teomac

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Sat May 26, 2012 10:34 am

Ok problem found, I'm using a wireless mouse and a wifi dongle that actually don't work together.

pezholio

Sun May 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Just tried to build and it chewed away happily for four hours or so and then I got an error about my C preprocessor, here's the last few lines:

Code: Select all

checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking dependency style of /home/parallels/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi-gcc... gcc3
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /home/parallels/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi-gcc -E
checking whether the C preprocessor needs special flags... ERROR
configure: error: your C preprocessor is broken - for details see config.log
I'm using Ubuntu and pre-installed all the pre-requisites as per the info on the OpenElec Wiki: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title ... rom_source

Any ideas?

Smartybones

Sun May 27, 2012 8:24 pm

nimdy wrote:Unless some smart person can help out here, I think its a wait for Part 2 of the guide to find out!
part 2 of the guide is out. its already on the openELEC website, word of warning though, since it was originally written, some stuff has been moved about and file-names changed, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work it out from the instructions...

I have been making a few basic scripts to automate the process of rebuilding.. they are not perfect by a long way, as it will just carry on and recompile OpenELEC even if there hasn’t been any updates.

also, as the scripts are just basic scripts, they will need to be adjusted to suit your own build locations....

first script, from within your OpenELEC.tv folder....

gedit rebuild.sh

then copy and paste the following.....

#!/bin/sh
clear

# remove old build
echo -e "removing old data... this can take some time"
sudo rm -r build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/
sudo rm -r target/

# get latest version
clear
echo -e "getting new files"
git pull
clear

# build if you are building on a single core machine, remove the -j2 switch. if you have a quad core, change it to -j4
PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make -j2
save the file and make it executable

chmod a+x rebuild.sh
you can then run the script by issuing the following command
** be aware this script will remove your current compiled files... make sure you have moved them somewhere else before running this script

./rebuild.sh
to prep your memory card....

gedit prepcard.sh
then copy and paste the following

#!/bin/sh
clear
# unmout card
echo -e "dismounting the SD card"
sudo umount /dev/sdb1
sudo umount /dev/sdb2

# remove all existing partitions and create a new MBR partition scheme
echo -e "removing all existing partitions from the SD card"
sudo parted -s /dev/sdb mklabel msdos

# create a 128MB FAT32 partition and mark it as bootable
echo -e "Creating a 128MB FAT32 partition and making it bootable"
sudo parted -s /dev/sdb unit cyl mkpart primary fat32 -- 0 16
sudo parted -s /dev/sdb set 1 boot on

# add the second partition using all remaining space
echo -e "adding a second partition (ext2) using all remaining space"
sudo parted -s /dev/sdb unit cyl mkpart primary ext2 -- 16 -2

# format the partitions and set file-system labels
echo -e "Formatting the partitions and setting file-system labels"
sudo mkfs.vfat -n System /dev/sdb1
sudo mkfs.ext4 -L Storage /dev/sdb2

# ensure the kernel sees the new partition layout
sudo partprobe

clear
echo -e "your card is prepared for openELEC."
echo -e "remove the SD card and re-insert it to mount the card"
again save the file and make it executable with the following

chmod a+x prepcard.sh
you can then run the script by issuing the following command
** be aware this script will remove the content of the SD card.... **

./prepcard.sh
after running the script, remove the card and re-insert it so it remounts the card...

we can then go on to actually making the card.
make another file with the command

gedit makecard.sh
then copy and paste the following...

#!/bin/sh

clear
echo -e "installing bootloader to System partition of SD card"
# install bootloader
sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-bootloader-*/arm128_start.elf /media/System/start.elf
sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-bootloader-*/bootcode.bin /media/System/
sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-bootloader-*/loader.bin /media/System/
clear

# copy install kernal and system files... remember to rename the source files
echo -e "Copying system files to the SD Card."
sudo cp target/OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-*.system /media/System/SYSTEM
echo -e "Copying the Kernal to the SD card"
sudo cp target/OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-*.kernel /media/System/kernel.img
clear

# create a “cmdline.txt” file that contains bootloader parameters:
echo -e "Creating the cmdline.txt file and configure parameters"
sudo echo "dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/ram0 rdinit=/init boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet" > /media/System/cmdline.txt
clear

