drdobsg
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:20 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:59 pm

Does anyone know if there is a way to get a terminal open when the pi isn't on the network.  I wanted to try to test a wifi adapter.

marshcroft
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:40 pm

@SRAUE

Thanks for the update I will compile a build tonight and test it and put out an img file again if its working correctly.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5267
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:02 pm

@marshcroft can you create the img before running it?

I think the hdmi mode number gets written to the guisettings.xml which might cause the xbmc UI not fitting the screen problem some users have seen.

nimdy
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:20 pm

dom said:


@marshcroft can you create the img before running it?

I think the hdmi mode number gets written to the guisettings.xml which might cause the xbmc UI not fitting the screen problem some users have seen.



That'll be me!

marshcroft
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:21 pm

I will make sure I do, that way it will also make the size of the rar even smaller.

With this current build, does it make sence for me to build it on a 4gb or 8gb instead of a 2gb? I originally did it as 2gb just in case some people don't have any spare cards over 2gb sitting around. I am not sure with the swappiness if the 2gb is going to restrict or slow down any improvements made.

sraue
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:39 pm

marshcroft said:


I will make sure I do, that way it will also make the size of the rar even smaller.


can you also please report back if the howto (part2) will work exactly in this way, then i will try to create a script based on this steps which does thes this steps for easy installing (without img files)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5267
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Latest update seems good. Booted okay. Youtube worked. Various test clips worked.

And I got to see the end credits of a couple of clips (which previous build didn't allow).

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5267
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:07 pm

@sraue Could you include

/opt/vc/bin/tvservice

/opt/vc/bin/vcgenmd

/opt/vc/bin/vcdbg

in future. They allow useful debugging information to be captured.

sraue
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:11 pm

dom said:


Latest update seems good. Booted okay. Youtube worked. Various test clips worked.

And I got to see the end credits of a couple of clips (which previous build didn't allow).


great thanks much for your tips, will also include the debug tools

sraue
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:14 pm

dom said:


@sraue Could you include

/opt/vc/bin/tvservice

/opt/vc/bin/vcgenmd

/opt/vc/bin/vcdbg

in future. They allow useful debugging information to be captured.


tvservice is only avaible in the softfp folder is it safe to run on hardfp compiled target?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5267
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:23 pm

Did you build with the hard fp ABI (-mfloat-abi=hard) or with hard fp enabled (-mfpu=vfp) ?

The former will require a special build of tvservice (which I can do).

The latter is fine with the normal build.

sraue
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:33 pm

dom said:


Did you build with the hard fp ABI (-mfloat-abi=hard) or with hard fp enabled (-mfpu=vfp) ?

The former will require a special build of tvservice (which I can do).

The latter is fine with the normal build.


i build with "-mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfp" (so both), you can easy switch to softfp in projects/RPi/options. but per default we build with -mfloat-abi=hard

drdobsg
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:20 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:36 pm

sraue said:


marshcroft said:


I will make sure I do, that way it will also make the size of the rar even smaller.


can you also please report back if the howto (part2) will work exactly in this way, then i will try to create a script based on this steps which does thes this steps for easy installing (without img files)



When i followed your directions, it made a fat16 partition.  I am not sure if that was the problem, but i couldn't get the gui to start, only ssh.  I followed the instructions on setting up the sd card in expert mode and then got it to work.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5267
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:42 pm

sraue said:

i build with "-mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfp" (so both), you can easy switch to softfp in projects/RPi/options. but per default we build with -mfloat-abi=hard

Excellent. Hard abi is perfect for this.

I'll let you know when tvsevice etc are rebuilt with hard abi. I didn't realise they were actively in use, but from now on I'll update soft and hard abi libs/app together.

marshcroft
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:57 pm


drdobsg said:

When i followed your directions, it made a fat16 partition.  I am not sure if that was the problem, but i couldn't get the gui to start, only ssh.  I followed the instructions on setting up the sd card in expert mode and then got it to work.

Interesting you got a Fat16, how did you make the SDcard from the image using Linux or Windows? The image was made with it being Fat32, and I did a test onto my 16GB card before I published it and didnt see an issue, although I did my test using Windows as I am assuming most people that download it would have done it that way. I will make sure I put that in as a caution on the next image for other people.

Simon H
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:03 pm

The last release (Not Tonights) works well here, .mkv 720 & 1080, x264 and standard AVI but playback is stopping 30-60 secs before the end, looks like might be fixed in the latest release though.

I tried adding the advancedsettings.xml I use in my other XBMC's (Eden x86 builds) to use a central MySQL database and Thumbnail folder to the userdata directory but it wouldn't boot after that until I removed it again so I am assuming that isn't working yet?

The hardware test I have been using since the early days of XBMC is the title sequence to the Big Bang Theory and it passed that with flying colours, I have had desktops that freeze half way through that before

Thanks to the Openelec team, this is the "Killer App" for RPi!

sraue
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:04 pm

dom said:


sraue said:


i build with "-mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfp" (so both), you can easy switch to softfp in projects/RPi/options. but per default we build with -mfloat-abi=hard


Excellent. Hard abi is perfect for this.

