LastSilmaril

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Fri May 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Just built r10939. It boots but hangs after a few seconds moving the mouse (which feels very sluggish). And by hangs, I mean, really hangs - can't ssh into it in order to kill the xbmc process and have it start itself back up again. Going back to 10918…which seems to be having trouble with HD movies, but I can"t seem to pin down the exact issue.

Oh, and someone posted about removing dts/ac3 bitstreaming to get onboard decoding to work – did the trick for me in terms of getting audio to work.

LastSilmaril

Fri May 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Hmm. Something is up. Is copying a new kernel.img and SYSTEM not a valid way to update? Because now 10918 is freezing up after boot, too...

the_dvd_guru

Fri May 11, 2012 8:02 pm

just for the record r10939 that i built is working fine here.

right i modded the files need for lirc and they are showing up on the pi but still the remote is not working!!!

dam dam dam so close so far........................................

the_dvd_guru

Fri May 11, 2012 8:13 pm

in fact scrap that - the menus seems really slugish

LastSilmaril

Fri May 11, 2012 8:48 pm

Ugh. This is extremely frustrating. I decided to junk the Storage partition and have OpenELEC rebuild it, but of course all of the early trouble I had with this build (10918) came back. Sluggish menus, mouse disappears and stops responding randomly, didn't even try to play a video yet because of all that &c &c.

Beta software, huh? I wish I had some idea as to how to patch it though; I feel useless…

EDIT: Finally managed to shut off that damn RSS feed, which I suspect was part of the sluggishness; on reboot everything is much smoother. Idiocy. There should be a way to disable this by default...

LastSilmaril

Fri May 11, 2012 9:20 pm

...And now ssh doesn't seem to be working - connections being refused - for no good reason. (Didn't change the cmdline.txt file, so it's enabled there; there doesn't seem to be any other toggle for it that I'm missing under settings).
Ugh. Uselessness.

funnel

Fri May 11, 2012 9:31 pm

I found a solution for the stuttering when playing mkv's with DTS audio(RPi DTS decoding).

Under Settings->Videos->Playback select:

Sync playback to display and

A/V sync method to Audio clock

Simon H

Fri May 11, 2012 9:33 pm

These builds are not releases they are try at your own risk.
There isnt an official release of openelec yet so if you expect each build to be an improvement and bug free you will be disappointed.
I suggest you wait for release software if you want anything near stable.

LastSilmaril

Fri May 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Simon H said:

These builds are not releases they are try at your own risk.
There isnt an official release of openelec yet so if you expect each build to be an improvement and bug free you will be disappointed.
I suggest you wait for release software if you want anything near stable.

Yes, yes, I know. It's just frustrating that it goes from working reasonably well to not working at all for no apparent reason, using the same build, and it's more frustrating that I don't know enough hacking to contribute to this particular project.

In the meantime - my tv is detected as 1280x768. Anybody know if 1360x768  can be enabled just via hacking away at some strings in /storage/.xbmc/guisettings.xml? I've run out of time for today, I'm afraid

Simon H

Fri May 11, 2012 9:50 pm

...And now ssh doesn"t seem to be working - connections being refused - for no good reason. (Didn"t change the cmdline.txt file, so it"s enabled there; there doesn"t seem to be any other toggle for it that I"m missing under settings).
Ugh. Uselessness.

Has your IP address changed? check in system info. DHCP leases expire after time and it issues a new address. That will cause a refusal.

numan1617

Fri May 11, 2012 10:00 pm

FYI, just uploaded R10939

LastSilmaril

Fri May 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Simon H said:

...And now ssh doesn"t seem to be working - connections being refused - for no good reason. (Didn"t change the cmdline.txt file, so it"s enabled there; there doesn"t seem to be any other toggle for it that I"m missing under settings).
Ugh. Uselessness.

Has your IP address changed? check in system info. DHCP leases expire after time and it issues a new address. That will cause a refusal.