# copy image back from card
echo -e "Making a copy of the SD Card image... this can take some time"
sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=target/OpenELEC.img
clear

# compress and send to dropbox
sudo chown $USER target/OpenELEC.img
sudo chmod +rwrwrw target/OpenELEC.img
echo -e "archiving the SD card image"
zip target/OpenELEC.zip target/OpenELEC.img
echo -e "archiving the .System and .kernal fies"
zip target/OpenELEC-RPi.arm.devel.zip target/OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-*.system target/OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-*.kernel
echo -e "dripping the files off in drop box"
cp target/OpenELEC.zip ~/Dropbox/Public/OpenELEC-RPi.arm.Devel-Rxxxxx - 4GB Card Image.zip
cp target/OpenELEC-RPi.arm.devel.zip ~/Dropbox/Public/OpenELEC-RPi.arm.Devel-Rxxxxx - Build Files.zip
clear
echo -e "all done.... dont forget to rename to the correct revision numbers"
again, save it and make it executable...

chmod a+x makecard.sh
you can then run the script by...

./makecard.sh
Once the above script copies everything it needs to for openELEC to work on your RPi to your SD card, it then makes a copy of the SD card as a standard img file, zips it and copies it to your public folder in dropbox... you can remove them from the script or just # them out if you don’t want to do this...

pepedog

Sun May 27, 2012 8:46 pm

If you do this before prepping card, zip will be much smaller

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

Smartybones

Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 pm

pepedog wrote:If you do this before prepping card, zip will be much smaller

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
thanks for that peepdog..

as you can probably guess from how basic the script is, I am a linux newbie (but learning fast), I take it I put that line in the "prepcard.sh" script, but I am using best guess to its location. I am thinking just before creating the partitions but after the line that deletes the old partition?

pepedog

Sun May 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Put it in before that, just after umount.
I had a half hearted stab at this a few days ago, prepping the card was as I got.
Got distracted, managed to get hard float xorg acceleration working on trimslice, then ditto with cubox, so quite busy wrapping them up

Smartybones

Sun May 27, 2012 9:27 pm

pepedog wrote:Put it in before that, just after umount.
I had a half hearted stab at this a few days ago, prepping the card was as I got.
Got distracted, managed to get hard float xorg acceleration working on trimslice, then ditto with cubox, so quite busy wrapping them up
thanks again pepedog...

I plan on improving the script as and when I have time. ultimately, I want to make it all into one script, and to exit if there has been no revision since last build.

silver_wizard

Mon May 28, 2012 3:12 am

teomac wrote:
gingernator wrote:
teomac wrote:Hi guys, I've received my RPi yesterday and I copiled and setup openelec to my 4gb sd card.
Now I'am looking how to configure my Netgear WG111 V2 wifi adapter to access to the network, anyone knows how to do this?
Make sure wlan0 is configured as network 1 and eth0 is configured as network 2 (even if you have no intention using a wired connection) in OpenElec OS settings, that got my ASUS N10 dongle up and running.
Thank you, but I can't find where these settings are. :(
I couldn't find either...
Do you mean manually edit this file :?
/storage/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/os.openelec.settings/settings.xml
But I notice this file is automatically changed too.. So where is the configuration?
Any pointers to how this file is used?

sraue

Mon May 28, 2012 3:20 am

silver_wizard wrote: I couldn't find either...
But I notice this file is automatically changed too.. So where is the configuration?
go to "Programs/OpenELEC OS Settings" there you can do changes. you must reboot after doing the changes. also i would prefer to connect to a lan first and look over ssh if "ifconfig" shows a wlan0 device.

jjscout

Mon May 28, 2012 10:33 am

Hi guys!

