Simon H

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Fri May 11, 2012 12:59 pm

To try and clear up the confusion as to what files do.

This is just my understanding of the layout but I am not associated with RPi or Openelec. Waiting to be corrected if I am wrong

All files below are located on the first FAT32 partition visible from Windows and probably OSX (I don't speak Apple).

kernel.img and system = The main operating system, in the case of Openelec it is a modified XBMC. In the raspberry pi git kernel.img & system files are the default Debian image. Most if not all distributions use the RPi kernel source but modify it to there OS.

bootcode.bin, loader.bin and start.elf = The broadcom CPU & GPU bootloader which is like the bios on a PC it handles the hardware startup and loads the operating system above. These files are the same across all distributions like Fedora, Arch, Debian and Openelec.

The other partition(s) are distribution specific and in Openelc's case are used to store user configuration and video files.

Hope that helps.

piprog

Fri May 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Simon H said:

To try and clear up the confusion as to what files do.

This is just my understanding of the layout but I am not associated with RPi or Openelec. Waiting to be corrected if I am wrong

Hope that helps.

Hi Simon, that definitely helped, thanks!

sraue

Fri May 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi,

dont know if you already know:

OpenELEC has a own wiki at http://wiki.openelec.tv . This wiki is created for users and should be maintained by our users. so feel free to add important informations there (i will correct any wrong infos) so please feel free to create docs there. there is already a wiki entry for building and installing OpenELEC for RPi, this one should be seperate. You can create new sites and sections like you think it makes sense.

Would be nice to help us too in this way to make OpenELEC better.

Stephan

Simon H

Fri May 11, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks Stephan,

I will have a go at a RPi/Openelec Image install and update as that seems to be where the most confusion is but not building from source as you have got that covered.

I was thinking about starting a new thread here for links to built images and updates as they can be difficult to find in this one. Would probably need moderator intervention to stop it getting swamped with error reports or support questions though.

Anyone any thoughts?

sraue

Fri May 11, 2012 1:46 pm

Simon H said:

Thanks Stephan,

I will have a go at a RPi/Openelec Image install and update as that seems to be where the most confusion is but not building from source as you have got that covered.

I was thinking about starting a new thread here for links to built images and updates as they can be difficult to find in this one. Would probably need moderator intervention to stop it getting swamped with error reports or support questions though.

Anyone any thoughts?

maybe create a wiki page with links to user provided and created builds (until we release this builds byself) but we also should extract the usefull infos from this thread and create pages in the wiki, it is hard for new users to read all this pages and follow the discussion.

Simon H

Fri May 11, 2012 1:50 pm

sraue said:

Simon H said:

Thanks Stephan,

Anyone any thoughts?

maybe create a wiki page with links to user provided and created builds (until we release this builds byself) but we also should extract the usefull infos from this thread and create pages in the wiki, it is hard for new users to read all this pages and follow the discussion.

Ok I will give it a go over the weekend. I have never messed with wiki's before so you will have to bear with me.

rob_brum

Fri May 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Im happy to try and help pull all the useful info off here onto a wiki page as well.

the_dvd_guru

Fri May 11, 2012 2:24 pm

good idea, we need to keep all the builds together so people are confused with all the builds people are doing. i will take a butchers at the wiki when i get home and see if i can put some stuff together.

Simon H

Fri May 11, 2012 2:39 pm

@rob_brum & @the_dvd_guru

We don't want to overlap so who would like to do what?

I can do the image writing, file layout, and updating.

Can also do the builds unless someone else wants that?

A section with known problems and work arounds from the thread would be usefull! Any volunteers?

Any others?

steverdunn

Fri May 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Composite Output

I have OpenElec/XBMC up and running and it is playing media fine, but I have one issue

Config= RPi -> Composite Cable -> RF Modulator -> Coax -> 5 TV's around the house

The picture displays fine on 3 TV buit not the other 2, I get black and white images with distortion.

I suspect that the issue is due to PAL/NTSC, I am in the UK and the 3 TV's working are newer than the 2 not and I think the newer ones support NTSC.

So the question is can you force the composite output to be PAL, I read someone about a config.txt but I dont think that applies to OpenELEC

Thanks in advance

piprog

Fri May 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Simon H said:

A section with known problems and work arounds from the thread would be usefull! Any volunteers?

Any others?

I'm happy to review and add wnatever I see missing

But we will need a final review from Stephan as he is the Meister.

pandapi

Fri May 11, 2012 3:03 pm

i've got it set up on a daily build (if changes are committed to git) that publishes to my publicly available google drive if that is any use to anyone?

Only 1 build there at the moment:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2ZxZl ... k5qdHJsd00

piprog

Fri May 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Simon H said:

Any others?

We need a section that contains the links to the latest versions.

And another on known issues.

And probably another on RPi specific release notes per release.

And a hw/sw compatibility list (remotes, etc.)

rob_brum

Fri May 11, 2012 3:17 pm

@simon h

I don"t mind, going through this thread and posting the snippets of info, I just wonder if it will cross over into the image writing bit.

As others have said I think it should be very begginer orientated as well, so cover, first compile, how do you then do future compiles to just update new files, creating ur sd card, copying onto sd, how to copy new files onto new card.

Have links to the builds, and perhaps have a VM ware bit as well as I know people, including me had issues compiling in virtualbox.

Smartybones

Fri May 11, 2012 3:20 pm

here is the latest build of OpenELEC r10935..

I agree with the fact that it needs to be structured whith builds and issues, but I also think its something that needs to be done on the Raspberry pi forums,

Its all well and good adding it to wikki's but I find a lot of people just ignore them and will just ask a question on the forum sooner than read the wikki...

when the new forum software goes live, it will be a lot easier to keep a forum thread more structured, particularly with the ability to edit your own posts...  the first post will be able to be updated with links to latest builds and newbe friendly instructions with change-logs ...

steverdunn

Fri May 11, 2012 3:36 pm

OK Progress made,

add config.txt to our first (fat) partition or via ssh: "mount -o remount,rw /flash" and create with as /flash/config.txt

with sdtv_mode=2

for pal(UK)

thx for IRC help from @sraue

steverdunn said:

Composite Output

I have OpenElec/XBMC up and running and it is playing media fine, but I have one issue

Config= RPi -> Composite Cable -> RF Modulator -> Coax -> 5 TV's around the house

The picture displays fine on 3 TV buit not the other 2, I get black and white images with distortion.

I suspect that the issue is due to PAL/NTSC, I am in the UK and the 3 TV's working are newer than the 2 not and I think the newer ones support NTSC.

So the question is can you force the composite output to be PAL, I read someone about a config.txt but I dont think that applies to OpenELEC

Thanks in advance

Simon H

Fri May 11, 2012 4:00 pm

rob_brum said:

@simon h

I don"t mind, going through this thread and posting the snippets of info, I just wonder if it will cross over into the image writing bit.

As others have said I think it should be very begginer orientated as well, so cover, first compile, how do you then do future compiles to just update new files, creating ur sd card, copying onto sd, how to copy new files onto new card.

Have links to the builds, and perhaps have a VM ware bit as well as I know people, including me had issues compiling in virtualbox.

I have had quick look at the wiki and there is a how to build section already based on Stephans original instructions, I found them pretty comprehensive. Maybe you could update that with virtualbox issues you had?

Simon H

Fri May 11, 2012 4:06 pm

smartybones said:

I agree with the fact that it needs to be structured whith builds and issues, but I also think its something that needs to be done on the Raspberry pi forums,

Its all well and good adding it to wikki's but I find a lot of people just ignore them and will just ask a question on the forum sooner than read the wikki...

when the new forum software goes live, it will be a lot easier to keep a forum thread more structured, particularly with the ability to edit your own posts...  the first post will be able to be updated with links to latest builds and newbe friendly instructions with change-logs ...

