Syde
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 11:31 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 7:20 pm

smartybones said:


the only problems with playback and stuttering I get is from LOTR, a 1080p DTS, the file is 26GB....  I think its more to do with network speeds than the Pi or OpenELEC...

Everything else plays fine, I use Serviio to serve up my media via UPnP...


Thats not network speed issue unless you are running on 10mbit network.

Don't have the exact time on any of the LOTR movies, but they are all 3+ hours, so 26GB @ 3 hours = 8GB per hour = 2.5 MB/s.  a 100mbit network can peak at about 12 MB/s, and certainly hitting 10MB/s shouldn't be a problem.  Mind you, that is assuming a constant bitrate for the video, which it likely isn't, but I don't think it would ever max out 100mbit.

PS. I have a similarly sized movie that played nearly stutter free.  It gave the occasional stutter, but since I was using the Pi's analog audio output, I mostly put the blame on the Pi's CPU having to decode the DTS audio instead of just passing it through to an A/V receiver.  I was serving my files up via samba running on a freebsd server.

humla
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 7:25 pm

dom said:


nimdy said:


Dom I'm finding my SMB shares are a little laggy. What would you recommend I install on my Windows PC (where my 2TB media HDD is attached) to make my media sharable on the methods you recommend? I would need it to coexist with my other PCs which still use SMB.


I use hanewin nfs server (http://www.hanewin.net/nfs-e.htm) on Windows 7. It's not free but you get a free month's trial to see if it works.


I use FTP and it gives fast transmission speed as well. You can try http://filezilla-project.org/d.....ype=server (FileZilla server). Its free.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5288
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 7:34 pm

the_dvd_guru said:


no problems here with "stuttering" the only problem i had when i tried to play saving private ryan which is a 1080p which is a M2TS  with a bit rate of around 36,000 but everything else plays fine and dandy


Remuxing into mkv will help. M2TS seems to require a lot more ARM effort to demux.

A little overclocking also helps...

the_dvd_guru
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 8:22 pm

no chance of that, i have 6tb nas drive to serve my revo's + the tv the Pi will have to do without that!!!

nimdy
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 pm

I'll have a go at FTP serving up my media.

I've been playing around with having a MySQL DB on my home server to connect the Pi to. I've been following this quide: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php....._libraries but I think because the Pi build is v12 and the stable Windows build is v11, both devices have created their own video DBs (myvideos58, myvideos61), so I think they wont be able to talk to each other.

Is there a way of making the Pi build talk to the older myvideos58 DB, or would it be easier to install the nightly Windows build so that it connects to myvideos61?

the_dvd_guru
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 8:51 pm

to be honest i have always used samba shares for all my media and never once had a problem with the lan speed.

like i said i have 6tb NAS servinng all 4 of the revo's and 1 x smart tv and iphones/ipad and it work fantastic no buffering issues at all and its using samba shares

pandapi
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 8:56 pm

Not having much luck here. Used dd to put 10870 (page 23) on my card, figured I try it before trying to solve my stuttering prob.
Took 2 hours to copy on. So far been waiting 20mins for first boot.

the_dvd_guru
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 8:59 pm

i would say thats not working! 2 hours to copy???

Simon H
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 9:18 pm

the_dvd_guru said:


to be honest i have always used samba shares for all my media and never once had a problem with the lan speed.

like i said i have 6tb NAS servinng all 4 of the revo's and 1 x smart tv and iphones/ipad and it work fantastic no buffering issues at all and its using samba shares



+ 1 to that I use samba to a windows server from XBox1's, dual core laptop and the Pi and have not trouble streaming 1080p video over a 100mb network. Barking up the wrong tree there I think.

Smartybones
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 9:18 pm

was it from the file on my link? its a image from a 4GB card

2 hours to copy is deffo not right, maybe 5 min at the most.maybe a faulty card?

Simon H
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 9:21 pm

nimdy said:


I'll have a go at FTP serving up my media.

I've been playing around with having a MySQL DB on my home server to connect the Pi to. I've been following this quide: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php....._libraries but I think because the Pi build is v12 and the stable Windows build is v11, both devices have created their own video DBs (myvideos58, myvideos61), so I think they wont be able to talk to each other.

Is there a way of making the Pi build talk to the older myvideos58 DB, or would it be easier to install the nightly Windows build so that it connects to myvideos61?



Had the same problem, had to install a V12 nightly build on my other machines (Apart from the XBox1 which is not supported any more, will be retired when more Pi's are forthcoming) to share the same library. Apart from that it works great.

Hansel
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 9:26 pm

numan1617 said:


R10888

Finished compiling R10888 last night.

http://www.numan1617.com/rpi/o.....ec/builds/



Ok, I built 10888 myself yesterday and have compared the file sizes with numan's build above:

Kernel:

Mine: 10 026KB

His:  10 026KB

SYSTEM:

Mine:  76 028KB

His:  76 012KB

Why would that be?

nimdy
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 9:30 pm

Simon H said:


nimdy said:


I'll have a go at FTP serving up my media.

I've been playing around with having a MySQL DB on my home server to connect the Pi to. I've been following this quide: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php....._libraries but I think because the Pi build is v12 and the stable Windows build is v11, both devices have created their own video DBs (myvideos58, myvideos61), so I think they wont be able to talk to each other.

Is there a way of making the Pi build talk to the older myvideos58 DB, or would it be easier to install the nightly Windows build so that it connects to myvideos61?


Had the same problem, had to install a V12 nightly build on my other machines (Apart from the XBox1 which is not supported any more, will be retired when more Pi's are forthcoming) to share the same library. Apart from that it works great.



