keenan

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:21 am

Scratch that, getting freezes every time I try to access the SMB share!

Not something I can live with

keenan

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:56 am

It seems that all the builds after r11203 lacks addons! Non of them has the ability to change the skin! Also, no idea how to stop the SMB freezing issue!

cpswan

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:42 am

r11232 image (should fit on 1GB SD) and release bundle available for download. I'll drop subsequent ones as I make them onto the same server.

Inaccessible Rail

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:51 am

cpswan wrote:r11232 image (should fit on 1GB SD) and release bundle available for download. I'll drop subsequent ones as I make them onto the same server.
Does this include the passthrough fix mentioned in the test builds thread?

cpswan

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:15 pm

Inaccessible Rail wrote:
cpswan wrote:r11232 image (should fit on 1GB SD) and release bundle available for download. I'll drop subsequent ones as I make them onto the same server.
Does this include the passthrough fix mentioned in the test builds thread?
I'd don't know for sure, but given the timings I'd say it's highly unlikely.

Inaccessible Rail

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:42 pm

I gave it a try but 1080p mkv playback is not working for me, over SMB at least. Also a lot of buffering on 720p. I'm going to try going back to something like 11160 and see how that runs for now, otherwise I may go right back to a fresh install of 10950.

nimdy

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Have there been any changes to the cmdline file recently? I've been away from the forums and OpenELEC for a few weeks, come back to try some of the pre-built SD images but they dont work :(

When I first got the Pi I had issues with the HDMI output. Managed to get the right config.txt settings to make it work. I've tried copying my known working confix.txt file to the new images, but nothing :(

sparky0815

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:31 pm

sparky0815 wrote:
Good morning.

You can download the newest version of OpenELEC images for your RPi (2GB and 4GB).
=> build: r11225 (06.06.2012)

http://bit.ly/KgSvLW

If you Raspberry Pi don't boot:
Send me an PM with informations about your SD card. (manufacturer, class, size, model)
Thanks for your help an have fun

Greetings

I updated my blogpost with new images. 4GB Images in now available.
The 1,1GB and 2GB images in round about an half hour
I will update then my blogpost with links to the other images (2GB + 1,1GB).

Have fun ...
Twitter: @Sparky0815
Facebook Gruppe (RaspberryPi - Deutschland): http://on.fb.me/PnYE99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ScoobyDoo

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Has anyone got a USB sound card working with openelec.
I've got a home cinema receiver but need to get sound from my pi to it by optical spdif so need a way to do this

A low power card would be helpful as I could do with running it directly from the pi's USB port

humla

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Also, I seem to be having difficulty playing h264 videos with main and baseline profile from youtube. They freeze xbmc and I have to either kill xbmc or reboot the pi.
Is it working for other people or is it even supposed to work?

Doktor-X

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 pm

i have today finaly get my pi to play 1080p using build 10902 and latest firmware :P

cpswan

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:21 pm

I put together a little script to repeatedly build OpenELEC:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# Outer loop for build and image
while :
do
  # Inner loop for git pull
  while :
  do
    GIT=$(git pull)
    echo $GIT
    if [ "$GIT" = 'Already up-to-date.' ]
    then
      echo 'Waiting half an hour for another pull at Git'
      sleep 1800
    else
      echo 'Kicking off the build and post build processes'
    break
   fi
  done
  # Delete old build
  rm -rf build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel
  # Make release
  PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make release
  # Deal with dependency bug
  cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/Python-2.7.3/.objdir-target/libpython2.7.so* build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/Python-2.7.3/.objdir-target/Modules/
  # Make release again
  PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make release
  # Set env vars for release package name
  TARBALL=$(ls -t ~/OpenELEC.tv/target | head -1)
  BUILD=$(echo $TARBALL | sed 's/.tar.bz2//')
  RELEASE=$(echo $BUILD | sed 's/.*-r/r/')
  # Copy release build to web server
  sudo cp ~/OpenELEC.tv/target/$TARBALL /var/www
  # Unpack release
  cd ~/OpenELEC.tv/releases
  tar -xvf ~/OpenELEC.tv/target/$TARBALL
  # Wipe virtual SD
  sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/vdb bs=1M
  # Move into release working directory
  cd ~/OpenELEC.tv/releases/$BUILD
  #Run script to create SD card
  sudo ../create_sdcard /dev/vdb
  # Make an image file
  sudo dd if=/dev/vdb of=../$RELEASE.img bs=1M count=910
  # Compress release file
  zip ../$RELEASE.img.zip ../$RELEASE.img
  # Remove image file
  sudo rm ../$RELEASE.img
  # Copy zipped image to web server
  sudo cp ../$RELEASE.img.zip /var/www
  # Go back to OpenELEC directory
  cd ~/OpenELEC.tv
# Loop back to start of script
done
If you want to use this yourself then it's worth noting the following:

