User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4478
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Tue May 01, 2012 12:23 am

MikeMelbAU said:


Abishur said: 


There's been an issue with network collisions with larger files causing kernel panics.  Your issue *might* be related.  The fix I got for the kernel panics was to go to the raspberry pi github and replace the kernel.img file in /boot with the one located here.  Just click on the button that says "raw" save the file and then get it onto /boot on the r-pi SD card.  I went ahead and made a .bak of the current kernel.img just for safety.


I have experienced the kernel panics - thus I moved my USB2 disk back onto the NAS. So thanks for the updated kernel image link. Much appreciated

Video playback does not cause kernel panics... the videos just end a couple of minutes too early. xbmc continues to respond and I can select other media to play.



It might still be related, but without the kernel panic it does seem unlikely.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5097
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Tue May 01, 2012 12:25 am

Videos finishing early is fixed in latest GitHub code.

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4478
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Tue May 01, 2012 12:27 am

dom said:


Videos finishing early is fixed in latest GitHub code.



Lucky dog   I fear that it's becoming abundantly clear that without much more detailed instructions compiling it myself is outside my present linux abilities.  Care to make an .img based off the updated code?  (Liam hurry up with finals )
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

User avatar
frying_fish
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Tue May 01, 2012 7:38 am

Abishur said:


dom said:


Videos finishing early is fixed in latest GitHub code.


Lucky dog   I fear that it's becoming abundantly clear that without much more detailed instructions compiling it myself is outside my present linux abilities.  Care to make an .img based off the updated code?  (Liam hurry up with finals )


For the code to compile xbmc from, wouldn't it be this:

(copied from the linked "howto compile" text in the first post)

git clone https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp

I would assume thats the latest xbmc code? Correct me if I'm wrong.

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4478
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Tue May 01, 2012 2:57 pm

frying_fish said:


Abishur said:


dom said:


Videos finishing early is fixed in latest GitHub code.


Lucky dog   I fear that it's becoming abundantly clear that without much more detailed instructions compiling it myself is outside my present linux abilities.  Care to make an .img based off the updated code?  (Liam hurry up with finals )


For the code to compile xbmc from, wouldn't it be this:

(copied from the linked "howto compile" text in the first post)

git clone https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp

I would assume thats the latest xbmc code? Correct me if I'm wrong.


That would be the place to get the latest code
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Tavalin
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Tue May 01, 2012 11:01 pm

Since I can't get NFS to work for me...

How easy would it be to build XBMC completely on the build machine and then manually copy over the files to a mounted SD card with the debian image on? (Similar to the OpenELEC build process)

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4478
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Tue May 01, 2012 11:19 pm

Tavalin said:


Since I can't get NFS to work for me...

How easy would it be to build XBMC completely on the build machine and then manually copy over the files to a mounted SD card with the debian image on? (Similar to the OpenELEC build process)



+1

Or vise versa?  Just build the whole thing on the r-pi itself and be patient through the extremely long build process?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

ntadej
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:28 am
Contact: Website

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Wed May 02, 2012 5:17 am

I'm still waiting for my Pi, but I've managed to build XBMC without it.

Instead of using NFS, you can chroot into rootfs you have on your build machine and install necessary dependencies. You need to install static qemu (qemu-user-static) and copy all qemu-*-static binaries from /usr/bin on build machine to /rootfs/usr/bin (required for chrooting). You may need to use Debian based Linux for that (successfully tested on Ubuntu). Every step is then the same as in the main instructions.

Now the unknown part: I think you can just copy everything that is produced in /opt/xbmc-bcm on build machine to /opt/xbmc-bcm on the SD card. I also recommend installing all packages also installed into rootfs that were required for building.

I can write a tutorial later as I've quickly written this instructions but I would prefer for my Pi.

gerkenz
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:29 am

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Wed May 02, 2012 6:40 am

OpenELEC 2.0 Beta 3 released!

it includes XBMC 11.0 and....

"XBMC now includes native NFS, AFP ,CIFS  and SSH share support"

maybe that will help with your NFS problems.

Tavalin
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Wed May 02, 2012 7:39 am

ntadej said:

I can write a tutorial later as I've quickly written this instructions but I would prefer for my Pi.

That would be much appreciated!  Thanks!

ntadej
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:28 am
Contact: Website

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Wed May 02, 2012 7:42 am

Huh, it seems that I've forgotten to finish my sentence. Anyway, I'll wait for my Pi to arrive as I currently can't test anything (this should be soon).

User avatar
Kushan
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Wed May 02, 2012 12:56 pm

gerkenz said:


OpenELEC 2.0 Beta 3 released!

it includes XBMC 11.0 and....

"XBMC now includes native NFS, AFP ,CIFS  and SSH share support"

maybe that will help with your NFS problems.




Isn't that the version of XBMC everyone has been using anyway?

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Wed May 02, 2012 8:59 pm

I get


xbmc.bin: WinEGLPlatformRaspberryPI.cpp:235: virtual bool CWinEGLPlatformRaspberryPI::SetDisplayResolution(RESOLUTION_INFO&): Assertion `m_dispman_element != 0" failed.


when I run xbmc compiled from the current GitHub head. Presumably it's related to this April 28th commit: "[rbp] changed to latest PI library interface. this will need a firmware update on you PI distribution".

