the_dvd_guru

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Mon May 07, 2012 9:07 am

i am compiling a version to suit my needs but for the life of me i cant find in the openelec folders the

hardware.conf

lircd.conf

so i can edit these for my remote, any ideas where they are

ta

funnel

Mon May 07, 2012 9:48 am

i am compiling a version to suit my needs but for the life of me i cant find in the openelec folders the

hardware.conf

lircd.conf

After the build you can find lircd.conf in /build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/lirc-0.9.0/contrib

the_dvd_guru

Mon May 07, 2012 10:10 am

thanks i will look again when this has finished compiling. the reason i want to edit this is to get it working with the original xbox remote that i have running on my revo's these afe very cheap remote for around a tenner on ebay and can be modified so they can plug into the usb port

Red = Positive Power (+5V DC)
White = Data -
Green = Data +
Yellow = Unused
Black = Ground (0V DC)

Simon H

Mon May 07, 2012 10:27 am

I will be interested in how you did it if you get it going, got a couple of xbox remotes & receivers lying around.

the_dvd_guru

Mon May 07, 2012 10:35 am

not my work but like i said i have 4 x acer revos with xbmc on them and they all have these remotes on them.

instructions here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php.....te_for_USB

Syde

Mon May 07, 2012 3:20 pm

artesea said:

I"ve managed to download and copy the image of 10842 to SD.
Pluging in to my Pi boots fine, but when XBMC launches I"m left running in the top left quarter of my TV.
I"m using an RCA cable to an old CRT 22" which makes it nearly impossible to read any of the text.
Is there a setting menu I can change, or a text file on the SD Card which could be tweaked? If it"s something in a menu, I could really do with a screenshot walkthrough.

I've experienced the same thing using the RCA / Composite output.  I believe it is an XBMC bug and not a openelec-specific bug though.  Perhaps somebody thats gotten XBMC running on the debian image can confirm whether it works there or not.  Though, on the debian image it may be running under X.org, where as on openelec its running standalone, which could make a very big difference.

There are video calibration settings in XBMC that you can use to get it to fill a little over 1/2 the screen, but you can't get it to totally fill.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon May 07, 2012 3:40 pm

@Syde/@artesea

Are you using a config.txt file?

Can you try changing the resolution in system->settings->video output?

Can you try deleting guisettings.xml (I think it is in /storage/.xbmc/userdata)

Syde

Mon May 07, 2012 4:05 pm

@dom

Nope, not using a config.txt file - I did try adding one once to force some NTSC settings (even though they should of been the default) - made no difference though.  During the boot, you can very quickly see some of the kernel log output which does fill the screen fine - so does make sense its more of a XBMC issue than a hardware config issue.

I've tried deleting guisettings.xml to have it recreate it before with no luck.  I've also tried adjusting the height/width settings in guisettings.xml manually which hasn't done anything.

As for changing the resolution within XBMC, tried as well, it doesn't allow you to change it.  Its permanently at 1280x720 (which is certainly not what the Pi is actually outputting over composite).

Looking at the XBMC code in xbmc/windowing/egl/WinEGLPlatformRaspberryPi.cpp I can see the 1280x720 is hardcoded as a default resolution.  I've been meaning to try tracking down the bug, but, well, C++ has never exactly been my cup of tea and I just haven't had too much time to get my hands dirty with it.

As an aside, using it over HDMI has worked great so far, it just so happens that the spot I'd like to use it at first, composite is really my only choice.

rob_brum

Mon May 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Are People building in VM virtual box"s?

My Debian virtualbox seems to run for a few hours and then go into an "aborted" state, it has 100gig drive space, 2 cpu"s and 3 gig of memory assigned to the VM.

Rob

lufcmattylad

Mon May 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Im using a VirtualBox VM... my only problem is that i cant get it to recognise the SD card or any USB drives... any ideas people?

(ive tried lots of googling and no help)

MoonBuggy

Mon May 07, 2012 6:13 pm

If you're building in a VM, you can always then transfer the compiled files to your host OS (via a shared folder in VirtualBox) and then transfer to the SD card that way.

Simon H

Mon May 07, 2012 6:27 pm

Syde said:

artesea said:

Pluging in to my Pi boots fine, but when XBMC launches I"m left running in the top left quarter of my TV.
I"m using an RCA cable to an old CRT 22" which makes it nearly impossible to read any of the text.
Is there a setting menu I can change, or a text file on the SD Card which could be tweaked? If it"s something in a menu, I could really do with a screenshot walkthrough.

I've experienced the same thing using the RCA / Composite output.  I believe it is an XBMC bug and not a openelec-specific bug though.  Perhaps somebody thats gotten XBMC running on the debian image can confirm whether it works there or not.  Though, on the debian image it may be running under X.org, where as on openelec its running standalone, which could make a very big difference.

