sraue

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:08 pm

HiggleBottom said:

I get this error when I type in PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for perl >= 5.8.1... 5.10.1
checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool
make: *** [system] Error 2 WHY WHY WHY!!!

you need to install the XML-Parser perl module on your hostsystem.

on Fedora:

sudo yum install perl-XML-Parser

for Ubuntu/Debian/ARCH i dont know the exactly package name, maybe you will find this via your package manager, or you install this like:

sudo perl -e shell -MCPAN
install XML::Parser
exit

sraue

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:11 pm

nimdy said:

Anyone know how to get the wireless working within OE?

This tutorial worked for me in Debian, but tools like apt-get arent in OE as far as I can tell.

http://omer.me/2012/04/setting.....pberry-pi/

OpenELEC contains a own settings addon to setup some stuff from OS within XBMC. You will find this via Programs/OpenELEC OS Settings. Before you should check if your WLAN driver is loaded and working with "ifconfig" (should show a wlan0 device).

HiggleBottom

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks SOOOOO much! Just started installing, been going for about half an hour.

Everything is good!  (BTW Im doing this in a Virtual Machine)

nimdy

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:44 pm

sraue said:

nimdy said:

This tutorial worked for me in Debian, but tools like apt-get arent in OE as far as I can tell.

OpenELEC contains a own settings addon to setup some stuff from OS within XBMC. You will find this via Programs/OpenELEC OS Settings. Before you should check if your WLAN driver is loaded and working with "ifconfig" (should show a wlan0 device).

Hi sraue. I found those settings and have put in the details of my network (SSID, password, IP etc). The problem is there is no wlan0 in ifconfig, so I guess OE isnt picking it up on boot?

sraue

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:53 pm

nimdy said:

sraue said:

nimdy said:

Hi sraue. I found those settings and have put in the details of my network (SSID, password, IP etc). The problem is there is no wlan0 in ifconfig, so I guess OE isnt picking it up on boot?

no, then the driver is not included or loaded. our kernel config still needs some rework i can only do if i have a board byself. you know which driver are loaded on debian? i can try to include this driver if you can paste me the output of "lsmod" and "dmesg" on any pastebin site and post the links here

nimdy

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:04 pm

lsusb and dmesg here:

http://db.tt/6SmR3beb

On Debian I installed the zd1211 drivers to get my device working.

sraue

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:24 pm

nimdy said:

lsusb and dmesg here:

thanks, have added some (more) USB WLAN and LAN drivers, this needs a new build. I have updated XBMC too today, but i am not sure how good the latest changes are working here, so if you have more problems with XBMC and the new build please stick on the older builds until its more stable.

nimdy

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:50 am

sraue said:

nimdy said:

lsusb and dmesg here:

thanks, have added some (more) USB WLAN and LAN drivers, this needs a new build. I have updated XBMC too today, but i am not sure how good the latest changes are working here, so if you have more problems with XBMC and the new build please stick on the older builds until its more stable.

Thanks. I'll report back with my results with the new build.

ryan29

Tue May 01, 2012 4:24 am

sraue said:

HiggleBottom said:

I get this error when I type in PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for perl >= 5.8.1... 5.10.1
checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool
make: *** [system] Error 2 WHY WHY WHY!!!

you need to install the XML-Parser perl module on your hostsystem.

on Fedora:

sudo yum install perl-XML-Parser

for Ubuntu/Debian/ARCH i dont know the exactly package name, maybe you will find this via your package manager, or you install this like:

sudo perl -e shell -MCPAN
install XML::Parser
exit

It's libxml-parser-perl for Debian.

xeviousx

Tue May 01, 2012 2:52 pm

sraue said:

Simon H said:

I tried adding the advancedsettings.xml I use in my other XBMC"s (Eden x86 builds) to use a central MySQL database and Thumbnail folder to the userdata directory but it wouldn"t boot after that until I removed it again so I am assuming that isn"t working yet?

thats all such things we must figure out the next time after we got our hardware. please test regulary any updated builds and if we provide complete builds byself and are able to replicate this issues you can report issues officially to us. i am really happy OpenELEC to hear works already so great, even if we never touched a RPi byself But this means Gimli, Dom and all other contributors have already done a great work with all the needed things like the kernel, the libs and XBMC.