I've installed openELEC yesterday, and quickly ran into a major problem- no audio!
I'm using an old CRT TV, with RCA video and trying to get audio ou of the 3.5mm connector. In settings the audio output is set to'Analog', with 'analog(OMX)' as the output device.
Audio worked fine with omxplayer on Debian.
Tried typing 'sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835' in config.txt, didn't help =(
Tried changing audio type to 5.1,7.1 etc, tried different output device options. Tried all the obvious setting combinations. Pretty much used up the layman troubleshooter's arsenal =P

Any ideas? Please?

silver_wizard

Mon May 28, 2012 4:01 pm

sraue wrote:
silver_wizard wrote: I couldn't find either...
go to "Programs/OpenELEC OS Settings" there you can do changes. you must reboot after doing the changes. also i would prefer to connect to a lan first and look over ssh if "ifconfig" shows a wlan0 device.
Thanks! Yes, I found the setting page now. It's a bit obscure... :cry:
I also found this forum on OpenELEC wireless 101
http://openelec.tv/forum/12-guides-tips ... orking-101

stewiegriffin

Mon May 28, 2012 8:50 pm

Does anyone know where i can get compiled images for a 4gb card? All the ones i found didn't fit a 4gb card ( they had some extra mb and didn't fit), so i having looking for one but im a bit lost. I would try to compile one but i have 0 experience and this so im a bit confused. Still, i could follow the instructions and videos but im not sure if i would need a bigger card than a 4gb for this since all the ones i found until now didn't fit and i don't want all the work to be for nothing.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 9:13 pm

stewiegriffin wrote:Does anyone know where i can get compiled images for a 4gb card? All the ones i found didn't fit a 4gb card ( they had some extra mb and didn't fit), so i having looking for one but im a bit lost. I would try to compile one but i have 0 experience and this so im a bit confused. Still, i could follow the instructions and videos but im not sure if i would need a bigger card than a 4gb for this since all the ones i found until now didn't fit and i don't want all the work to be for nothing.
That's odd. The version I cross-compiled fits comfortably onto a 2Gig SD card? I don't know how to make an image of it though :(
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

sraue

Mon May 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi all,

i have spent the last days to optimize our builds. Please upgrade, test and report back:

http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/op ... 60.tar.bz2
  • if your builds are to old plese update your bootloaderfiles with the files from 3rdparty/bootloader folder
  • to create a new sdcard under linux run:

sudo ./create_sdcard /dev/sdb
    (insert your sd device)
    or

sudo ./create_sdcard /dev/mmcblk0
    (insert your sd device)
with this build you should
  • get a faster boottime (here around 20sec instead 35sec)
  • python addons in xbmc should start a lot faster
many thanks

Stephan

cpswan

Mon May 28, 2012 10:07 pm

alexeames wrote:The version I cross-compiled fits comfortably onto a 2Gig SD card? I don't know how to make an image of it though :(
Assuming that you're on Windows (plenty of guidance already in this thread on making images on Linux) use DD for Windows and something like:

dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 of=c:\temp\myimage.img bs=1M
More complete howto on my blog.

Dilligaf

Tue May 29, 2012 12:06 am

Use USB Image tool found here: http://www.alexpage.de/

Mike

stewiegriffin

Tue May 29, 2012 1:25 am

Im honestly going crazy with this lol and i don't even have my pi here, i just want to get things ready. I downloaded a image i found on a blog that has only 1.80gb, write it with win_imagewritter and all good but i don't know if this is all i have to do or not. Is there also any way to test on the computer and see if the computer can emulate the pi and start from the sd card? I tried VM from Oracle and i didnt do anything because it asked for image files that i don't have (not .img).
So, i really didn't want to bother you guys with noob questions but im really lost. Should i just download and write the image( which i did) or should i do something with the recent files posted above ( i only updated those that the post mentioned but there are folders there that i don't have in the image i wrote in the sd card). Sorry about the noob question and im trying to find stuff my self but some tutorials are just for linux, others i can't really understand =/

sraue

Tue May 29, 2012 1:40 am

stewiegriffin wrote:Im honestly going crazy with this lol and i don't even have my pi here, i just want to get things ready. I downloaded a image i found on a blog that has only 1.80gb, write it with win_imagewritter and all good but i don't know if this is all i have to do or not. Is there also any way to test on the computer and see if the computer can emulate the pi and start from the sd card? I tried VM from Oracle and i didnt do anything because it asked for image files that i don't have (not .img).
So, i really didn't want to bother you guys with noob questions but im really lost. Should i just download and write the image( which i did) or should i do something with the recent files posted above ( i only updated those that the post mentioned but there are folders there that i don't have in the image i wrote in the sd card). Sorry about the noob question and im trying to find stuff my self but some tutorials are just for linux, others i can't really understand =/
you can write a image you found in this thread to your sdcard and update without having a RPi with replacing from the latest build above:

from 3rdparty/bootloader folder:
  • start.elf
  • bootcode.bin
  • loader.bin
from target folder:
  • SYSTEM
  • KERNEL (rename to kernel.img)
alternativly and more recommend is to use our create_sdcard script to create a sdcard without using a image and write with a imagewriter (only possible with linux)

