piprog

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Sat May 12, 2012 2:53 am

Hansel said:

Right. Reverted back and now:

*  No more corrupt logo on startup (not that it matters)

*  More stable navigating around (not as many pauses etc)

*  More stable when starting and stopping files (less delay)

@Hansel: which version of start.elf have you reverted to?

Hansel

Sat May 12, 2012 2:59 am

piprog said:

Hansel said:

Right. Reverted back and now:

*  No more corrupt logo on startup (not that it matters)

*  More stable navigating around (not as many pauses etc)

*  More stable when starting and stopping files (less delay)

@Hansel: which version of start.elf have you reverted to?

That's a good question actually.   Basically, I only just realised that it had changed the other day, so I've been using the same start.elf from the start.   I can post up a copy if that helps?

EDIT:  Here you go

LastSilmaril

Sat May 12, 2012 4:05 am

humla said:

with the limited cpu, samba does not work well in this situation. You will get much better results on ftp,http or nfs.

Aha. I have an ftp server set up but never thought to use it locally. Will try it and report my findings. Thanks for the tip...although it was working smoothly with Samba on 10918, so I'm assuming available CPU is lower for the more recent builds.

piprog

Sat May 12, 2012 5:26 am

Hansel said:

That"s a good question actually.   Basically, I only just realised that it had changed the other day, so I"ve been using the same start.elf from the start.   I can post up a copy if that helps?

EDIT:  Here you go

That is the one from 10710. Thx!

LastSilmaril

Sat May 12, 2012 6:08 am

LOL. FTP would not work with 10942 or 10918 (which I've reverted to), kept failing with a "425 Can"t open data connection" error. Looking it up (I last configed my ftp long ago) teh interwebs say to open your ports (which they are) and make sure your client is in active mode (which I"m not sure how to determine; there"s no gui toggle for it and editing the sources.xml file to include does not include an "active" switch").

One note: taking a look at /storage/.xmbc/temp/xmbc.log, it looks like the password used for an ftp connection is saved in plaintext. Is that, uh, typical? I guess this file is scrubbed each startup, but it would be comically easy to find out credentials like this (if there was a connection error, anyway). Here""s what it would look like (my info blanked out)

01:36:53 T:1075106480 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting ftp://USER:[email protected]:21/
01:36:53 T:1075106480 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(USER://USER:[email protected]:21/) failed
 It seems to be saved in plaintext for in the sources.xml file, too. As for connecting via ssh - my brilliant idea of deleting /storage/.cache/ssh and /storage/.ssh have proven useless. Back to the drawing board...

frying_fish

Sat May 12, 2012 6:36 am

I"m pretty sure FTP has always been plain text. Hence considered not a good secure transfer method. SFTP and others address that I thought maybe.

Shame smb seems to be failing still. Just means I will buy a nas sooner than planned.

Simon H

Sat May 12, 2012 6:55 am

Not had any smb problems here with any of the builds. was playing a 1080 film over smb last night. Only 2ch audio so wonder if it is more to do with 5.1 decoding and smb putting too much strain on the cpu? There have been alot of reports of the audio over hdmi messing things up?

the_dvd_guru

Sat May 12, 2012 7:01 am

smb should not be an issue and tbh i cant think of a reason other than what simon says would cause that, in fact i have so much samba here its like a Brazilian beach party!!!!

@simon

i think we need to have a build log showing what's changed etc. this would benefit everyone in the process

LastSilmaril

Sat May 12, 2012 7:10 am

OK. ssh working again after another reformat of /storage. All the keys in the .ssh directory were previously empty, so I'm assuming they weren't generated correctly at some point earlier. I thought they'd be regenerated if I deleted the folder, but that sadly was not the case.

(wrote this way earlier)

LastSilmaril

Sat May 12, 2012 7:18 am

Nah.frying_fish said:

I"m pretty sure FTP has always been plain text. Hence considered not a good secure transfer method. SFTP and others address that I thought maybe.

Shame smb seems to be failing still. Just means I will buy a nas sooner than planned.

...ya learn something new (well, obvious) everyday. But why there can't be some implementation that keeps that kind of login info encrypted until you have to connect, and then converts it to plaintext in memory, I dunno.

frying_fish

Sat May 12, 2012 8:17 am

I just updated

</p>
<p>git pull</p>
<p>

and attempted to build

</p>
<p>PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make release</p>
<p>

It crashed out early with this error:

</p>
<pre>cp: target `target/OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120512092038-r10946/3rdparty/bootloader/start.elf' is not a directory<br />make: *** [release] Error 1</pre>
<pre> This seems to me like its trying to think start.elf is a directory currently, don't know if that is an error in a commit, but it is the first time I've had it fail to compile myself.

sraue

Sat May 12, 2012 8:38 am

frying_fish said:

I just updated

</p>
<p>git pull</p>
<p>
and attempted to build

</p>
<p>PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make release</p>
<p>

everytime you update you must remove the contents of the build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel (except the .ccache folder). this is mandority for all users and builds here. i think some of the issues you get here comes from not cleaning the build dir and build from scratch.

frying_fish

Sat May 12, 2012 8:51 am

Ok cool, I had been clearing it, but this time I didn't so that could well explain the issue. Cheers.

funnel

Sat May 12, 2012 10:59 am

I found a workaround for mp3's not playing when switching to the next song. Setting crossfade to 1s in audio settings makes it work correctly.

