LastSilmaril

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Fri May 11, 2012 5:04 am

Hmm. Samba is a finicky beast…but I found something that helped – using my router as a WINS server. Instructions for tomatousb can be found here, and then just add your router's IP under System>Settings>Network>SMB Client.

Before I did that, Samba browsing/adding worked exactly once, and even then, hung when it began to scan the folders I added. Afterward, the system is responsive even when scanning huge folders.

Moving down to r10870 was a regression, went back to r10918 right away. For some reason it is much more stable than when I first tried it? The only variable I can remember being my use of some Logitech mouse instead of my Lenovo. Of course that doesn't make much sense…

Watching some SD video (TVRip) now. Quality is not great (prolly uses ffmpeg, which I've never liked for decoding anything). Had some audio sync issues at first, but restarting it was fine. Video tends to stutter if you use the menus too much.

Meanwhile, I was wondering if full 1360x768 is being worked on as an option instead of 1280x768. As it is, the SD/480p stuff is showing up with black bars and somewhat distorted on my 720p screen.

The next step, I guess, is getting some kind of IR receiver that"ll work with a universal remote. Ideas?

Hmph. All in all, this is all a huge improvement over earlier today. I'm surprised they were able to make this much progress without so much as a single rPi.

LastSilmaril

Fri May 11, 2012 5:17 am

One more thing - tried an mkv with a 5.1 DTS track...doesn't decode at all/no sound (HDMI going straight to the television, with RCA outs from there to the receiver). I already changed output channels to 5.1 instead of 2.0. Any other ideas?

Video also seemed to stutter even though it was 720p but I wasn't watching for long enough that I'm sure about that. Aight, done spamming the thread for now.

Hansel

Fri May 11, 2012 6:06 am

LastSilmaril said:

One more thing - tried an mkv with a 5.1 DTS track...doesn't decode at all/no sound (HDMI going straight to the television, with RCA outs from there to the receiver). I already changed output channels to 5.1 instead of 2.0. Any other ideas?

Video also seemed to stutter even though it was 720p but I wasn't watching for long enough that I'm sure about that. Aight, done spamming the thread for now.

Is this with my build, or another one?    I compiled it at work so I haven't had a chance to try it yet...

Greg117

Fri May 11, 2012 6:25 am

Hansel, your 10918 build fixed my IR Remote problems!! Thanks!!

Hansel

Fri May 11, 2012 6:26 am

Greg117 said:

Hansel, your 10918 build fixed my IR Remote problems!! Thanks!!

Oh good

iDunc

Fri May 11, 2012 7:04 am

mactalla said:

iDunc said:

Yep i've been using command line to dd to the .img to the card but my original question was how do I dd - not a image file - but the files inside the folder OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120510071814-r10902 from a few pages ago???

Thanks

Ok, if I'm understanding you correctly, you've used dd to image an SD card.  So now you have an SD card with the correct partitions and some files on the first partition.  Now you want to extract certain files from a different .img file and put them on your SD card that was imaged with a previous .img.  Is this correct?

Once you've imaged the card you can manipulate it the way you would a USB drive or any other flash card.  'cp' 'mv' or drag'n'drop would all do the trick.

Ahh its always the simplest ways! Many thanks for this will try it tonight.

funnel

Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 am

One more thing – tried an mkv with a 5.1 DTS track…doesn't decode at all/no sound (HDMI going straight to the television, with RCA outs from there to the receiver). I already changed output channels to 5.1 instead of 2.0. Any other ideas?

Did you disable DTS and Dolby compatible receiver in System->System->Audio ? Worked for me.

frying_fish

Fri May 11, 2012 8:57 am

Not yet tried 10918, however, on 10902 my Speedlink SL-6399 IR remote works out of the box (but it works with normal XBMC so I sort of expected it would).

