pandapi

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed May 09, 2012 8:27 am

funnel said:

I tired my first bootup now and it won't boot.

When connecting the power it displays "openelec-devel-...", next "result=1" then the screen goes black and nothing happens. If I press ctrl-alt-del it restarts.

Any ideas? Or should I wait? For how long the first time?

This is what happened to me on the 10870 build. I can only assume that my dd command corrupted something. I waited for about 30mins and it didn't come on.

Did you install using a .img and dd or via compiling yourself?

pandapi

Wed May 09, 2012 8:30 am

Some info for people trying to compile on VMs, i can't explain this at all.

I made an Ubuntu 12.04 64bit VM on my Mac (OSX Lion) and i couldn't get it to compile.

I created another VM on a Windows host using the same Ubuntu ISO, installed the same packages and it compiles!

What is that about?

Just for info my errors ended with:src/gudev/gudevclient.c:70:1: warning: empty declaration [enabled by default]
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:76:1: warning: empty declaration [enabled by default]
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:82:1: error: unknown type name 'guint'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:82:14: error: storage class specified for parameter 'signals'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:82:1: error: parameter 'signals' is initialized
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:84:1: error: expected declaration specifiers before 'G_DEFINE_TYPE'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:117:25: error: unknown type name 'GObject'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:146:29: error: unknown type name 'GObject'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:147:29: error: unknown type name 'guint'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:148:29: error: unknown type name 'GValue'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:149:29: error: unknown type name 'GParamSpec'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:168:29: error: unknown type name 'GObject'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:169:29: error: unknown type name 'guint'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:170:29: error: unknown type name 'GValue'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:171:29: error: unknown type name 'GParamSpec'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:188:28: error: unknown type name 'GObject'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:251:27: error: unknown type name 'GUdevClientClass'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:311:21: error: unknown type name 'GUdevClient'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:330:1: error: unknown type name 'GUdevClient'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:331:1: error: unknown type name 'gchar'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:332:1: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '{' token
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:345:1: error: unknown type name 'GList'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:346:35: error: unknown type name 'GUdevClient'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:347:35: error: unknown type name 'gchar'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:399:39: error: unknown type name 'GUdevClient'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:400:39: error: unknown type name 'GUdevDeviceType'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:431:37: error: unknown type name 'GUdevClient'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:432:37: error: unknown type name 'gchar'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:467:36: error: unknown type name 'GUdevClient'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:468:36: error: unknown type name 'gchar'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:499:44: error: unknown type name 'GUdevClient'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:500:44: error: unknown type name 'gchar'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:501:44: error: unknown type name 'gchar'
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:523:26: error: unknown type name 'GUdevClient'
In file included from src/gudev/gudevclient.c:29:0:
src/gudev/gudevclient.h:83:7: error: old-style parameter declarations in prototyped function definition
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:527:1: error: expected '{' at end of input
src/gudev/gudevclient.c:527:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
make[3]: *** [src/gudev/libgudev_1_0_la-gudevclient.lo] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sam/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/udev-182'
make: *** [system] Error 2

Simon H

Wed May 09, 2012 9:09 am

funnel said:

I tired my first bootup now and it won't boot.

When connecting the power it displays "openelec-devel-...", next "result=1" then the screen goes black and nothing happens. If I press ctrl-alt-del it restarts.

Any ideas? Or should I wait? For how long the first time?

Does the green light keep flashing after it goes blank? Can you SSH into it? Might be just your display.

I have had the same problem in the past, on mine it didn't detect the resolution of my TV correctly through HDMI so just a black screen.

If you are using HDMI, have you tried composite? Boot through composite then if it boots OK change the screen resolution in settings and try again on HDMI, worked for me!

Have you tried a Normal non XBMC Debian image, Does that boot?

funnel

Wed May 09, 2012 9:28 am

Not yet. That's what I'm gonna try now.

The green light over hdmi flashed once every few seconds. Over composite after some time stayed always on.

I tried both hdmi and composite, ver 10870,10871,10888. Could be the psu? It can supply only 0.7amps.

Simon H

Wed May 09, 2012 9:55 am

funnel said:

Not yet. That's what I'm gonna try now.

The green light over hdmi flashed once every few seconds. Over composite after some time stayed always on.

I tried both hdmi and composite, ver 10870,10871,10888. Could be the psu? It can supply only 0.7amps.

It could be the PSU 0.7 amps is the lower limit but should be OK as long as you haven't got any power hungry things plugged into the USB ports.

