Greg117

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed May 09, 2012 7:08 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but on the git repo, how can I view what release this is per the commit that I'm on?  In other words, as I revert to older commits, how can I determine the release version?

Syde

Wed May 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Syde said:

dom said:

@artsea @Syde

I had a look at this with Gimli yesterday, and

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp/commit ... 96d270bd38

will hopefully fix the problem.

dom -

Just wanted to let you know, those source changes appear to have resolved the correct way.

It appears I spoke too soon.  I decided to actually try playing a file on composite.  While the GUI appears to look right, as soon as it goes to start playing a video my monitor is reporting a loss of composite signal input.

The Pi isn't actually crashing though, I can still ssh into it.  Not really sure whats going on there... killing & restarting the xbmc.bin proc doesn't bring back video output.  So while its nice that the GUI works better on composite now, playing videos over composite now seems totally broken.

bruceberry

Wed May 09, 2012 7:24 pm

I made a build last night. Tried it out today and I get the garbled boot image, then I see "result = 1", followed by a black screen.

After this false start I downloaded the images on here, but ended up with the same result. Only once was it different reporting something about unkown filesystem.

Any help would be appreciated.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Syde said:

It appears I spoke too soon.  I decided to actually try playing a file on composite.  While the GUI appears to look right, as soon as it goes to start playing a video my monitor is reporting a loss of composite signal input.

Ah – I know this one – I hit it when testing.

Need to set "audio output device" to "analogue (OMX)".

Note: setting "Audio output" to "Analogue" is not sufficient.

Basically we can only drive one of composite or HDMI. And the opening the HDMI audio means the composite gets shut down…

On the todo list to make this trap easier to avoid…

funnel

Wed May 09, 2012 7:38 pm

I made a build last night. Tried it out today and I get the garbled boot image, then I see "result = 1", followed by a black screen.

Same problem I had. Use the 10870 version and try with another SD card if you have. Or at least try reformat the ext3 partition. The first boot takes about 5 minutes to boot, next boots about 30-60 seconds.

bruceberry

Wed May 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Cheers funnel I'll give it another go with a reformat. Just to clarify, should the storage partition be ext3 or ext4 as in the instructions?

numan1617

Wed May 09, 2012 7:59 pm

My card is formatted as ext4 and I experience little freezing or other issues.

The card itself is a SanDisk Ultra 20MB/s Class 6 8GB SDHC.

Syde

Wed May 09, 2012 9:39 pm

dom said:

Syde said:

Ah – I know this one – I hit it when testing.

Need to set "audio output device" to "analogue (OMX)".

Ah, that makes sense.  Thats funny actually, because when I saw it do that I thought in the back of my mind 'I wonder if the player core just switched to HDMI'  I didn't have an HDMI cable at the time handy to see though.

This actually kind of leads to something I was going to look at next.  I'm actually hoping to use a USB sound card (creative labs x-fi pro).  Maybe you'll even know how I can just hack this together to work for the time being... Anyways, Linux fully supports the card and I've used it with OpenELEC (on i386 builds).  The current OpenELEC kernel build basically has no support for any 3rd party sound cards.  I edit the kernel config to include ALSA & the appropriate USB sound drivers - booting up the Pi with that kernel, the card is detected and the device nodes are created in /dev/snd for the card - however XBMC doesn't let me select it in the audio config section.  Right now I'm kind of just assuming (haven't looked yet) that the XBMC branch for RPi is basically just going "oh we're running on an RPi? Ok, here are your 2 choices then" and not looking for other ALSA outputs.

Mainly I'd like to do this because the X-Fi has a optical s/pdif output which I can send to an A/V receiver while using composite.  I realize its perhaps a rare circumstance that a person want to use composite and s/pdif audio at the same time - as likely those with surround systems will also have an HDMI-capable display.

dom

Wed May 09, 2012 9:57 pm

@Syde

No ALSA support. As all the audio and video is passed to the GPU it is not trivial to enable ALSA support.

It's down to whether Gimli (or another XBMC dev) wants to add support for this, but as it feels like quite a niche requirement I don't imagine it will be high on their todo list.

Greg117

Thu May 10, 2012 12:08 am

I wanted to confirm that it seems as though the latest build stability issues are with the new Kernel.  I followed Syde's comment and put an older kernel (I'm using 10710) with the later 10888 system.  So far I haven't seen any exceptions and have been up and running for over an hour with keyboard and external drive connected.  Also executed a rather large library update for a 1TB drive and it didn't freeze.

Thanks Syde!

frying_fish

Thu May 10, 2012 7:37 am

A quick update to my post yesterday.

Setup:

Class 2 microSD card in adaptor

Samsung Phone charger, reading 4.859V across TP1,TP2

HDMI output to HNC monitor (1440x900)

Rev. 10888

Regular lockups, and very slow in the GUI, almost unusable.

Setup 2:

Same SD card,

Same phone charge

HDMI output to Samsung 5 series TV (1920x1080)

Rev. 10888

GUI runs perfectly smoothly, can access files on the network, however some lockups during playback.

I should be getting a faster SD card soon, but switching screen changed a lot which was interesting. I'm guessing due to the non default resolution of the HNC monitor (it is what I have in my office at work, and is HDMI->DVI).