I'm going to update over the weekend and see what stage it is behaving like for myself.

pandapi

Fri May 11, 2012 9:03 am

Has anyone tried any interlaced (SD or HD) content? How well was it handled?

piprog

Fri May 11, 2012 11:29 am

Simon H said:

10870 is on page 23 near the bottom.
That should be ok then just update it via the update share.

Windows you might have to assign a drive letter to it in disk management for it to appear cant give you steps as not in front of pc at the moment.

Hi Simon,

Just wanted to report back: finally succeeded upgrading 10710 to 10918 by connecting the SD to USB and manually replacing all relevant files, including SYSTEM and kernel.img (later from KERNEL). For the first sight 918 seems to be gr8, much better UI performance (although with a less beautiful UI).

Thanks for your help,

pi

P.S. 870 was *very* buggy, the LAN if practically did not work: could not transfer the 70+MB SYSTEM file, always hung somewhere. 918 is much better.

Tass

Fri May 11, 2012 11:43 am

Hi guys

I'm looking for a little help here.  I've been looking through this thread, trying to figure out how to update my image, but can't see to find what I'm looking for.

I put 10870 onto my SD card, booted up & it was fine.  I've downloaded the new firmware files here, copied them onto the FAT boot partition from my Win7 laptop (renaming the relevant start.elf file), booted up and it still works.  From what I understand, I now need to get the kernel applied.

So - I tried browsing to the IP address assigned to the Pi, but it can't find anything.  I've tried pinging the IP, but it's incredibly slow to respond - 1000+ms response time (I'm going to assume that's a separate issue).  I can SSH into it, although I'm stumped by the UN/PW (I'm sure it's in this post somewhere - I'll look for it).

I saw this post earlier about using a mount command, but I don't quite understand how that works.  How do I get the files from my Win7 machine onto the Pi?  I've got a FAT32 USB key that my Pi can see - I could put the kernel files on there, boot it up, SSH into it (once I find the UN/PW), and potentially use the mount command that way, although I'm not sure how I'd identify & access the USB key?

Hansel

Fri May 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Tass said:

I've got a FAT32 USB key that my Pi can see - I could put the kernel files on there, boot it up, SSH into it (once I find the UN/PW), and potentially use the mount command that way, although I'm not sure how I'd identify & access the USB key?

Plug the key into the pi and copy the 4 files (SYSTEM, SYSTEM.md5. Kernel.md5 and Kernel) to the Update folder on the Pi.    Reboot, and you're done

Tass

Fri May 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Hansel said:

Tass said:

I've got a FAT32 USB key that my Pi can see – I could put the kernel files on there, boot it up, SSH into it (once I find the UN/PW), and potentially use the mount command that way, although I'm not sure how I'd identify & access the USB key?

Plug the key into the pi and copy the 4 files (SYSTEM, SYSTEM.md5. Kernel.md5 and Kernel) to the Update folder on the Pi.    Reboot, and you're done

Thanks Hansel. I presume you mean do this through SSH?  And do you have any idea how I can find out what the key will appear under?  I don't know the Linux filesystem structure that well

piprog

Fri May 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Tass said:

I put 10870 onto my SD card, booted up & it was fine.  I've downloaded the new firmware files here, copied them onto the FAT boot partition from my Win7 laptop (renaming the relevant start.elf file), booted up and it still works.  From what I understand, I now need to get the kernel applied.

Hi Tass: what I have just done today is I did the SYSTEM and kernel.img update the same way as the other (/boot) files, actually the same time. While the SD was connetcted to my Win7 machine as an USB drive, copied SYSTEm to the mounted folder, and copied KERNEL as kernel.img to the same folder. That's it. Works like charm.

The /update folder method is nice when you don't have to update the RPi files, but when you have to, this is the easiest way AFAIS.

Hope this helps.

Hansel

Fri May 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Right, I feel fairly confident in saying that at least some of the little niggles are caused by the new start.elf.

Today I upgraded to 10918.   First I installed it with the old start.elf, bootcode.bin and loader.bin and it upgraded and booted fine.  Ran that for a while with no issues.

