Nodge
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:00 pm

A bit of a weird one. 3 or 4 times this last week my TV has gone onto standby after using openelec on my pi. The pi is connected directly to my tv via hdmi. On each occasion I have just left xbmc running and switched to a different hdmi port on the tv to watch something else. Maybe a few minutes later the TV switches to standby for no apparent reason. I was wondering if maybe xbmc going into screensaver mode could have anything to do with it. It's probably just coincidence but I think also that on each occasion I had been using Twonky on my mobile but I know that this evening I had definitely shutdown Twonky before switching hdmi ports on the TV so I'm pretty sure that's not the culprit. Just to add that the TV only has this problem when the pi is connected.

John

User avatar
sparky0815
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:23 am

Fitted images for 1GB / 2GB / 4GB / 8GB / 16GB and 32GB sdcard of r11766 you can find on
http://sparky0815.de/openelec-download- ... fat-files/

more info: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 45#p143545

have fun :geek:
Twitter: @Sparky0815
Facebook Gruppe (RaspberryPi - Deutschland): http://on.fb.me/PnYE99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5460
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:25 am

Nodge wrote:A bit of a weird one. 3 or 4 times this last week my TV has gone onto standby after using openelec on my pi. The pi is connected directly to my tv via hdmi. On each occasion I have just left xbmc running and switched to a different hdmi port on the tv to watch something else. Maybe a few minutes later the TV switches to standby for no apparent reason. I was wondering if maybe xbmc going into screensaver mode could have anything to do with it. It's probably just coincidence but I think also that on each occasion I had been using Twonky on my mobile but I know that this evening I had definitely shutdown Twonky before switching hdmi ports on the TV so I'm pretty sure that's not the culprit. Just to add that the TV only has this problem when the pi is connected.
If your TV supports CEC, then this is the default behaviour when the screensaver kicks in.
You can conigure the CEC behaviour in settings/input/CEC.

trondis23
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 11:55 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:17 am

paolo.monteverde wrote: Hi, can you tell me how did you achieved gapless playback please?
Thanks
I use a build from June. Mine says it was compiled on June 26. But you can try one from June 23 here http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/openelec-rpi/

This one works perfectly for me, no gaps or load times between tracks, and no crackling either.

Nodge
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:53 am

dom wrote:
Nodge wrote:A bit of a weird one. 3 or 4 times this last week my TV has gone onto standby after using openelec on my pi. The pi is connected directly to my tv via hdmi. On each occasion I have just left xbmc running and switched to a different hdmi port on the tv to watch something else. Maybe a few minutes later the TV switches to standby for no apparent reason. I was wondering if maybe xbmc going into screensaver mode could have anything to do with it. It's probably just coincidence but I think also that on each occasion I had been using Twonky on my mobile but I know that this evening I had definitely shutdown Twonky before switching hdmi ports on the TV so I'm pretty sure that's not the culprit. Just to add that the TV only has this problem when the pi is connected.
If your TV supports CEC, then this is the default behaviour when the screensaver kicks in.
You can conigure the CEC behaviour in settings/input/CEC.
Thanks for this. I've not heard of CEC and couldn't find anything relating to it in my TV settings but there was a powersave option which was set to "On" so I set it to "Off" and fingers crossed I think this may have fixed it.
John

DJ_Datte
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi!

I have a issue with my rpi/openelec. I have a conf file (mainly to force hdmi, and some small stuff like that), and up to a few weeks ago, the rpi has worked flawless. I've updated images from time to time no problem (sometimes having to patch the firmware as well).

But my most recent time, about 2 weeks ago (whichever image was current at the time), after updating, the RPI refused to boot. I thought it was my SD Card that had borked, so I reflashed it in the PC instead of updating openelec, and nothing, completly dead.

I tried to remove my conf file, and it worked fine again.

Have some changes been done to the firmware to create this situation, so conf files won't let the rpi boot ?

Thank you kindly

Nodge
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Nodge wrote:
dom wrote:
Nodge wrote:A bit of a weird one. 3 or 4 times this last week my TV has gone onto standby after using openelec on my pi. The pi is connected directly to my tv via hdmi. On each occasion I have just left xbmc running and switched to a different hdmi port on the tv to watch something else. Maybe a few minutes later the TV switches to standby for no apparent reason. I was wondering if maybe xbmc going into screensaver mode could have anything to do with it. It's probably just coincidence but I think also that on each occasion I had been using Twonky on my mobile but I know that this evening I had definitely shutdown Twonky before switching hdmi ports on the TV so I'm pretty sure that's not the culprit. Just to add that the TV only has this problem when the pi is connected.
If your TV supports CEC, then this is the default behaviour when the screensaver kicks in.
You can conigure the CEC behaviour in settings/input/CEC.
Thanks for this. I've not heard of CEC and couldn't find anything relating to it in my TV settings but there was a powersave option which was set to "On" so I set it to "Off" and fingers crossed I think this may have fixed it.
John
This didn't work after all - the problem was still there. I think I solved it by going into xbmc system/settings/appearance/screensaver. The default mode is "dim" and when I selected "preview" the TV went into standby so this is definitely the cause. I've now reset the screensaver mode to "none" and so far so good.
John

Nodge
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:10 am

Further to the above I now have this problem sorted. So if your TV is going into standby when the xbmc screensaver kicks in then you need to adjust the CEC settings within xbmc. This is what Dom was telling me but I didn't find it. So from within xbmc you need to go System/Settings/System/Input Devices/Peripherals. This brings up the peripheral "Raspberry Pi CEC Adapter" and when you click on it you can adjust the settings for CEC. You can disable CEC altogether if required but one of the options is "Put devices in standby when activating screensaver" so I've just set this to off.
John

dapa79
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:55 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:13 am