Stephan

Using Marshcroft"s second build from 27th, the shared library worked great for me straight out of the box. I am sharing over NFS to a ubuntu 11.10 file server.

I transferred my sources.xml and advancedsettings.xml using filezilla to the pi and they were read perfectly.

I found the menus to be slow but usable and most video to play fine (menu controls were quite unresonsive when playing video) , will have to test it further this evening

Thanks for the awesome work done by everyone so far

Simon H

Tue May 01, 2012 7:27 pm

xeviousx said:

sraue said:

Simon H said:

I tried adding the advancedsettings.xml I use in my other XBMC"s (Eden x86 builds) to use a central MySQL database and Thumbnail folder to the userdata directory but it wouldn"t boot after that until I removed it again so I am assuming that isn"t working yet?

thats all such things we must figure out the next time after we got our hardware. please test regulary any updated builds and if we provide complete builds byself and are able to replicate this issues you can report issues officially to us. i am really happy OpenELEC to hear works already so great, even if we never touched a RPi byself But this means Gimli, Dom and all other contributors have already done a great work with all the needed things like the kernel, the libs and XBMC.

Stephan

Using Marshcroft"s second build from 27th, the shared library worked great for me straight out of the box. I am sharing over NFS to a ubuntu 11.10 file server.

I transferred my sources.xml and advancedsettings.xml using filezilla to the pi and they were read perfectly.

I found the menus to be slow but usable and most video to play fine (menu controls were quite unresonsive when playing video) , will have to test it further this evening

Thanks for the awesome work done by everyone so far

I have just given it another go and got it working, I am connecting to a windows server using SMB so my problems were.

1) The paths used a server name instead of a IP address and XBMC couldn't resolve it.

2) The Network share Username and Password was stored in settings on the windows XBMC but doesn't exist in OpenELEC so I had to change the paths to the following format in advancesettings.xml & sources.xml to include login.

<source>
<name>Movies</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://{username}:{password}@172.16.1.51/Movies/</path>
</source>

Can paste the files if anyone interested minus the Passwords

One more thing that has just started since I built the latest yesterday, if you skip 30sec/10min using the arrow keys the picture goes like a negative then slowly goes back to normal. Not a big thing but a bit annoying, wasn't happening previously.

It boots without any extra setting in config.txt on my TV since the latest start.elf etc but the menu over/under-scan is still doing weird things. If you calibrate it to fill the screen next reboot it is off the screen and if you reduce back to fill the screen again it goes to under-scan on the next reboot. It has had me going backward and forward till I gave up.

Video is fine full screen if you set it to "original size" and save for all video's.

XBMC remote on Android working great and even managed to stream video from my phone over Wifi using AllShare, it just found it on the network without any configuration.

Great Job, it has played everything I have thrown at it so far.

Anything anyone wants testing just let me know, will be happy to do if possible.

littlecharva

Tue May 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi,

I'm also having problems with wifi.  I managed to get my usb wifi adapter working in Debian and the same firmware file (RA2870.bin) seems to be present in the /lib/firmware on OpenELEC, but no wlan shows up when I do an ifconfig.

Here are my lsusb, lsmod and dmesg outputs: http://pastebin.com/0m05zbUf

I'd very much appreciate it if someone could help me figure out what to try next - I'm a bit of a Linux newb I'm afraid.

Thanks,

Anthony

teomac

Wed May 02, 2012 7:16 am

Hi guys, I have a question, do you think we can load XBMC without loading the whole desktop environment?

Raspi hasn't a lot of ram and this way can help having a bit more responsive  xbmc.

sraue

Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 am

teomac said:

Hi guys, I have a question, do you think we can load XBMC without loading the whole desktop environment?