A bit later I replaced the start.elf, bootcode.bin and loader.bin and rebooted.  I was greeted by the garbled load screen that others had talked about (I've never seen this before updating start.elf).  I also noticed a little blockiness in some TV shows occasionally, and also the "negative" effect when FFing or RWing.

I'd say this is down to changes in the start.elf (I mention that file specifically as bootcode.bin and loader.bin haven't been updated in 2 months according to the repo), as opposed to kernel or system issues.

Hansel

Fri May 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Tass said:

Hansel said:

Tass said:

I"ve got a FAT32 USB key that my Pi can see – I could put the kernel files on there, boot it up, SSH into it (once I find the UN/PW), and potentially use the mount command that way, although I"m not sure how I"d identify & access the USB key?

Plug the key into the pi and copy the 4 files (SYSTEM, SYSTEM.md5. Kernel.md5 and Kernel) to the Update folder on the Pi.    Reboot, and you"re done

Thanks Hansel. I presume you mean do this through SSH?  And do you have any idea how I can find out what the key will appear under?  I don't know the Linux filesystem structure that well

Hi Tass.  If your Pi can see the Key, you can probably just do it through the XBMC file manager.  That'd be the easiest way I'd say.   I've no idea how to do it through SSH either

If your Pi is connected to your network though, you might try just popping the IP in a windows explorer window, in the following format:  \\192.168.1.32  (replace that IP with yours obviously )

This ought to bring up the folders on your Pi..

Tass

Fri May 11, 2012 12:34 pm

Hansel said:

Hi Tass.  If your Pi can see the Key, you can probably just do it through the XBMC file manager.  That'd be the easiest way I'd say.   I've no idea how to do it through SSH either

If your Pi is connected to your network though, you might try just popping the IP in a windows explorer window, in the following format:  \\192.168.1.32  (replace that IP with yours obviously )

This ought to bring up the folders on your Pi..

Perfect - thanks!  I didn't realise I could browse the OS drive with the file manager - that's nice & easy!

Re the network, while I can ping the Pi, I can't browse to it for some reason.  Not an issue if I can do it using the above process.  Thanks for the help

Tass

Fri May 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Hansel said:

Right, I feel fairly confident in saying that at least some of the little niggles are caused by the new start.elf.

Today I upgraded to 10918.   First I installed it with the old start.elf, bootcode.bin and loader.bin and it upgraded and booted fine.  Ran that for a while with no issues.

A bit later I replaced the start.elf, bootcode.bin and loader.bin and rebooted.  I was greeted by the garbled load screen that others had talked about (I've never seen this before updating start.elf).  I also noticed a little blockiness in some TV shows occasionally, and also the "negative" effect when FFing or RWing.

I'd say this is down to changes in the start.elf (I mention that file specifically as bootcode.bin and loader.bin haven't been updated in 2 months according to the repo), as opposed to kernel or system issues.

I've seen the same results as you (garbled logo, negative when FF & RW), but in my case I've kept everything on 10870 and just updates start.elf, bootcode.bin & loader.bin.

piprog

Fri May 11, 2012 12:37 pm

piprog said:

Tass said:

Hi Tass: what I have just done today is I did the SYSTEM and kernel.img update the same way as the other (/boot) files, actually the same time. While the SD was connetcted to my Win7 machine as an USB drive, copied SYSTEm to the mounted folder, and copied KERNEL as kernel.img to the same folder. That's it. Works like charm.

The /update folder method is nice when you don't have to update the RPi files, but when you have to, this is the easiest way AFAIS.

Hope this helps.