The script assumes that OpenELEC.tv is in your home directory, and that you have a subdirectory called releases. The script should be run from ~/OpenELEC.tv

I'm using /dev/vdb as a virtual SD card (it's really a 1GB block device on the VPS I'm using).

I have some kind of dependency issue with python2.7.3 (discussed on this thread) - I've only needed the workaround on VPS machines (not VMs at home), but I've not found a proper fix.

Copies of the build release and zipped image file for 1GB or larger SD cards are made to /var/www so that they can be served up from the Apache2 instance on my VPS.

sudoers is set up so that I don't have to enter my password each time it's invoked.

sudo visudo

username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL

Ctrl-X to exit and Y to save
I know it's ugly, I know it has precious little error checking. It should however work until my VPS's disk fills up.

neilpercy

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:13 pm

funnel wrote:You could try editing .xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

Find this line and edit it to WINDOW
<screenmode>WINDOW</screenmode>

and a little lower try changing the resolution until it fits

<window>
<height>480</height>
<width>720</width>
</window>

This worked when I played with it over HDMI.

If you don't want to reboot every time just kill the xbmc process over ssh and will automatically restart it with the new settings.
Hello, I'm a total noob with linux but I am stumbling around achieving little things here and there.

I am running Openelec on the Pi and I am really impressed. I am in PAL Tv land so would love to change the display settings to 720x576, but can't seem to achieve this???

Do the above settings need to be editied before the build is compiled (I hope this is the right terminology). I have tried ediitng this setting in a working Openelec build - had to use vi (followed a guide) as there is no nano, but couldn't save the edited file as the filesystem is locked.

I then tried decompressing the 'system' file using another guide (can't find it at the moment), this worked, I could edit the settings file, but then couldn't re-compress it as 'mksquashfs' is not recognised!

Any help would be much appreciated.....

And why is 720x576 included as an outout over HDMI (finally hooked up to an HD monitor for a while) where it would never be needed(?), but not available as a regular output over RCA Video, where it is most likely to needed???

Thanks guys, keep up the good work witht the builds.

ta

neil

funnel

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:48 pm

@neilpercy

You can also edit it from a windows machine by manually typing in explorer RPi's ip \\x.x.x.x. It is in the Userdata folder. The guisettings.xml file is not readonly. If anything goes wrong just delete it and will be recreated with the default settings.

phew

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:27 pm

I have installed the latest build of Sparky85 (r11263) on my SD card to see how it will operate.
For your info; I am using an ADATA 4GB Class 6 SD Card and it works fine on the RPi.

I have the same problem as some other users in this topic. When I try to play a 1080p video with dolby digital audio everything plays smoothly. However, when I play a 1080p video with DTS audio I hear no audio at all. I do have a receiver with DTS functionality. The video plays smoothly.
When the RPi tries to passtrough the audio from DTS to Stereo the video freezes every 10 seconds.

I hope someone finds a fix for this quickly :D

I also tried r11264 and no difference at all.

neilpercy

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:52 am

funnel wrote:@neilpercy

You can also edit it from a windows machine by manually typing in explorer RPi's ip \\x.x.x.x. It is in the Userdata folder. The guisettings.xml file is not readonly. If anything goes wrong just delete it and will be recreated with the default settings.
nice one funnel, that worked a treat - the editing via windows trick is SOO simple once you now about it!!

