Wanderlei

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks Dom and Milhouse, both clever solutions.

I did have small bonehead mistake, my format was wrong, I had "arm_freq = 800" with spaces not "arm_freq=800".
After I figured that;
With arm_freq=100, he went very slow after.
Checked the log and BogoMIPS: 795.44
So I am on to a winner.

@danco, with it saving settings, its not the pesky write protect slide on the SD card?

Mioler

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:53 am

Hi!

I'm experiencing a rather annoying problem with my rPi. I install OpenELEC without problems, and the first boot works correctly, I set everything, use it, everything perfect. The problem comes in the following uses, most of the time just does not restart, the screen goes black no more. Sometimes it can boot one, two, even three times, randomly, after it finally brokes. Really weird.

I do not know if can affect, but I have my rPi connected to the TV via USB, so it is turned on or off at the same time as the TV...

Lately I've changed the config.txt to overclock rPi a bit, but the issue was happening before I made that change, so I dont think it's related.

caravela

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Mioler wrote:Hi!

I'm experiencing a rather annoying problem with my rPi. I install OpenELEC without problems, and the first boot works correctly, I set everything, use it, everything perfect. The problem comes in the following uses, most of the time just does not restart, the screen goes black no more. Sometimes it can boot one, two, even three times, randomly, after it finally brokes. Really weird.

I do not know if can affect, but I have my rPi connected to the TV via USB, so it is turned on or off at the same time as the TV...

Lately I've changed the config.txt to overclock rPi a bit, but the issue was happening before I made that change, so I dont think it's related.
sounds to me that the tv doesn't supply enough power.. try it with a phone charger with at least 0.8 A and remove the overcloking settings while you test

dave08

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Just posting to say thanks to the Openelec guys. Your OS has been the most stable for me when using xbmc. The other two had a lot of annoying issues.

bspi

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:47 am

I have two questions:
- I just installed the latest image to a 4gb sd card, but raspberry pi is freezing when i try to access the windows 8 SMB folder (installing add-ons, playing movies). This is happening very often and it does not unfreeze at all, i just have to turn it off and on again. I am using the 512mb version. Can i paste one of the log files here and maybe someone could help? Im just not sure which one should i look into as there seem to be few of them (xbmc.log, kernel.log...)
- Second, how do i know how much ram is reserved for xbmc alone? If i want to change that how do i do it and what would be the best ram allocation?

batcountry

Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Hey all,

I'm currently trying to install Sparky's latest 8gb image to a class 10 card, via dd in OSX terminal. Just wondering how long I should expect the copy process to take, as so far it's been running for a good hour and it's difficult to tell with dd if anything is actually happening.

Cheers,

BC

batcountry

Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Never mind, it finally finished after a good 2 hours :shock:

jbloggs

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi I'm totally new to Raspberry Pi, and actually I haven't got one yet. But what brings me here is the idea of using the Raspberry Pi as a media hub using XBMC. My Unix skills are very rudimentary and recently saw a Ebay listings of pre-made SD Card image of OpenELEC/XBMC including most add-ons, so my assumption was that these guys have ripped off the good hard work of someone (or group of people) to help the Raspi community in order to profit from it. So with that being said, is such an image available for some trying to get a media hub up and running without having to figure out the ins & outs of Unix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it would really sway my decision on purchasing the Raspberry Pi.

Thanks

Return to “Media centres”