I'll let you know when tvsevice etc are rebuilt with hard abi. I didn't realise they were actively in use, but from now on I'll update soft and hard abi libs/app together.


thanks much, "active used" its since 2 days, at least for openelec

sraue
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:24 pm

Simon H said:



I tried adding the advancedsettings.xml I use in my other XBMC's (Eden x86 builds) to use a central MySQL database and Thumbnail folder to the userdata directory but it wouldn't boot after that until I removed it again so I am assuming that isn't working yet?


thats all such things we must figure out the next time after we got our hardware. please test regulary any updated builds and if we provide complete builds byself and are able to replicate this issues you can report issues officially to us. i am really happy OpenELEC to hear works already so great, even if we never touched a RPi byself But this means Gimli, Dom and all other contributors have already done a great work with all the needed things like the kernel, the libs and XBMC.

Stephan

User avatar
Kushan
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:39 pm

I'd also like to extend my thanks to everyone who has contributed, even if it's just those who tried to compile it and discovered errors - every little helps.

I just tested the image uploaded earlier and got the same results as everyone else. Although it only boots 50% of the time. Like if I plug the pi in, the screen stays "no signal" until I unplug and replug in the pi, in which case it boots flawlessly. I think this might be because I'm using a Class 10 SD card though (didn't have any others around to test with), but that did boot debian flawlessly.

I tested a 720p file and it did seem to work, but as said above we lost the last 30-60s.

Seeking sort of works as long as you don't seek too fast, anything above 2x will eventually stop seeking and start playing normally. You can do the 30s skip thing as well (easiest way to get about 20mins into a half watched item for us). If you try to seek too far, it just restarts the episode.

I should mention this was all done streaming over SMB. If left alone, aside from the last 30s going, it does work rather well. The main issues we had were seeking and the laggy menu screens - menus would be slow to respond, even while the video underneath was playing smoothly. This also means that when you start playing an item, the menus "lag" on top for a few seconds into the beginning.

The XBMC remote for android works a treat, though!

cvtj97
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Here is the latest build's system and kernel files, grab r10710.zip

http://www.morganelayne.com/ra.....pberry_pi/

marshcroft
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:00 pm

cvtj97 said:


Here is the latest build's system and kernel files, grab r10710.zip

http://www.morganelayne.com/ra.....pberry_pi/



Thankyou, saves me this part of the build when I get home to complete it.

drdobsg
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:20 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:47 pm

marshcroft said:



drdobsg said:


When i followed your directions, it made a fat16 partition.  I am not sure if that was the problem, but i couldn't get the gui to start, only ssh.  I followed the instructions on setting up the sd card in expert mode and then got it to work.


Interesting you got a Fat16, how did you make the SDcard from the image using Linux or Windows? The image was made with it being Fat32, and I did a test onto my 16GB card before I published it and didnt see an issue, although I did my test using Windows as I am assuming most people that download it would have done it that way. I will make sure I put that in as a caution on the next image for other people.


i meant when i followed the instructions on the openelec.tv site.  I didn't use an image.  I used the Ubuntu livecd on my laptop and the mkfs.vfat command produced a fat16 partition.

marshcroft
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:12 am

Build Image is made again as there was no objections this was made with a 2GB SD card, I have not booted this image so this should help with any issues people saw before, expect a slow first boot. The SYSTEM partition is FAT32 but drdobsg saw when he made the image it set it to FAT16 so if doing this in Linux then please use advanced mode and make sure you have SYSTEM set to FAT32 and STORAGE as EXT4.

http://openelec.tv/component/k.....-pi-part-2

A big thanks to SRAUE and CVTJ97 for the hard work and files.

I have tested the image file after I uploaded it just to make sure it boots before posting it and my first boot was slower than the previous build around 3 minutes.

drdobsg
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:20 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:25 am

marshcroft said:


Build Image is made again as there was no objections this was made with a 2GB SD card, I have not booted this image so this should help with any issues people saw before, expect a slow first boot. The SYSTEM partition is FAT32 but drdobsg saw when he made the image it set it to FAT16 so if doing this in Linux then please use advanced mode and make sure you have SYSTEM set to FAT32 and STORAGE as EXT4.

http://openelec.tv/component/k.....-pi-part-2

A big thanks to SRAUE and CVTJ97 for the hard work and files.

I have tested the image file after I uploaded it just to make sure it boots before posting it and my first boot was slower than the previous build around 3 minutes.


Just to clarify, I never tried that image.  My problem was unrelated.

drdobsg
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:20 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:53 pm

New build works great.  The old build would stop right before the end of a clip and cause my HDMI signal to go crazy and my TV would say signal not supported.  New build fixes this.  I played a 1080p DTS sample and it went pretty smooth and sounded awesome, my receiver saw the DTS as expected.  I briefly tested some audio files and noticed it could not correctly play some FLAC files.  I will test some more this weekend.

Thanks to cvtj97 for posting it, my builds still throw some squashfs errors.

Return to “Media centres”