Yeah dude, it pinged properly, and shows up under same IP in my router (checked the MAC info, which identified it as belonging to the Raspberry Pi Foundation). But you're right, I should have pointed out that I tried the obvious already.

LastSilmaril

Fri May 11, 2012 10:02 pm

numan1617 said:

Tried it, was a regression for me all around. Compiled R10942 just now but it only took around a minute so I don't think they changed much. Who knows? Let's see what happens.

EDIT: 10942 seems to me to be just as responsive as 10918 if not more so. No time to test videos right now, maybe later today. ssh is still not working. (I also triplechecked the IP under system info - IP has not changed).

numan1617

Fri May 11, 2012 10:07 pm

LastSilmaril said:

numan1617 said:

Tried it, was a regression for me all around. Compiled R10942 just now but it only took around a minute so I don"t think they changed much. Who knows? Let"s see what happens.

Regression in what sense?

Just uploading R10942 to the same location now.

Tass

Fri May 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Just FYI - I've updated my 10870 image with the firmware & kernel files from 10918 and everything seems fine.  It boots up, plays SD h264 of a local USB key.  I can SSH into it without any issue and the network seems much better than 10870.  The 5-second negative display on FF & RW is still there, but not the end of the world.

I'm downloading 10939 & 10942 now - I'll update & feed back accordingly.

LastSilmaril

Fri May 11, 2012 10:14 pm

numan1617 said:

LastSilmaril said:

numan1617 said:

Tried it, was a regression for me all around. Compiled R10942 just now but it only took around a minute so I don"t think they changed much. Who knows? Let"s see what happens.

Regression in what sense?

Just uploading R10942 to the same location now.

10939 would freeze a few seconds after booting and never becomes responsive.

10942 is responsive but whenever I try to play any kind of video (avi, mkv, mp4) it shows 'working' in the corner and freezes up.

LastSilmaril

Fri May 11, 2012 10:17 pm

LastSilmaril said:

10942 is responsive but whenever I try to play any kind of video (avi, mkv, mp4) it shows 'working' in the corner and freezes up.

I'm playing these files over the network using an SMB share. SMB seems to be faulty, by the way, unless you have a WINS server setup somewhere (my router can do it). Have not tried local media.

humla

Fri May 11, 2012 11:07 pm

LastSilmaril said:

LastSilmaril said:

10942 is responsive but whenever I try to play any kind of video (avi, mkv, mp4) it shows "working" in the corner and freezes up.

I"m playing these files over the network using an SMB share. SMB seems to be faulty, by the way, unless you have a WINS server setup somewhere (my router can do it). Have not tried local media.

with the limited cpu, samba does not work well in this situation. You will get much better results on ftp,http or nfs.

Tass

Fri May 11, 2012 11:20 pm

An update on 10939: I applied kernel.img & SYSTEM to my openelec image (10870 + 10918) and it booted up fine, general UI responses were fine with no freezing, but my USB key is no longer detected so I can't play any videos.  I'll recreate everything & test again, just to make sure the issue isn't on my side.

attilla

Fri May 11, 2012 11:52 pm

I just dd'ed 10888 onto a SD card (which took 4 hours). I guess I should do it differently, right? Can anyone provide me with some tips for that?

Also my keyboard doesn't work. So I can't do anything with it. Just a standard apple keyboard, should work I guess ...

Hansel

Fri May 11, 2012 11:52 pm

Hansel said:

Right, I feel fairly confident in saying that at least some of the little niggles are caused by the new start.elf.

Today I upgraded to 10918.   First I installed it with the old start.elf, bootcode.bin and loader.bin and it upgraded and booted fine.  Ran that for a while with no issues.

A bit later I replaced the start.elf, bootcode.bin and loader.bin and rebooted.  I was greeted by the garbled load screen that others had talked about (I've never seen this before updating start.elf).  I also noticed a little blockiness in some TV shows occasionally, and also the "negative" effect when FFing or RWing.

I'd say this is down to changes in the start.elf (I mention that file specifically as bootcode.bin and loader.bin haven't been updated in 2 months according to the repo), as opposed to kernel or system issues.

