wumpyr

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:03 am

Hi, what is the status of libCEC support for rpi/xbmc/openelec?

I have my rpi working with openelec but can't replace my older media server without this feature.

sraue

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:05 am

wumpyr said:

I have my rpi working with openelec but can't replace my older media server without this feature.

hmmm it *should* work (i cant test byself, actually) on OpenELEC with a pulse-eight CEC adapter. i will try to update some stuff this weekend, maybe also support for libcec-1.6.1 too. will provide a info here if it makes sense to create a new build.

Stephan

wumpyr

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:12 am

sraue said:

hmmm it *should* work (i cant test byself, actually) on OpenELEC with a pulse-eight CEC adapter. i will try to update some stuff this weekend, maybe also support for libcec-1.6.1 too. will provide a info here if it makes sense to create a new build.

Stephan

Hi Stephan - I don't have the pulse eight adapter.  I believe I read somewhere that there was going to be native libCEC support for rpi and no adapter would be required.  Can you please comment on that.  Thanks.

sraue

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:26 am

wumpyr said:

Hi Stephan - I don't have the pulse eight adapter.  I believe I read somewhere that there was going to be native libCEC support for rpi and no adapter would be required.  Can you please comment on that.  Thanks.

hmmm i dont know if there is hardware included for cec support, if its so, this support must be added to libcec and i am not sure if this is planned from pulse-eight (they develop libcec). so actually it will not work in this way, even if the hardware supports this.

wumpyr

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:36 am

sraue said:

hmmm i dont know if there is hardware included for cec support, if its so, this support must be added to libcec and i am not sure if this is planned from pulse-eight (they develop libcec). so actually it will not work in this way, even if the hardware supports this.

I found the reference I read earlier:

http://forums.pulse-eight.com/.....4#post1824

I guess we have to wait for pulse eight to add support to libcec.

sraue

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:40 am

wumpyr said:

I guess we have to wait for pulse eight to add support to libcec.

i too...

MrMan

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:56 am

I had my first proper test of this last night and it is looking great for an early build, thanks for the efforts so far.

I was watching a 720p video at 1hr 30mins long from a samba share. Most of the time it played very smooth with no issues. During one scene it got very laggy and skipped a lot. It was a rainy scene so probably a very high framerate at that point.

The whole thing completely locked up a few times with no warning. I was able to reboot and play through the same part with no issues.

Paul Webster

Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:51 am

wumpyr said:

My guess is that Dom is working on it.

tbar

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:49 am

Over at http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....38;ret=all (post# 39) rew has managed to tweak the firmware files to allocate 208 MB RAM for the CPU (and posted code to do it). Maybe someone with a RPi (obviously not me!) can use this to test OpenELEC with different memory settings to find an optimal split?

teomac

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:08 am

I can't understand if the raspberry pi can handle SD file such as divx, xvid, mkv ecc...

Because ho hope to buil up a media center with it.

masterluke

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:30 am

teomac said:

I can't understand if the raspberry pi can handle SD file such as divx, xvid, mkv ecc...

Because ho hope to buil up a media center with it.

SD works fine and MPEG4 is accellerated. This means most xvid\divx stuff you will come across will be fine. MKV's are generally h264 and so are fine too.

masterluke

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:32 am

tbar said:

Over at http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....38;ret=all (post# 39) rew has managed to tweak the firmware files to allocate 208 MB RAM for the CPU (and posted code to do it). Maybe someone with a RPi (obviously not me!) can use this to test OpenELEC with different memory settings to find an optimal split?

All memory is shared and so more system memory = less for the GPU. If you take too much from the system memory then you risk not having enough for the GPU video decode.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:44 am

We have the hardware built in to do what libCEC needs. Pulse 8 has a Raspberry Pi board now, and are waiting for rpi_newbie to connect the CEC service to their library. Once that is done Pulse 8 have agreed to also support Raspberry Pi in their GitHub code.

dom

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:49 am

@MrMan samba is the least efficient way of streaming. NFS, http, FTP etc will improve performance.
Turn off sync display rate to video. When that goes wrong it can make video go stuttery and look like we"re not keeping up.
Similar lockups can be due to power supply not being sufficient (as well as other causes).

wumpyr

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:53 am

MrMan said:

I had my first proper test of this last night and it is looking great for an early build, thanks for the efforts so far.