Edit:

Updating the firmware was as simple as replacing start.elf. I also updated the kernel, but I don't know if that was strictly necessary.

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Thu May 03, 2012 7:29 pm

Here are the binaries:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NiJG ... VdVY1FhNmM

As mentioned, it requires the latest firmware from the raspberrypi/firmware repository on GitHub. Follow dom's instructions, but skip compilation and nfs steps and just copy the xbmc-bcm directory to /opt/.

MikeMelbAU
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:21 am

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 2:36 am

henle said:


Here are the binaries:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NiJG ... VdVY1FhNmM

As mentioned, it requires the latest firmware from the raspberrypi/firmware repository on GitHub. Follow dom's instructions, but skip compilation and nfs steps and just copy the xbmc-bcm directory to /opt/.



Thanks henle!

Your binaries mean that xbmc plays videos right to the end, and now that I have updated the kernel I should have the USB fix (no more kernel panics hopefully!).

Thanks again!

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4478
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 3:23 am

henle said:


Here are the binaries:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NiJG ... VdVY1FhNmM

As mentioned, it requires the latest firmware from the raspberrypi/firmware repository on GitHub. Follow dom's instructions, but skip compilation and nfs steps and just copy the xbmc-bcm directory to /opt/.



So if we're already using Liam's image we just need to copy over the files already in /opt right?  If we just use the base debian image, do you need to do anything other than copy the binaries into /opt... I guess there are a couple packages you would need to get.  I suppose I can just be patient until I'm back from my company trip and test it myself, but I'm just so impatient
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Tavalin
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Simply copying the directory into /opt/ wasn't enough for me.  When I tried to launch xmbc it failed due to a missing lib: libshairport.so

NickMon68
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Are we getting anywhere near a working solution for XBMC yet, I have seen theres a OS release with it installed..

Is there a "this is what you need to know/do list" at this point in time for getting XMBC running?

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4478
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 12:32 pm

Tavalin said:


Simply copying the directory into /opt/ wasn't enough for me.  When I tried to launch xmbc it failed due to a missing lib: libshairport.so



Were you using Liam's image that already had XBMC installed or the generic debian image?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Tavalin
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 1:23 pm

IAbishur said:


Tavalin said:


Simply copying the directory into /opt/ wasn't enough for me.  When I tried to launch xmbc it failed due to a missing lib: libshairport.so


Were you using Liam's image that already had XBMC installed or the generic debian image?


I think it was Liam's image (I think that's the last image I wrote to that SD card – I don't recall writing the 19/04/2012 debian build for a while now and I've rewritten the SD card quite a few times recently…)

I can try again later/tomorrow to be sure if you'd like.

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4478
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Back home and it's doing the same thing to me.  It's not seeing that file in /opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/ for some reason.  I tried adding that to my path, but it didn't take.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4478
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 5:43 pm

MikeMelbAU said:


Thanks henle!

Your binaries mean that xbmc plays videos right to the end, and now that I have updated the kernel I should have the USB fix (no more kernel panics hopefully!).

Thanks again!



For those of us having this "library not found" issue, could you explain the steps you took to get it to work?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Abishur said:


MikeMelbAU said:


Thanks henle!

Your binaries mean that xbmc plays videos right to the end, and now that I have updated the kernel I should have the USB fix (no more kernel panics hopefully!).

Thanks again!


For those of us having this "library not found" issue, could you explain the steps you took to get it to work?


Yeah, I should have mentioned that you need to run it with

sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib:/opt/vc/lib /opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin

(that's one line) if you're not doing that already.

I'll do a clean build with the new firmware headers and libraries for good measure, and try to write down some more detailed instructions.

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4478
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 8:24 pm

henle said:


Abishur said:


MikeMelbAU said:


Thanks henle!

Your binaries mean that xbmc plays videos right to the end, and now that I have updated the kernel I should have the USB fix (no more kernel panics hopefully!).

Thanks again!


For those of us having this "library not found" issue, could you explain the steps you took to get it to work?


Yeah, I should have mentioned that you need to run it with

sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib:/opt/vc/lib /opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin

(that's one line) if you"re not doing that already.

I"ll do a clean build with the new firmware headers and libraries for good measure, and try to write down some more detailed instructions.



Hmm... now I'm getting the error message

/opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/libshairport.so.0: file too short
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Dark_ph0enix
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 10:18 pm

My Raspberry Pi arrived earlier today, and I've been playing around with it, mostly using the Debian distro - so far, very impressed.

Having browsed through the forums I found the Debian / XBMC image from a few pages back - burnt it to an SD card and it boots perfectly fine - I'm having a problem, however, with accessing media stored on a 16GB Flash drive.

If I boot into Debian via xstart, it's recognised, mounts and I can browse the content contained within it - but I can't get XBMC to recognise it for the life of me - any idea what I could be doing wrong? [It's also recognised during the initial boot cycle]

Return to “Media centres”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests