funnel

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed May 30, 2012 9:57 pm

You could try editing .xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

Find this line and edit it to WINDOW
<screenmode>WINDOW</screenmode>

and a little lower try changing the resolution until it fits

<window>
<height>480</height>
<width>720</width>
</window>

This worked when I played with it over HDMI.

If you don't want to reboot every time just kill the xbmc process over ssh and will automatically restart it with the new settings.

John_McC

Thu May 31, 2012 5:23 am

funnel wrote:You could try editing .xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

<window>
<height>480</height>
<width>720</width>
</window>

If you don't want to reboot every time just kill the xbmc process over ssh and will automatically restart it with the new settings.
Thanks will try that later when I'm home from work
cheers John

nabla

Thu May 31, 2012 6:58 am

Hi,
I have a problem with compiling OpenELEC.

First of, I'm compiling it in windows via a virtual machine (oracle) using ubuntu.
The process of compiling stops and wants me to provide something I don't know, what should I do?

Code: Select all

Physical address of main memory (PHYS_OFFSET) [] (NEW)
I typed "?"

CONFIG_PHYS_OFFSET:

Please provide the physical address corresponding to the location of main memory in your sistem.

Symbol: PHYS_OFFSET []
Type: hex
Prompt: Physical addres of main memory
Defined at arch/arm/Kconfig:222
Depends on: !ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT [=n] && !NEED_MACH_MEMORY_H [=n] && MMU [=y]
Help would be appreciated, thanks.

humla

Thu May 31, 2012 7:27 am

I have the same problem and used to have it too when i tried building with 3.2.17 kernel previously. It seems the default kernel it uses now is 3.2.18

The fix might be the configuration file.

The question previous to it.

Patch physical to virtual translations at runtime (ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT) [N/y/?] n
is answered a no, but i think if it is set to yes

is not asked.

sraue

Thu May 31, 2012 7:28 am

nabla wrote:Hi,
I have a problem with compiling OpenELEC.

First of, I'm compiling it in windows via a virtual machine (oracle) using ubuntu.
The process of compiling stops and wants me to provide something I don't know, what should I do?

I typed "?"

CONFIG_PHYS_OFFSET:

Please provide the physical address corresponding to the location of main memory in your sistem.

Symbol: PHYS_OFFSET []
Type: hex
Prompt: Physical addres of main memory
Defined at arch/arm/Kconfig:222
Depends on: !ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT [=n] && !NEED_MACH_MEMORY_H [=n] && MMU [=y]
Help would be appreciated, thanks.
please checkout the latest sources, it was a wrong commit which i have fixed already.

Stephan

cpswan

Thu May 31, 2012 12:43 pm

Smartybones wrote: I have just uploaded r11170 to my dropbox.... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23834633/OpenEL ... r11170.zip its an image from a 4GB card.....
Thanks very much.

Sadly this doesn't fit onto the 4GB cards I have to hand (Kingston Class 4). I've also had trouble in the past getting 2GB images onto 2GB cards (PNY).

I guess this is a roundabout plea to those making images available to shorten the /storage partition so that the image will fit onto a variety of SD cards that are ostensibly the same size.

cpswan

Thu May 31, 2012 3:48 pm

cpswan wrote:I guess this is a roundabout plea to those making images available to shorten the /storage partition so that the image will fit onto a variety of SD cards that are ostensibly the same size.
I took my own advice and made a smaller image that fits onto a 2GB card.

Smartybones

Thu May 31, 2012 5:32 pm

yeah, there appears to be a big difference between what Sandisk and PNY along with a few other card makers call a 4GB card....

unfortunately I don't have any 2 GB or even 1GB cards to hand to build an image to a smaller card.

Using dd to copy the card, it makes no difference if I make the partition smaller, its making a copy of the card..... including unused space..

I have a stack of 4GB class 4 sandisk cards I got from Tesco/Asda. They come in a twin pack for between £11 and £13 depending what day you go on.... they really are a good buy, not the fastest of cards but works perfectly fine for OpenELEC.....

I'll see if i can find some sort of "virtual SD card" app for linux then I can make 512MB images....

cpswan

Thu May 31, 2012 5:38 pm

Smartybones wrote:Using dd to copy the card, it makes no difference if I make the partition smaller, its making a copy of the card..... including unused space..
To make my smaller image I first made a smaller ext4 partition for storage. I then used count= option on dd to limit the number of 1M blocks. In my case I limited it to 1650M to fit on any 2GB SD, but there's clearly scope to go smaller than that.

malcolmr

Thu May 31, 2012 7:35 pm

funnel wrote:and a little lower try changing the resolution until it fits

<window>
<height>480</height>
<width>720</width>
</window>
If you're using PAL you'll probably want to change this to:

<window>
<height>576</height>
<width>720</width>
</window>

Otherwise you'll end up with a blank band at the bottom of the screen.

John_McC

Thu May 31, 2012 8:41 pm

John_McC wrote:
funnel wrote:You could try editing .xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

<window>
<height>480</height>
<width>720</width>
</window>

Thanks will try that later when I'm home from work
cheers John
Worked a treat many thanks :D

Smartybones

Thu May 31, 2012 9:06 pm

cpswan wrote: I first made a smaller ext4 partition for storage. I then used count= option on dd to limit the number of 1M blocks. In my case I limited it to 1650M to fit on any 2GB SD,.
that's an idea.... My linux skillz are still very noobish,(but getting there) so will be doing some goggling on that one...

my plan will be to add a script that can be executed that will expand the ext4 partition to fill the rest of space on the target card....