Two things:

it was really difficult to get the SD seen by my Win machines; it did not work with the built-in SD slot of the laptop, and neither with an 8-in-1 reader; finally, tried with a micro-SD/SD/USB combo card, and that made the trick -- so if anyone is not lucky for the first, keep trying 
would be nice if someone could confirm that my method is correct; I just jumped in and experimented, especially the KERNEL -> kernel.img bit was a bit hairy, as the RPi repo has another, much smaller kernel.img (that won't work) and there is all kind of confusion here in the forum about this IMHO

Tass

Fri May 11, 2012 12:38 pm

piprog said:

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much piprog.  I'll give this a go to see if it works.  Just to clarify - do you mean I copy the KERNEL & SYSTEM files straight into the FAT boot partition?  Will it copy the files over automatically?  Or would this just be a way to get them onto the Pi, then use the file manager method mentioned by Hansel?  Thanks for the help

piprog

Fri May 11, 2012 12:43 pm

Tass said:

Re the network, while I can ping the Pi, I can't browse to it for some reason.  Not an issue if I can do it using the above process.  Thanks for the help

Tass, in my experience the network in 870 is totally messed up. Even if you can connect to the Pi, while copying to /update, the Pi will just hang (well, not completely, but practically). This was not the case with 710, though, and 918 works just fine. In both cases, the network copy of SYSTEM has severe performance effects on the PI, but it completes reasonably fast.

Kushan

Fri May 11, 2012 12:43 pm

piprog said:

piprog said:

Tass said:

Hope this helps.

Two things:

it was really difficult to get the SD seen by my Win machines; it did not work with the built-in SD slot of the laptop, and neither with an 8-in-1 reader; finally, tried with a micro-SD/SD/USB combo card, and that made the trick -- so if anyone is not lucky for the first, keep trying 
would be nice if someone could confirm that my method is correct; I just jumped in and experimented, especially the KERNEL -> kernel.img bit was a bit hairy, as the RPi repo has another, much smaller kernel.img (that won't work) and there is all kind of confusion here in the forum about this IMHO

The Kernel is going to be specific to the OS in many ways and I dare say the Kernel in the RPi repository will in no way match the kernel in the OpenELEC repository (someone feel free to correct me here). The OpenELEC Kernel will almost certainly have a lot of changes and additions to support things that XBMC uses. In other words - don't worry about the size difference, think of them as separate components for separate OS's.

I'm not sure why you're having trouble reading the SD card, it should "just work". I guess it's possible your reader didn't like the partitions but I doubt that.

Tass

Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 pm

piprog said:

Tass said:

Tass, in my experience the network in 870 is totally messed up. Even if you can connect to the Pi, while copying to /update, the Pi will just hang (well, not completely, but practically). This was not the case with 710, though, and 918 works just fine. In both cases, the network copy of SYSTEM has severe performance effects on the PI, but it completes reasonably fast.

Excellent – thanks!

piprog

Fri May 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Tass said:

Thanks very much piprog.  I'll give this a go to see if it works.  Just to clarify - do you mean I copy the KERNEL & SYSTEM files straight into the FAT boot partition?  Will it copy the files over automatically?  Or would this just be a way to get them onto the Pi, then use the file manager method mentioned by Hansel?  Thanks for the help

Yep, to the FAT root partition. Actually, AFAIS this is the final resting place of these files. No additional work needed on your or the Pi's side

Be aware, though, that KERNEL must be copied as "kernel.img" for this to work.

piprog

Fri May 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Kushan said:

The Kernel is going to be specific to the OS in many ways and I dare say the Kernel in the RPi repository will in no way match the kernel in the OpenELEC repository (someone feel free to correct me here). The OpenELEC Kernel will almost certainly have a lot of changes and additions to support things that XBMC uses. In other words - don't worry about the size difference, think of them as separate components for separate OS's.

Hi Kushan: yep, that was what I hoped for when replacing the files. THanks for confirming!

I'm not sure why you're having trouble reading the SD card, it should "just work". I guess it's possible your reader didn't like the partitions but I doubt that.

Me neither. I'm glad that I could find a way, though (to others: this problem has nothing to do with the Pi, it is a Win issue, but related in that others may experience the same problem -- persistence helps:))

Return to “Media centres”