The screeen resolution is better, although I'm still loosing the bottom of the picture. I shall have a play with the settings.

Now I can see more of the screen I can see a red 'no audio' symbol in the top right corner that I've not seen before - any idea what that is about, I get audio fine via the 3.5mm jack and aslo via HDMI when I had it plugged in??

If I could only get my Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo working in Openelec then life woulde be excellent (see here)

thanks for the help

cheers

neil

NisseDILLIGAF

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:32 am

Hansel wrote:
Hansel wrote:...
I was just about to switch to the old ccache directory (CCACHE_DIR=$ROOT/$BUILD/.ccache)so I'll let you know how that goes.
Right then, that worked fine. So, my system for some reason doesn't like the new ccache location....
Any ideas what's going on there? :D
Thanx!! :D
I've been searching for a solution for this problem!!
I haven't been able to build for some weeks now...!!
But now there's no problems... :)

cpswan

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Anybody else having problems with audio on AirPlay with r11264?

I've tested AirPlay audio in the past, and it's worked fine, so it seems that there has been some sort of regression.

Oddly AirPlay video seems fine with r11264 (at least from AVPlayer HD).

scep

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:07 pm

keenan wrote:Scratch that, getting freezes every time I try to access the SMB share!

Not something I can live with
Same here. More specifically, freezes when I try to add mt shared music folder as a source. Weirldy I can add my shared pictures folder but if I then try to actually access the pictures it hangs again. Shame, as it looks smart otherwise and would be a great replacement for the XBMC on the Xbox1 :)

wumpyr

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 am

Trying to get that rpi-cecd hack working. My Samsung TV detects rpi as an anynet+ device, but no remote commands work. Have already enabled http on xbmc. When I run the rpi-cecd in the foreground, I get nothing when pressing buttons but looking at the source, it should be printf'ing.

just sits there:

root /etc/init.d # rpi-cecd 
logical_address: 0x8
physical_address: 0x2000
cec_callback: unknown event: reason=0x0001, len=0x04, retval=0x00, param1=0x0020828f, param2=0x00000000, param3=0x00000000, param4=0x00000000

smuggly

Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:57 pm

I've tried a few different cards. The only card i have that will play 1080p acceptable is a class 10 card I have a class 4 thats to slow both versions of openelec 10710.... smuggly

PS can i just copy files from the uncompressed new builds to update? thanks!

milhouse

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:05 pm

smuggly wrote: PS can i just copy files from the uncompressed new builds to update? thanks!
Yes, you only need the files in the boot partition. In most case you only need to update kernel.img and SYSTEM, though occasionally the firmware files are also updated.

For anyone producing and distributing new builds, would it be possible to zip up just the boot files? That would make updating a lot easier and would allow people to retain their settings and media library. I'd suggest that people only need to use the 2GB/4GB/xGB images files once (to create their SD card), then update the SD card (primary FAT partition) with the contents of the much smaller (and more frequently updated) ZIP files...

sraue

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:11 pm

milhouse wrote:
For anyone producing and distributing new builds, would it be possible to zip up just the boot files? That would make updating a lot easier and would allow people to retain their settings and media library. I'd suggest that people only need to use the 2GB/4GB/xGB images files once (to create their SD card), then update the SD card (primary FAT partition) with the contents of the much smaller (and more frequently updated) ZIP files...
why not unpack the build you found at http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/openelec-rpi/ and copy the content of the target/ folder to the "Update" samba share like http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title ... g_OpenELEC ? the bootloader files you find in the 3rdparty/bootloader folder. in this way you dont loose settings and content and thats the official OpenELEC update method.

smuggly

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:23 pm

So I Just Write Over Those Folders Out Of The New Files? Thanks Smuggly

smuggly

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:03 pm

I just tried the 2gb build from sparky0815 link above seems better than mine on a slow X133 card! Gonna Try The 4GB Next. Is There Anything in linux GUI to write Img with? I tried imagswriter (Ubuntu) But Its not gettin It!

PS Addons Gave me Something about disabling bcuz theyre where errors!

Return to “Media centres”