How would I go about picking up an older kernel to try with? I can update git, but I'm not sure how to get something from an older revision.

sraue

Thu May 10, 2012 7:47 am

@Syde, @Greg117: i have done some changes in the kernel config yesterday, because the configs from before was unstable here for me. r10899 and later works *here* very good and stable for me. No lockups and bad dmesg output for the whole day... to be sure your issues are no buildproblems or other issues can you please test with this build done from me:

h t t p : / /sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/openelec-rpi/OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120510071814-r10902.tar.bz2

please report back how it works (please no bugreports about known issues, this build is only to test the kernel stability)
thanks much, Stephan

Hansel

Thu May 10, 2012 9:19 am

And here's 10899 if anyone needs it for testing

h t t p : / / dl.dropbox.com/u/6926994/OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120510162019-r10899.tar.bz2

funnel

Thu May 10, 2012 9:38 am

I tried to watch two 720p videos. The xbmc audio is set by default to send the stream to a compatible DTS or DolbyDigital receiver. It can be easily changed in settings->audio if anybody has the same problem.

When playing mp3's and going to the next song there's a strange behaviour. At first it's like fastforwarding without sound and then eventually the song starts somewhere in the middle. The openGL visualization is nice and runs smooth.

I also noticed some stutter in HD 720p video every 10s or so, but I think it has to do with the network speed. It's happening only with one 720p video I have so it's possible that my network is not fast enough for such high bitrate.

Is there any way to display the debug data while playing video like it was possible on the old xbox1 xbmc? With it was possible to see the fps, cpu usage, buffer usage, birate,...

pandapi

Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 am

funnel - are you decoding the DTS on the Pi or sending it to receiver? I'm not sure based on your post. If you are decoding it the Pi will struggle. I reported this prob a couple of pages back.

For the osd stuff try pressing 'o' while the video is playing. I'm not sure how well that stuff is working on the Pi though. The FPS seems to jump all over the place on mine even if the playback is smooth.

funnel

Thu May 10, 2012 9:57 am

Yes, I guess the RPi is decoding DTS, otherwise there's no audio. I must be more careful next time and get movies with AAC audio.

pandapi

Thu May 10, 2012 10:08 am

try setting your speakers to 5.1 instead of stereo in the options. I did this and still got the sound out of my tv speakers.

I found this reduced the stuttering considerably, but not completely.

Dom also had some suggestions for me. Overclocking was one and not streaming via samba which has a large cpu overhead. He suggested http streaming but i'm not sure how to achieve that.

I found that sharing via upnp worked _slightly_ better than sharing via afp from a mac.

It seems the Pi is very close to being capable of a DTS -> stereo decode. Possibly some tweaking might make it just possible.

Something else Dom said - The xbmc UI takes cpu resources also. Have you tried enabling dirty regions via an advancedsettings.xml? This is something i've been meaning to try but haven't got around to.

funnel

Thu May 10, 2012 10:28 am

He suggested http streaming but i'm not sure how to achieve that.

Probably with a VLC http stream. You make a file with the extension .strm and inside of it the link to the http stream, then open the strm file in xbmc. I used this on the old xbox1 xbmc, probably will work with openelec xbmc too.

Have you tried enabling dirty regions via an advancedsettings.xml?

Sorry, I have the RPi only one day and didn't try anything more advanced yet.

dom

Thu May 10, 2012 10:39 am

For http streaming you need to run a webserver (e.g. lighttpd/Apache/IIS) that allows access to your videos, and then add that as source to xbmc (http://username:[email protected]:port)

pandapi

Thu May 10, 2012 10:44 am

dom said:

For http streaming you need to run a webserver (e.g. lighttpd/Apache/IIS) that allows access to your videos, and then add that as source to xbmc (http://username:[email protected]:port)

Thanks again dom.

I'll try to set that up over the next couple of days.

Funnel - I'll also try dirty regions to see if it makes a diff too. I'm not sure it will, but worth a crack

frying_fish

Thu May 10, 2012 11:22 am

I've been running 10902 since the post this morning.

I've not experienced any lockups, it is still running now, can connect to the ssh server on board, it played my 720p mkv fine. Looks to be a stability improvement.

Smartybones

Thu May 10, 2012 12:12 pm

dammnit, how come every time i set a new job off to compile, its a few behind what everyone else has... lol..

just a quick question about compiling software that may help others as well as me, I haven't been using linux as a desktop environment until quite recently. I am running ubuntu 12.04....

when compiling openELEC, how do I update the content of the folder OpenELEC.tv on my computer so it has the latest versions of all the files before I compile. I have looked at all the help files for the git command, but there is nothing obvious. I have done a little searching of the web, but most just mirror the help content for the git command? I have been grabbing a copy to a new folder then copying the files over and replacing the original files.... there has to be a better way of doing it...

pandapi

Thu May 10, 2012 12:16 pm

cd into the OpenELEC.tv folder and then:

git pull origin master

(i hope that is right as that is what i've been doing )

frying_fish

Thu May 10, 2012 12:16 pm

git pull

should update to the latest version

Smartybones

Thu May 10, 2012 12:25 pm

awesome, thanks guys…

I was just reading through http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html and found it....

Return to “Media centres”