The OpenElec image seems very compact. Is there any way to get the base installation extracted to a card for use with other full screen applications besides XBMC?

smuggly
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:09 pm
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:44 am

Benn using the OE images from the beginning. They are getting better. I have a card with 109XX and the latest is 11785 (That ive run) very Nice Keep Up The Good Work.
Smuggly In Nv. USA

smuggly
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:09 pm
Contact: Website

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:11 pm

smuggly wrote:Benn using the OE images from the beginning. They are getting better. I have a card with 109XX and the latest is 11785 (That ive run) very Nice Keep Up The Good Work.
Smuggly In Nv. USA

I stumbled onto XBIAN here on the forum. Its a bit faster check it out..

skooby
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi all,

Been trying all the different xbmc builds - xbian,openelec,raspbmc,raspbian and have now got one that seems to tick all the boxes for me. Thats openelec 11806. One question tho, is there any changelog that tells us whats happening with each build?

Skooby

mathewjenkinson
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:13 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Is there a preinstalled img for 11806?
skooby wrote:Hi all,

Been trying all the different xbmc builds - xbian,openelec,raspbmc,raspbian and have now got one that seems to tick all the boxes for me. Thats openelec 11806. One question tho, is there any changelog that tells us whats happening with each build?

Skooby

milhouse
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:27 pm

mathewjenkinson wrote:Is there a preinstalled img for 11806?
Just use an older 1GB/2GB/4GB "pre-installed image", then update your SD card FAT partition with the binaries from the 11806 build (you can get the latest automated builds from here).

magno23
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:11 pm
Location: Penafiel, Portugal

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:37 am

if you want to update to a more recent build without re-install the image on the sd card i recomend you to see this
http://openelec.tv/forum/133-installati ... spberry-pi

danco
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:01 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:04 am

I have lots of DVDs (VIDEO_TS) on my external 2TB disk.
Divx and Xvid is working superb, just there DVDs wont work.. If i start one .vob file i hear just sound very good, but video is blank...
Any news? I have latest release (2012-08-07 r11766)

gimli
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:29 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:23 am

danco wrote:I have lots of DVDs (VIDEO_TS) on my external 2TB disk.
Divx and Xvid is working superb, just there DVDs wont work.. If i start one .vob file i hear just sound very good, but video is blank...
Any news? I have latest release (2012-08-07 r11766)
Unless the PI Foundation starts selling the mpeg2 licence, mpeg2 doen't work.

danco
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:01 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:36 am

gimli wrote:
danco wrote:I have lots of DVDs (VIDEO_TS) on my external 2TB disk.
Divx and Xvid is working superb, just there DVDs wont work.. If i start one .vob file i hear just sound very good, but video is blank...
Any news? I have latest release (2012-08-07 r11766)
Unless the PI Foundation starts selling the mpeg2 licence, mpeg2 doen't work.
So this could be fixed with new builds when and if they will get licence for mpeg2?

worm
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:48 am

In theory, but it's a pretty big 'if'

tbar
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:10 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:57 am

worm wrote:In theory, but it's a pretty big 'if'
Maybe not that big an 'if' according to this tweet from the foundation: https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status ... 8087028736

Wanderlei
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:47 pm

sparky0815 wrote:Fitted images for 1GB / 2GB / 4GB / 8GB / 16GB and 32GB sdcard of r11766 you can find on
http://sparky0815.de/openelec-download- ... fat-files/

more info: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 45#p143545

have fun :geek:
Thanks for the images, mate. It makes it infinitely more easy for people to quickly try out all the different xbmc flavors for raspberry pi by having a image.

Wanderlei
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:20 am

I have tried all the xbmc for the raspberry pi, this one I think is the best.

The instructions from the wiki and OpenELEC site seemed a bit daunting, but it turned out pretty easy. I just grabbed the image that sparky0815 posted, then grabbed the newer binaries from the link milhouse posted, chucked then in the folder over my local network, reboot and done.

Is there any way to check that overclocking is working inside xbmc?

I just made a file config.txt inside the partition windows sees, then put in.
arm_freq = 800
sdram_freq = 450
gpu_freq = 300
core_freq = 300
h264_freq = 300
isp_freq = 300
v3d_freq = 300

Just wanna make sure the system is recognising the settings?

danco
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:01 am

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:35 am

One question I donwload OpenELEC from Sparky 2GB build = "2012-08-07 r11766 "

Format sd card with fat32 file system. Left name od the card the same (I think it is BlackBerry - taken from BB phone :) Is this OK to left that name?)

Then I extract build from Sparky with winrar and flash .img with Disk imager.

Everyhink is working great, except It didnt save any changes I made in config (language, last played movie.. etc..), even playlist is always empty (I thought it refresh itself?).
I have 2TB external disk shared on Pi and every file is working OK, only that it cannot save information...

any help?

Tnx

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5460
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:55 am

Wanderlei wrote: Just wanna make sure the system is recognising the settings?
Change any one to a very low value (e.g. arm_freq=100) and check performance gets work.
Or:
On the system info screen it displays fps (also does if you turn on debugging). You should see thar improve.

milhouse
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:21 am

Wanderlei wrote: Just wanna make sure the system is recognising the settings?
If you're modifying the ARM frequency, try "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and look at the BogoMIPS entry - it should give you some idea if your config.txt settings have had any effect.

The value should be close to whatever you set in config.txt eg. set a value of arm_freq=850 and your BogoMIPS should be about 847.

Return to “Media centres”