but as I have not had any problem with the Demand 5 one I am still using Hitcher's.

However, I believe there is some sort of intermittent problem at Channel 4 which affects 4OD which ever way you try to view it (??capacity related??)

Hansel

Mon May 14, 2012 10:37 pm

Well, something has happened over the last day or two to cause my compiles to fail. I now get:

Code: Select all

/home/simon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc/libc_pic.os: In function `__GI___libc_freeres':
find_exidx.c:(__libc_freeres_fn+0x8d0): undefined reference to `__start___libc_subfreeres'
/home/simon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/lib/gcc/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/4.7.0/../../../../armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: /home/simon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc/libc.so: hidden symbol `__start___libc_subfreeres' isn't defined
/home/simon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/lib/gcc/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/4.7.0/../../../../armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [/home/simon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc/libc.so] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/simon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/elf'
make[2]: *** [elf/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/simon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/simon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/eglibc-2.15-18222/objdir-eglibc'
make: *** [release] Error 2
No idea how to troubleshoot that unfortunately :)

Also, I'd been using dirty regions for a week or so with no issues, but last night I rebooted and the screen is completely black. I can start a video using the Android remote, and it plays and displays just fine, it's just the menu is totally black. I'll try removing dirty regions and hopefully that sorts it out. Pretty random though.

Hansel

Mon May 14, 2012 11:02 pm

Hmm. Oh dear. I guess it wasn't a dirty regions problem, as I've removed that and I still can't see any menus... videos work fine as long as I kick them off through the Android App (I have to, as I can't see the screen).

Those familiar with XBMC, could you tell me what I need to delete to reset all the config options?

Thanks

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon May 14, 2012 11:05 pm

Delete ~/.xbmc to be sure (will remove everything)
Delete ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml may be enough.
(from memory so the paths could be wrong)

Hansel

Mon May 14, 2012 11:14 pm

Deleting guisettings fixed it :)

Thanks Dom!!

Any idea what's going on with the build issues? Problem at my end or in the repo?

milhouse

Tue May 15, 2012 2:10 am

Hansel wrote: Any idea what's going on with the build issues? Problem at my end or in the repo?
r10977 just built cleanly for me.

Hansel

Tue May 15, 2012 4:06 am

Right, I'm stumped then if it works OK for you. I've tried it a few more times and always the same error. I've made sure everything is up to date (as far as I can tell), but I don't know enough about Linux to work out what's wrong from the error messages.

antxxxx

Tue May 15, 2012 5:35 am

LastSilmaril wrote:
artesea wrote: Problem I have is that I've not got a linux box to do part 2 (assuming that everything in part 1 is what you've offered on the builds), only a Win 7 machine.
My friend, do yourself a favor and set yourself up a VM on your machine. VirtualBox is free (google it)
and this image of Lubuntu, a pretty streamlined version of Ubuntu Linux, is your friend:
http://www.trendsigma.net/vmware/lubuntu1110.html
Instead of using a full linux install, I ran gpartd (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) in vmware player to partition my SD card. I downloaded the iso of gpartd, and booted a new vm from that iso. I then attached the sd card to my computer and in vmware player selected that I pass it through to the virtual machine.
gpartd could then see the SD card so I could partition it with a small FAT32 partition and an EXT4 partition.
Once that was all complete I shut down the virtual machine and in windows copied the necessary files to the FAT32 partition

You could just boot your machine off gpartd iso, but there is always a risk doing this that you will select the wrong disk and mess up your computer. Doing it in a virtual machine has less risk of things going wrong

welshblob

Tue May 15, 2012 7:15 am

itsonlyme wrote:Bob

Try these https://github.com/alnicol

I had the 4OD one working fine this afternoon, but as I have not had any problem with the Demand 5 one I am still using Hitcher's.

However, I believe there is some sort of intermittent problem at Channel 4 which affects 4OD which ever way you try to view it (??capacity related??)
That's weird as I was using hitchers repository as well. I wonder if you have the T: path properly defined? These are the versions;

4oD Nibor 1.0.1
Demand5 Nibor 1.0.2

Also I got my path wrong above as it should have been;

geturllib.SetCacheDir( xbmc.translatePath(os.path.join( "special://home/userdata/addon_data"+os.sep,"addon_data", gPluginName,'cache' )) )

Rob

itsonlyme

Tue May 15, 2012 11:34 am

Rob

I am using the 4oD from alnicol which is described as nibor 1.01 on the addin info? window, but is marked as alnicol1b7a25a in my list of addons.
The path line is
geturllib.SetCacheDir( xbmc.translatePath(os.path.join("special://home","addon_data", gPluginName,'cache' )) )

For Demand5 I am using the plugin from Hitcher which is marked as nibor 1.02.
The path line is
geturllib.SetCacheDir( xbmc.translatePath(os.path.join( "special://masterprofile","addon_data", gPluginName,'cache' )) )

I have never needed to amend the path line, although I was aware of the issue.

Last week when I was looking at these I did note there were a number of different versions of each one. I think this is due to people correcting the path issue and posting their slightly different solution in various forums but not adjusting the version number. Unfortunately an error on my part means I no longer have the original zip nor can I remember the source, but I can post copies of my "after installation" addon folder for each if required.

Both are working this morning, but ITV seems to be down the river now.

Malcolm

welshblob

Tue May 15, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks for the info Malcolm. I wonder if these are the only changes to these scripts? Also I found that when I set the path to special://home it put the addon_data folder under .xbmc/ rather than under .xbmc/userdata. Not a huge issue but annoying. I wonder if the latter path, special://masterprofile, is mapped to .xbmc/userdata.

Just found this which explains all the special path mappings .... http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Special_protocol

Cheers
Rob

itsonlyme

Tue May 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Rob. Sorry but I do not know if there were any other changes.

Trying to understand LInux paths gets my brain in a whirl as I am very new to all this and tend to look at things with a Windows eye rather than a New eye! Struggling all the time but learning and slowly getting there. If I come across a solution to the ITV problem I will post.

Malcolm

Return to “Media centres”