I was watching a 720p video at 1hr 30mins long from a samba share. Most of the time it played very smooth with no issues. During one scene it got very laggy and skipped a lot. It was a rainy scene so probably a very high framerate at that point.

The whole thing completely locked up a few times with no warning. I was able to reboot and play through the same part with no issues.

Yes it is promising however I am quite concerned about the cpu.  It is barely scraping by now.  Sometimes it plays fine but appears to be so close to the edge, any blip upsets it.  One time today I played an avi, the audio started but it took almost 30 seconds before you actually saw any video, once it started it was fine.  However directory listings are slow for large folders, especially when you sort.  Also returning to the main screen after a video ends takes a few seconds.  The UI responsiveness is borderline and while I understand it is only alpha at this stage, a 10-20% improvement through further optimisation still might not be that satisfactory.

I built a leaner openelec with most features disabled (leaving only NFS on) and it cut ~10MB from the system file and reduced the kernel as well, freeing up a little more memory.

wumpyr

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:00 am

dom said:

We have the hardware built in to do what libCEC needs. Pulse 8 has a Raspberry Pi board now, and are waiting for rpi_newbie to connect the CEC service to their library. Once that is done Pulse 8 have agreed to also support Raspberry Pi in their GitHub code.

Thank you for the update.  The support is eagerly awaited.

sraue

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:43 am

Hi,

i have updated the kernel patches for Raspi"s kernel, the libs, headers and boot files from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware . Also i included the debuggingtool "tvservice" which is now avaible for hardfp builds.

It is recommended to create a full build and replace the bootfiles (start.elf, bootcode.bin and loader.bin) with the one we provide or you find at https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot . If you keep the "build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/.ccache/" folder a second and all further builds are building much faster. To do a rebuild with keeping the .ccache folder:

cd OpenELEC.tv

git pull origin master

rm -rf build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/[a-z]* build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/.stamps

PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make

Test if you want and let me know how it works

thanks

Stephan

cvtj97

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:47 am

Latest build system and kernel files here - r10757.zip

http://www.morganelayne.com/ra.....pberry_pi/

Don't forget to grab the new boot files

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot

wumpyr

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:44 am

sraue said:

Test if you want and let me know how it works

So far so good.

two things:

1) tried to set AIRPLAY_SUPPORT="no" but the build eventually failed in xbmc.  Don't have the output handy but can file a bug if you want.

2) subtitles don't appear to work.  .srt files with the same name in the same directory.  nothing displays on screen.  I am new to xbmc but understand that should just work.

teomac

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:50 am

Thank so much

teomac

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:51 am

masterluke said:

tbar said:

All memory is shared and so more system memory = less for the GPU. If you take too much from the system memory then you risk not having enough for the GPU video decode.

Thank you so much

ps. sorry for double post

Blokie

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:32 am

Is there any chance someone could put together an .img file for an 8Gb card that a numpty (i.e. me!) could write to the card and just use?  (like can be done for the Debian build).

Mark

====

nimdy

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Anyone know how to get the wireless working within OE?

This tutorial worked for me in Debian, but tools like apt-get arent in OE as far as I can tell.

http://omer.me/2012/04/setting.....pberry-pi/

marshcroft

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:48 pm

nimdy said:

Anyone know how to get the wireless working within OE?

This tutorial worked for me in Debian, but tools like apt-get arent in OE as far as I can tell.

http://omer.me/2012/04/setting.....pberry-pi/

Take a look at this thread

http://openelec.tv/forum/12-gu.....orking-101

HiggleBottom

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:00 pm

I get this error when I type in PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for perl >= 5.8.1... 5.10.1
checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool
make: *** [system] Error 2 WHY WHY WHY!!!

Return to “Media centres”