Sounds like a good idea, I originally suggested a seperate builds thread, no reason why it can't be in both places until Stephan starts publishing official builds.

the_dvd_guru

Fri May 11, 2012 4:31 pm

right

compiled this last night and i am looking at the  lirc-0.9.0 folder and you can see below is the lirc.conf file (only some of it)#
# this is a space encoded remote control from Technisat
#
# contributed by Christoph Bartelmus ([email protected])
#
# brand: Technisat
# model: 100 TS 008
# supported devices: satellite receiver ST 3004 S
#

begin remote

name TECHNISAT_ST3004S
bits 6
flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
eps 20
aeps 120

header 0 0
one 170 7440
zero 170 4920
plead 0
ptrail 170
plead 0 
now if you look at the lirc.conf on the Pi its not the same! so where does it get the new info from? i am looking everywhere

piprog

Fri May 11, 2012 5:42 pm

smartybones said:

@smartbones: this build does not work for me at all. the RPi will simply not start up, i.e. the red PWR LED is on, but the green OK LED never comes on (and neither the LAN LEDS). Any idea? (put on a 4GB SanDisk SDHC 2 that previoulsy run the 10710 2GB image just fine)

the_dvd_guru

Fri May 11, 2012 6:00 pm

might be a good idea if we could have a sub forum specifically for the openelec/xbmc so all the post end up in there and not clutter the main forum and also people would find easer

funnel

Fri May 11, 2012 6:18 pm

now if you look at the lirc.conf on the Pi its not the same! so where does it get the new info from?

I don't have access to the build directory right now, but from what I can see from packages/sysutils/remote/lirc/install it gets copied from lircd.conf.mceusb

mkdir -p $INSTALL/etc/lirc
  cp $PKG_BUILD/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb $INSTALL/etc/lirc/lircd.conf
  cp $PKG_BUILD/remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput $INSTALL/etc/lirc

probably you could edit it there.

Simon H

Fri May 11, 2012 6:32 pm

the_dvd_guru said:

now if you look at the lirc.conf on the Pi its not the same! so where does it get the new info from? i am looking everywhere

I found  putting them in here

"/projects/RPi/filesystem/etc you have to create the folder lirc and the files then when you compile they appear in the /etc/lirc when you ssh into the Pi!"

welshblob

Fri May 11, 2012 7:02 pm

piprog said:

smartybones said:

@smartbones: this build does not work for me at all. the RPi will simply not start up, i.e. the red PWR LED is on, but the green OK LED never comes on (and neither the LAN LEDS). Any idea? (put on a 4GB SanDisk SDHC 2 that previoulsy run the 10710 2GB image just fine)

It worked for me but I just extracted the system and kernel.img files and put them on my existing sd card install.

I've noticed a few things;

1. I have experienced with all builds is that when booting initially the picture will overscan the size of the screen which is running at 720p. I then "fix" that with the calibration within xbmc which works fine for that session. Upon reboot the menu screen then shrinks to so that it has black borders on all sides. When then playing videos the black borders remain but at the very extremes you can just about see the video playing behind it as if its overscanning.

2. mkv x264 videos won't play since I updated from 10710 to 10902. 10935 also has the issue too. SD xvid and h264 play fine.

3. I am powering my pi directly with the keyboard and mouse plugged into a powered usb hub, all works fine. Then I plugged my original windows media centre IR receiver (which takes 1A to power it!) and it works fine until I try and access a nfs share at which point it either tells me the share isn't accessible or it hangs. I've tried it without the keyboard and mouse and that fixes it so I assume its an interrupt conflict with the onboard NIC. I need to check the logs when this happens to see what is going on.

I have to say this is great fun seeing what is fixed with each new build. I will at some point try my own builds but can't boot into ubuntu right now as having to use windows due to rebuilding my nas.

Cheers

Rob

Return to “Media centres”