nimdy

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu May 03, 2012 1:40 pm

@littlecharva

Thats a +1 for me too. I've tried the recent build with wifi drivers, but still no luck. I've tried booting with and without the ethernet plugged in and also with and without the wifi settings setup in the Openelec settings program.

Also cant get iplayer working on it either, but thats not as important to me. I've tried tweaking stream size settings and CDM settings, but no luck.

Simon H

Thu May 03, 2012 1:46 pm

pandapi said:

Will the following be possible using Openelec on RPi:

1 - Network boot from an image on the network

2 - Have multiple clients read/write back to a single /storage partition on the network?

Thanks

What are you trying to do?

If you are trying to use the same media files across multiple clients this can be done using Windows or Linux shares or XBMC will even find other XBMC's and play whatever they have on them over the network, it is also possible to have a network library shared by all the clients so it remembers what you have watched and even where in a program/movie you got to.

You don't need to network boot, all the paths to files, library or even settings are configurable.

pandapi

Thu May 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Simon H said:

pandapi said:

2 - Have multiple clients read/write back to a single /storage partition on the network?

Thanks

If you are trying to use the same media files across multiple clients this can be done using Windows or Linux shares or XBMC will even find other XBMC's and play whatever they have on them over the network, it is also possible to have a network library shared by all the clients so it remembers what you have watched and even where in a program/movie you got to.

You don't need to network boot, all the paths to files, library or even settings are configurable.

I want to network boot so i can update the image once and have a number of Pis (eventually) boot to that new image.

So unless i can automate upgrading of a number of Pis then yes, i do want to network boot. Openelec can network boot i believe, its just whether it will be able to on the Pi

A network share for my media library would solve my other issue though. Simple solution. Thanks

Simon H

Thu May 03, 2012 2:14 pm

pandapi said:

Simon H said:

pandapi said:

Thanks

I want to network boot so i can update the image once and have a number of Pis (eventually) boot to that new image.

So unless i can automate upgrading of a number of Pis then yes, i do want to network boot. Openelec can network boot i believe, its just whether it will be able to on the Pi

A network share for my media library would solve my other issue though. Simple solution. Thanks

The Pi must boot from the SD card something to do with it starting in the GPU first so I don't think that will be possible.

OpenELEC are intending to make there distro auto updating I read when they first started the project, I think they are working on that feature as this isn't even a release we are building at the moment, I guess the update feature will be in the released image when it comes.

masterluke

Thu May 03, 2012 2:14 pm

Most DVD's will probably be MPEG2 which is not supported for GPU decoding due to licensing restrictions. Also - are CSS and region coding removed already from the ISO's as that could be an issue too?

masterluke

Thu May 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Simon H said:

The Pi must boot from the SD card something to do with it starting in the GPU first so I don't think that will be possible.

I cant see why you cant boot from the SD card and then revert to program code that is run from a remote location.

pandapi

Thu May 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Simon H said:

pandapi said:

Simon H said:

pandapi said:

1 – Network boot from an image on the network

2 – Have multiple clients read/write back to a single /storage partition on the network?

Thanks

If you are trying to use the same media files across multiple clients this can be done using Windows or Linux shares or XBMC will even find other XBMC"s and play whatever they have on them over the network, it is also possible to have a network library shared by all the clients so it remembers what you have watched and even where in a program/movie you got to.

You don"t need to network boot, all the paths to files, library or even settings are configurable.

OpenELEC are intending to make there distro auto updating I read when they first started the project, I think they are working on that feature as this isn't even a release we are building at the moment, I guess the update feature will be in the released image when it comes.

I think you can do it by having _something_ on the card that boots from the network. So yeah, you still need to have the card for the GPU stuff (used for initial boot) and _something_ to do the network boot, but that should be a fairly generic RPi specific PXE boot thing, rather than Openelec's problem.

Just wondering whether it would work.

Hopefully i won't have long to wait to find out.

I might compile a few things into openelec myself, so i'm not sure the auto-updating is for me tbh.

Cheers.