There are video calibration settings in XBMC that you can use to get it to fill a little over 1/2 the screen, but you can't get it to totally fill.

I had the same (Small Win in corner) when I tried composite, went to System/System/Video Output and Clicked the Display Mode Arrows, the text (Windowed) didn't change but it went full screen and stayed that way accross reboots.

Problem was when I went back to HDMI that was stuck in the corner and setting didn't change it, had to delete guisettings.xml in the end to get it back. Should do it and compare the guisettings files I suppose.

Syde

Mon May 07, 2012 6:40 pm

@simon

Hrm, interesting, I could of sworn I tried that with no luck – but I can't also say that the time I tried doing that that it wasn't after previously booting it on an HDMI monitor.

I'll give that a try tonight and look at guisettings.xml – if that fixes it, it'll make me a happy camper.

Simon H

Mon May 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Syde said:

@simon

Hrm, interesting, I could of sworn I tried that with no luck – but I can"t also say that the time I tried doing that that it wasn"t after previously booting it on an HDMI monitor.

I"ll give that a try tonight and look at guisettings.xml – if that fixes it, it"ll make me a happy camper.

You can delete or rename guisettings.xml to restore to defaults it will be recreated on boot but you will loose all your settings.

Simon H

Mon May 07, 2012 6:58 pm

the_dvd_guru said:

not my work but like i said i have 4 x acer revos with xbmc on them and they all have these remotes on them.

instructions here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php.....te_for_USB

Thanks, I meant how you get on getting it to run on the Pi

I have been using the remotes on modded XBox1's for years but was still using a keyboard on my laptop XBMC, never thought of modding the remote, will be great to get that working.

I will mod one of them tomorrow and give it a go, haven't had time today.

the_dvd_guru

Mon May 07, 2012 7:04 pm

well i am still in the process of compiling - god its taking bloody ages!! so i will post when i do get it going.........maybe some time

rob_brum

Mon May 07, 2012 7:07 pm

If you"re building in a VM, you can always then transfer the compiled files to your host OS (via a shared folder in VirtualBox) and then transfer to the SD card that way.

On a windows machine do you just need to create a 128mb FAT32 partition called "system" and the other a EXT4 formatted partition called "storage"?

Rob

Simon H

Mon May 07, 2012 7:09 pm

the_dvd_guru said:

well i am still in the process of compiling - god its taking bloody ages!! so i will post when i do get it going.........maybe some time

Know the feeling, did a complete rebuild other day and it took 10+ hours, must because I am doing it in VirtualBox and it will only use 1 core even though it is a dual core, says not supported on my CPU. Got 4gb memory so don't think its that.

Smartybones

Mon May 07, 2012 8:47 pm

it took me about 8 hours for my first full build of openELEC, but subsequent builds are taking around 7 because it doesn’t have do download anything during the builds and that’s on a AMD Turion dual core 64bit with 4 gig or ram on ubuntu 12.04

your probably better building your image from a live version of Linux on a usb stick over a virtual box.

if you want to download the image files for my builds you can grab them here, they are both img files from 4GB SD cards. They will both take some time for its first boot,around 5 min i think....

OpenELEC (RPi) Revision 10854

OpenELEC (RPi) Revision 10870

the_dvd_guru

Mon May 07, 2012 8:53 pm

i have it compiling on another machine running Debian - it will be done when its done i suppose, just need to get into it so i can edit the lirc and test it

Hansel

Tue May 08, 2012 4:02 am

Hmm.  I updated my VirtualBox yesterday and now it crashes every time during compile.  That's annoying.

I tried rolling back but it hasn't helped.   I guess I'll totally remove it and install from scratch.

Win 7 x64 for reference.

tbar

Tue May 08, 2012 5:29 am

artesea said:

I've seen that some time ago on my old laptop with OpenELEC. It was a remedied by a keyboard shortcut. I can't remember which but it's one of the keys located close to the Enter key...

pandapi

Tue May 08, 2012 6:40 am

All of my x264 vids are blocky. If the scene is relatively still it clears but the blocks up again if the scene moves.

Also, I get a lot of stuttering, maybe once every 20s. Like the refresh rate is wrong. Tv supports 23.976, 24, 50, 60 and I have openelec set to match the frame rate.

Using marshcroft"s 10855 build with the corrected cmdline.txt.
Other people seem to be saying playback is good, or is that on other builds?

Hansel

Tue May 08, 2012 11:18 am

OK, I"ve just built 10888. Is there a way for me to test the files to make sure they"re as they should be? Not sure if I can make use of those md5 files?

Or, if someone else has also built it I"d be happy enough just comparing the file sizes.

Thanks

dom

Tue May 08, 2012 11:33 am

@artsea @Syde

I had a look at this with Gimli yesterday, and

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp/commit ... 96d270bd38

will hopefully fix the problem.

Return to “Media centres”