Syde

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu May 10, 2012 12:40 pm

sraue said:

@Syde, @Greg117: i have done some changes in the kernel config yesterday, because the configs from before was unstable here for me. r10899 and later works *here* very good and stable for me. No lockups and bad dmesg output for the whole day... to be sure your issues are no buildproblems or other issues can you please test with this build done from me:

h t t p : / /sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/openelec-rpi/OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120510071814-r10902.tar.bz2

please report back how it works (please no bugreports about known issues, this build is only to test the kernel stability)
thanks much, Stephan

@Stephan,

I have this downloading now and I'll load it up on my Pi shortly to see how it goes and let you know. r10899 was what I had build yesterday though and was giving me problems, but I'll give r10902 a try today.

sraue

Thu May 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Syde said:

@Stephan,

I have this downloading now and I'll load it up on my Pi shortly to see how it goes and let you know. r10899 was what I had build yesterday though and was giving me problems, but I'll give r10902 a try today.

hmm... 10899 is not much different then 10902 regarding the kernel, but if 10902 works there is maybe a build issue...? please also be sure you use the latest files from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot and the right start.elf

frying_fish

Thu May 10, 2012 1:10 pm

sraue said:

hmm... 10899 is not much different then 10902 regarding the kernel, but if 10902 works there is maybe a build issue...? please also be sure you use the latest files from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot and the right start.elf

The 10902 release you gave out (which I grabbed and seems to be running fine), is that running the latest files from the raspberry pi github?  If not I can grab the latest myself and try them, but I thought they were synced up into the openelec git as well.

sraue

Thu May 10, 2012 1:13 pm

frying_fish said:

The 10902 release you gave out (which I grabbed and seems to be running fine), is that running the latest files from the raspberry pi github?  If not I can grab the latest myself and try them, but I thought they were synced up into the openelec git as well.

after this i dont have made changes for RPi, and it contains the latest XBMC, kernel changes and bootloader files from raspberrypi's github

sraue

Thu May 10, 2012 1:16 pm

sraue said:

frying_fish said:

after this i dont have made changes for RPi, and it contains the latest XBMC, kernel changes and bootloader files from raspberrypi's github

oh... OpenELEC actually *dont* upgrade the bootloader files (start.elf, bootcode.bin, loader.bin) byself... only SYSTEM and kernel.img. so you must update them byself if there are new versions, at least until i have found a good solution to upgrade them within the update process.

frying_fish

Thu May 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks, that was all I wanted to check. So the 10902 release seemed to be running fine in a simple mode earlier. I'll have more time to test tonight, with a faster SD card as well.

sraue

Thu May 10, 2012 1:17 pm

sraue said:

sraue said:

frying_fish said:

oh… OpenELEC actually *dont* upgrade the bootloader files (start.elf, bootcode.bin, loader.bin) byself… only SYSTEM and kernel.img. so you must update them byself if there are new versions, at least until i have found a good solution to upgrade them within the update process.

frying_fish

Thu May 10, 2012 1:19 pm

I hadn't used the update process, I reimaged a card with the 10902 build. I didn't know whether the include 3rdparty bits were the latest or if I should have used the "3rdparty" bits direct from RPi github (bootloader stuff, not kernel or system).

sraue

Thu May 10, 2012 1:24 pm

frying_fish said:

I hadn't used the update process, I reimaged a card with the 10902 build. I didn't know whether the include 3rdparty bits were the latest or if I should have used the "3rdparty" bits direct from RPi github (bootloader stuff, not kernel or system).

they are the latest and i will keep them uptodate so good as i can so its safe to the one from the 3rdparty folder

rey

Thu May 10, 2012 2:19 pm

So to update, can I simply just update kernel and system or should I update the 3rd party folder too?

If so, should I just ssh into it?

piprog

Thu May 10, 2012 4:25 pm

sraue said:

@Syde, @Greg117: i have done some changes in the kernel config yesterday, because the configs from before was unstable here for me. r10899 and later works *here* very good and stable for me. No lockups and bad dmesg output for the whole day… to be sure your issues are no buildproblems or other issues can you please test with this build done from me:

h t t p : / /sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/openelec-rpi/OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120510071814-r10902.tar.bz2

please report back how it works (please no bugreports about known issues, this build is only to test the kernel stability)
thanks much, Stephan

Hi Stephan,

I've deployed your 10710 a couple of days ago and it is running quite fine — superb work, thx! OTOH I"d love to deploy the new 10902, but would be nice to preserve the settings I"ve already made. Right now will just simply copy"n"merge the config files, but is there a better way of upgrading than always "re-flashing" the thing?

Also, would be nice to have instructions how to resize the /storage disk "easily" (mine is a 4GB one), or for the rookies to have an appropriate image to download (2/4/8/16/32GB) — which is probably an overkill of work right now, I think. Or probably an automated process in the image doing the resize the first time.