You are getting the first logo then it is just when Openelec takes over it is going blank. but the fact that the light carries on flashing would suggest it is booting just not displaying anything. All I can suggest is try another PSU, monitor/TV if possible and the debian image.

The HDMI/Composite outputs are still buggy in my experience, they require some messing around in the config.txt file on some TV/Monitors. This is best done in Debian, search for "config.txt" in the troubleshooting forum.

danfoshizzle

Wed May 09, 2012 11:12 am

Can I control openelec using an xbox 360 controller?

pandapi

Wed May 09, 2012 1:50 pm

danfoshizzle said:

Can I control openelec using an xbox 360 controller?

Possibly:

http://openelec.tv/forum/20-de.....navigation

frying_fish

Wed May 09, 2012 1:55 pm

So, Pi arrived earlier, have been testing with build 10888.

It regularly locks up in the GUI. I feel the class 2 SD card (I'm about to try with a class 10, and have a class 6 that was supposed to arrive before the Pi) is the main reason for this though.

Video playback, absolutely fine, but stutters a little, perhaps due to me telling it to decode the audio and output over analog (only way I have to play audio right now).

I'll report back more on my results after further trials tonight/tomorrow (where I have access to a HDMI capable TV and faster cards)

MoonBuggy

Wed May 09, 2012 2:01 pm

You might try rolling back to 10870 - I also had stability issues with 10888, whereas 10870 is pretty damn solid (especially considering just how new this software is!).

davide

Wed May 09, 2012 2:40 pm

All seems unstable except the 10710 on my pi.

Class 2, 4, 6, 10 all the same :s just locks up.

And the boot image of openelec is scrambled on all releases except 10710, is this normal ? (from the images I downloaded here from the posts)

pandapi

Wed May 09, 2012 2:54 pm

davide said:

And the boot image of openelec is scrambled on all releases except 10710, is this normal ? (from the images I downloaded here from the posts)

Not seen a non-scrambled boot image on any of the ones i've used so far. I've only used .img release rather than self-compiled system/kernel

Greg117

Wed May 09, 2012 3:10 pm

pandapi said:

davide said:

Not seen a non-scrambled boot image on any of the ones i've used so far. I've only used .img release rather than self-compiled system/kernel

I've experienced a lot of lockups as well with 10888 and 10870.  I'll roll back to 10710 to see if that helps.  I've seen lots of exceptions show up in dmesg also.  However, they are all generic exceptions with hex values.  I'm assuming that this is still considered unstable.

I've tried this without anything plugged into USB at all with 5v 1A power source.  Best I've gotten was about 50 minutes before it locked up.  Most of the time it locks up within the first 10 minutes.

pandapi

Wed May 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Get a few lockups, but sometimes it does recover, it just takes a while. No idea what is causing them.

The state of OE is amazing. I don't even know if they have any dev boards. I know xbmc had one and that OE is piggybacking that work, but still - amazing.

I was expecting to wait months for an xbmc (of any sort) release. To have one available the day i got my Pi (inital 4000 from farnell) was brill! Not only that, but it mostly works also.

I'm currently building a PVR enabled Pi version. No idea if it will work. If the Pi can handle SD tv then it basically means i can have a tv anywhere there is a plug (network via homeplug).

pandapi

Wed May 09, 2012 3:23 pm

First build if anyone wants it! I _believe_ its 10889, but i'm still a noob at git so i may be wrong.

Non-PVR:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2ZxZl ... k5qdHJsd00

Individual files rather than a .img. I've not tested it whatsoever.

I've got it set up in a continuous build environment so i'm hoping other builds will appear there daily when changes have been made

funnel

Wed May 09, 2012 3:36 pm

I managed to make it work. Apparently was my old SD card that kept getting corrupted. Yes I noticed a lot of lockups on 10888, 10870 is stable AFAIT. I'll use 870 for now and if I'll still see lockups I'll try 710. Plugging the keyboard also makes it lockup. I'm using just the mouse to navigate the UI.

Syde

Wed May 09, 2012 3:37 pm

dom said:

@artsea @Syde

I had a look at this with Gimli yesterday, and

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp/commit ... 96d270bd38

will hopefully fix the problem.

dom -

Just wanted to let you know, those source changes appear to have resolved the correct way.  I just finished compiling OpenELEC r10899 and wiped my storage partition to force it to recreate all configs.  I just booted it up and its filling the screen over composite on first boot without any config changes.  Thank you very much to both yourself and Gimli for getting that issue solved so quickly!

There is some overscan issues, but I am going to try and take care of that via config.txt instead of XBMC's own video calibration.