Edit - masterluke beat me to it and explained it better in fewer words.

Simon H

Thu May 03, 2012 2:39 pm

masterluke said:

Simon H said:

I cant see why you cant boot from the SD card and then revert to program code that is run from a remote location.

It is pretty well integrated into the kernel as an all in one system so I am guessing splitting it up wouldn't be easy maybe @sraue can answer that, I just know that the main kernel has to boot from the SD card.

People in other threads have built a seperate XBMC folder from the git xbmc-rpi project that runs under a standard debian image so that might be the way to go if you want a network run but the kernel and other files in the FAT32 partition will still need updating from time to time.

Personally I like the all in one system as it should be faster as it is a bare bones kernel and if it auto updates in the future that will be great.

pandapi

Thu May 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Simon H said:

masterluke said:

Simon H said:

The Pi must boot from the SD card something to do with it starting in the GPU first so I don"t think that will be possible.

It is pretty well integrated into the kernel as an all in one system so I am guessing splitting it up wouldn't be easy maybe @sraue can answer that, I just know that the main kernel has to boot from the SD card.

People in other threads have built a seperate XBMC folder from the git xbmc-rpi project that runs under a standard debian image so that might be the way to go if you want a network run but the kernel and other files in the FAT32 partition will still need updating from time to time.

Personally I like the all in one system as it should be faster as it is a bare bones kernel and if it auto updates in the future that will be great.

Hmmm, good points about the kernel, i think (i not 100% on this yet)

I might have a rethink of how i want all my bits and bobs to hang together. I've got some utils i've written myself i want to run, i might be able to host them centrally and access them from a vanilla openelec using some sort of basic xbmc addon or something

drdobsg

Thu May 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Simon H said:

pandapi said:

Simon H said:

pandapi said:

Thanks

If you are trying to use the same media files across multiple clients this can be done using Windows or Linux shares or XBMC will even find other XBMC"s and play whatever they have on them over the network, it is also possible to have a network library shared by all the clients so it remembers what you have watched and even where in a program/movie you got to.

You don"t need to network boot, all the paths to files, library or even settings are configurable.

I did see some info about network booting openelec in general, but not pi specific.  In the first XBMC thread there was some info on how to boot to nfs, but it may have just been the root file system and not the entire kernel.

Openelec has an easy uptade feature: there is an SMB share called Update, copy the new KERNEL and SYSTEM files there and reboot and the pi will update itself.  In the settings it is called semi-automitic i think.  Not as automatic as you would like, but you can create a script to copy the new files to all your pis to make it more automatic.

drdobsg

Thu May 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Simon H said:

I have got a windows server with MySQL installed on it and the windows build of XBMC I have been using it for a while with a laptop and a PC running xbmc as my media centers. There are builds for Windows and Linux so not sure why you would need a virtual machine?
There is a Program add-on that can schedule library updates so your database is kept up to date if your server is left running. if you minimize XBMC it doesn's use any CPU and not much memory while idle.

When I get a spare Pi I am hoping to replace my power hungry server with a Pi.

I already have a VMWare ESX server running several VMs.  I was thinking about creating a VM to install a small XBMC distro, maybe even openelec.  I guess I can just add it to run on one of my existing VMs.

I am not sure even a dedicated Pi is good for this, it takes a long time for it to scan my library.

Hansel

Fri May 04, 2012 1:40 am

Hi guys,  I just bought a Bluetooth Rii (mini keyboard) and I have OpenELEC installed on the Pi.   I've just plugged the dongle in and rebooted, but it doesn't seem to be seeing the unit…

Oh oh…

Is it not working because OpenELEC just doesn't support it, or have I stuffed something up somewhere.  If it's not supported, will it be in the future?

Thanks!

Hansel

Fri May 04, 2012 6:41 am

cvtj97 said:

Latest build system and kernel files here - r10757.zip

http://www.morganelayne.com/ra.....pberry_pi/

Don"t forget to grab the new boot files

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot

I dont suppose anyone will be creating .img files for new releases, like was done with r10710?  That was incredibly helpful for us noobs

Unless there's an easy way to go about doing it myself?