Stephan

stewiegriffin

Tue May 29, 2012 2:08 am

Just did that. Thanks. Still do know if it will work on the pi. Right now im trying to compile and the create openelec by self usng VM to emulate the pi.
Is there any option on VM to let you boot from the sd card? This way i would see if it worked or not.

Edit : Also, my sd card doesnt even show that its there on debian but works fine on windows. Is it normal?

sraue

Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 am

stewiegriffin wrote:Just did that. Thanks. Still do know if it will work on the pi. Right now im trying to compile and the create openelec by self usng VM to emulate the pi.
Is there any option on VM to let you boot from the sd card? This way i would see if it worked or not.

Edit : Also, my sd card doesnt even show that its there on debian but works fine on windows. Is it normal?
i dont think the Pi builds are working on a VM because you cant emulate the graphic hardware. i really hope you get your Pi very soon!

stewiegriffin

Tue May 29, 2012 2:31 am

So do you. Its starting to seem more complicated than it is,but at the same time i do like to play around this kind of stuff. In the PI i could test everything better, probably 2 more weeks of waiting ( no more word from RS since i made the purchase).
I wanted to have things prepared to when the rasPpi arrived but i think i will see everything better when i have it. Still, i think i made some advantages with that 1.8gb image and updating with those files. Thanks a lot for the help! :)

milhouse

Tue May 29, 2012 6:54 am

sraue wrote:Hi all,

i have spent the last days to optimize our builds. Please upgrade, test and report back:

http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/op ... 60.tar.bz2
Thanks for the that Stephan.

Are the OMX related errors due to firmware? I'm getting a lot of missing and incorrectly coloured images (cover art, fan art) plus a ton of OMX errors in the log. The OMX problem doesn't seem to be specific to OpenELEC as I also get them with Raspbmc but is this a known issue (or do I have a faulty Pi?!) This particular issue tends to make testing a bit of a pain... cheers.

sraue

Tue May 29, 2012 7:05 am

milhouse wrote: Are the OMX related errors due to firmware? I'm getting a lot of missing and incorrectly coloured images (cover art, fan art) plus a ton of OMX errors in the log. The OMX problem doesn't seem to be specific to OpenELEC as I also get them with Raspbmc but is this a known issue (or do I have a faulty Pi?!) This particular issue tends to make testing a bit of a pain... cheers.
what for OMX errors? can you paste a log and tell when you get this? the wrong colored images seems like a xbmc problem too. But you should know XBMC for RPi as well as OpenELEC for RPi is in a very early development stage, there are some improvenments planned and with every change to xbmc the behavior can be completly different.

Stephan

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 29, 2012 7:18 am

cpswan wrote:
alexeames wrote:The version I cross-compiled fits comfortably onto a 2Gig SD card? I don't know how to make an image of it though :(
Assuming that you're on Windows (plenty of guidance already in this thread on making images on Linux) use DD for Windows and something like:

dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 of=c:\temp\myimage.img bs=1M
More complete howto on my blog.
Thanks Chris. I have Ubuntu as well. I discovered the dd command last night while googling for a solution. But in the meantime it looks like a newer update has become available with a new SD card creation method. I'm going to try that - it looks a lot simpler than the other way (which I managed OK - it was creating an image for someone else to use that I hadn't done before.) Looks like dd is a brilliant backup tool.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

milhouse

Tue May 29, 2012 7:33 am

sraue wrote: what for OMX errors? can you paste a log and tell when you get this? the wrong colored images seems like a xbmc problem too.
For instance, I get these errors when clicking on Movies (using Thumbnails view) - the following log entries relate to the process of displaying the first 10 thumbnails and fanart:

08:15:59 T:1233179744  NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false
08:15:59 T:1074262016   ERROR: COMXImage::ReadFile special://skin/backgrounds/Skin default.jpg not found
08:15:59 T:1074262016   ERROR: Texture manager unable to load file: special://skin/backgrounds/Skin default.jpg
08:16:02 T:1207477344   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000003 timeout 300
08:16:02 T:1215865952   ERROR: Previous line repeats 2 times.
08:16:02 T:1215865952   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::GetInputBuffer OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event timeout
08:16:03 T:1207477344   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000004 timeout 1000
08:16:03 T:1207477344   ERROR: COMXImage::Decode m_omx_decoder.WaitForEvent result(0x80001009)
08:16:03 T:1182299232   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000004 timeout 1000
08:16:03 T:1182299232   ERROR: COMXImage::Decode m_omx_decoder.WaitForEvent result(0x80001009)
08:16:03 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000004 timeout 1000
08:16:03 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXImage::Decode m_omx_decoder.WaitForEvent result(0x80001009)
08:16:07 T:1207477344   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000003 timeout 300
08:16:08 T:1215865952   ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
08:16:08 T:1215865952   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000004 timeout 1000
08:16:08 T:1215865952   ERROR: COMXImage::Decode m_omx_decoder.WaitForEvent result(0x80001009)
08:16:08 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000003 timeout 300
08:16:08 T:1207477344   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000004 timeout 1000
08:16:08 T:1207477344   ERROR: COMXImage::Decode m_omx_decoder.WaitForEvent result(0x80001009)
08:16:08 T:1182299232   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::GetInputBuffer OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event timeout
08:16:09 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000004 timeout 1000
08:16:09 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXImage::Decode m_omx_decoder.WaitForEvent result(0x80001009)
08:16:12 T:1135354976   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::DecoderEventHandler OMX.broadcom.resize - OMX_ErrorInsufficientResources, insufficient resources
08:16:12 T:1182299232   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::AllocOutputBuffers component(OMX.broadcom.resize) - OMX_UseBuffer failed with omx_err(0x80001000)
08:16:12 T:1182299232   ERROR: COMXImage::Decode m_omx_resize.AllocOutputBuffers result(0x80001000)
08:16:12 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::AllocOutputBuffers component(OMX.broadcom.resize) - OMX_UseBuffer failed with omx_err(0x80001000)
08:16:12 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXImage::Decode m_omx_resize.AllocOutputBuffers result(0x80001000)
08:16:12 T:1182299232   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000000 timeout 300
08:16:12 T:1182299232   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::SetStateForComponent - OMX.broadcom.resize failed with omx_err(0x80001000)
08:16:12 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000000 timeout 300
08:16:12 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::SetStateForComponent - OMX.broadcom.resize failed with omx_err(0x80001000)
08:16:13 T:1215865952   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000004 timeout 1000
08:16:13 T:1215865952   ERROR: COMXImage::Decode m_omx_decoder.WaitForEvent result(0x80001009)
Three of the thumbnails did not display (at other times they will, so it's a bit random which thumbs display and which don't). Fanart often fails to display as well, although it did in this case. See screenshot for the resulting screen display (yes, the fanart for #9 is incorrectly coloured!)

Moving the blue selection box from one movie to the next (eg. from #9 to 12 Angry Men) results in the following log entries:

08:18:41 T:1224791136  NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
08:18:42 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::AllocOutputBuffers component(OMX.broadcom.resize) - OMX_UseBuffer failed with omx_err(0x80001000)
08:18:42 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXImage::Decode m_omx_resize.AllocOutputBuffers result(0x80001000)
08:18:42 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000000 timeout 300
08:18:42 T:1224791136   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::SetStateForComponent - OMX.broadcom.resize failed with omx_err(0x80001000)
Each time a new movie is selected, the same log entries are displayed. Maybe it's related to fanart?
sraue wrote: But you should know XBMC for RPi as well as OpenELEC for RPi is in a very early development stage, there are some improvenments planned and with every change to xbmc the behavior can be completly different.

Stephan
Oh yes, don't worry - I fully appreciate that, just that I hadn't seen any discussion/acknowledgement of these OMX errors and missing images (while incorrect colours is a known issue). So either these OMX errors are affecting everyone (thus a known issue not worth discussing) or they're affecting only a few users and none of the developers (worst case, hardware issue?) I've had these OMX issues since I began testing OE with build 10935.

Thanks for all your efforts thus far, it is much appreciated. :)

Return to “Media centres”