Syde

Wed May 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Syde said:

There is some overscan issues, but I am going to try and take care of that via config.txt instead of XBMC's own video calibration.

Well nevermind that - XBMC seems to be overriding the overscan settings.  I tried setting ridiculously high overscan_* values in config.txt and I can see the kernel log output has certainly shifted alot as well as the openelec boot splash... but as soon as XBMC loads, it is trying to display beyond the screen edges.  I guess using the video calibration in XBMC will be the only way to fix this at the moment.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Yes. config.txt only affects the framebuffer. It won't affect full screen GL ES apps.

dom

Wed May 09, 2012 4:13 pm

funnel said:

I managed to make it work. Apparently was my old SD card that kept getting corrupted. Yes I noticed a lot of lockups on 10888, 10870 is stable AFAIT. I'll use 870 for now and if I'll still see lockups I'll try 710. Plugging the keyboard also makes it lockup. I'm using just the mouse to navigate the UI.

Almost certainly a power supply issue. Try connecting the keyboard through a powered hub, or using one that requires less power (does the keyboard have a built in USB hub?).

Check the troupleshooting power problems here:

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

Smartybones

Wed May 09, 2012 4:31 pm

just to add to the pot…

I use xbmc controller app on my Android phone to control OpenELEC with no problems at all. I used a wireless mouse to enable and set the HTTP control, then removed it.

Also I use a class 6 4GB Sandisk  (Asda are selling twinpacks for £12). the power supply is  1A usb power adapter I got from Maplins for around £6 I think,

be a little careful with power supplies. you need a good quality clean supply. some of the cheap ones available may be rated at 1A but when you see them on sale for £3 they may be ok to charge a battery, but I doubt it is a nice supply that will add to the stability of a computer.

So far, I have had no lockups or crashes. videos play right through with no problems other than the usual stuttering while the menu is on screen etc… I have left it up and running now with r10870 for about 48 hours. no issues…

funnel

Wed May 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Yes, I think is a power issue too. I have lots of 5v psu's but I don't have any microusb connectors right now. I need to buy a cable. Anyway a watched an entire show without problems, worked like a charm. Subtitles work too, and playing directly out of uncompressed rar's too. So, I'm happy for now.

Greg117

Wed May 09, 2012 4:48 pm

So far for my freezing issues, I've tried about 5 different adapters ranging from 5v 1A -> 5.3V 2A.  It didn't matter if I had a keyboard plugged in or not and it still was having freezing issues on 10870 and 10888.  I've switched to the debian build for the last 20 hours without restarts.

I'll retry with 10710 and the new 10889 tonight and pastebin logs if I see any more exceptions.  I know I can pull dmesg messages, are there any other logs that would be helpful?

Syde

Wed May 09, 2012 5:20 pm

dom said:

funnel said:

Yes I noticed a lot of lockups on 10888, 10870 is stable AFAIT. I"ll use 870 for now and if I"ll still see lockups I"ll try 710. Plugging the keyboard also makes it lockup. I"m using just the mouse to navigate the UI.

Almost certainly a power supply issue. Try connecting the keyboard through a powered hub, or using one that requires less power (does the keyboard have a built in USB hub?).

Check the troupleshooting power problems here:

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

I'm not so certain, I do think that the kernel compiled for the latest openelec revisions is extremely unstable.  the r10899 kernel that I loaded onto my Pi today is extremely unstable.  It boots fine, but it doesn't take much to crash it.  Copying a file into one of its samba shares almost immediately crashes the Pi.

I reverted to the kernel from r10773 since I had it built already, but still booting with r10899 system image and its back to being stable.

Also, the r10899 kernel is constantly spewing out errors in its kernel log like:

[  253.998509] BUG: scheduling while atomic: smbd/1229/0x40010100

Followed by a rather lengthy stack trace.  One of these errors is occurring about every 0.3 seconds right from the moment the Pi is booted even if its sitting idle.  Its normally being generated from xbmc.bin instead of smbd though.

the_dvd_guru

Wed May 09, 2012 5:54 pm

really struggling to build this - keeps throwing errors out:

012-05-09 18:38:56 (3.22 MB/s) - `sources/linux/linux-3.1.10.tar.xz' saved [64204236/64204236]

UNPACK linux
xz: (stdin): Compressed data is corrupt
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
make: *** [system] Error 2 and i "trying" to build it on Debian

davide

Wed May 09, 2012 6:41 pm

R10710 with non scrambled logo and R10870 (scrambled logo) are indeed the only ones that are stable, doesn"t lock up such as the other ones (r10870 is the best out there for my pi)

Return to “Media centres”