Thanks!

Hansel

Fri May 04, 2012 8:04 am

Hansel said:

Hi guys,  I just bought a Bluetooth Rii (mini keyboard) and I have OpenELEC installed on the Pi.   I've just plugged the dongle in and rebooted, but it doesn't seem to be seeing the unit…

Oh oh…

Is it not working because OpenELEC just doesn't support it, or have I stuffed something up somewhere.  If it's not supported, will it be in the future?

Thanks!

Ok, so apparently there's no Bluetooth support in the Kernel  What are the chances of getting it added going forward?  These mini keyboards are pretty popular as far as I can tell...

Simon H

Fri May 04, 2012 9:03 am

Hansel said:

cvtj97 said:

Latest build system and kernel files here - r10757.zip

http://www.morganelayne.com/ra.....pberry_pi/

Don"t forget to grab the new boot files

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot

I dont suppose anyone will be creating .img files for new releases, like was done with r10710?  That was incredibly helpful for us noobs

Unless there's an easy way to go about doing it myself?

Thanks!

I will make an image of the latest build tonight and find somewhere to put it, dropbox maybe, my web hosting doesn't have unlimited bandwidth.

You can just replace the files on the FAT32 partition of your SD card (visible in windows) with the files from the links above then you won't loose your settings and library.

sraue

Fri May 04, 2012 9:19 am

Simon H said:

I will make an image of the latest build tonight and find somewhere to put it, dropbox maybe, my web hosting doesn"t have unlimited bandwidth.

You can just replace the files on the FAT32 partition of your SD card (visible in windows) with the files from the links above then you won"t loose your settings and library.

if you build with

PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make release

(with "release") you will get a tar.bz2 file which contains target/KERNEL and target/SYSTEM as well target/KERNEL.md5 and target/SYSTEM.md5

with my latest changes the last night you are able to update the builds via samba like explained here http://wiki.openelec.tv/index......g_OpenELEC

this only works with a build from the last github checkouts and not on earlyer builds!

additionally you now MUST copy the *.md5 files too

Hansel

Fri May 04, 2012 9:24 am

sraue said:

Simon H said:

I will make an image of the latest build tonight and find somewhere to put it, dropbox maybe, my web hosting doesn"t have unlimited bandwidth.

You can just replace the files on the FAT32 partition of your SD card (visible in windows) with the files from the links above then you won"t loose your settings and library.

if you build with

PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make release

(with "release") you will get a tar.bz2 file which contains target/KERNEL and target/SYSTEM as well target/KERNEL.md5 and target/SYSTEM.md5

with my latest changes the last night you are able to update the builds via samba like explained here http://wiki.openelec.tv/index......g_OpenELEC

this only works with a build from the last github checkouts and not on earlyer builds!

additionally you now MUST copy the *.md5 files too

sraue,

Sorry to bother, but as per my post above, what are the chances of building Bluetooth support into the kernels going forward so that people with (Rii/iPazzPort etc) mini keyboards can use them for XBMC?

That would be really good if possible...

sraue

Fri May 04, 2012 9:35 am

Hansel said:

sraue,

Sorry to bother, but as per my post above, what are the chances of building Bluetooth support into the kernels going forward so that people with (Rii/iPazzPort etc) mini keyboards can use them for XBMC?

Hansel,

OpenELEC as well XBMC for RPi is in a very very early stage. Please give us some time. I know there are many things which dont work. Even on OpenELEC for other plattforms we have some trouble with Bluetooth. This is because we added BT support mainly for Wii and PS3 Remotes. The PS3 remote support needs a disabled BT input support, thats why most input devices dont work without a modification. This will be changed later but is not top prio... esp. because some BT support in XBMC is planned afaik.

