cpswan

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 29, 2012 7:53 am

alexeames wrote:Looks like dd is a brilliant backup tool.
dd is great, but use with care, there are those who say dd stands for 'destroy disk'

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 29, 2012 8:02 am

sraue wrote:Hi all,

i have spent the last days to optimize our builds. Please upgrade, test and report back:

http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/op ... 60.tar.bz2
  • if your builds are to old plese update your bootloaderfiles with the files from 3rdparty/bootloader folder
  • to create a new sdcard under linux run:

Code: Select all

sudo ./create_sdcard /dev/sdb
    (insert your sd device)
    or

Code: Select all

sudo ./create_sdcard /dev/mmcblk0
    (insert your sd device)
with this build you should
  • get a faster boottime (here around 20sec instead 35sec)
  • python addons in xbmc should start a lot faster
many thanks

Stephan
Thanks Stephan. I just made a new SD card using your new method. It took me about 3 minutes including the download time. Excellent tool. The only discrepancy was I needed to attach my SD card before running the script.
In a quick test drive, the new version doesn't seem to want to mount my flash drive (with the videos on). Checking quickly with Debian and the drive will mount, so it's not the hardware.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

gimli

Tue May 29, 2012 8:30 am

Known problems.

0rphu

Tue May 29, 2012 9:59 am

Maybe a stupid question, but is there a possibility to set a static IP (no dhcp)? I tried one random build but couldn't find it anywhere in the menus.

Thanks

daemonium

Tue May 29, 2012 10:36 am

0rphu wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but is there a possibility to set a static IP (no dhcp)? I tried one random build but couldn't find it anywhere in the menus.

Thanks
Go to "programs" on main menu. You can configure the network there. IMHO it should be under System, which is the most common place people would look at first. ;)

squeeky

Tue May 29, 2012 6:56 pm

I dont understand why raspbmc and openelec is built uisng XBMC 12 alpha 2 !! why not start with a stable product ?

sraue

Tue May 29, 2012 8:01 pm

squeeky wrote:I dont understand why raspbmc and openelec is built uisng XBMC 12 alpha 2 !! why not start with a stable product ?
The stable XBMC Eden has no support for RaspberryPi, it was added after releasing the stable XBMC and is still not part of XBMC mainline, with much luck it will be included in XBMC Frodo. For the Raspi support there was done many changes in XBMCs Core made by Gimli.

gingernator

Tue May 29, 2012 8:28 pm

The performance of addons is indeed better in the latest version. Thanks for the update.

gimli

Wed May 30, 2012 7:18 am

squeeky wrote:I dont understand why raspbmc and openelec is built uisng XBMC 12 alpha 2 !! why not start with a stable product ?
Because the PI support is alpha and developed out of master.

milhouse

Wed May 30, 2012 7:45 am

Anyone able to comment on the OMX errors? Or have I got a duff board?

gimli

Wed May 30, 2012 8:03 am

milhouse wrote:Anyone able to comment on the OMX errors? Or have I got a duff board?
Known problem on the TODO list.

milhouse

Wed May 30, 2012 8:07 am

gimli wrote:
milhouse wrote:Anyone able to comment on the OMX errors? Or have I got a duff board?
Known problem on the TODO list.
Phew, thanks very much! :)

Is there a link to the ToDo list (possibly this? Though I'm not able to find a specific issue relating to OMX errors).

Kushan

Wed May 30, 2012 10:30 am

I've tried the updated build from srau and it's working quite well. Out of curiosity, I looked around but I couldn't find it - is there any way to factory reset the device? I wouldn't mind being able to wipe all my settings between builds without having to format the card (I can't access the ext partition of the card).

ScoobyDoo

Wed May 30, 2012 1:09 pm

Can anyone provide an updated .img file I can write straight to the SD card in windows? maybe of r11160 build ??

Ive tried creating an sd card using create_sdcard under ubuntu but it gave me all sorts of errors and headaches.