Still doesn't when using fast forward. Would be interesting to know why it does that. It seems like when there's silence for some time it stops outputting audio.

LastSilmaril

Sat May 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Well, after the last time I tried to build, something went wrong and my entire virtual hard-disk got filled up, to the last bit. (I'm confused too.) Me being the genius that I am, there was no snapshot, but thankfully I did have a separate backup vdi that had almost all of my files/programs, so I trashed this one and made a new VM based on the backup.

Out of curiousity I ran 'date' right after I began the build - took a little more than three hours, and should be faster on subsequent builds.

Trashed the storage partition so that the new build would start fresh.

Build 10946 is the first one to be completely responsive at startup, even with the RSS feed on (shut it off anyway), and has not become unresponsive whilst accessing smb or fetching metadata - atm it's scanning my TV shows. (Haven't tempted fate though; I'm just gonna let it scan.) Using the start.elf from this build, not the one posted on the last page. I'm not sure if this stability is based on any actual code changes, or simply because the build is clean (haven't been emptying the build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel folder).

vcazan

Sat May 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Sorry if I am a bit annoying if this question has been asked before, but I have been reading this thread and have been really confused, where can I get the latest image that I can write to my SD card. I have xmbc running from the first even image that was released a few weeks back but I know there has got to be some updates that I am missing out on.

Thanks for the help

LastSilmaril

Sat May 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Just taking a look at the last page, there's a link to somebody's builds here:
http://www.numan1617.com/rpi/openelec/builds/
And I'm sure there are others. If you have a linux machine or virtual machine and like, 8GB of free space, you could compile it yourself.

rey

Sat May 12, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm watching a show via iPlayer right now flawlessly. My IR remote is working perfectly too.

I imported my 1000s of show episodes and hundred or so movies by simply copying my MyVideos database file. The GUI is a tad slow but videos are mostly playing fine. I played a 720p h264 via SMB flawlessly. 5.1 videos are having issues but hopefully that'll improve with time.

Xvid files played perfectly which was my main fear so I'm very happy about that!

Helpme1986

Sat May 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Hey,

Im currently on 10942 and when ever I put the advancedsettings.xml file in userdata and boot up it just slows it right down and doesnt seem to want to connect (no librarys showing)

I was on Samba and moved to NFS (what a pain that was) but still happening, same advancedsettings file works fine on my XBMCbuntu netbook and windows 7 machines

mactalla

Sun May 13, 2012 2:13 am

Does anyone have AC3 passthrough working on their install? DTS gets passed through fine for me, but when I play a file with 5.1 AC3 it's getting downmixed to 2-channel PCM. I've marked my receiver as capable of both dts and ac3 in the audio output settings and my speaker config as 5.1. I must still be missing something.

Hansel

Sun May 13, 2012 2:35 am

Helpme1986 wrote:Hey,

Im currently on 10942 and when ever I put the advancedsettings.xml file in userdata and boot up it just slows it right down and doesnt seem to want to connect (no librarys showing)

I was on Samba and moved to NFS (what a pain that was) but still happening, same advancedsettings file works fine on my XBMCbuntu netbook and windows 7 machines
Hi there,

I had similar problems with 10942. I'm using a MySQL server to store my database, and after booting XBMC showed no files at all. I check the MySQL db and it seems it's created a new DB called MyVideos63 (the old one was MyVideos61). I did a bit of googling and it seems this is just due to the move up in XBMC versions.

I've gone back to 10870, deleted the MyVideos63 DB, and I'm just uploading 10950 for people to try (I haven't tried it yet, just about to head out).

Greg117

Sun May 13, 2012 3:07 am

Hansel, you rock 10950 running great here. Samba copies, playback, and IR remote working.

Note: System updates are a pain due to changing sql table names. Have to reset the watched status for some of the recent viewings.

Also, switched to older start.elf (as per your recommendation). Running great, I really love how XBMC moves down to 10-20% CPU utilization when watching 720P mkv's.

LastSilmaril

Sun May 13, 2012 6:07 am

Managed to watch a 720p mkv with dts without issue just now. The track was being passed through, not decoded and downmixed, so that may have contributed to stability? Still, I managed to scan many more of my TV and Movies than with the last build, so I call it progress. I'm gonna try the older start.elf again and see what happens, but in the meantime try to enjoy a bit and delay compiling a new build till tomorrow.

the_dvd_guru

Sun May 13, 2012 9:13 am

well i gave up on the xbox remote for so i purchased a windows remote from maplin for 18 quid!
but i will keep asking the questons and having a look to get it going because it is a cheap alternative and so easy to come by.

have we come to any conclusion on the build releases yet? i.e with build logs of whats changing and trying to keep them in one place.

also i am emailing admin if we can have this moved into its own sub section, would do you think?

Return to “Media centres”