Hansel

Fri May 04, 2012 9:42 am

sraue said:

Hansel said:

sraue,

Hansel,

OpenELEC as well XBMC for RPi is in a very very early stage. Please give us some time. I know there are many things which dont work. Even on OpenELEC for other plattforms we have some trouble with Bluetooth. This is because we added BT support mainly for Wii and PS3 Remotes. The PS3 remote support needs a disabled BT input support, thats why most input devices dont work without a modification. This will be changed later but is not top prio... esp. because some BT support in XBMC is planned afaik.

Hi mate,

Sure, not a problem   I just bought the keyboard today (good move me) so I was a little worried I'd never be able to use it, but as long as BT support is likely to make it in down the track, I'm OK with that.   The keyboard can sit in a draw until the time comes

Thanks mate, and great job so far!

sraue

Fri May 04, 2012 9:46 am

Hansel said:

sraue said:

Hansel said:

sraue,

That would be really good if possible…

Hansel,

OpenELEC as well XBMC for RPi is in a very very early stage. Please give us some time. I know there are many things which dont work. Even on OpenELEC for other plattforms we have some trouble with Bluetooth. This is because we added BT support mainly for Wii and PS3 Remotes. The PS3 remote support needs a disabled BT input support, thats why most input devices dont work without a modification. This will be changed later but is not top prio… esp. because some BT support in XBMC is planned afaik.

Hi mate,

Sure, not a problem   I just bought the keyboard today (good move me) so I was a little worried I'd never be able to use it, but as long as BT support is likely to make it in down the track, I'm OK with that.   The keyboard can sit in a draw until the time comes

i know there are such keyboards without Bluetooth too (RF) maybe you can still change to a RF version (which will work)

edit: http://riiminikeyboards.com/ there are 2 RF models and one BT model

Hansel

Fri May 04, 2012 12:49 pm

sraue said:

Hansel said:

sraue said:

Hansel said:

sraue,

That would be really good if possible…

Hansel,

OpenELEC as well XBMC for RPi is in a very very early stage. Please give us some time. I know there are many things which dont work. Even on OpenELEC for other plattforms we have some trouble with Bluetooth. This is because we added BT support mainly for Wii and PS3 Remotes. The PS3 remote support needs a disabled BT input support, thats why most input devices dont work without a modification. This will be changed later but is not top prio… esp. because some BT support in XBMC is planned afaik.

Hi mate,

Sure, not a problem   I just bought the keyboard today (good move me) so I was a little worried I"d never be able to use it, but as long as BT support is likely to make it in down the track, I"m OK with that.   The keyboard can sit in a draw until the time comes

i know there are such keyboards without Bluetooth too (RF) maybe you can still change to a RF version (which will work)

edit: http://riiminikeyboards.com/ there are 2 RF models and one BT model

Unfortunately I bought it from eBay so there's slim to no chance they'll exchange it

I've had some awesome help tonight compiling a build that will hopefully work with the Rii.  We'll see!

david_m

Fri May 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi

thanks everybody for the work on helping

I have build Openelec without problems in about one hour.

It loads well, takes about 15 second and works fine.

If I plug a usb it's reconigzed at the moment and can play any file on it, but I tried to plug a WD 1T my passport usb external hard disk with no result.

A df -k (via ssh from a Linux desktop) shows both partition of the SD, but nothing else

Any idea on why Openelec doesn't mount the usb hard drive? I've read about nomountdisk problem on xmbc and openlec, but there's no grub files to edit, so I don't know what to do.

Thanks

nimdy

Fri May 04, 2012 6:03 pm

@david_m

Does the 1tb drive work in other RPi distros like Debian? Is the drive plugged into a powered USB hub?

MoonBuggy

Fri May 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Firstly, a huge thanks to everyone that's been working on this – the fact that I can get a system easily up and running within a couple of hours of my Pi coming through the letterbox is hugely impressive!

That said, I'm having a little trouble that I hope someone may be able to help with: I've tried builds 10710 and 10783, and in both cases I can see the 'openelec' network share, but I can't access the SSH or http interface (I've enabled the former in cmdline.txt and the latter from the settings panel). Any ideas?

EDIT: I'm an idiot - it was a problem with my local network, nothing to do with the XBMC install!

Return to “Media centres”