Other than that, I had problem with the sound output (Pana *G20 Plasma), but I think that is under control now after tweaking the settings. A still open issue is that some YouTube vids play very bad (choppy, like 1/4 fps, sound broken, etc.), and they are not really some super high-res ones. And there are some 720p ones that play like a marvel…

A general issue is the 100% CPU hog of the UI — do you think that a GPU acceleration may help here? Are the OpenELEC people looking into this? Overall, RPi with OpenELEC is a very good experience, if the UI speed could be improved, it would be absolutely production quality quite soon. Would be a great promotion for both…

One more thing…

There was a blackout for several hours here last night, and when the Pi came back, the video calibration was off. Is this OK? Isn"t it persisted on the SD Card? Or probably it is when the sys is properly shut down?

Please keep up the great work!

piprog

Thu May 10, 2012 4:36 pm

P.S. Probably someone could set up a FAQ page for OpenELEC @ RPi to make it simpler for us mere mortals

Greg117

Thu May 10, 2012 4:42 pm

You can just swap out the kernel and keep the rest of the files in tact.  In fact just did an online (ssh) kernel swap and so far looking good on r10902.  I'm still using a 10888 system.

To swap out just the kernel online you can ssh into the box then do the following:

mount -o remount,rw /flash

cp /<path to latest release/target/KERNEL /flash/kernel.img

Simon H

Thu May 10, 2012 5:42 pm

You can just swap out the kernel and keep the rest of the files in tact.  In fact just did an online (ssh) kernel swap and so far looking good on r10902.  I"m still using a 10888 system.

To swap out just the kernel online you can ssh into the box then do the following:

You should replace the kernel and system together as they part of a build package changes in one may affect the other. You may have been lucky this time.

A simpler way is to copy them along with the md5 files to the update smb share, all settings will be preserved.

Simon H

Thu May 10, 2012 5:42 pm

You can just swap out the kernel and keep the rest of the files in tact.  In fact just did an online (ssh) kernel swap and so far looking good on r10902.  I"m still using a 10888 system.

You should replace the kernel and system together as they part of a build package changes in one may affect the other. You may have been lucky this time.

A simpler way is to copy them along with the md5 files to the update smb share, all settings will be preserved.

Greg117

Thu May 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeah I may have gotten lucky.  I did check the start.elf, bootcode.bin, and loader.bin for changes.  They were the same from the 10888 build.  I probably should have specified that those should be replaced as well.

So far it seems as though System has been independent.  However, I'm sure if you get too far away from the kernel you may run into issues.

Simon H

Thu May 10, 2012 5:55 pm

kernel and system are the openelec system, start.elf and the rest are the RPi bootloader or bios if you like and are maintained by the foundation.

pandapi

Thu May 10, 2012 6:33 pm

10902 build is a great improvement. Ui much more responsive and I can now play DTS decoded on the Pi. Fan-tas-tic!
So was the kernel probs stressing the CPU hence maxing it out with decoded DTS?

Tried enabling dirty regions. It doesn"t really work. Screen blanks out unless I"m moving around in the UI. CPU usage does drop below 100% though so there is more improvement performance wise to get out of this baby if that can be made to work.

Still got issues with a couple of files (blocky and hissing sound) but I don"t think they"re worth investigating at this early stage.

Great work once again

the_dvd_guru

Thu May 10, 2012 7:16 pm

right i built a new linux system today running unbuntu so i am trying to compile this. hopefully i will get somewhere now and maybe i can edit the lirc file. on a side note why cant i edit it as it is?

Simon H

Thu May 10, 2012 7:32 pm

the_dvd_guru said:

right i built a new linux system today running unbuntu so i am trying to compile this. hopefully i will get somewhere now and maybe i can edit the lirc file. on a side note why cant i edit it as it is?

I'm no expert but I think its because the OS is loaded into a ram disk from the system file and the ext4 partition is just config files and anything else you want to put on it so you can't edit the etc folder directly.

I tries editing the lircd.config and hardware.conf by adding them into /projects/RPi/filesystem/etc you have to create the folder lirc and the files then when you compile it they appear in the system when you ssh into the Pi, didn't work though!

A quick search seemed to point to lirc not being supported properly or different type in openelec but not sure of that.

Earlier I spotted modprobe.d and a remotes.conf in the smb share 'configfiles', I wonder if they could be used to configure it? I haven't had time to investigate yet.

Just my findings so far so might help!

the_dvd_guru

Thu May 10, 2012 7:34 pm

ye tried that and it did not work

the_dvd_guru

Thu May 10, 2012 7:36 pm

@sraue

could do with a little help on this if you have got time...

littlecharva

Thu May 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have wifi working on their OpenELEC?  I'm still struggling to get it working on mine and it would be useful to know if it's a problem with my specific setup, or if no-one has wifi working.

Anthony

iDunc

Thu May 10, 2012 7:37 pm

OK quick question fellow Pi-ers..

I've had success with getting a .img onto my sd card, but how do I get the files and folders onto a sd card?

Im using OSX

And many thanks to the people creating these great distributions so we can all enjoy our pi's

Simon H

Thu May 10, 2012 7:42 pm

the_dvd_guru said:

ye tried that and it did not work

Just found this here

http://openelec.tv/forum/19-fe.....lircatiusb

Doesn't look good!

Quote:

lircd is no longer used in OpenELEC, so using an lircd.conf will not work, even in /storage/.config

sraue is the lead developer for OpenELEC and has been integrating support for remotes as quickly as possible and I'm sure he's aware of your requirement as he regularly checks the forums.

Return to “Media centres”