Nodge

Thu May 31, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi All,

I've just installed the R11170 image (from someones dropbox from an earlier post). All looks good except that I can't see my external hard drive plugged into the USB port. I've tried a memory stick and I've tried swapping over usb ports but still can't see them.

Earlier today I tried Rasbmc and that could see the drive ok. I'm completely new to Linux and wasn't sure where I should have been looking anyway, but with Raspbmc when I went to "Add Source" I found my drive under Root filesystem/media/usb. (Under media there was a list of USB, USB0, USB1 etc) Is this where it's supposed to be located? With OpenElec though there are no USB entries listed under Root filesystem/media/ and I couldn't see the drive anywhere else. So is it me, or has something gone wrong somewhere?

Thanks,
John

LastSilmaril

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:22 am

Getting the following error when trying to build now:

m4macros/gtk-doc.m4:7: GTK_DOC_CHECK is expanded from...
configure.ac:2582: the top level
autoreconf: running: /home/user/src/rpi/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/autoconf --include=/home/user/src/rpi/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/sysroot/usr/share/aclocal --force
configure.ac:2582: warning: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
configure.ac:88: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /home/user/src/rpi/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
make: *** [release] Error 1
I dunno what happened. I tried deleting cache and trashing the openelec folder and checking out again, but the same thing happened.

sraue

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:27 am

LastSilmaril wrote:
Getting the following error when trying to build now:

autoreconf: running: /home/user/src/rpi/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/autoconf --include=/home/user/src/rpi/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/sysroot/usr/share/aclocal --force
configure.ac:2582: warning: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
configure.ac:88: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /home/user/src/rpi/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
make: *** [release] Error 1
I dunno what happened. I tried deleting cache and trashing the openelec folder and checking out again, but the same thing happened.
can you paste (on pastebin.com, fpaste.org or somewhere) a log with much more output? which package fails with this error?

LastSilmaril

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:37 am

sraue wrote: can you paste (on pastebin.com, fpaste.org or somewhere) a log with much more output? which package fails with this error?
Here ya go, the entire log:
http://db.tt/l0rULVPO

Piminiuser

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:48 am

Nodge wrote:Hi All,

I've just installed the R11170 image (from someones dropbox from an earlier post). All looks good except that I can't see my external hard drive plugged into the USB port. I've tried a memory stick and I've tried swapping over usb ports but still can't see them.

Earlier today I tried Rasbmc and that could see the drive ok. I'm completely new to Linux and wasn't sure where I should have been looking anyway, but with Raspbmc when I went to "Add Source" I found my drive under Root filesystem/media/usb. (Under media there was a list of USB, USB0, USB1 etc) Is this where it's supposed to be located? With OpenElec though there are no USB entries listed under Root filesystem/media/ and I couldn't see the drive anywhere else. So is it me, or has something gone wrong somewhere?

Thanks,
John
Same problem here.

Amarok

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:14 am

LastSilmaril wrote:
sraue wrote: can you paste (on pastebin.com, fpaste.org or somewhere) a log with much more output? which package fails with this error?

I received my RPi yesterday and today i tried to build OpenELEC, after following the tutorial from the wiki i'm getting the same error as the post above.
http://pastebin.com/uWBvepUs
i'm using xbuntu 12.04

sraue

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:42 am

Amarok wrote:
LastSilmaril wrote:

I received my RPi yesterday and today i tried to build OpenELEC, after following the tutorial from the wiki i'm getting the same error as the post above.
http://pastebin.com/uWBvepUs
i'm using xbuntu 12.04
just fixed, checkout the latest sources with

git pull origin master
from OpenELEC.tv dir, then remove the buildfolder with

rm -rf build*
and rerun the make command.

you also can save the whole and long compile and try one of our latest development builds:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 167#p89186

there is a script "create_sdcard" to create a sd-card

luenser

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks for the build, installed it within minutes and fired up my RPi for the first time. Unfortunately, I get locked in a boot-cycle, I can see the OpenELEC-logo, some kind of color calibration and every now and then a glimpse of xbmc - before it reboots again. Any ideas on that?

itsonlyme

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Reference my promise a few pages back

I now have the ITV Player addon working using the latest version of OpenElec (11198). In this version RTMPDump has been updated.

4OD I also have working with a new version of the plugin at https://github.com/MossyTC/xbmc-4od/zipball/master

bendy

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:24 pm

So i am struggling a bit with this, i cant compile without a linux machine.

Could someone point me to a good precompiled img file that i could download please?

thanks

onetootreefor

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:13 pm

bendy wrote:So i am struggling a bit with this, i cant compile without a linux machine.

Could someone point me to a good precompiled img file that i could download please?

thanks
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23834633/OpenEL ... r11170.zip
this is an image for a 4gb sd from someone on the previous page.

Also a guy has a blog up with a pretty good image for 1gb+ sd (but you have to remap the remaining space yourself if you want to use extra SD card space) that im currently using which works flawless for a beta/testbuild! He has a 1gb image on his site: http://www.root9.net/

LastSilmaril

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Compile fails again (gets much further this time).
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/268147/rpi/log_r11198.7z

Return to “Media centres”