Thanks

milhouse

Wed May 30, 2012 1:15 pm

Kushan wrote:Out of curiosity, I looked around but I couldn't find it - is there any way to factory reset the device? I wouldn't mind being able to wipe all my settings between builds without having to format the card (I can't access the ext partition of the card).
Do you have ssh access? Delete the ~/.xbmc/userdata folder and reboot. If you really want to go the whole hog delete the entire /storage folder, then reboot.

Smartybones

Wed May 30, 2012 1:53 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Can anyone provide an updated .img file I can write straight to the SD card in windows? maybe of r11160 build ?
I have just uploaded r11170 to my dropbox.... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23834633/OpenEL ... r11170.zip its an image from a 4GB card.....

John_McC

Wed May 30, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi all firstly many thanks to all involved in getting XBMC running on the Pi really pleased with it and it seems to be working well. Anyway just have one question, by default the Pi out puts NTSC (composite port I'm using a old TV) now as my TV will work with NTSC or Pal this is not a problem, but I have a small 7" lcd monitor which is Pal only so no problem just set up a config.txt file and set the Pi to Pal now when XBMC loads it only uses the top half of the sceen although video will play full screen ! if I revert back to NTSC then all is fine ? anyone any ideas ?
Cheers John

malcolmr

Wed May 30, 2012 3:47 pm

John_McC wrote:...I have a small 7" lcd monitor which is Pal only so no problem just set up a config.txt file and set the Pi to Pal now when XBMC loads it only uses the top half of the sceen although video will play full screen ! if I revert back to NTSC then all is fine ? anyone any ideas ?
Cheers John
I've had a similar problem trying to use PAL output - if you can get into the system options and change the video to "Windowed" mode that seems to fix it.

Malcolm

normal

Wed May 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Does Openelec have support for r8712u module? I have a RTL8191SU chipset wifi dongle and it doesn't detected by Openelec or even Raspmc.

ScoobyDoo

Wed May 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Smartybones wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:Can anyone provide an updated .img file I can write straight to the SD card in windows? maybe of r11160 build ?
I have just uploaded r11170 to my dropbox.... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23834633/OpenEL ... r11170.zip its an image from a 4GB card.....
Excellent thanks. I'll give it a try when I've got some time over the weekend

HiggleBottom

Wed May 30, 2012 6:17 pm

I got this error after ages of doing it:

tar: (path of file): No such file or directory

Or something like that x100!!
Why!!

Smartybones

Wed May 30, 2012 6:54 pm

HiggleBottom wrote:I got this error after ages of doing it:

tar: (path of file): No such file or directory

Or something like that x100!!
Why!!
a little more info is needed before i think anyone can give you a definitive answer..

doing it? doing what?

the actual error would be handy, not something like it!

Why? well something is going wrong....

at a total guess, I would suspect a file that is being unpacked is corrupt or incomplete... or maybe a folder that is being compressed is missing a few files that it is expecting to be there....

humla

Wed May 30, 2012 8:07 pm

Have to say the 11160 release(by Stephan) is pretty good. Also I used the usb flash drive as the System and Storage partition and that seems to make it more responsive as well.
Having some problems building it though

John_McC

Wed May 30, 2012 8:14 pm

malcolmr wrote:
John_McC wrote:...I have a small 7" lcd monitor which is Pal only so no problem just set up a config.txt file and set the Pi to Pal now when XBMC loads it only uses the top half of the sceen although video will play full screen ! if I revert back to NTSC then all is fine ? anyone any ideas ?
Cheers John
I've had a similar problem trying to use PAL output - if you can get into the system options and change the video to "Windowed" mode that seems to fix it.

Malcolm
Just looked on the Pi and it only has two options, one just give a quarter of a screen the other is top half ! could not find an option to "windowed" can I false xbmc to use this mode ?
Cheers John

robotfunk

Wed May 30, 2012 8:27 pm

John_McC wrote:
malcolmr wrote:
Cheers John

Malcolm
Just looked on the Pi and it only has two options, one just give a quarter of a screen the other is top half ! could not find an option to "windowed" can I false xbmc to use this mode ?
Cheers John
I have the same problem, but on my small screen I can't even read the menu properly at times in this situation. Can anyone tell me how to navigate to this windowed mode? Also I get the top half menu, bottom half black.

Return to “Media centres”