I think I'm going to revert back to the original start.elf for now as it does remove a few issues, unless someone has a good reason why I shouldn't (is it likely to conflict with future kernel/system updates?)

Tass

Sat May 12, 2012 12:07 am

attilla said:

I just dd'ed 10888 onto a SD card (which took 4 hours). I guess I should do it differently, right? Can anyone provide me with some tips for that?

Also my keyboard doesn't work. So I can't do anything with it. Just a standard apple keyboard, should work I guess ...

Regarding the dd time, that doesn't sound quite right - I've just applied the 10870 image and it took less than 10 minutes.  From what I've heard, 10870 is a fairly stable version.  Once I've applied that to my SD card I've downloaded and applied updated firmware and kernel from newer releases (10918 seems quite stable).

It's fairly straight-forward - you can just copy the relevant files onto the boot partition of the SD card - you should be able to see this in Windows (start.elf, bootcode.bin, bootloader.bin, kernel.img (renamed from KERNEL) & SYSTEM).

Latest firmware:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....31/#p76293

Latest builds:

http://www.numan1617.com/rpi/o.....ec/builds/

Tass

Sat May 12, 2012 12:21 am

Tass said:

An update on 10939: I applied kernel.img & SYSTEM to my openelec image (10870 + 10918) and it booted up fine, general UI responses were fine with no freezing, but my USB key is no longer detected so I can't play any videos.  I'll recreate everything & test again, just to make sure the issue isn't on my side.

OK – false alarm.  I reverted back to 10870 and found my USB key no longer works under there either.  Checking it on my Win7 machine, I can't see it, so I've trashed my key somehow, not related to OpenELEC.

EDIT: Tracked down to my MicroSD-to-USB convertor...

Hansel

Sat May 12, 2012 1:33 am

Hansel said:

Hansel said:

Right, I feel fairly confident in saying that at least some of the little niggles are caused by the new start.elf.

Today I upgraded to 10918.   First I installed it with the old start.elf, bootcode.bin and loader.bin and it upgraded and booted fine.  Ran that for a while with no issues.

A bit later I replaced the start.elf, bootcode.bin and loader.bin and rebooted.  I was greeted by the garbled load screen that others had talked about (I've never seen this before updating start.elf).  I also noticed a little blockiness in some TV shows occasionally, and also the "negative" effect when FFing or RWing.

I'd say this is down to changes in the start.elf (I mention that file specifically as bootcode.bin and loader.bin haven't been updated in 2 months according to the repo), as opposed to kernel or system issues.

I think I'm going to revert back to the original start.elf for now as it does remove a few issues, unless someone has a good reason why I shouldn't (is it likely to conflict with future kernel/system updates?)

Right. Reverted back and now:

*  No more corrupt logo on startup (not that it matters)

*  More stable navigating around (not as many pauses etc)

*  More stable when starting and stopping files (less delay)

Greg117

Sat May 12, 2012 2:33 am

the_dvd_guru said:

just for the record r10939 that i built is working fine here.

right i modded the files need for lirc and they are showing up on the pi but still the remote is not working!!!

dam dam dam so close so far………………………………….

the_dvd_guru said:

in fact scrap that – the menus seems really slugish

Yeah, I've noticed the Higher CPU usage on 10942.  When I was running 10918 I would get about 30-35% usage playing mkv's and right now I'm watching a show at 95% cpu usage.  Something definitely is different.

Also, for the IR issues, is the receiver showing up in dmesg?  You can try 'dmesg | grep IR'.  If you see it there, you can see if it's device is loaded by doing 'cat /proc/bus/input/devices' and see if it's listed there.  If it is not listed there you can see if the kernel modules are loaded by doing 'lsmod' and at least mceusb and uinput should be listed.

I've noticed that when I've built the images the kernel modules aren't loading properly like Hansel's images.  So I'm not sure how to fix it, but if you are using your own images, you can try someone else's if the kernel modules aren't loaded properly.

Return to “Media centres”