Raspi hasn't a lot of ram and this way can help having a bit more responsive  xbmc.

OpenELEC is a complete OS which dont contains any desktop environment, only XBMC is loaded as the only application.

teomac

Wed May 02, 2012 7:35 am

Thank you sraue

Hansel

Wed May 02, 2012 10:14 am

So far so good with this  I'm still on the first build so perhaps later ones are a bit more stable, but I've had a few freezes today whilst doing the first scan of my media (which to be fair, is quite large).

Hoping it'll smooth out a bit once scanning is done, plus of course it's very early days. Great job guys!

EDIT:  Remembered what I was going to say.   Does the reboot (or shutdown for that matter) work at the moment?  Mine just seems to hang when I try it (unless it takes a very long time and I'm not patient enough)...

the_dvd_guru

Wed May 02, 2012 4:11 pm

littlecharva said:

It boots without any extra setting in config.txt on my TV since the latest start.elf etc but the menu over/under-scan is still doing weird things. If you calibrate it to fill the screen next reboot it is off the screen and if you reduce back to fill the screen again it goes to under-scan on the next reboot. It has had me going backward and forward till I gave up.

Video is fine full screen if you set it to "original size" and save for all video"s.

this is doing my nut in!!! cant for the life of me sort this out - any ideas??

the_dvd_guru

Wed May 02, 2012 4:52 pm

and heres a little vid

feature=youtu.be

fodi

Wed May 02, 2012 6:16 pm

the_dvd_guru said:

and heres a little vid

nice vid, but would've been better if you'd stood a bit further from the screen. it just brings me the vertigo that you always have to move the camera to show all parts of the screen

can you tell me what were the basic specs of these files you played? were they all x264 vids? were they all hd? mkv or mp4 container? what about sound? (ac3/dts/mp3) (i only saw sound details on law abiding citizen)

thanks

the_dvd_guru

Wed May 02, 2012 6:47 pm

ye soz about that i was filming on my iphone (not the best for that) anyway they were all x264 in mkv and the sound in dts although not dts through my tv....

only one it seemed to struggle with was a 1080p blue-ray of saving private Ryan - it did play but would stop now and again

i have a hauppauge capture device that i will do a video on later for a more refinded look!!!

madlib

Wed May 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Good stuff! exciting to see how this is developing…

Has anyone tried installing a "lighter" skin? XeeBo would be a good one to try out! I would be interested to see what it would do for browsing through the menus. Another one to try, or perhaps even better, would be Boxee Inspirat which is only a couple of MB in size.

XeeBo can be downloaded through the official XBMC repository and Boxee Inspirat can be downloaded from hxxp://dl.dropbox.com/u/3687220/Boxee%20Inspirat/skin.boxee.inspirat.zip

sraue

Wed May 02, 2012 7:50 pm

madlib said:

Has anyone tried installing a "lighter" skin? XeeBo would be a good one to try out! Would be interested to see what it would do for browsing through the menus. Another one to try, or perhaps even be better, would be Boxee Inspirat which is only a couple of MB in size.

watch:

feature=plcp

this is a new skin "Confluence-light" which *feels* a bit snappier. Its included in XBMC-master and the last XBMC for RPi, as well the OpenELEC sources are updated to this last stuff.

madlib

Wed May 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Wow… that .. looks .. awesome!! it definitely looks a lot more fluent to me! I am even more annoyed now that I will not get my Pi until the end of June :/

Keep up the good work sraue!!

Edit: thinking about it.. the performance of XBMC in this video on the Pi is actually better than my TiVo box from Virgin Media lol

Simon H

Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 pm

the_dvd_guru said:

and heres a little vid

You can get rid of the black frame by selecting "Original Size" by either pressing 'z' or clicking on the video icon while playing then do "Set as default for all video's" the menu's still change size but the video stays the same across reboots.

Mine will run at [email protected] which is better than it runs under debian.

Tavalin

Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Does OpenELEC build using hardfp by default or is there a flag to set before you compile?

Return to “Media centres”