Which version did you download Simon? I've tried the newest nightly build, but it tries to create myvideos63 now!

Simon H
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 9:46 pm

nimdy said:


Which version did you download Simon? I've tried the newest nightly build, but it tries to create myvideos63 now!



02/05/2012 nightly build. Interesting, hope they aren't going to keep changing it, suppose they will settle on one when it is released. Really screws things up when you are not using the same system for all your XBMC's

I suppose Openelec went with V12 because it is the latest under development. The xbmc-rpi fork of the main xbmc from the xbmc guys is still using V11 I believe.

pandapi
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 9:54 pm

I think my cards might just be slow. The 10855 build took about 50mins and that was a 2gb image instead of 4gb

Gone back to that build now. The blockiness is only on certain films. Not got the mediainfo on them yet.

I"ve got somewhere with the stuttering though. I tried with both afp (from hackintosh, couldn"t get anything else to work) and via upnp and both stuttered every 20-30s on certain films.
Then I set xbmc to passthrough the audio rather than decode to speakers. I couldn"t hear the sound through my tv as expected but the video also stopped stuttering!
I have stuttering when decoding DTS audio to stereo by the look of it but it copes with DD5.1 ok. Does decoding DTS take more resources thus maxing out the ARM?

Been looking at the OSD (o on keyboard while playing). The fps seems to be all over the place even with smooth playback. Is this just something that isn"t working too well yet?

Progress! Yay!

pandapi
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 10:04 pm

In fact, decoding DTS to 5.1 speakers seems to work for some films (plays through tv). So it"s only stuttering when decoding DTS to stereo.
Hopefully that info will help some devs at some point

Will come back to the blockiness as I"m done in for tonight.

User avatar
fodi
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 pm

pandapi said:


I have stuttering when decoding DTS audio to stereo by the look of it but it copes with DD5.1 ok. Does decoding DTS take more resources thus maxing out the ARM?


i guess it needs more resources because of the bitrate difference (ac3 is usually 384-448 kbit/s, while dts is 768 or 1536 kbit/s). but of course there might be some computing differences between them that makes the dts more resource-hungry

Blokie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:23 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Simon H said:


nimdy said:


Which version did you download Simon? I've tried the newest nightly build, but it tries to create myvideos63 now!


02/05/2012 nightly build. Interesting, hope they aren't going to keep changing it, suppose they will settle on one when it is released. Really screws things up when you are not using the same system for all your XBMC's

I suppose Openelec went with V12 because it is the latest under development. The xbmc-rpi fork of the main xbmc from the xbmc guys is still using V11 I believe.


You can force the XBMC install to use a specified mysql database by simply adding <name>MyVideos60</name> to the  <videodatabase> section within your advancedsettings.xml file.

Hansel
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Hansel said:


numan1617 said:


R10888

Finished compiling R10888 last night.

http://www.numan1617.com/rpi/o.....ec/builds/



Ok, I built 10888 myself yesterday and have compared the file sizes with numan's build above:

Kernel:

Mine: 10 026KB

His:  10 026KB

SYSTEM:

Mine:  76 028KB

His:  76 012KB

Why would that be?


Quick bump.    I'm pretty new to Linux (surprised? ) but just want to know if it's expected for slight variations like this to happen when building, or should everyone end up with exactly the same file...

Thanks

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5288
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 08, 2012 11:10 pm

fodi said:

i guess it needs more resources because of the bitrate difference (ac3 is usually 384-448 kbit/s, while dts is 768 or 1536 kbit/s). but of course there might be some computing differences between them that makes the dts more resource-hungry
Just running 6 channel DTS decode on ARM requires ~50% of CPU. AC3 was more like 30%.

Network at BluRay data rates is something like 20% CPU. Less with http. More with SMB.

Demuxing and passing data to GPU maybe 20%.

XBMC GUI > 50% ?

The ARM really struggles.

Realistically you can play BluRay quality video if audio is offloaded from ARM. e.g. passthrough, or GPU decode (which would need extra codec licensing).

I would say 720p video is the limit when ARM is decoding audio.

You get better performance with omxplayer (with no GUI).

I was able to watch a whole BluRay (remuxed into mkv, but untouched otherwise. Audio was DTS) with omxplayer and ARM audio decode, but that needed significant overclocking...

pandapi
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed May 09, 2012 5:59 am

Thanks Dom.

How are you sharing via http?

Wonder if it might be worth trying out plex and plexbmc. That way my "server" could decode the audio if needed.
Anyone tried plexbmc on the Pi?

I noticed that xbmc uses omxplayer. Does the ui still take resources when a video is playing then?

rob_brum
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:22 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed May 09, 2012 6:14 am

How do you compile/get the different builds, R10888 etc ?

Rob

Simon H
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed May 09, 2012 7:27 am

How do you compile/get the different builds, R10888 etc ?

Rob

Read the very first post and all the others in this thread thats what its all about.

davide
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed May 09, 2012 7:36 am

Almost every built I tried freezes at random :s from 30s to 30minutes.

Tried different SDcards, from the compatibil list, got a straight power plug with 2a.

I don't get it probably due to the alpha stage experiments :p

Or my pi is damaged :'(

funnel
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 8:00 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed May 09, 2012 8:26 am

I tired my first bootup now and it won't boot.

When connecting the power it displays "openelec-devel-...", next "result=1" then the screen goes black and nothing happens. If I press ctrl-alt-del it restarts.

Any ideas? Or should I wait? For how long the first time?

Return to “Media centres”