I'd also like to extend my thanks to everyone who has contributed, even if it's just those who tried to compile it and discovered errors - every little helps.
I just tested the image uploaded earlier and got the same results as everyone else. Although it only boots 50% of the time. Like if I plug the pi in, the screen stays "no signal" until I unplug and replug in the pi, in which case it boots flawlessly. I think this might be because I'm using a Class 10 SD card though (didn't have any others around to test with), but that did boot debian flawlessly.
I tested a 720p file and it did seem to work, but as said above we lost the last 30-60s.
Seeking sort of works as long as you don't seek too fast, anything above 2x will eventually stop seeking and start playing normally. You can do the 30s skip thing as well (easiest way to get about 20mins into a half watched item for us). If you try to seek too far, it just restarts the episode.
I should mention this was all done streaming over SMB. If left alone, aside from the last 30s going, it does work rather well. The main issues we had were seeking and the laggy menu screens - menus would be slow to respond, even while the video underneath was playing smoothly. This also means that when you start playing an item, the menus "lag" on top for a few seconds into the beginning.
The XBMC remote for android works a treat, though!